• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Aquila buy-in into tornado is bit cheap. Instant SS ranks even on hardcore mode. Liking the game a lot more now that I've got access to all the weapons and most of moves. Gotten the hang of constantly switching weapons mid combo. While each of weapons alone lack depth and moves, collectively they work great.

Yeah, this is why I think Must Style mode was a good way to make the most of a bad thing - it basically keeps you alternating your weapons but manages to establish angel weapons as style builders and devil weapons as finishers/damage dealers as something built into the core combat paradigm. Much much better than the enemy color-coding as an incentive to mix it up and use your whole arsenal.

I'd love to see Must Style in all future DMC games but I think it adds more to DmC than it would to another game in the series, if that makes any sense.

Dahbomb

Aquila buy-in into tornado is bit cheap. Instant SS ranks even on hardcore mode. Liking the game a lot more now that I've got access to all the weapons and most of moves. Gotten the hang of constantly switching weapons mid combo. While each of weapons alone lack depth and moves, collectively they work great.

The art style is great but story and characters are lackluster. Have a feeling that the game may have been received better if it hadn't been called DmC. But then again, they probably wouldn't have gotten the budget to even make a comparable game.

Overall liking the game on nephilim difficulty and eagerly looking forward to higher difficulties.
Game would have been received a lot better if they had shipped out DmC Definitive edition instead of the vanilla version.

You know that Osiris Pop Shredder move? That could auto parry anything in the game and it trivializex most encounters.

The Demon Dodge style and damage boost was absurd before.

You didn't have Hardcore mode and Turbo mode.

You didn't have Lock on so you were stuck doing Stingers with double forward input.

Angel Dash didn't have triple dash.

Devil Trigger used to pop up enemies and made them helpless. That doesn't happen in Hardcore mode.

Style ranking system worked a lot differently too.

Of course it did not run at 60 FPS on consoles.

And a whole slew of other changes to the mechanics and balances. I honestly feel it is one of the best Re-releases put out, probably better than even DMC3SE as far as upgrades go. It's too bad we had to go through a ton of vitriol to get to it.

And yeah the game would have been received a lot better if it was not named DMC. That goes without saying. It's easily NT's best game by a mile.

xuchu

Game would have been received a lot better if they had shipped out DmC Definitive edition instead of the vanilla version.

You know that Osiris Pop Shredder move? That could auto parry anything in the game and it trivializex most encounters.

The Demon Dodge style and damage boost was absurd before.

You didn't have Hardcore mode and Turbo mode.

You didn't have Lock on so you were stuck doing Stingers with double forward input.

Angel Dash didn't have triple dash.

Devil Trigger used to pop up enemies and made them helpless. That doesn't happen in Hardcore mode.

Style ranking system worked a lot differently too.

Of course it did not run at 60 FPS on consoles.

And a whole slew of other changes to the mechanics and balances. I honestly feel it is one of the best Re-releases put out, probably better than even DMC3SE as far as upgrades go. It's too bad we had to go through a ton of vitriol to get to it.

And yeah the game would have been received a lot better if it was not named DMC. That goes without saying. It's easily NT's best game by a mile.

Yeah, it's a great re-release born from listening to fan feedback. From what I understand they also employed some of the PC modders of the original game to help with the definitive edition. Wondering why there is no PC re-release unless they think that's redundant with mods. Would be nice to have an official version though.

Wow, seems like the original had some horrendous balance issues. Really glad color coded enemies aren't really a thing anymore. Tried non-turbo for one of the missions and it seemed like the game was in slow-motion but that's the case for all the devil may cry games once you get used to turbo speed I guess.

Hmmm, haven't unlocked 'must style' mode as I've yet to beat the game. I'm at mission 16/20 though so shouldn't be too long. Will try out must style mode, must be great for combo videos.

It would have been fine as a DMC game if they reworked the story a bit and changed some character names. There you go, all the brand recognition of DMC, no pissed off fans (maybe a few pissed off fans), an expanded universe for the franchise and potential to develop both series to capitalize on fans of both. Fuck sake Capcom, this is basic stuff!

