• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

HYDE

Banned
It couldn't really be easier. Just make a new account on your PS4. It'll ask for your location. You just choose a country. I chose Thailand. Then I put in a county, city, and zipcode for a random Thailand location that I looked up on Google.

Then just navigate to the PSN store and put in the code. Download it onto your PS4. Then switch back to your real account and enjoy.

Thanks a lot...looking forward to joining you guys this weekend.

I'm kinda okay with Trish's overall air game being a bit weak because she's so crazy good at crowd control, but I do wish they'd give her some more trap mechanics and some further/weirder transformations for the Sparda sword.

I'd *really* be down for Trish's charged L&O shots leaving a trail of electricity in the air as a trap just like her Killer Bee does, though arguably that might be too powerful because you could buffer it and then just release an insta-stun practically anytime (and it'd sort of obviate the use of some of her Pandora attacks).

Lady really just needs a mobility boost; her offensive abilities are crazy powerful and pretty flexible as it is.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What is this I'm hearing about super versions of characters? I don't know anything about that.

Beating DMD with a respective character unlocks a Super version of the character for regular and Bloody Palace play. For Nero, he has unlimited Max-Act and DT. Dante has unlimited DT and Pandora Gauge. Vergil has infinite DT and Concentration gauge.

To balance this out, using Super characters will result in a huge deduction to your overall score, making it impossible to get S ranks for missions or the Bloody Palace.

Trish and Lady do not have Super versions.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I feel like I'm trying to prove something by playing on LDK, but I'm having more frustration than fun.

We told you to go back to Devil Hunter, man. LDK is fun once you have fully upgraded characters. It's just not balanced around starting out (if it's balanced at all, really).

MegaPanda

For Trish, BB, spam B seems to be a hidden combo. It skips the 4rd and 5th hit of Combo B and goes straight to the stab. Also, how do I pull off the giant laser with Pandora? :/

Beating DMD with a respective character unlocks a Super version of the character for regular and Bloody Palace play. For Nero, he has unlimited Max-Act and DT. Dante has unlimited DT and Pandora Gauge. Vergil has infinite DT and Concentration gauge.

To balance this out, using Super characters will result in a huge deduction to your overall score, making it impossible to get S ranks for missions or the Bloody Palace.

Trish and Lady do not have Super versions.

I think Super Dante has unlimited Royal Guard gauge too, right? It's been a while.

And wow, bummer that there isn't a Super version of either of the women (though Lady kinda owns the shit out of bosses and Blitzes anyway).

Man, I nearly forgot how good the opening cutscenes from DMC4 were. That first fight between Nero and Dante sets things up so well for an otherwise middling story.

Dahbomb

The opening Dante/Nero cutscenes were godlike. Shame the rest of the cutscenes never lived up (outside of a few whimsical Dante shenanigans).

Psuedo-heal Dante is best Dante!

You unlock the EX colors by killing at least 30 enemies during the credits when you beat mission 20.

Vergil is broken, but Lady is the character I have the most fun with. Once you learn to charge her weapons while doing special moves it's a wrap. Didn't even think it was possible to make Lady an OP character. I ain't questioning Itsuno anymore when it comes to this combat shit. Let that man do his thing for DMC5.

I can't believe this game has taken my soul once again.

Finished Mission 2 with Nero. Old habits with that character came back to me real quick, even though I don't have DT unlocked yet. I had just under 100K proud souls left over after unlocking his moves before the start of Mission 1. Exceed is still a ton of fun, as are stacking charge shots while making use of a nice variety of sword combos. Though after loving the hell out of Vergil's Grim Trick, the fun of Nero's Devil Bringer feels SLIGHTLY diminished. The reach is pitiful compared to the maximum range you can fire a Summoned Sword, and no invincibility upon using the bringer to pull yourself toward bosses like Berial is a bummer. Got hit with his sword attacks way more than I did with the new characters.

Maybe, just maybe, by the time I get to Dante I'll have a better understanding of how use him effectively, at least in a manner that I feel personally satisfied with.

lol something funny just happened.

Picked Super Vergil, fighting Dante in the last stage of BP and he had a sliver of health and went into RG.

I did my judgement cut end and he appear to block everything and then the fight was over, but dante kept on doing royal release lol... funny little glitch i guess

Kaleinc

Banned
That explains the huge disparity in our impressions. Of course Lady is a beast in DH. The amount of power she's packing, she shreds enemies on LDK, which have 175% health of DH enemies.
Are you sure? LDK enemies used to have less health than on DH, almost as weak as on Human.

so doing BP with Super Vergil made me realize a strat with Blitz.

JC End does remove his shield but other than that I have no good method of removing his shield. But once he loses his shield, instead of doing Shoryu Reppa, do his regular 5 hit combo that ends with him 2 handing the sword. Distort that and it guarantees Blitz goes into Red mode with less health at which point you just summon sword him out.

I think LDK enemies have less health than even DH enemies (despite being as strong as SoS enemies otherwise), but LDK bosses are identical to SoS bosses. Pretty sure that's how it was in the original version, anyway.

IbukiLordSA

Still trying to download this game :( only on 11.5gb and says I have 55 hours left, really annoyed at this at the moment.

