• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Based on Capcom's announcement history, they've gotten a lot better at staying mum until about a year before release.

I never ever relied upon VA "teases," and frankly getting worked up over rumors will really only get people frustrated. Twitter ain't a source. For me, it was mostly a combination of Itsuno working on a new project, the climate related to DMC4SE, and the various Verendus posts...

I'm not worried.
With Verendus getting permabanned and mods confirming that he made a lot of stuff up and mixed them in with real info, I'm not sure if I would trust him as a source for things that he mentioned anymore.

If we take V's hints out of equation then what you said GE sounds more like general optimism than any real signs pointing towards DMC5 being Itsuno's new project. For all intents and purposes he might be working on another Capcom IP like that Onimusha trademark that we had a while back, or another fighter like Rival Schools. Or hell, you know how Capcom has been quite about Deep Down other than passingly mentioning it in the past year or so? What if they've changed that into a Dragon's Dogma sequel and that's the project that Itsuno is making? With Ono being tied up to SFV as they are trying to support it for 4 more years, Itsuno taking over that project wouldn't actually be that crazy to suggest.

Anyway, my point is that we can't really say what game Itsuno is working on. Cause there has been zero indication whether it's DMC5. The only silver lining that I have for DMC5 is that investors report but even that was published before DMC4SE came out so they might've been talking about that.

It's already been 1.5 year since 4SE got released and as I said we have had zero indication from Capcom that we will get any more DMC games or that 4SE and DE were anything more than Capcom banking on DMC fanbase to get a little bit of extra cash. (like they've done in the past with their other Special and Ultimate releases)

So yeah, I don't think our confidence in DMC5 is that much warranted to be honest. Of course I won't tell anyone how they should feel or think about this matter, but right now, I think DMC5 has about the same chance of happening as any other MIA Capcom game.

Dahbomb

Come on SoS... knock it off with the gloom and doom stuff.

DMC5 is being made and it's coming. I will bet my account on it.

Sesha

There's no doubt in my mind now that DMC5 is happening, that we will see at E3 next year, and that it will release in 2018.

There's no way they're making a new Street Fighter, a new mainline Resident Evil, a new Dead Rising, a new Marvel vs. Capcom, a Resident Evil 2 remake, several new Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, and Sengoku Basara games, but not a new Devil May Cry. Any doubt that it is happening is either due to a lack of attentiveness, or denial as a coping mechanism to the pain of being disappointed so many times.

It's clear to me that the lack of big Capcom titles since the current generation started until this year was not just caused by their financial state. It was partially due to Capcom being caught off guard by the new gen and by its success, and so they had a delayed response to making new titles. The other factor was they were busy in restructuring and so couldn't really get the ball rolling on new internal projects.

E3 next year makes the most sense because everything else is out of the way, and because they won't announce the game too early. Who knows, maybe they would wait until PSX, and instead focus on MvC:I or RE2make or whatever. We'll see. Or maybe TGS, or random tuesday, but that last one seems unlikely considering that every big reveal sans RE2make has been at a major event. Either way, it will be revealed in the mid-to-late 2017 timeframe.

As for 2018, Capcom has no major releases scheduled for it so far, everything has been 2016 or 2017. It fits their "major releases every year with DLC between sequels" plan. The pipeline in the 2015 integrated report detailed SF, RE, MH, DR, DMC and "other" titles for release by March 31, 2018. We've seen all of them but DMC.

You all know this but I just wanted to reiterate it, and also reassure myself. It. Is. Happening. DMC5. 2018. Be motivated. Believe.

Come on SoS... knock it off with the gloom and doom stuff.

DMC5 is being made and it's coming. I will bet my account on it.
n59HFR9.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
With Verendus getting permabanned and mods confirming that he made a lot of stuff up and mixed them in with real info, I'm not sure if I would trust him as a source for things that he mentioned anymore.

