• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

BadWolf

Would prefer a heavy hitter like Sony or MS to buy out Capcom. In fact MS buying out Capcom may give some confidence boost to their consoles in Japan, which, at the moment, is a fart in a hurricane.

Sony buying out Capcom would also be a dream. A Devil May Cry title with God Of War production values would be immense.

Sony buying Capcom was brought up in a thread a while back.

Verendus said that it makes a lot more sense for Sony to do collaborations with Capcom (ala SFV) instead of outright buying them.

Sesha

Sony is the same as with Sega. They don't gain much they don't already have by buying Capcom. Like BadWolf says, Capcom making games on Sony platforms is more beneficial to them.

You raise some good points. I guess I was looking at it purely as a Capcom fan, since SEGA does good by their studios and having a parent company like that would be ideal for Capcom.

Oh, so that's GungHo. Yeah, I remember people were quite afraid of them buying Atlus a few years ago. Not only that, but iirc a lot of guys were also scared of the possibilities of Tencent acquiring Atlus. In retrospect, I think GungHo turned out to be okay, judging by how they are treating Grasshopper. But Tencent still looks a little bit scary, imo.

Both Riot Games and now Epic are mainly focused on online titles and given how Tencent seems to be a company that is mainly focused on internet, I can't help but think that they might have had a huge influence over the directions that those companies took, especially in case of Epic.

I don't think anyone would like to see Capcom being focused on online only experiences.

P.S: Are you sure about the financial value of GungHo? Judging by the discussions that people had about how enormous they are, I was under the impression that they could easily buy companies like Capcom, or even SEGA if they wanted to.

I'm asssuming Tencent would keep Capcom's major franchises running as they have, since Tencent doesn't have any traditional console game IPs or makers thereof. Look at SNK. We all thought it would be the end when they were bought by that Chinese company. Now they've dropped pachinko, are hiring fighting game talent and old SNK employees like mad, and are working on KoF and other console games. Not saying that would happen with Capcom if something like Tencent bought them, but considering how well consoles are doing right now, it's not an instant doomsday scenario either. Of course, my wish is that Capcom will release RE7, DMC5, etc., and be successful with them in the hopes that we get more games from them.
Anyway, you will be seeing more online games from Capcom in the future. Monster Hunter Online is done in collaboration with Tencent, and the producer of that wants to work on other Capcom IPs in the future.

Pretty sure about GungHo. They're not huge, but they're owned by a huge company. SoftBank is massive.

I think many people don't like the idea of Capcom being bought by Sony or Microsoft, cause no matter if you own the respective platform or not, a lot of other fans will be screwed over.

I'm asssuming Tencent would keep Capcom's major franchises running as they have, since Tencent doesn't have any traditional console game IPs or makers thereof. Look at SNK. We all thought it would be the end when they were bought by that Chinese company. Now they've dropped pachinko, are hiring fighting game talent and old SNK employees like mad, and are working on KoF and other console games. Not saying that would happen with Capcom if something like Tencent bought them, but considering how well consoles are doing right now, it's not an instant doomsday scenario either. Of course, my wish is that Capcom will release RE7, DMC5, etc., and be successful with them in the hopes that we get more games from them.
Anyway, you will be seeing more online games from Capcom in the future. Monster Hunter Online is done in collaboration with Tencent, and the producer of that wants to work on other Capcom IPs in the future.

Pretty sure about GungHo. They're not huge, but they're owned by a huge company. SoftBank is massive.

Yeah, the SNK situation turned out great. I'm not being dismissive of Chinese companies, I just don't see Tencent being interested on investing in traditional single player focused console games. So, I would rather some other company like GungHo or as you mentioned 37Games buy Capcom, since they have proved themselves in the past.

I wouldn't mind Capcom releasing online games as long as we get single player experiences along side them. So, they can release a half dozen online MonHun titles or Basara games, but as long as we are getting traditional SP games like DMC and RE too, then I'll be happy with them.

I see. So, GungHo themselves can't buy Capcom. But if SoftBank wants to acquire them, then they can do that through GungHo, right?

Sesha

Yeah, the SNK situation turned out great. I'm not being dismissive of Chinese companies, I just don't see Tencent being interested on investing in traditional single player focused console games. So, I would rather some other company like GungHo or as you mentioned 37Games buy Capcom, since they have proved themselves in the past.

