• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

I think it's either or. I'm certain I got Vergil's Super after Bloody Palace.

You sure? Cause I'm positive that I didn't get Nero's after finishing BP with him.

actually they're super cool

i love using the spiral/kalina ann loadout

edit:
https://twitter.com/dan_southworth/status/788095296395841536

hmmmmmm

Here we go! Now let me go and find that Nolan thread.... Oh, Dah has already done that. Then let's go and get hyped :)

Days without new DMC5 teases (real or otherwise).

Feels bad man.

Well, we can always talk about what we want from DMC5 for the 3189th* time :)

It actually feels bad cause I was having lots of fun making those DMC Bollywood gifs.

*Can you actually believe that this the amount of days that have past from DMC4's initial release date back in 2008? Man, I feel old right now....

Massive spoilers of course:

https://youtu.be/0KeKFc0xGr8

Dude cheats with the summon but that final phase is actually insane.
Oh my God.

That was.... wow. From truly has reached the next level when it comes boss fights. And here it wasn't just the attacks and the boss itself but the setting, atmosphere and music were all just mind-blowing. That last phase... truly breathtaking.

On an unrelated note, it was also cool to see a female character in souls series with a middle-eastern name :)

I thought
Friede
was a German name?
Oops, you are right.

The pronunciation was identical to the Arabic/Persian one,
Farideh
, so I mistook it as that.

Edit: I became curious and did a little digging. Apparently the Persian one has a few meanings like
Goddess
Unique
Proud
and my personal favorite which IMO would have been so fitting for Souls series
Goddess of the Sun

Dahbomb

How hard is Dark Souls 3 compared to DMC3 DMD? Right now doing a new save file DMD run with Vergil.
DMC3 DMD is harder.

Dark Souls in general is harder starting out but gets easier as you go along. Subsequent NG+ are only marginally more difficult (I think 8% overall increase in stats on the enemies) so really the first time playthrough is the most difficult. Plus in these games you can figure out how to make a cheese build and then blow through a lot of the content.

I think the only thing in these games that is crushingly difficult is Defiled final rank Chalice Dungeons with modifiers activated in Bloodborne.

Golnei

I don't know why it took me until the instant enemy spawning was added to find out, but I didn't know Credo was actually set to fight regular demons like the Angelos until now. I spawned a bunch of scarecrows and a Blitz and he almost completely ignored me to go after them.

Yeah, Souls series in general is only really difficult when you are experiencing your first game in it. Once you get accustomed to one of them and finish it, the others will become significantly easier.

DMC3 DMD is harder.

Plus in these games you can figure out how to make a cheese build and then blow through a lot of the content.

I think the only thing in these games that is crushingly difficult is Defiled final rank Chalice Dungeons with modifiers activated in Bloodborne.

Agreed on the cheese build. Had a bleed build at low rank and blasted through the DLC.

I do agree that DMC/DMD is much tougher because it is not methodical and more frantic/On-the-fly than Souls combat.

Dude THIS is what I wanted from Dark Souls 3

I haven't even watched the fight yet but that opening cutscene was amazing. After Bloodborne I needed more badass lead-ins to fights and DS3 dropped the ball hard

I feel like bloodborne is more cinematic which enabled it to be more badass/cinematic fights. Dark Souls has that nonchalant attitude with minimal cinematic flair, think of the last gwyn fight in Dks1.

With the expansion obviously they went with the cinematic route, which I think DMC has in its DNA.

I feel like bloodborne is more cinematic which enabled it to be more badass/cinematic fights. Dark Souls has that nonchalant attitude with minimal cinematic flair, think of the last gwyn fight in Dks1.

With the expansion obviously they went with the cinematic route, which I think DMC has in its DNA.
I suppose, but the cutscenes that were there seemed really dull to me. The skull with the smoke coming out of it is the absolute worst, haha.

I'm good with the more casual "walking into a fight" but if you're gonna have a cutscene before a boss I expect it to be awesome, not feeling like an afterthought

It's kind of sad how DMC could be at a level of awareness and popularity that Dark Souls is at now if it wasn't for Capcom Executives pushing for westernization, which pretty much killed a bunch of franchises...

It's kind of sad how DMC could be at a level of awareness and popularity that Dark Souls is at now if it wasn't for Capcom Executives pushing for westernization, which pretty much killed a bunch of franchises...

The reboot was a bad decision, but the franchise was going to take a long break anyway because the team wanted to do Dragon's Dogma. Even though mistakes will still be made along the way, I trust Capcom to do the right thing for the most part when it comes to staying true to their franchises now because they realize the grass isn't greener on the other side.