If we take V's hints out of equation then what you said GE sounds more like general optimism than any real signs pointing towards DMC5 being Itsuno's new project. For all intents and purposes he might be working on another Capcom IP like that Onimusha trademark that we had a while back, or another fighter like Rival Schools. Or hell, you know how Capcom has been quite about Deep Down other than passingly mentioning it in the past year or so? What if they've changed that into a Dragon's Dogma sequel and that's the project that Itsuno is making? With Ono being tied up to SFV as they are trying to support it for 4 more years, Itsuno taking over that project wouldn't actually be that crazy to suggest.

Anyway, my point is that we can't really say what game Itsuno is working on. Cause there has been zero indication whether it's DMC5. The only silver lining that I have for DMC5 is that investors report but even that was published before DMC4SE came out so they might've been talking about that.

It's already been 1.5 year since 4SE got released and as I said we have had zero indication from Capcom that we will get any more DMC games or that 4SE and DE were anything more than Capcom banking on DMC fanbase to get a little bit of extra cash. (like they've done in the past with their other Special and Ultimate releases)

So yeah, I don't think our confidence in DMC5 is that much warranted to be honest. Of course I won't tell anyone how they should feel or think about this matter, but right now, I think DMC5 has about the same chance of happening as any other MIA Capcom game.

I choose to believe Verendus because he was incredibly accurate around the time where he advised there was a DMC5 being planned. At some point, he had enough inaccuracies where it led to his ban, but he was pretty much on point with everything around that time.

And yes, maybe something's changed. Maybe Itsuno was put on another project. Maybe the CFO opted to change directions. Maybe everyone on the team is busy with other games. There could be a million different things that happened in the meantime, but I also don't have any reason to believe there is something blockading development of DMC5.

You can pick any number of reasons why DMC5 is an uncertainty, because it is until we get a reveal trailer. But I'm sticking to my guns. There weren't any reasons to believe an MVC was in the works for the past year, and all of a sudden we're getting a gameplay footage tonight. There's a quiet before the storm, and I'm not choosing to jump train.

Also, I haven't seen any re-release with the level of development that we saw in DMC4SE. Even Capcom's biggest franchise, Resident Evil, just got current gen ports.

I can provide further counter points to the stuff that you guys said
(like RE remasters not needing further improvements since the series has always maintained a certain presence among public and those particular remastered games being fan requested titles to begin with)
but I don't wanna dampen the mood anymore than I have already so let's hope that it's just me being pessimistic/frustrated and nothing more.

Dahbomb

Yeah Capcom has put out everything out of the way.

ALL FOCUS will be on DMC5 at E3. No more MvC, no more RE, no MH, DR crap...

Sole focus on DMC5 as their main flagship title for E3. It's going to be god damn glorious.

Itsuno is come in and save us from all the mediocre action games. And then you will hang your head in shame for even doubting for a SECOND. And then Itsuno will forgive your insolence and deliver a godlike action gaming experience.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I can provide further counter points to the stuff that you guys said
(like RE remasters not needing further improvements since the series has always maintained a certain presence among public and those particular remastered games being fan requested titles to begin with)
but I don't wanna dampen the mood anymore than I have already so let's hope that it's just me being pessimistic/frustrated and nothing more.

You can provide a million counterpoints to anything, man. Until we have DMC5 announced, anyone could.

You often seem to dance dramatically between clutching onto rumors/hope to deep despair and pessimism. I'd recommend being patient. We've all been waiting and can relate. It's rough.

Yeah Capcom has put out everything out of the way.

ALL FOCUS will be on DMC5 at E3. No more MvC, no more RE, no MH, DR crap...

Sole focus on DMC5 as their main flagship title for E3. It's going to be god damn glorious.

Itsuno is come in and save us from all the mediocre action games. And then you will hang your head in shame for even doubting for a SECOND. And then Itsuno will forgive your insolence and deliver a godlike action gaming experience.

What's crazy is that there will be no action games like it when it gets revealed. There's no Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, W101, MGR nothing. Bad for the genre, but great for DMC.

