• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

BadWolf

*shrug* Maybe I just suck at the game, but no, I disagree. Charged shotgun works for one of them, or 3 of them since you got 3 rounds with it, but I'm facing 15 of them, with all of them moving around, and you have no way of zooming at them to utilize that shotgun. And while I'm trying to take care of one fish, they attack me from what I feel is off screen. Maybe I'm just missing them, but I have the monitor in my face and there's like 20 enemies onscreen at a time, lots of movement, so it's very hard to keep track.

Maybe if I gain more familiarity, I'll be able to keep track of everything going on at once and find some way to keep lady moving despite her significant animation lengths to dodge all these attacks coming from everywhere, but I am never going to get to that skill level that big level players are at.

Also, I might be completely off base here, but her double jump feels different somehow.

Look, don't get me wrong. I really like playing as her. The damage output she has is insane. But I can't say I feel the game is designed for her when I feel I can see an attack coming, but the animation is stopping me from dodging or that if the shotgun is supposed to be the way I defeat them, I should have a way of getting out of their attacks that seem to come from everywhere. It could be that you're just at a higher skill level than me, but I don't think I'm terrible at this game and I'm getting wrekt.

You're playing LDK?

There's really no pointing in judging a character's balance based on that mode.

Personally waiting to get to DMD to give the final verdict on her.

EDIT: Oh and you don't get 3 shots with the charged shotgun, it's until the timer runs out. Was able to do 10 shots or so before the charge wore off.

Has anyone gotten that "original version" code to work at the title screen on PS4? I already started a game, so maybe I'd have to delete my data to use it or something.

Veelk

Banned
You're playing LDK?

There's really no pointing in judging a character's balance based on that mode.

Personally waiting to get to DMD to give the final verdict on her.

Yeah. I mean, that's a good point. The game itself wasn't originally supposed to have this many enemies.

I mean, it's either this or DH. DH with Lady is BORING. Like, it's probably the dullest possible way to play DMC4 because Lady is TOO damn powerful for her own good in that mode. The fact that she is a distance fighter just means that the game is essentially a shooting gallery.

But I see you're point. Maybe the shark things are easier to handle if there are less of them, because it really is the sheer number of them that's overwhelming. It's impossible to keep track.

Out of curiousity, what difficulty did you form your impressions on?

EDIT: Oh and you don't get 3 shots with the charged shotgun, it's until the timer runs out. Was able to do 10 shots or so before the charge wore off.
Oh, it does? Okay, sweet. But I'm guessing 10 shots is if you stand in place and fire it, which most things will already die by that point I think. And I still feel that the shotgun is harder to use since it's not accompanied by something that allows you to easily close in on enemies. If we had something like that? Oh man....

Also, I'm starting to use handguns more. I knew they were good, but now that I'm getting the hang of them, I'm realizing how powerful they are. They are relatively low commitment compared to Kalina Ann and the Shotgun while still being strong enough to swiss cheese enemies to death. I just cleared an entire room just standing in a corner, blasting away. Nothing could get close to me, it was awesome.

Yeah. I mean, that's a good point. The game itself wasn't originally supposed to have this many enemies.

I mean, it's either this or DH. DH with Lady is BORING. Like, it's probably the dullest possible way to play DMC4 because Lady is TOO damn powerful for her own good in that mode. The fact that she is a distance fighter just means that the game is essentially a shooting gallery.

But I see you're point. Maybe the shark things are easier to handle if there are less of them, because it really is the sheer number of them that's overwhelming. It's impossible to keep track.

Oh, it does? Okay, sweet. But I'm guessing 10 shots is if you stand in place and fire it, which most things will already die by that point I think. And I still feel that the shotgun is harder to use since it's not accompanied by something that allows you to easily close in on enemies. If we had something like that? Oh man....
I missed the bit about all the enemies, I can see why you were having issues if there was more than a dozen of those things!

To get the most out of shotgun charges you can walk while firing (easy to strafe around Angelos) or you can do enemy step cancel shoot over and over for big burst damage on bosses.

Why would you want to use the original version?
I thought maybe it would retain the new characters but leave everything else vanilla. But yeah, I guess it would literally just be the old DMC4 now that I think about it.

Still curious if anyone's done it or what it is, exactly.

Quote for completing DMD
7lqdKDQ.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Funny you should mention that because I fought them fishes just this morning and thought how piss easy they were compared to Nero and Dante lol.

Why bother with the wire when a charged shotgun gets them out of the ground in a second? The thing destroys them.

Imo she fights each enemy so well that it feels as if the game was designed around her. Can't speak for the bosses yet (since haven't fought all of them yet) but the non-boss enemies are a walk in the park for her.

Hmmm... guess I should buy the charged shotgun. I've just been using the Kaliana Ann because the charged pistols just seem weak on LDK and I haven't seen anything to make the Shotgun worth equipping. *shrug*

I am at the part he's talking about. Those numerous Blitz in the snowstorm is just UGH.

