• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

I need to get around to playing this. I have it in my backlog.
When you find the deep systems lying in the game it's pretty great. I mean you cna just frame counters mid combo, the dodge system is well thought out, the characters are great.
The game felt like an interesting mix of DMC and Musou with some neat gameplay ideas and a likeable cast of characters.

I really enjoyed my time with it.

ShinMaruku

Those games really turned a corner with the Kagura edition where they fleshed out the lore a bit more and added the framework in what we see here. They actually had some mechanics removed (For some enemies and boss finishers you had to drink the enemies blood to weaken them and it boosted some stuff tempoarily) in this one but the replacements overall were pretty dope. They really handled sub weapons kinda how DMC does but with a bit more stuff baked in.

Kagura's throwing blade can actually be charged for multiple throws, if you max it out you can chuck a lot of them out and have a good combo builder or something creating space. Saki's counter mechanic can actually be just framed out of some attack animations allowing you to save your self or actually put that into your plan of attack.

A collab with some the the systems getting a look over by Itsuno would be great.

RazMaTaz

Banned
Guys isn't it CURIOUS that the highest tier in that bundle includes the two most recent games in the main line franchise?

RE6 -> RE7
DMC4SE -> DMC5

Come on now Capcom... JUST BRING IT ALREADY!

This.

I think people are too literal with respect to Itsunos tweet. The day he announced it on twitter that hes working on a new game doesn't mean that is the exact day he began work. I would say there is a solid 4-6 months prior to that twitter announcement that we dont know about where concepts, story, asset prototypes were discussed/created on whatever game he is currently working on, and if it is Devil May Cry 5, then possibly alot of recycled assets that didnt make it into this game (for reserve reasons) is going to be tweaked and added to DMC5. Lets not forget Capcom did state that they are looking to decline the development cycle so iteration of games are released more regularly. As Capcom are not pumping their titles out as aggressively as they used to, they can better utilise more staff to get the job done much quicker. I am unsure if Capcom has done any cut backs with staff since 2013 as their hasnt been any public announcements.

Im fairly optimistic that it will be a Devil May Cry title. If it is a Dead Rising game then I would genuinely be pissed on the basis that there has already been a DR title.

Sesha

GuardianE beat me to the punch, meant to say it'll bump Steamspy numbers. Would rather not open the a can of worms with actual sales numbers.

Whelp, the mocap payed off!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baRRrEO8FXY

At least it was worth the laugh.

That's the second pachinko game based on DMC4. The last one came out in 2013. In the first one, instead of hitting the lever, you revved Red Queen. It was truly delightful.

So was that what the Rueben and Jonny Facebook post from? When did the pachinko game come out?

It's not out yet. The YouTube description reads "I wonder, maybe July?".

Seyavesh

So was that what the Rueben and Jonny Facebook post from? When did the pachinko game come out?

i guess so- based off trailer uploads it seems like it just got announced.
and the footage certainly has a whole fuckton of new cinematics for it in ol' pachinko fashion i guess
it's kinda weird that there's no vergil though considering it's basically dmc4se pachinko and vergil is the big star of 4se in the first place, haha
also... i just realized that the trailer starts with devils never cry
the dream of getting that shit jammed into dmc5's trailers is alive

DEHagZx.gif

Sesha

I'll have it for today.

giphy.gif

I'm grateful to be alive to see this realized.

WTF!

It's not fair! I want to see those cinematics as well T_T

Ahhhh, why didn't you mention pachislot in the title, Sesha? Trust me, you don't wanna get banned around E3 :(

I remember what happened to you.

Believe it or not, I hit enter by accident. That's why "new" was capitalized.

Though maybe I do. I have my thesis I should focus on.

Dahbomb

Man if Reuben and Bosch were brought back for a god damn slot machine game....

Well they could've worked on both at the same time.

Still that's a lot of effort to promote a god damn slot machine..

And that gif is saved for future usage LMAO!

I remember what happened to you.

Believe it or not, I hit enter by accident. That's why "new" was capitalized.

Though maybe I do. I have my thesis I should focus on.
Yeah, I know it first hand how much a ban around E3 hurts.

Ugh, that makes it even worse.

Be that as it may, it would be awful for any of us to be banned if/when DMC5 gets announced.

Getting over that apparently accidental troll by Sesha (
It's all good, I haven't been gotten like that in a long time)
, this isn't discouraging news as GuardianE said. At least there's a definite pulse now, Pachislot or not.

Golnei

As others have said, Vergil's absence is the weirdest thing about it. I wasn't exactly looking closely; but were there no SE costumes in the whole thing either? Clearly, this means they're still saving some things for the third DMC4 pachislot. Maybe it'll have a compilation trilogy release on mobile, like the RE6 pachislot app?