I wouldn't mind Capcom releasing online games as long as we get single player experiences along side them. So, they can release a half dozen online MonHun titles or Basara games, but as long as we are getting traditional SP games like DMC and RE too, then I'll be happy with them.

I see. So, GungHo themselves can't buy Capcom. But if SoftBank wants to acquire them, then they can do that through GungHo, right?

Companies are always interested if there's money to be made. Just because they are mobile/internet-focused doesn't mean they have to stay that way. Case in point, SoftBank owning GungHo which owns multiple traditional game companies. Tencent does own almost half of Epic, which when they bought them did make console games. Companies stay in business by branching out and/or by having a massively strong set of core products. Capcom would be doing a lot worse if they didn't have mobile, online and pachislot to supplement their revenue stream.

I think the general plan is to have MMO spin-offs on the side. Like I said above, branching out. I assume Monster Hunter Online and Dragon's Dogma Online are just the beginning of MMO spin-offs.

I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it. GungHo could probably buy a majority stake in Capcom on its own without having to swallow it wholesale.

Companies are always interested if there's money to be made. Just because they are mobile/internet-focused doesn't mean they have to stay that way. Case in point, SoftBank owning GungHo which owns multiple traditional game companies. Tencent does own almost half of Epic, which when they bought them did make console games. Companies stay in business by branching out and/or by having a massively strong set of core products. Capcom would be doing a lot worse if they didn't have mobile, online and pachislot to supplement their revenue stream.

I think the general plan is to have MMO spin-offs on the side. Like I said above, branching out. I assume Monster Hunter Online and Dragon's Dogma Online are just the beginning of MMO spin-offs.

I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it. GungHo could probably buy a majority stake in Capcom on its own without having to swallow it wholesale.
Epic is actually why I'm wary of Tencent. It seems that they have shifted their focus in the past few years from traditional console games to online titles and I think that might be the influence of Tencent. That's why I don't think they'll be interested in single player games. Even if there is market for them, so is one for online titles so they'll problem shift Capcom's focus towards that as well.

MMO makes sense for MonHun or DD but I don't think you can have such spin-offs for games like DMC or RE. Either way, I would be okay as long as they make single player titles as well.

Yeah, that's one way to take control of a company without outright buying it. Although, I think Capcom has an anti hostile take over strategy in place that won't let a single company to buy the majority of their stocks.

Seyavesh

A LOT has changed over 8 years and suffice to say that a DMC4.5 game would not impress anyone.

if that .5 was giving dante a full darkslayer moveset, a new campaign/bosses and a million alternate costumes and weapons then i'd be down

i am 100% fine with the dmc4 combat system

impressed on the other hand, ehhh

Dahbomb

if that .5 was giving dante a full darkslayer moveset, a new campaign/bosses and a million alternate costumes and weapons then i'd be down

i am 100% fine with the dmc4 combat system

impressed on the other hand, ehhh
Yeah ok buddy.

They don't have to change much about the combat... it's every thing else they need to worry about. And that includes the content.

Seyavesh

Yeah ok buddy.

just give me every single weapon that has ever appeared in dmc with the same movesets/slight alterations to the base rebellion moveset, even if they're silly limited ones like dmc1 alastor having the 3 hit downswing or the weird b/c variation

throwback weapons for DAYS

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's interesting because in those 8 years, the landscape and expectations have changed in a lot of dramatic ways with regard to action games as a whole... and some of them debatably regressive.

The age of cinematic action gaming has kind of come and gone. Or at least waned a bit. You're seeing a shift towards hyper atmospheric and unforgiving titles with minimalistic story telling, like the Soulsborne series and Ni-Oh. At the same time, the indies have become a mainstay and showcased the viability of incredibly streamlined lower budget titles with a focus on gameplay. Kickstarters have similarly shown prospering titles with middle of the road budgets.

This generation has shown that there's a great deal of variety that can flourish, both within and outside of AAA game development. Moreso than ever really.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
There's still demand for challenging, mechanics heavy games but the games have to be well designed and content rich.

Well designed, definitely. None of the trailblazers in these different budget tiers are poorly designed. They just have different scales.

But in terms of being content rich, "content" comes in different shapes and sizes, whether it be exposition, cinematics, single player content, multiplayer content, extra modes, side story campaigns, unlockables... certain budget constraints and design templates will weigh these differently, and most approaches are really fine as long as the game is priced accordingly. We've long talked about there being a sort of DMC pilot, almost a Bloody Palace beta on the cheap.