Dahbomb

BEST ACTION GAME

Battlefield 1
Doom
Gears of War 4
Overwatch
Titanfall 2

BEST ACTION/ADVENTURE GAME

Dishonored 2
Hitman
Hyper Light Drifter
Ratchet & Clank
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

I need to bust out the prayer because this is god damn ABYSMAL!!!

Itsuno-sama who art thou at Capcom
hallowed be your controller.
Your mercy come,
your design be done,
in action gaming, as it is stylish
Give us this day our daily DMC,
and forgive our scrubbyness,
as we also have forgiven those far scrubbier
And lead us not into MEDIOCRE ACTION GAMES AND MUSOUS ....

But deliver us DEVIL MAY CRY 5

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Your mercy come,
your design be done,

This is one of the more depressing things I've seen all year.

Your mercy come,
your design be done,

Gotta deal with Mocap pictures and jokes from Nolan North for just a few more months...I hope

Dahbomb

Hyper Lift Drifter is the only actual action melee based game in there. The rest are either all shooters first person, 3rd person or straight up stealth games (which is the OPPOSITE of action).

Gotta deal with Mocap pictures and jokes from Nolan North for just a few more months...I hope

I for one am totally fine with those teases, in fact those give me hope and hype.

Would rather have those teases than go for months without anything, which we have in the past. Its already been a month since those mocap/nolan teases and I am still thristy...

TreIII

There's a reason why Nioh's Alpha and Beta, combined, were pretty much my GOTY in this area. Quite literally, early, incomplete versions of a game that's not coming out until 2017 were better than most of this year's offerings, for me.

But hey, if Capcom wants to start bringing a lil ruckus to PSX or Jump Festa in a few weeks, by all means~!

Your mercy come,
your design be done,

They are all shooters, hahahaha..ha...h... :(

ArjanN

Hyper Lift Drifter is the only actual action melee based game in there. The rest are either all shooters first person, 3rd person or straight up stealth games (which is the OPPOSITE of action).

Yeah, honestly I think it's more that their categories don't make a lot of sense.

Dishonored 2 and Hitman are primarily stealth games. Cramming them into an action adventure category just to lose to Uncharted 4 (because let's face it, it's still a popularity contest) kinda sucks.

Hell, I mean their fighting game category has Pokken in and not Xrd Revelator.

I for one am totally fine with those teases, in fact those give me hope and hype.

Would rather have those teases than go for months without anything, which we have in the past. Its already been a month since those mocap/nolan teases and I am still thristy...

Nolan North's next tweet:

Dante walks into Subway with $4, but how come he can't get what he wants? He need $5 for a foot long!

Reuben, Itsuno, Dan retweets world goes crazy.

There's a reason why Nioh's Alpha and Beta, combined, were pretty much my GOTY in this area. Quite literally, early, incomplete versions of a game that's not coming out until 2017 were better than most of this year's offerings, for me.

But hey, if Capcom wants to start bringing a lil ruckus to PSX or Jump Festa in a few weeks, by all means~!

Same for me.

Your mercy come,
your design be done,

Let's give this another go.
rxb8bVB.gif

Hmmm... Nah still not good.

P.S: 12 more days till XV and I'm bored atm. So please bear with me :)

Yeah, it's a great re-release born from listening to fan feedback. From what I understand they also employed some of the PC modders of the original game to help with the definitive edition. Wondering why there is no PC re-release unless they think that's redundant with mods. Would be nice to have an official version though.

Wow, seems like the original had some horrendous balance issues. Really glad color coded enemies aren't really a thing anymore. Tried non-turbo for one of the missions and it seemed like the game was in slow-motion but that's the case for all the devil may cry games once you get used to turbo speed I guess.

Hmmm, haven't unlocked 'must style' mode as I've yet to beat the game. I'm at mission 16/20 though so shouldn't be too long. Will try out must style mode, must be great for combo videos.