You often seem to dance dramatically between clutching onto rumors/hope to deep despair and pessimism. I'd recommend being patient. We've all been waiting and can relate. It's rough.
You are right and I do that
(with next DMC and to some extent Persona 5)
but as you've said it yourself, it's just because we've been waiting for so long that each no-show from DMC on big event (where much crazier stuff happen) just makes me that more doubtful about it even being a thing. It's especially worse since we haven't had any sort of indication that this might be an actual project. Like, if MvC wasn't announced at PSX today, I would've been disappointed but I still easily could've hope to see it at E3 or other events since it had many solid looking rumors/leaks/teases (the "When is Marvel" tease by Ono pretty much confirmed it being an actual project).

But with DMC5, as the time passes it feels more and more like it's just wishful thinking cause we don't get anything of that sorts. It really doesn't help that Capcom completely ignores the series. Like if we had a simple acknowledgment on 15th anniversary with a "stay tuned" tweet/message/whatever , or tonight's MvC:I trailer had Dante or Vergil in it (or if they were even simply name dropped at press release like Cap was) it would've made it a lot easier for me to stay positive.

But yeah, I'll try to shake this feeling off.

its aite SoS, I always feel gloomy after every gaming convention when there is nothing related to DMC. The announcement of DMC5 is all I care about to the point where I rarely get hyped for games that I am actually interested like Nier, Nioh, MvCI, Uncharted DLC etc...

Like I really enjoyed TLoU but part II announcement barely got me hyped because there was no DMC.
All in all, no reason to doubt whether DMC5 is in the works cuz devs just don't do this and forget about it:

Chin up SoS... DMC5 will get its spotlight and like dah mentioned, its gonna be glorious.
You won't have to wait long before another DMC5 tease and you are gonna pull out em' bollywood gifs lol
Also this past page felt like a support group lmao.

SoS: Hi I'm SoS, and I am waiting for DMC5...
Gaf: Hi SoS

its aite SoS, I always feel gloomy after every gaming convention when there is nothing related to DMC. The announcement of DMC5 is all I care about to the point where I rarely get hyped for games that I am actually interested like Nier, Nioh, MvCI, Uncharted DLC etc...

Like I really enjoyed TLoU but part II announcement barely got me hyped because there was no DMC.
All in all, no reason to doubt whether DMC5 is in the works cuz devs just don't do this and forget about it:

Chin up SoS... DMC5 will get its spotlight and like dah mentioned, its gonna be glorious.
You won't have to wait long before another DMC5 tease and you are gonna pull out em' bollywood gifs lol
Also this past page felt like a support group lmao.

SoS: Hi I'm SoS, and I am waiting for DMC5...
Gaf: Hi SoS
Thanks man. It's not like I don't have anything else to be excited about. I freaking lost my shit over the 2 new Yakuza announcements which means that now we are getting 3 new PS4 Yakuza games (Y0, Y1 Remake and Y6) in west. Frankly I think I'm still in shock and haven't fully comprehend that. That's how huge of an announcement that was to me and the Yakuza-GAF as a whole. But just like you said, at the end of the keynote, as amazing as it was, the fact that DMC5 was yet again a no-show just... bothered me, a lot.

And yeah, I swear I was just about to say that it's starting to feel like a support group and then I saw that you've mentioned it yourself lol

Golnei

Ravus (Luna's brother) would have made for such a great Vergil design.

I don't quite see it.

FFXV_07-21-16_001.jpg

Even just the costume doesn't leave as much of an impression as Vergil's striking DMC3 colour scheme and simple silhouette - the restrained patterning on the coat and vest + cravat allow it to be visually interesting while maintaining an overall simplicity, which suits his character; whereas Ravus's multiple belts, crests, ornaments and adornments combined with the purple eyesore of an arm are cluttered in comparison. It could probably work better than DmC Vergil if it were streamlined a little, though.

Or do you mean
his daemon form? I quite liked how they tried to emphasise the grotesque aspects compared to regular FF transformations; that might be a good starting point for a new Nero Angelo design. They even have similar horns. Though there's also a lingering Uroboros parallel to be made...