One thing I can say with certainty, a simple promise of content down the line does not and will not cut it. And Capcom now knows this.

Kaleinc

Banned
I can't see that much of a downside to having all of Capcom's catalogue exclusively tied to Sony platforms; purely from the point of view of a consumer.
From the point of view of a consumer who owns xbox or pc only? I see a very very clear downside.

One thing I can say with certainty, a simple promise of content down the line does not and will not cut it. And Capcom now knows this.

I certainly hope so. They still seem to be in denial when it comes to SFV. Sure, they say that they underestimated the love for SP contents in the game and that they will do better. Yet, they haven't said anything about Arcade mode which is something that a lot of people want to see, or any other SP content for that matter. Even the Extra Battle that was supposed to be added shortly after SFV's release, is MIA. (Alongside the dailies)

There's still demand for challenging, mechanics heavy games but the games have to be well designed and content rich.

True but DMC (I feel) has never been content rich. It's a game with a good difficulty to it. They aren't that hard but can provide a decent challenge at times. In terms of content, there isn't much else to it. Story and BP aren't a huge replay factor outside of the dedicated. I've also felt the games aren't that well designed. The levels don't compliment the gameplay in anyway, especially the combat.

From the point of view of a consumer who owns xbox or pc only? I see a very very clear downside.

As someone who didn't even want a PS4, but wanted to play SFV too keep up with Street Fighter, yes it is a downside.

Dahbomb

DMC3 had a solid amount of content to it. Decent campaign length, lots of bosses, lots of weapons, lots of cutscenes, lots of costumes and different modes.

It's not unreasonable to expect at least that much for DMC5.

The games not being well designed in the levels is something that has always been true which is why they should be trying to rectify it along with the enemy AI.

Seyavesh

ayyyy that wip
also the alastor/ifrit effects got released i guess, though they're still p. janky haha
nRYxjoM.jpg

AlWHjga.jpg

Dahbomb

It's time for the daily DMC5 prayer to Itsuno:

Itsuno-sama who art thou in Capcom
Hallowed be thy controller
Thy mercy come
Thy design be done
In action gaming, as it is stylish
Give us this day our daily DMC
And forgive our scrubbishness
As we also have forgiven those who are scrubbier
And lead us not into bad action games....

But deliver us Devil May Cry 5!

Golnei

DMC3 had a solid amount of content to it. Decent campaign length, lots of bosses, lots of weapons, lots of cutscenes, lots of costumes and different modes.

It's not unreasonable to expect at least that much for DMC5.

The games not being well designed in the levels is something that has always been true which is why they should be trying to rectify it along with the enemy AI.

3 didn't seem lacking in that regard to me either, I'd be happy enough with the next game being similar to it in terms of breadth, though it'd be a bit of a noticeable step back to go to even two characters after 4SE's expanded cast. Who knows about the level design - I feel like it'll depend on how much they're planning on reconsidering their base approach and overall game structure for significantly improving it to become a concern.

In any case, I really hope they can manage something like 3 from the outset with V - with the series' turbulent trajectory from 4 onwards, it really needs a solid, complete entry.

ayyyy that wip
also the alastor/ifrit effects got released i guess, though they're still p. janky haha
nRYxjoM.jpg

AlWHjga.jpg

Is that using Nero's alternate costume for the base? If it's still using the base shirt model rather than a shirtless model edit, I should try and see how it looks with the transparent/wet shirt texture I did as a by-product of the Wonder Red texture.

Seyavesh

Is that using Nero's alternate costume for the base? If it's still using the base shirt model rather than a shirtless model edit, I should try and see how it looks with the transparent/wet shirt texture I did as a by-product of the Wonder Red texture.

yeah, i think so?
some of it appears to be from his default costume rather than ex01 so it's like a mishmash of parts.

Sesha

DMC3 had a ton of content for the time. 10 weapons, 6 combat styles, 13 unique bosses. Keep in mind that DMC3 wasn't a top-tier AAA title. It had a ton of combat-related and about two hours of well-produced elaborate cutscenes, but the graphics were ok for the most part, levels are very small, assets are heavily reused, and outside of costumes and extra modes there's not a lot of optional content. Compare to other contemporaries around the same time like GTA San Andreas, Battlefront 2, Oblivion, RE4, MGS3 and FFXII. Heck, even games like Okami.

ayyyy that wip
nRYxjoM.jpg

AlWHjga.jpg

Looks great! Rebellion DT in particular looks amazingly well done. Someone should tweet this to Itsuno, along with asking for modding tools in DMC5.