TreIII

Or rather, they just didn't want to deal with all the spam and down-votes Sesha's thread likely directly contributed to.

Dahbomb

Or rather, they just didn't want to deal with all the spam and down-votes Sesha's thread likely directly contributed to.
More like they probably have DMC5 ready to get unveiled and they want to prep the fanbase for the unveil. Don't want people perceiving the IP in a poor way due to slot machine business stuff.

But that's probably giving Capcom too much credit.

Sesha

While my thread undoubtedly funneled a lot of traffic to that video, it wasn't just thanks to me. It was posted on GameFAQs, devilmaycry.org and I think /v/ as well.

More like they probably have DMC5 ready to get unveiled and they want to prep the fanbase for the unveil. Don't want people perceiving the IP in a poor way due to slot machine business stuff.

But that's probably giving Capcom too much credit.
Could also indicate Capcom isn't quite ready to reveal DMC5, so another year? They also had the rueben and Johnny pic taken down too...

Dahbomb

Could also indicate Capcom isn't quite ready to reveal DMC5, so another year? They also had the rueben and Johnny pic taken down too...
With that new Capcom statement about polishing up titles I can believe that.

It sucks but if we can get a better DMC5 out of it then I can wait longer for a reveal.

DMC5 in 2022.

Capcom wanted to make sure that the game gets as much dev time as possible to avoid another SFV situation. As a result the game needs to sell 10 million in its first month or it'll be a commercial failure.

Oh, almost forgot. Even with all of the dev time and budget it had, the game still is as unfinished as DMC4 so you need to fight each boss 5 times and go through each level a half dozen time. And forget about any extra modes like Training, Mission mode and such. You'll only get a Campaign and maaaaaybe a 20 level long BP and you'll like it. No extra costume as well, you can buy a Super Dante for $4.99 but that's it.

I'm obviously joking but the scary thing is that I can actually see Capcom do a few of those things, like the game being half-assed or light on extra contents.

Dahbomb

I mean if I would want to tweet anything to the DMC team it would be BB.

Dark Souls 3 is pretty damn good though but BB is where they should be looking at the most in terms of aesthetics, art, atmosphere and presentation.

Sesha

I mean if I would want to tweet anything to the DMC team it would be BB.

Dark Souls 3 is pretty damn good though but BB is where they should be looking at the most in terms of aesthetics, art, atmosphere and presentation.

Well, sure, but Dark Souls 3 will probably end up outselling Bloodborne, and if a company like Capcom needs convincing it ideally has to be with big numbers.
But regardless of which Soulsborne game is used, what's important is that they see that dark, challenging action-heavy games without puzzles or platforming gimmicks or handholding can sell well.

But then again, I guess the issue is that they want DMC to sell numbers that it almost can't sell, like 4-5 million, which is just delusional. Not because DMC can't ever become a good seller, but because you can't make a game like DMC a big seller by trying to make it one. That only works for shooters and sandbox games. Like SoulsBorne, it has to be earned.

Praise the sun messages all over the place in next DMC :)

"Are you motivated?" "Try jumping"

Well, DmC WAS their attempt at making it a big seller (more accessible, western oriented, story-focused, gritty reboot etc) they just went around it in the worst possible way and it came back to bite them in the ass.

I'm not sure if i've said this before, but I've always had the feeling Capcom didn't like the DMC franchise. The first was too weird to be considered Resi 4, the second was a mess from start to finish, and they rushed 4s development to th point they just cut the campaign seemingly in half, before saying "fuck it" and rebooting the whole thing, which also failed. If they'd given DMC4 an extra 6 months (ballpark figure, I dunno game design) and had a full campaign, they would never have got the backlash they did with it, and DMC5 would have continued to grow the franchise more closer to the figures they wanted.

With regards to Souls May Cry, I think seeing phantoms of other players performing their moves every now and then would actually be pretty cool.

Sesha

Do we have any proof that DMC4s production was intentionally rushed? We know, from Itsuno himself in the 3142 art book, that development started around DMC3s release, meaning it was in development for almost three years. The release date for it wasn't even confirmed before October 2007. I've never read or heard anything that legimitely suggests that DMC4 was rushed. I've only seen fans speculate about it as a way to try and explain why DMC4 was lacking in content.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Do we have any proof that DMC4s production was intentionally rushed? We know, from Itsuno himself in the 3142 art book, that development started around DMC3s release, meaning it was in development for almost three years. The release date for it wasn't even confirmed before October 2007. I've never read or heard anything that legimitely suggests that DMC4 was rushed. I've only seen fans speculate about it as a way to try and explain why DMC4 was lacking in content.