(Disregard all of this if you're being sarcastic, I'm bad at interpreting tone and in this case not sure how to take the "masterpiece" comment.)

BadWolf

I don't quite see it.

FFXV_07-21-16_001.jpg

Even just the costume doesn't leave as much of an impression as Vergil's striking DMC3 colour scheme and simple silhouette - the restrained patterning on the coat and vest + cravat allow it to be visually interesting while maintaining an overall simplicity, which suits his character; whereas Ravus's multiple belts, crests, ornaments and adornments combined with the purple eyesore of an arm are cluttered in comparison. It could probably work better than DmC Vergil if it were streamlined a little, though.

Or do you mean
his daemon form? I quite liked how they tried to emphasise the grotesque aspects compared to regular FF transformations; that might be a good starting point for a new Nero Angelo design. They even have similar horns. Though there's also a lingering Uroboros parallel to be made...

(Disregard all of this if you're being sarcastic, I'm bad at interpreting tone and in this case not sure how to take the "masterpiece" comment.)

Nope, being serious.

Whenever I saw Ravus on screen I couldn't help but feel what a great design he would have made for an 'older' Vergil, especially in the clothes department (whether you apply Vergil's color scheme to him or not).

Dahbomb

That looks a lot like Reuben Langdon. Which means it's close enough to the sons of Sparda.

I think if you change it to the Vergil hairstyle, made him paler with blue eyes he would look a lot like Vergil.

Finished FFXV, the game is such a masterpiece.

Ravus (Luna's brother) would have made for such a great Vergil design.

Still playing through that game (combat is so fun, if a little bit too chaotic at times), but yeah, that's the first thing that came to mind after seeing him. I'm not so sure on the costume but the face and hair look quite fit for an older Vergil.

I like the high cheekbones in the Ravus facial design, but I think it's important for Vergil's clothing to feel baroque-but-restrained. He's closer to Sparda in appearance than Dante is and his clothing shouldn't feel flashy. Ravus's stuff is just a little bit too heavily adorned for my tastes (even if the basic cut of his jacket isn't bad).

I'm more curious to see what sort of new character design we get for Vergil when he's inevitably humbled/redeemed/rescued (which his character is more or less due for, I think, after what happened to him at the end of DMC3 and after what happened to him in DMC1).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That looks a lot like Reuben Langdon. Which means it's close enough to the sons of Sparda.

I think if you change it to the Vergil hairstyle, made him paler with blue eyes he would look a lot like Vergil.

lol, you're absolutely right. He's a deadringer for Reuben.

BadWolf

Would they use the RE engine for the eventual DMC5 you reckon? Since RE7 is 60fps and looks pretty good.

It wouldn't be surprising since DMC4, RE6 etc. were made on the same engine and they did say that they would be using the new RE engine for other games.

All depends on what state the engine was in when development on DMC5 started I guess.

Sesha

Would they use the RE engine for the eventual DMC5 you reckon? Since RE7 is 60fps and looks pretty good.

Doubtful. RE Engine is intended for future mainline RE titles, where they're aiming for photorealism, and is optimised for VR.

DMC5 will probably run on UE4 like SFV and Mahvel Infinite, or a new engine.

Isn't that photo realistic technology thingy a big part of that engine? I doubt Capcom would use such an expensive tech for DMC series. Especially since you can't capture a lot of DMC assets (like all of the enemies and probably many of the environmental objects) using that tech, because of the fantastical nature of the series as oppose to RE series and it's realistic setting.

Dahbomb

One of the Capcom veterans who worked on previous VS games AND DMC4 is now working on Marvel Infinite.

So yeah DMC characters incoming. Nero might finally make into a VS game.

Doubtful. RE Engine is intended for future mainline RE titles, where they're aiming for photorealism, and is optimised for VR.

DMC5 will probably run on UE4 like SFV and Mahvel Infinite, or a new engine.