I think it's good and bad for combo videos - obviously it allows for even more turning enemies into sandbags, but when people are doing combo videos properly they generally get up to S-rank really fast anyway (though optimal style-rank gameplay isn't necessarily the same as optimal visually interesting gameplay, the latter tends to result in the former at a high rate of efficiency anyway). It'd really only result in a minor boost to enemy durability. Great for practice, though.

But also, another thing that's important is that part of the fun of well-executed combo videos is proper reading of enemy HP and understanding of damage values so the enemy gets finished with the chosen move.

Regardless, it's a good tool to have in the arsenal for combo videos to add some more options - just nothing revolutionary, I think.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Be honest with me GE, did you accidentally post One Piece stuff here? :p

Any other day I might have! I was actually replying to that DmC thread in Gaming.

Its so exasperating. We've been down this road countless times. It's such a tired and rehashed thread. I just opted to copy and paste an old response since I'm on mobile. I don't think anyone will notice.

Any other day I might have! I was actually replying to that DmC thread in Gaming.

Its so exasperating. We've been down this road countless times. It's such a tired and rehashed thread. I just opted to copy and paste an old response since I'm on mobile. I don't think anyone will notice.

I don't think Capcom will go down that westernization road again so at this point might as well let people say whatever when it comes to the reboot.

Its so exasperating. We've been down this road countless times. It's such a tired and rehashed thread I just opted to copy and paste an old response. I don't think anyone will notice.
Oh, that one. I'm actually reading through it right now and man it's so annoying to see people mention "the hair" or "change is scary" and stuff like that.

Since the guy played the PS4 version, someone should just post the huge changelog so he'll see how many actual problems vanilla version had besides "the hair", that lots of DmC enthusiasts love to bring up every chance they get.

Disappointed that it wasn't about One Piece :p Thought you were too excited about the upcoming Law sugofest and accidentally talked about it here xD

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh, that one. I'm actually reading through it right now and man it's so annoying to see people mention "the hair" or "change is scary" and stuff like that.

Since the guy played the PS4 version, someone should just post the huge changelog so he'll see how many actual problems vanilla version had besides "the hair", that lots of DmC enthusiasts love to bring up every chance they get.

Disappointed that it wasn't about One Piece though. Thought you were too excited about the upcoming Law sugofest and accidentally talked about it here xD

I've been super busy lately and haven't been able to post much, but I think I'm going to pull during the Law sugo. It's been a while. I really want Koala and Marco!

Make sure to add yourself to the spreadsheet. It looks pretty snazzy since we've been modifying it.

I don't think Capcom will go down that westernization road again so at this point might as well let people say whatever when it comes to the reboot.

I know, but it's just frustrating to read this revisionist history. We went through this crap for years, and it hasn't been easy.

I've been super busy lately and haven't been able to post much, but I think I'm going to pull during the Law sugo. It's been a while. I really want Koala and Marco!

Make sure to add yourself to the spreadsheet. It looks pretty snazzy since we've been modifying it.
I'll be content with any legend character to be honest, especially if I can get the Law himself.

We are going really off-topic but I gotta ask, what spreadsheet? Didn't see anything in the OP.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Aw biys I knew I wasn't the only One Piece fan here!

You may want to check out One Piece Treasure Cruise, if you get a chance and have a smartphone. It's fun!

I'll be content with any legend character to be honest, especially if I can get the Law himself.

We are going really off-topic but I gotta ask, what spreadsheet? Didn't see anything in the OP.

You have to quote one of RalchAC's recent posts to view it since it's for GAF only. I'm sure he'll update the OP eventually.

xuchu

Ok, so I've just completed Dante must die mode in DmC:DE with little to no problems. I remember DMC3, back in the day, kicking my ass on the highest difficulty but maybe that's what gods must die is there for. Just wasn't expecting it to be that easy in comparison to other character action games I've played. I now have played more than enough to give my thoughts on the game:

Pros:
- great environment art style
- good UI/lock on presentation
- movable camera is amazing albeit a bit slow for the pace of the game but you can centre camera easily with a button press.
- hardcore and turbo mode makes the balancing more in line with the old games but still a bit easy for vets of the genre.
- loved traversing the levels with triple Angel evade and glides.
- mixing Angel/normal/demon styles and switching weapons whilst juggling multiple enemies felt very satisfying. Could have used one more weapon in each style but I still feel the combat system is great and has a good amount of depth to it.