Both series are known for being tough and for having learning curves that kill you, but the Soulsborne franchise does a better job of being designed around dying-as-learning, whereas DMC's score-attack structure just punishes you for dying with no upside or redemption for it (like e.g. getting back to your body and recovering it in Souls). I'd say that's a problem that persists in DMC since well before Capcom's push for Westernization (but that Westernizing the franchise didn't fix any of its actual issues whatsoever).

DMC needs to either fully embrace the score attack thing and give us a much higher number of much smaller missions (something like individual Verses in Bayonetta) or abandon it altogether and have no missions or mission grades (and turn Style into a mechanic mainly about getting enemies to drop more orbs and for driving up your DT gauge faster). Caught in the middle, with an intensely linear structure that still gets kinda awkwardly broken up into chapters, it can't help but feel weaker than other types of campaign even though the core combat is stellar.

Both series are known for being tough and for having learning curves that kill you, but the Soulsborne franchise does a better job of being designed around dying-as-learning, whereas DMC's score-attack structure just punishes you for dying with no upside or redemption for it (like e.g. getting back to your body and recovering it in Souls). I'd say that's a problem that persists in DMC since well before Capcom's push for Westernization (but that Westernizing the franchise didn't fix any of its actual issues whatsoever).

DMC needs to either fully embrace the score attack thing and give us a much higher number of much smaller missions (something like individual Verses in Bayonetta) or abandon it altogether and have no missions or mission grades (and turn Style into a mechanic mainly about getting enemies to drop more orbs and for driving up your DT gauge faster). Caught in the middle, with an intensely linear structure that still gets kinda awkwardly broken up into chapters, it can't help but feel weaker than other types of campaign even though the core combat is stellar.

All of the action games are like that though when it comes to dying not just DMC. I just fail to see how these Souls games are setting the bar for DMC to reach when they're not even close to accomplishing the same thing.

Jawmuncher

Yo Real Talk.

Why isn't there a new Devil May Cry community thread? Like I guess it's easier just to squat in here, but an actual community thread would be pretty cool. If you're posting on community side, you know how to subscribe to thread and move with the community already.

PLUS if you ask the mods, you can get some time on the main page for your new community thread before it moves over. Getting some new members. Just some food for though, since there's plenty of people in here who could make a good thread.

All of the action games are like that though when it comes to dying not just DMC. I just fail to see how these Souls games are setting the bar for DMC to reach when they're not even close to accomplishing the same thing.

Many action games just punt you back to a checkpoint rather than also penalizing your score (because many action games don't have a scoring component). The goal in DMC is to do an optimal mission completion in which you take zero damage and rack up lots of style points, whereas the goal in most games is just to survive and win.

Many action games just punt you back to a checkpoint rather than also penalizing your score (because many action games don't have a scoring component). The goal in DMC is to do an optimal mission completion in which you take zero damage and rack up lots of style points, whereas the goal in most games is just to survive and win.

Those ranks take time to achieve though. That's why I love these games. You beat it a few times to get comfortable with everything and then you can try and achieve these high ranks, but that's not necessary to have fun in the game.

All of the style ranks, crazy combo stuff, etc only occurs after getting more comfortable with the game and that only happens if you enjoy yourself a lot while playing this stuff.

Those ranks take time to achieve though. That's why I love these games. You beat it a few times to get comfortable with everything and then you can try and achieve these high ranks, but that's not necessary to have fun in the game.

All of the style ranks, crazy combo stuff, etc only occurs after getting more comfortable with the game and that only happens if you enjoy yourself a lot while playing this stuff.

Right - there's definitely a learning and a very rewarding depth curve, and that's a good thing. I'm just saying it's fundamentally structured very differently from the Souls series, and that the campaign doesn't necessarily play to its strengths quite as well (which is why, for example, booby traps feel very legit in Souls but mainly very annoying in DMC).

Dahbomb

Yo Real Talk.

Why isn't there a new Devil May Cry community thread? Like I guess it's easier just to squat in here, but an actual community thread would be pretty cool. If you're posting on community side, you know how to subscribe to thread and move with the community already.

PLUS if you ask the mods, you can get some time on the main page for your new community thread before it moves over. Getting some new members. Just some food for though, since there's plenty of people in here who could make a good thread.
Someone here wanted to make a DMC community thread.

This thread is basically the DMC community thread anyway.

And besides we will just rather wait for DMC5 to make a new thread. We folks are patient like that (been waiting almost a decade for DMC5, can wait a few more months).