Isn't that photo realistic technology thingy a big part of that engine? I doubt Capcom would use such an expensive tech for DMC series. Especially since you can't capture a lot of DMC assets (like all of the enemies and probably many of the environmental objects) using that tech, because of the fantastical nature of the series as oppose to RE series and it's realistic setting.

Yeah I don't want my DMC5 looking realistic, guess UE4 makes more sense.

Uhh you guys may want to watch this:

https://youtu.be/7S_1KoPr8Nw?t=3m53s

BadWolf

One of the Capcom veterans who worked on previous VS games AND DMC4 is now working on Marvel Infinite.

So yeah DMC characters incoming. Nero might finally make into a VS game.

The bros better make it in then too because otherwise people will be too busy blaming Nero for their absence instead of appreciating his presence.

Lady making it in would be awesome.

I kind of look at it like with MGS, they moved forward with more and more realism but in the end they still had the MGS/Shinkawa style present in the visuals and their realism was never really as boring/flat like in many western games.

Expecting something similar with DMC5.

The bros better make it in then too because otherwise people will be too busy blaming Nero for their absence instead of appreciating his presence.

I kind of look at it like with MGS, they moved forward with more and more realism but in the end they still had the MGS/Shinkawa style present in the visuals and their realism was never really as boring/flat like in many western games.

That's ultimately what I want too.

The game can have realistic graphics and still be fantastical though. Look at FFXV for example. I'm not saying that they won't make it look more life like. I guess I didn't manage to make my point clear enough. They can't use that technology for DMC cause it scans real life objects and puts them in the game. You can do that with RE series since it is set in a realistic setting. But DMC is (mostly) happening in a surreal world with fantastical creatures and environments. You can make them look realistic but you can't scan real life objects and then mesh them together to get the assets needed for creating DMC enemies and such.

I don't know if that makes more sense or not. But my point is that even if they make the game more realistic looking in its graphics, they still need to create the assets themselves cause it's still happening in a surreal world hence the need for fantastical designs/assets.

Too much "fantastical", I know. Couldn't find a better word. Sorry.

Dahbomb

Graphics and engine are the least of my concerns at this moment. I guess it does matter a lot that the game looks nice to sell but as long as it doesn't look like butt I will be fine with it.

That was more engine talk than graphic talk though. I guess having RE engine at least has the bonus of guaranteeing 60fps on all platforms. Including peasants OG PS4/X1.

Sesha

It's not just about the assets. I would imagine that the RE Engine handles lighting and VFX differently than what a DMC game requires. Maybe RE Engine can handle whatever DMC requires just fine, but since it's meant for RE games and VR, I doubt it. If they struggle with Panta Rhei yet made RE Engine relatively fast and problem free, then I imagine RE Engine is much more specialized towards what they're already doing in RE7 and less all round useful.

Yeah that too. All in all, as the name suggests, it seems to be a very specific engine that is built with the needs of RE series (RE7 in particular) in mind.

Edit: Seeing the whole XV mess, I wonder what kind of (if any) post-release support DMC4 might've gotten if it was to be released in this day and age. Hopefully Capcom has learned it's lesson and we won't have to worry about that with DMC5. But it certainly does make you curious.

Golnei

Edit: Seeing the whole XV mess, I wonder what kind of (if any) post-release support DMC4 might've gotten if it was to be released in this day and age. Hopefully Capcom has learned it's lesson and we won't have to worry about that with DMC5. But it certainly does make you curious.

Given the differing priorities between an action game and RPGs, I doubt XV's situation would map that well onto DMC4's campaign woes; in terms of what was considered necessary to follow up on - and post-release support in the form of additional characters and weapons would be a lot easier to monetise than XV's story revisions. The different levels of significance the series have to their respective companies (DMC has always trailed behind Capcom's biggest series, FF is for better or worse the face of SE) would also be a factor in implementing post-release changes, look at everything incorporated into RE6's patches. In any case, some DLC would have been inevitable had DMC4 released even a few years later.