Neutral/Cons:
- lower skill ceiling than dmc3 and 4 but I think it's still far better than most if not all western character action games and that for most people the game has a surprising amount of depth.
- demon pull/Angel pull whilst fun makes it incredibly easy to stay in the air, don't even need jump cancelling for the most the part.
- whilst there has been rebalancing from the original version (which thankfully I haven't played) I still feel that some weapons like Aquila are too good for most situations. Demon evade whilst nerfed is still incredibly useful and feels satisfying due to the slow-mo.
- gaining quick style ranks is far more dependant on damage done rather than switching weapons and varying combos. Demon evade into arbiter combo gives an insane amount of style points even though I don't consider it to be or look very stylish.
- colour coded enemies restrict the weapon and style set at your disposable. While they still are damaged, the fact that they can't be juggled with off colour weapons is disappointing. Even worse is that they have no hit reactions to off colour weapons and reminds me of the lack of hit feedback that I get from spectacle action games like God of war.
- bosses are uninspired and laughably easy.
- story and characters are horrible imo. While I don't expect much of anything from character action game stories, I appreciated the silliness and nonsense in the ninja gaiden games and older DMCs. This is just crass for the most part. Can't skip cutscenes fast enough.
- doesn't really feel like a DMC game in terms of story and atmosphere but that's subjective.

While my quick list of cons may seem to outweigh the pros I still think that the definitive edition is a great action game and certainly one of the best western action games I've played in terms of combat mechanics. Games like god of war are a fun romp and I love them for the scale and presentation but lack any noteworthy combat depth even at their highest difficulty.

Having a look at the extensive change log from the original to DE makes me appreciate that they listened to feedback and made a great feeling and playing game in the end. I feel as though this a far better re-release than ninja gaiden 3:razors edge, although having played vanilla NG3 may have just left such a bad taste that it may have coloured my impression of the razors edge. I have more nostalgia and emotional investment for ninja gaiden black (a game that I still play yearly) and just felt utterly betrayed by everything in NG3, after they seemingly wanted to chase after the god of war market and failed at even doing that decently. Razors edge brought back UT and OTs which was good but I felt as though there was an input delay not present in previous titles and relies too heavily on steel-on-bone mechanics.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give my thoughts on what I consider a genuinely good game. Regardless, glad to come back to character action games after a while and looking forward to playing as Vergil. I will probably go for the platinum as well seeing as I've already got a couple of SSS ranks without really trying (albeit they were for boss chapters).

Any tips for playing as Vergil? Looking into metal gear rising next after finishing up with DmC. Was a big fan of Bayonetta and it looks to have similar combat mechanics but I may be mistaken.

Dahbomb

Gods Must Die is the hardest DmC difficulty actually.

That list does not look that fake, minus DMC5 and Parapapa. The other are stuff we already know or isn't really a big deal.

Honestly DMC5 is the only megaton on there and I am not just saying that because this is the DMC thread and we are all DMC fans here. Nothing else on there is as high profile or as high demanded as DMC5.

TreIII

That's some nice fanfiction, if nothing else!

Sega being willing to go all in with Yakuza to that degree, when 0 hasn't even proved itself yet, is enough of a red flag for me, as it is!

I'll echo what GE said. It's a really fun game and thus far I've had no problem playing it without spending any real money on its F2P stuff.

You may want to check out One Piece Treasure Cruise, if you get a chance and have a smartphone. It's fun!

OK I've been playing it for a few days now and I don't know what I'm doing. I have a team of Gladius, Urouge and Gear 2 Luffy and things keep happening.

BHK3

Banned
So I have an asian physical version of this game, have for about 6 months now. Problem is I never noticed the DLC included on a voucher had an expiration date. Tried it today and yup, its gone. Would I need to go to the hong kong store to buy the costumes or will the US store work fine? $6 down the drain :(

Top Bottom