• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Sesha

Oh Reuben, you tease.

I think it's really unlikely they'd announce a DMC Collection for XBone/PS4 without announcing it alongside DMC5.

Don't be so sure. They announced the RE456 PS4/X1 ports in February, and the Dead Rising remasters in August. Remember, we said similar things about DmC DE/DMC4SE.

Can we not say it's happening unless we get a concrete rumor or something? I'm kind of sick after 2 years of these not really hints, but easily could be interpreted as hints.

TreIII

I don't believe this is it. I still stick by E3 next year.

I'd say E3 is only necessary, IF they really can't think of any better venue to announce such a game (and it would go along with the likely notion that said game won't be out until late 2018/early 2019).

Otherwise, I still think that Capcom could take the opportunity to announce any DMC-related bombs at any time of their choosing.

BREAKING NEWS!!!
LANGDON IS IN ON IT!

https://twitter.com/ReubenLangdon/status/786718672127717376

FUCK IT! IT'S HAPPENING PEOPLE! MAKE ANOTHER THREAD DAMN IT!
4wtWgRa.gif

Dahbomb

Today is the DMC1 NA anniversary 15 year anniversary...

No comment from Capcom. Anyone bother Capcom about it on Twitter or something?

Today is the DMC1 NA anniversary 15 year anniversary...

No comment from Capcom. Anyone bother Capcom about it on Twitter or something?

They're probably going to avoid acknowledging the series until the big reveal for 5. It would be nice to say something though. At this rate, they better roll out the red carpet when they show something.

I doubt Capcom would acknowledge it. I guess one of us (excluding myself) should make a thread for it.

Secretly awaits for a new DMC thread to post more gifs :p

TreIII

too early for announcements especially with RE7 marketing

See, the only thing I'd disagree on is that by PSX, RE7 would be coming out the following month. Between that, Dead Rising 4 on Xbox, the next wave of SF5 things and whatever MonHun-related thing Ninty is likely partnering up with Capcom for near the NX launch period...that's pretty much the entirety of Capcom's remaining fiscal calendar for this year, with no other hints of what else is coming for beyond.

Somewhere between PSX and the next Jump Festa (also in December), I gotta think that Capcom is going to want to start dropping hints and teases of what's next.

...Or at least, start actively working towards trying to shake off their current rep of being the "Monster Hunter company"!

See, the only thing I'd disagree on is that by PSX, RE7 would be coming out the following month. Between that, Dead Rising 4 on Xbox, the next wave of SF5 things and whatever MonHun-related thing Ninty is likely partnering up with Capcom for near the NX launch period...that's pretty much the entirety of Capcom's remaining fiscal calendar for this year, with no other hints of what else is coming for beyond.

Somewhere between PSX and the next Jump Festa (also in December), I gotta think that Capcom is going to want to start dropping hints and teases of what's next.

...Or at least, start actively working towards trying to shake off their current rep of being the "Monster Hunter company"!

Capcom doesn't use logic like that, not to mention judging from slow marketing of RE7, I wouldn't be surprised if they intend to show a chunk of it at PSX.

Yeah, I agree. Though I find it funny that we talked so much about DMC5 being random Tuesday and R* actually did that for RDR2. (Also that Bison gif came in mind xD)

Though, Capcom obviously needs that PSX hype for DMC5 announcement.

I look forward to Rockstars trailers more than I do E3 or the other big events. I know I like what I see, so I want to see more instead of asking myself "what are they announcing now? Do Fifa players even watch these things? I don't care about CoD. Are they still talking about CoD? They are still talking about CoD. Dear God stop talking about CoD! Oh a montage! And now the VR segment..."

Rockstar can drop anything at anytime and it'll guarantee hype. Not many companies can get away with that.

Not saying that Capcom should do it with DMC5, but Capcom in general is one of those companies or at least they used to be. They tried it with RE6 and it turned out to be pretty successful.

Dahbomb

Nothing annoys me more than COD and Destiny showings at E3s and whatever generic open world game Ubisoft is hawking. At least we had a break from Assassin's Creed this year.

Man I RRREEEAAALLLLYYY hope the DMC5 reveal thread doesn't get locked because of talks of diversity.

Nothing annoys me more than COD and Destiny showings at E3s and whatever generic open world game Ubisoft is hawking. At least we had a break from Assassin's Creed this year.

Man I RRREEEAAALLLLYYY hope the DMC5 reveal thread doesn't get locked because of talks of diversity.

Nah DMC is different. Rockstar changes the protagonist a lot in their games where as DMC has an established cast of characters.

*DMC5 get's announced*
*Dante's daughter is the main character*

I can already see the outcry.

Dahbomb

Capcom is not going to risk another non traditional Dante as the main character. They are probably going to play it as safe as possible at least on that front.

everyone remembers the Gloria character design and recognizes that the makers of DMC should probably just stick to a lily white cast if they know what's good for them

What they did with her was such a waste, that 'twist' shouldn't have been a thing.