Right - there's definitely a learning and a very rewarding depth curve, and that's a good thing. I'm just saying it's fundamentally structured very differently from the Souls series, and that the campaign doesn't necessarily play to its strengths quite as well (which is why, for example, booby traps feel very legit in Souls but mainly very annoying in DMC).

I get what you're saying. I enjoy Bayonetta 1 & 2's campaign more than DMC4's and DmC's, because it knows what it wants to do and it does it well. Bayonetta doesn't even have any poor platforming sections or boring puzzles (the minigames are the only problem). If I had to choose a game I would want DMC to be more like structure wise it would be Bayonetta, but that's because it isn't a huge departure from what DMC is. I think the developers should just focus on embracing everything that DMC is about to the fullest because you can't please everyone at the end of the day.

Yo Real Talk.

I am incredibly lazy. I have a banner made for it and some prospective headings, but when it comes to typing out all that stuff, I just

TreIII

I get what you're saying. I enjoy Bayonetta 1 & 2's campaign more than DMC4's and DmC's, because it knows what it wants to do and it does it well. Bayonetta doesn't even have any poor platforming sections or boring puzzles (the minigames are the only problem). If I had to choose a game I would want DMC to be more like structure wise it would be Bayonetta, but that's because it isn't a huge departure from what DMC is. I think the developers should just focus on embracing everything that DMC is about to the fullest because you can't please everyone at the end of the day.

I'd be with you all the way on this, if it weren't for some bad memories of Chapter XV in Bayo1. Hopping across them small squares in the vertical climb up the last part of the Ithavoll Building? Yeah...

Anyway, while I don't want DMC to lose too much of its identity, I do think it was long overdue to shake off some of its RE-originating trappings that have hung around long enough. Puzzles, fixed camera angles and things of that nature? They really do need to go.

Jawmuncher

Someone here wanted to make a DMC community thread.

This thread is basically the DMC community thread anyway.

And besides we will just rather wait for DMC5 to make a new thread. We folks are patient like that (been waiting almost a decade for DMC5, can wait a few more months).

I am incredibly lazy. I have a banner made for it and some prospective headings, but when it comes to typing out all that stuff, I just

Same problem here.

Though I need to hurry up and do the gameplay segment for that Y0 thread that we are working on, so can't keep on slacking.

Someone should definitely get on it. If anything it doesn't have to be too crazy.
Just a list of all the games, platforms they're on, and plot details, and maybe some combo vids/tutorials.

A lot of it could probably be copy and pasted from Wikipedia and such.

Like I suppose everyone could just wait for DMC5, but I think it would be really cool to see an actual community thread. The games and it's fan deserve as much I think.

I'd be with you all the way on this, if it weren't for some bad memories of Chapter XV in Bayo1. Hopping across them small squares in the vertical climb up the last part of the Ithavoll Building? Yeah...

Anyway, while I don't want DMC to lose too much of its identity, I do think it was long overdue to shake off some of its RE-originating trappings that have hung around long enough. Puzzles, fixed camera angles and things of that nature? They really do need to go.

Yeah that section wasn't great, but it doesn't last long so I don't really mind it too much.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Someone should definitely get on it. If anything it doesn't have to be too crazy.
Just a list of all the games, platforms they're on, and plot details, and maybe some combo vids/tutorials.

A lot of it could probably be copy and pasted from Wikipedia and such.

Like I suppose everyone could just wait for DMC5, but I think it would be really cool to see an actual community thread. The games and it's fan deserve as much I think.

We even kind if divided up parts and responsibilities.

I was going to draft together a DMC basics section with video tutorial and just never got the time... I'm reluctant to just slap something together. If we're going to do it, we should do it right. Otherwise, this has basically served as a community thread and most of the people who would participate in a community thread are regulars here.

Rg86BY.gif

Damn.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297690

Seyavesh

that move was already in the first nier, man

it's dark execution

the tech aesthetic is kinda boring vs. the blood magic aesthetic of the first, though. hopefully that's something that changes because the n1 version of dark execution is extremely cool looking.
only robots means no blood pouring out of enemies and being absorbed by your character, which was one of the more appealing parts of the combat in the first game. dark execution impaling enemies and then having them explode into a stream of blood for weiss to absorb was a fantastic intro to the game.

Dahbomb

You guys should temper the Nier 2 expectations, it's not going to be all in on the action combat mechanics. Seems like it's supposed to be a relatively simple action game but with the extra layer of RPG mechanics.

Oh yeah. Now that you've mentioned it I do remember something similar with a lot of red color in the first game (though iirc the spikes were smaller). Just goes to show how forgettable the combat in the first game was to me. I legit remember more of the genre switches that they did than the actual combat.

Top Bottom