Also, the situations aren't really comparable, but as long as we're bringing up DMC4 and FFXV against each other, it's sort of funny that people are actually begging to go through the same environments in reverse order
in the World of Ruin
for the latter.

TreIII

I'm expecting at least Dante and Vergil again, if asset reuse makes things easier, and we're going to be promoting certain "duos" this time (like I expect with X and Zero, eventually).

Nero would just sweeten the deal quite a bit.

Yeah, and you can really only expect but so much "realism" when you got good-looking, white haired guys and the demons they hunt at the center of things.

It's still going to be fairly stylish in the end.

Arttemis

Trish might be my favorite, but Vergil is a close second. Then Lady and Nero are tied. I'm really not a fan of Dante's weapons in DMC4. I'd rather choose two out of 7 or 8 than three that aren't too my taste.

Given the differing priorities between an action game and RPGs, I doubt XV's situation would map that well onto DMC4's campaign woes; in terms of what was considered necessary to follow up on - and post-release support in the form of additional characters and weapons would be a lot easier to monetise than XV's story revisions. The different levels of significance the series have to their respective companies (DMC has always trailed behind Capcom's biggest series, FF is for better or worse the face of SE) would also be a factor in implementing post-release changes, look at everything incorporated into RE6's patches. In any case, some DLC would have been inevitable had DMC4 released even a few years later.

Also, the situations aren't really comparable, but as long as we're bringing up DMC4 and FFXV against each other, it's sort of funny that people are actually begging to go through the same environments in reverse order
in the World of Ruin
for the latter.
Yeah, I guess you really can't make a one on one comparison between the two games. But I still think we could've expected to see at least some changes to DMC4 campaign structure after the backlash and maybe even get one or two new bosses and enemies for Dante's side of things. Of course the game would've had paid DLCs (much like DMC5 will) and they could've continued supporting the game through those as well. At any rate, I think DMC4 would've become a more complete product through Capcom's post launch support (paid or otherwise) if it was to release in this generation. I guess in that regard DMC4 kinda fell prey to being an early last gen title. (before DLCs and patches became standards)

Also, in regards to what you said about XV, I'm actually one of those people :) It's just such an intriguing idea. Hopefully the team at SE manages to make that happen eventually. I wouldn't even mind paying 10-20 bucks for it if they do manage to make it as unique as it seems to be.

Golnei

Also, in regards to what you said about XV, I'm actually one of those people :) It's just such an intriguing idea. Hopefully the team at SE manages to make that happen eventually. I wouldn't even mind paying 10-20 bucks for it if they do manage to make it as unique as it seems to be.

I'd definitely like to see that as well - it was so underexplored ingame, and the hints about events occurring at the periphery only made the wasted potential seem worse. The couple of parallels XV's game design has with Dragon's Dogma also made
the lack of a fully explorable "dark world"
all the more painful.

It doesn't seem like something they're planning to add in their current set of updates, but I'd also pay for it as a separate DLC if they did something worthwhile with it. Considering the temporary party members are probably going to be expanded on in some way in the regular patch content anyway, making them playable in a
World of Ruin
DLC would be so obvious.

But that's going well off topic.

I'd definitely like to see that as well - it was so underexplored ingame, and the hints about events occurring at the periphery only made the wasted potential seem worse. The couple of parallels XV's game design has with Dragon's Dogma also made
the lack of a fully explorable "dark world"
all the more painful.

It doesn't seem like something they're planning to add in their current set of updates, but I'd also pay for it as a separate DLC if they did something worthwhile with it. Considering the temporary party members are probably going to be expanded on in some way in the regular patch content anyway, making them playable in a
World of Ruin
DLC would be so obvious.

But that's going well off topic.
Yeah, I completely agree. Especially on the Dragon's Dogma comparison. Unfortunately the game was so obviously rushed that devs probably didn't even had time to completely realize that part of the story. Hopefully after they add (the needless) story contents they can focus on creating a true
World of Ruin
for that part.

And yes, we are getting way off topic so we probably should stop here :)

Top Bottom