Does the creator of those mods create his own models? I know that importing models has become a lot easier because of the new tool someone made.

69150f8b96.png

He's such a nice guy.

Did he post this in response to something specific?

Seyavesh

Looks great! Rebellion DT in particular looks amazingly well done. Someone should tweet this to Itsuno, along with asking for modding tools in DMC5.

Does the creator of those mods create his own models? I know that importing models has become a lot easier because of the new tool someone made.
to clarify the guy who's making the dmc3 mod is vainiuss1, who also ported the alastor mod while the guy who made the dmc1 dante mod is thinredpaste.
thinredpaste's mesh edits and textures are his own original stuff (from what i can tell he edited vergil's coat/used it as a base for the dmc1 dante coat while the rest is straight super heavy editing of the already existing dante model)
vainiuss1 is porting stuff over and fully adding new textures and whatnot instead of the super clever mesh editing that TRP did, so it's two different-ish processes using the same tools

and i'm just farting around making effects for 'em 'cuz i like that stuff to match while attempting to get competent with dante
pr9CPuv.jpg

edit:
decided to tweet it at itsuno, though i don't expect a response since it seems he's a pretty radio silent dude

Sesha

to clarify the guy who's making the dmc3 mod is vainiuss1, who also ported the alastor mod while the guy who made the dmc1 dante mod is thinredpaste.
thinredpaste's mesh edits and textures are his own original stuff (from what i can tell he edited vergil's coat/used it as a base for the dmc1 dante coat while the rest is straight super heavy editing of the already existing dante model)
vainiuss1 is porting stuff over and fully adding new textures and whatnot instead of the super clever mesh editing that TRP did, so it's two different-ish processes using the same tools

and i'm just farting around making effects for 'em 'cuz i like that stuff to match while attempting to get competent with dante
pr9CPuv.jpg

edit:
decided to tweet it at itsuno, though i don't expect a response since it seems he's a pretty radio silent dude

Thanks for clarifying. I had forgot their usernames as well.

Good show. Like Akiller said once, he reads every tweet and usually answers if it's written in Japanese. I can translate for you if you want.

Dahbomb

A bunch of game companies are starting E3 reveals already (Dawn of War 3, COD, BF etc.).

Though those are more high profile and can afford to be unveiled on a random Tuesday.

DMC5 needs that E3 exclusive reveal.

A bunch of game companies are starting E3 reveals already (Dawn of War 3, COD, BF etc.).

Though those are more high profile and can afford to be unveiled on a random Tuesday.

DMC5 needs that E3 exclusive reveal.

Even the ever so oblivious Atlus JP has announced that Persona 5 will be at E3 this year! If that can happen, then anything is possible.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DMC3 had a ton of content for the time. 10 weapons, 6 combat styles, 13 unique bosses. Keep in mind that DMC3 wasn't a top-tier AAA title. It had a ton of combat-related and about two hours of well-produced elaborate cutscenes, but the graphics were ok for the most part, levels are very small, assets are heavily reused, and outside of costumes and extra modes there's not a lot of optional content. Compare to other contemporaries around the same time like GTA San Andreas, Battlefront 2, Oblivion, RE4, MGS3 and FFXII. Heck, even games like Okami.

While DMC3 didn't match the scale of GTA: San Andreas or the painstaking detail of MGS3, I would still say that DMC3 was pretty top tier production-wise for 2005. RE4, GTA, and MGS were really ahead of their time... "AAA" before "AAA" was really a thing. I wouldn't consider them any sort of standard for the time.

Given the vast majority of its competition on the same hardware, DMC3 looked good, featured intricately mocapped cutscenes, and was a fairly lengthy and streamlined experience overall. The production values were certainly not weak.

same, cant do training room on console fuck exclusivity

I want Capcom to stay multi

No one is advocating console exclusivity. But if there were some deal with Sony, we know that there'd be a PC version as well.

69150f8b96.png

He's such a nice guy.

I hope Capcom continues to push him as a creative spokesperson. Until DMC4SE, Itsuno was more behind the scenes. It wasn't until DMC4SE's promotions and advertising that we saw more frequent and elaborate interviews/streams with him, and trailers with his name emblazoned across the screen in celebration.

Dahbomb

DMC3 was still an ambitious title at that time and so was DMC1.