Exactly. Gloria was completely fine, if overly fanservicy. Making her a disguise for Trish completely wasted Gloria as a character. Hell, she could have just been a talented Order member or just a third party with mysterious powers like Nero but not in on the conspiracy. It would have served to make it clear not everything revolves around the Sparda family, that the Spardas aren't the only "Half-human, Half- devils", and could have left the door open for the character to return while being a nice little bit of world building. Instead we get more "Everything revolves around Sparda" and Trish in disguise when they could have easily introduced her otherwise and Sanctus seemed more to be using her anyway to just get the Sword of Sparda and wasn't that surprised anyway. It was dumb. Again, the series needs better writers.

OniBaka

Wasn't she suppose to be a new character? They just didn't have time to do her justice and ended up making her as a disguise.

Sesha

Wait. Did that really happen? lol

Edit: Oh man. Grey names everywhere.

*DMC5 get's announced*
*Dante's daughter is the main character*

I can already see the outcry.

I would cry, though. Cry tears of joy, that is. Not because I want Dante replaced, but because I'd be super on board with Dante's daughter as a character.

So when is PSX and Jump Fiesta btw?

PSX is December 3-4, and Jump Festa is December 17-18.

TreIII

everyone remembers the Gloria character design and recognizes that the makers of DMC should probably just stick to a lily white cast if they know what's good for them

On that note: I'd honestly be just fine with them saving Lucia from the "scrappy heap", if it would a) be the start to giving the cast at least a bit of variety and b) would effectively acknowledge DMC2 by finally making a game that took place after it.

I still say that, beyond Lucia's presence, all they have to do is just say that Dante "had a bit of a cold"/""ate some bad pizza" for the duration of DMC2, and that's why he clearly wasn't acting like himself.

Badda bing, badda boom, no need to acknowledge DMC2 any further than that. Majin Dante would just be a nice bonus to have again.

Ehhh, Ciri was a cool character but her gameplay sections were pretty short and just not that much fun.

Though still, playing as
Grealt's daughter
was really cool.

Dahbomb

Ehhh, Ciri was a cool character but her gameplay sections were pretty short and just not that much fun.
Ayy yo spoilers son!
(Geralt is only an adoptive father, he can't actually have children)

Combat game play in Witcher 3 isn't that good anyway, even with Geralt.

Ayy yo spoilers son!
(Geralt is only an adoptive father, he can't actually have children)

Combat game play in Witcher 3 isn't that good anyway, even with Geralt.
Well, that's true. And not to derail the topic but I think having a good combat is one of the key things that CDPR needs to heavily focus on if they ever decide to make another Witcher.

In regards to spoiler, the game has been out for almost a year and a half now and it doesn't even treat that as some secret and tells it to you straight up. In fact, I feel it counts on the players having that knowledge (and even more from the books) given how it handles the *new* characters in the game universe such as Yen. But I'll edit that post just to be safe. Though really, you should know that before playing Witcher 3.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Gloria was really well received in the west, so I agree it's unfortunate she turned out to just be a Trish "skin." The graphic file talks about how the designer was commended for creating a character that was both sexy and celebrated.

I'm all for Dante's daughter in a future game. I sound like a broken record, but DMC5 needs to be about Dante.

Sesha

Roughly translated:

2 - is shit.

3 - The scenario is good. It was moving. I think he says he never finished it, though he might be talking about 4.

4 - Story is not good. He says it would be okay if the ones responsible for the board game and spinning tops would die, lol. And that Trish is ugly.

DmC - Never played it but it's so radically different that he finds it intriguing.

I left some small comments out because I couldn't quite get the meaning, but this is the gist of what he wrote.

DMC5 needs to have interesting weapons again. It's crazy how DMC3 had amazing weapon set, and DMC4 felt so sterile in comparison...

I'd agree with that for the most part, yeah (Gilgamesh is probably my favorite gauntlets + greaves weapon). Lucifer and Pandora aren't *terrible* but they're less interesting than Artemis/Nevan/Cerberus/Agni&Rudra are (let's be real, Kalina Ann and Spiral aren't that cool though). It's not that you can't pull off some very cool trap shit with Lucifer, of course, but Pandora honestly feels like sloppy design to me (it serves some important functions but never feels well integrated, and the missile battery is very stupid). As someone who enjoys the feel of directly inflicting hitstun on enemies, Lucifer's generally not for me, but that's a personal taste.

A lot of it, for me, is that I miss Crazy Combos. But also, the aesthetics in DMC4 are kinda off; Rebellion's air-distortion effect in DMC1/3 is much cooler than the black gradient trail effect it has in DMC4, and outside of Gilgamesh, Dante's weapons also feel a bit lower-impact in terms of sound and visual design (just compare the DMC3 Shotgun to the DMC4 Shotgun, even though they're incredibly similar in actual function).

Really hoping DMC5 has full support for legacy weapons, even if it's as DLC. New DMC games should always add new stuff but they also shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel every time and they should be able to take maximum advantage of all of the design work that's come before.

They can make an entire game out of Pandora tbh. Literally 666 weapons in one.

^^ Yup I believe so. The super costumes are unlocked after beating Bloody Palace, the others from the post-campaign demon fight.

I'm pretty sure you get the super costumes after beating DMD with each character. So in order to unlock all three super costumes you'll need to beat DMD twice. Once with Vergil and once with Dante/Nero.

Top Bottom