To put into context within the same time period I have downloaded the new Batman patch, 3.5gb and the DLC, the new MKX patch I think that was 2gb and the 18gb Killer Instinct patch, these all finished on Tuesday night yet for some reason this game is just chugging along at 56k download speeds.

Veelk

Banned
I think LDK enemies have less health than even DH enemies (despite being as strong as SoS enemies otherwise), but LDK bosses are identical to SoS bosses. Pretty sure that's how it was in the original version, anyway.

You'd think they'd mention that then, because they explicitly say that the health is SoS levels. I'm not saying your wrong, but I have no way to gauge this. Lady is a new character and I am playing LDK mode from the get go, so I only have the one point of reference. I never really paid attention to individual demons health since I had to handle them in droves and lady is supposed to be very powerful, so the fact that she cleans house with individual demons seemed expected. But when I played mission 2,i didn't notice them living longer. In fact, the opposite. They seemed to die faster as expected... But that might have just been because they were in smaller number, so I ended the groups quicker. Idk, I'll check tomorrow I guess.

Kaleinc

Banned
Dunno what game your playing, but I saw a stark difference in the amount of damage burial took at DH AND LDK, and he went down way easier on DH.

http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Difficulty_Mode

Says here they are at SoS levels and SoS levels have 175% health.
You mentioned regular enemies first, bosses are a different story. Clearing LDK with SoS enemies would be pretty hard even for really good players, their health was lower than DH and I'm sure the same is true about SE.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Still getting used to Lady. I changed the controls a bit but still having issues with pulling up stuff.

JackelZXA

I know it's not important but the new cutscenes for the new characters are pretty just completely nothing. (Not even mentioning how the few bits of action scenes feel like imitations of expectation) But also the character stories are really jammed in there. "Vergil mysteriously walks into town 20+ years ago, then mysteriously walks out." Why even put a cutscene in there at all? It's just nothing. (obviously that's not what someone would buy this for, I just had to vent my reaction to those)

Dahbomb

I know it's not important but the new cutscenes for the new characters are pretty just completely nothing. (Not even mentioning how the few bits of action scenes feel like imitations of expectation) But also the character stories are really jammed in there. "Vergil mysteriously walks into town 20+ years ago, then mysteriously walks out." Why even put a cutscene in there at all? It's just nothing. (obviously that's not what someone would buy this for, I just had to vent my reaction to those)
It's a confirmation that Vergil is Nero's father.

Oh and get your Vergil SWAG ON BOYS!!!!!

GET FUCKING DESTROYED SON!!!!

Sgblues

Would have been interesting if there was a cut scene involving Santus and he sees Vergil styling on demons and he's like "Yo this is hype!" and then have another in which years later they bring him the broken Yamato and he's like "OMG! I know what this is! Hey Agnus! Fix this for me!"

I'll be playing Virgil on SOS

I have a finger brace on my right index finger but pain is not enough to keep me away from some Virgil gameplay

Twitch.tv/lowhighkang

I'm still getting grips with vergil so don't expect high level play on SOS.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
My word, this game is more fun that I expected. Never was hardcore into it but this is a blast.

Trying to record footage for a frame-rate test and I'm playing Legendary Dark Knight mode with turbo enabled - it's just insanity. Always at the edge of death but so much fun. Have a lot to learn.

MCD

Uninstalled and downloading the game again. Hoping the brief "freezing" in menu will go away for me on X1.

Problem is I can't find anything about this particular issue on the internet.

fertygo

My word, this game is more fun that I expected. Never was hardcore into it but this is a blast.

Trying to record footage for a frame-rate test and I'm playing Legendary Dark Knight mode with turbo enabled - it's just insanity. Always at the edge of death but so much fun. Have a lot to learn.

Put some video breh.. video from non-advanced player can be fun too.

Golnei

The Jeanne and Claire textures mainly work now, though I can't edit some of their normal and specular maps.
4cjwsog.png

4jpeshm.png

I might try to do Vergil's UMVC3 palettes next.

Man, I forgot how much of a pain in the ass Secret Mission 3 was. Even going back to it with the Aegis Shield after beating Credo, it's difficult to get the style rank high enough before the scarecrows take too much of a beating.

Oh well. Only eight more blue orb fragments to go. Also, fighting Credo again as Nero went so well, surprisingly more so than Vergil despite being a simpler character. It's such a good fight to practice Table Hopping.

Seyavesh

putting neros hair on vergil makes him look almost exactly like nero i guess

putting uncle dantes hair on vergil makes him look very silly
8RWJ8mK.jpg

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I have a PS4, XB1, and a PC (w/980). I'm not sure which to get this for. I have the original DMC4 on my PC but have sadly never played it, so maybe I should just go with that.

BadWolf

Man, I forgot how much of a pain in the ass Secret Mission 3 was. Even going back to it with the Aegis Shield after beating Credo, it's difficult to get the style rank high enough before the scarecrows take too much of a beating.

Too much of a beating? You shouldn't be hitting them, just grab one and stand in front of another enemy and let that enemy do the work. Using an enemy as a shield (while another enemy hits it) builds the style meter really well in general.

Also taunt while holding the enemy to build the style meter faster. You yourself shouldn't be attacking.

Top Bottom