But what was ambitious back then isn't ambitious anymore.

Akiller

itsuno has 79 tweets since 2008 he rarely replies to anyone

Given that 99% tweets he receives are something like
"DMC5 pls"
"Wheres DMC5?"
"Are you working on the next DMC?"
"What about your upcoming project?"
"Pls make Dragon's Dogma 2 !"
"When are you gonna announce your new game?"

I'm not surprised we never see him posting replies.

Sesha

While DMC3 didn't match the scale of GTA: San Andreas or the painstaking detail of MGS3, I would still say that DMC3 was pretty top tier production-wise for 2005. RE4, GTA, and MGS were really ahead of their time... "AAA" before "AAA" was really a thing. I wouldn't consider them any sort of standard for the time.

Given the vast majority of its competition on the same hardware, DMC3 looked good, featured intricately mocapped cutscenes, and was a fairly lengthy and streamlined experience overall. The production values were certainly not weak.

Oh, I'm not knocking on DMC3. I just wanted to point out that although DMC3 wasn't an extremely high budget game which is plainly obvious by how simple it is in some areas, it was still content rich for the time, despite its shortcomings.

They were still AAA. We just didn't use the term as much back then. People only started getting savvy about the term around the beginning of the 7th gen.

yeah, go ahead- my tweet is:
https://twitter.com/spuaidaman/status/728371162099515392

i'm very curious on what he/the dmc team think about modding in dmc in general

I'll have a crack at it when I get home.

I think the expectations has changed quite drastically in past years, since DMC3SE came out. At the time 3SE was a very content rich package with two characters, BP, many bosses and weapons, etc.

But now, people won't be satisfied with these things alone. Look at 4SE for instance. 5 characters, tons of weapons, BP, a lot of costumes (more than 3SE), more difficulties than 3SE, etc.

And yet, you got people like me who are still disappointed in the lack of content in the game. I think it's just the standards have changed. You look at similar titles like GoW, KiD, Onechanbara, Dante's Inferno, etc. and you see that they are doing much more (as in have many different modes and such that aren't available in DMC games) so it's natural that you want to see the same in DMC.

If Capcom tries to release a game similar to DMC3SE (in terms of content) with DMC5, then I fully expect them to get a lot of criticism both from fans and media. (just like how it happened with SFV)

Dahbomb

I need an appropriate DMC gif to post when DMC5 gets announced.

That isn't "The time has come" because a lot of people will be posting that one.

Sesha

DMC4SE has roughly 100k owners on Steam according to SteamSpy. It's not quite there yet, but it's only 3k off and the error margin is ± 7,460.

I'm really curious as to how it's done on consoles. If we're lucky we may find out on May 10th when the fiscal year report comes out, as they've listed for significant titles with sub-1m sales before. For example Onimusha: DoD has done roughly 600k according to an old report.

DMC4SE has roughly 100k owners on Steam according to SteamSpy. It's not quite there yet, but it's only 3k off and the error margin is ± 7,460.

I'm really curious as to how it's done on consoles. If we're lucky we may find out on May 10th when the fiscal year report comes out, as they've listed for significant titles with sub-1m sales before. For example Onimusha: DoD has done roughly 600k according to an old report.

They update the Platinum titles list on the same day, right? It would be crazy if DMC4SE manages to get in there.

I believe so. If not then a few days later at most. Would be nice if DMC4SE was there, but it's most likely a pipe dream, at least for now.

I just noticed that 100k bit in your last post. How accurate is SteamSpy? If it really has only done 100k on PC then yeah, 1mil figure seems impossible right now.

I had hope that PC figure alone would be around 300k.

Sesha

I just noticed that 100k bit in your last post. How accurate is SteamSpy? If it really has only done 100k on PC then yeah, 1mil figure seems impossible right now.

I had hope that PC figure alone would be around 300k.

Fairly accurate, except the first two days within a game's release, and when a game has been free for a weekend. In the case of DMC4SE there's an error margin of 7.5k, so the actual number can be higher or lower within that span.

Fairly accurate, except the first two days within a game's release, and when a game has been free for a weekend. In the case of DMC4SE there's an error margin of 7.5k, so the actual number can be higher or lower within that span.
Thank you for the explanation, Sesha. That's quite an impressive system they got there, I wish we had similar applications for XBL and PSN.

Sadly, if it's that accurate then yeah, 1mil number really is a pipe dream.

Top Bottom