People are reading between the lines based on what we know. Rushed might be the wrong word. Troubled might be more accurate. Unfinished regardless.

Multiplatform release for the first time, on a relatively new engine. Around that time, developers were struggling with the PS3 architecture. Internal conflict on direction- New character, but then retconned to include the playable old character. The game was fully released in January and February of that year, so the timing suggests that they wanted to get it released so that the sales reports could meet the deadline for the fiscal year at the end of March.

Sesha

People are reading between the lines based on what we know. Rushed might be the wrong word. Troubled might be more accurate. Unfinished regardless.

Multiplatform release for the first time, on a relatively new engine. Around that time, developers were struggling with the PS3 architecture. Internal conflict on direction- New character, but then retconned to include the playable old character. The game was fully released in January and February of that year, so the timing suggests that they wanted to get it released so that the sales reports could meet the deadline for the fiscal year at the end of March.

I wouldn't even say "troubled". I consider it misleading along with "rushed". We know the challenges they faced. We know:

- DMC4 was the team's first HD game, and that the workload was more than they expected. I seem to remember Itsuno saying it was twice as much as an SD game, but I haven't found a source for that.
- Itsuno and other members of the team were possible tired of DMC, having worked on DMC2, 3 and 3SE back to back. We also know that some team members felt they had run out of ideas after 3. Source is interviews in the 3142 art book.
- The Cell prosessor was notoriously difficult to develop for, especially earlier on as developers lacked experience working on it.
- The 360 version was not planned initially and although it was easier to develop than the PS3 version, it added 50% extra work, according to Kobayashi.

But we don't know what their plans for the game was in detail, and outside of complaints from Kobayashi or other staff about the work load, we've never heard anything that pointed in the way of "trouble".

As for the release date, Q1 was normal the series starting with DMC2. They could easily have released it in March if they needed more time and still get it out before the end of the fiscal year.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I wouldn't even say "troubled". I consider it misleading along with "rushed". We know the challenges they faced. We know:

- DMC4 was the team's first HD game, and that the workload was more than they expected. I seem to remember Itsuno saying it was twice as much as an SD game, but I haven't found a source for that.
- Itsuno and other members of the team were possible tired of DMC, having worked on DMC2, 3 and 3SE back to back. We also know that some team members felt they had run out of ideas after 3. Source is interviews in the 3142 art book.
- The Cell prosessor was notoriously difficult to develop for, especially earlier on as developers lacked experience working on it.
- The 360 version was not planned initially and although it was easier to develop than the PS3 version, it added 50% extra work, according to Kobayashi.

But we don't know what their plans for the game was in detail, and outside of complaints from Kobayashi or other staff about the work load, we've never heard anything that pointed in the way of "trouble".

As for the release date, Q1 was normal the series starting with DMC2. They could easily have released it in March if they needed more time and still get it out before the end of the fiscal year.

I mean, yeah, you more or less repeated what I said. I consider that to be a troubled development process. Was it manageable? Yeah, if it had been handled better. Is some of it speculative? Sure. I don't feel like that makes it an any less valid point without something pointing to the contrary. I consider Kobayashi complaining about work load to be more supportive of the theory than not.

The most glaring example of DMC4 being "rushed" or having a troubled development process is the game itself. Staples were removed from the game inexplicably, and while we could chalk this up to Itsuno being lazy, I'd rather suggest the possibility that they ran out of time or money or both.

I dont find calling DMC4'S development troubled to be any more misleading than saying SFXT'S development was troubled. There were far more twists and turns mid development than they expected, which forced them to accomodate and potentially mismanage funds/time.

But if you're looking for a quote from Itsuno, I don't have it and you'd be hard pressed to find him 8 years later disparaging a company he still works for. Maybe someone can ask NeoG.

Also March is cutting it a little close. They usually like to have at least the full first month of sales data, because then they can also extrapolate and project trends/future sales. Not even SFV released in March.

Edit: I hate posting on mobile.

Dahbomb

The fact that we saw 3 very different teasers that showed 3 different designs for Dante tells me that there was a lot of internal retooling of the game before they settled on the final product.

And when it went to 360 that affected plans too.

Delaying it to March would've done nothing. Unless they have a whole slew of unfinished assets that were going to be included into the game but ran out of time... I don't think the game could've been significantly better by having it release a month after. It's not like the game had crazy bugs, performance or balance issues that could've been fixed by some feedback, testing and bug fixing. Game was lacking content that takes several months to add, test and implement.

Top Bottom