Can anyone confirm that beating the game on a higher difficulty nets you the trophy for the lower difficulty. Beating LDK only got me the LDK trophy and no other difficulty related ones.

Veelk

Banned
Hmmm... guess I should buy the charged shotgun. I've just been using the Kaliana Ann because the charged pistols just seem weak on LDK and I haven't seen anything to make the Shotgun worth equipping. *shrug*

I am at the part he's talking about. Those numerous Blitz in the snowstorm is just UGH.

Do you mean blitz or frosts? I've only faced blitz as a result of that dice game and I think in some rooms in the castle, unless I'm forgetting something. They're actually pretty easy, since they are designed by nature to dodge you a lot, which in Lady's case is actually to her advantage. Yes, by all means, let me just charge my shotgun, I'm sure you'll come out completely fine in that scenerio....

As for Frosts in the snowstorm, the first time I faced a gang of them, I got my ass handed to me. Now I feel I've learned to handle them better and want a rematch.
Can anyone confirm that beating the game on a higher difficulty nets you the trophy for the lower difficulty. Beating LDK only got me the LDK trophy and no other difficulty related ones.

Oh, thank god, maybe you can finally answer my question.

Does beating LDK unlock other difficulties?

It doesn't. I've completed devil hunter, SOS, and DMD and still need to complete Human for the trophy.

Kinda sucks but at least it gives me a reason to play more.

Also , does anyone find it easier to get Max-Acts on turbo ? Ive found i get them more consistently/ often compared to non turbo mode.

Do you mean blitz or frosts? I've only faced blitz as a result of that dice game and I think in some rooms in the castle, unless I'm forgetting something. They're actually pretty easy, since they are designed by nature to dodge you a lot, which in Lady's case is actually to her advantage. Yes, by all means, let me just charge my shotgun, I'm sure you'll come out completely fine in that scenerio....
This kind of makes me upset in retrospect that my first playthrough in the Lady/Trish campaign was on Devil Hunter so I couldn't give them a level 3 shotgun blast to the face. Fighting a Blitz as Trish is so tedious and the lightning stuff doesn't really help in those situations.

How do you manipulate the dice game again?

http://youtu.be/DKmch4VmmPg

You have to hit it with the right weapon though. Lady use triangle. Nero use O.

Ps: I had a cold when I put together that vid so sorry if I sound nasally.

LDK mode was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

It's best suited for Lady Trish imo.

http://youtu.be/ooexeo3Sq0g

As you can see their crowd control options are better. In before somebody says git gud, but I think its great.

As for Frosts in the snowstorm, the first time I faced a gang of them, I got my ass handed to me. Now I feel I've learned to handle them better and want a rematch.

Oh, thank god, maybe you can finally answer my question.

Does beating LDK unlock other difficulties?

Got me Bloody Palace and Son of Sparda mode

Played the first four missions with all the campaigns last night.
Speed upgrade is defiantly a must, but at times the startup is a little too early.

without upgrades Lady is really stale, once you get her abilities she's great. Her weapon feedback is really good.
A few small complaints though.
-Needs more taunts. I only found 3 and I wish they were better.
-I wish she can be pulled in against bosses like nero can.

Vegil
I am still working on a button config for him, Ive tried melee on x button and sword on R1. and sword on Y too. Just doesn't feel quite right. I really wish the game allowed multiple button with the same function. I don't need weapon swap in both directions for Lady or Virgel. I would love to map out guns to L1 and X so I can charge easier.

I am going to look up to see if I can change the music for Vergil. Hearing neros theme is starting to get to me.

Veelk

Banned
Got me Bloody Palace and Son of Sparda mode

No DMD? Damn, because LDK mode has SoS level enemies, doesn't it? So you'd basically be playing the mode you beat, but with fewer enemies...which might actually work, but it seems insane to me that SoSx2 unlocks SoSx1.

Seriously, Legendary Dark Knight and Devil Hunter should not give you the same reward for beating them. Oh well.

Also, when you say it unlocks SoS, does it do so for ALL characters, or just the ones you beat LDK with?

I havent played this since it came out in 2008 or 2009, whatever. I just got to play as Dante. Is Dante's part shorter than Nero's?
I really want to move on to Lady and Trish.

BadWolf

Out of curiousity, what difficulty did you form your impressions on?

Also, I'm starting to use handguns more. I knew they were good, but now that I'm getting the hang of them, I'm realizing how powerful they are. They are relatively low commitment compared to Kalina Ann and the Shotgun while still being strong enough to swiss cheese enemies to death. I just cleared an entire room just standing in a corner, blasting away. Nothing could get close to me, it was awesome.

I'm playing on Devil Hunter, the only reason being that I want to get to DMD asap (so Lady/Trish will be DH, Vergil for SOS and then back to Lady/Trish for DMD) and unlock Bloody Palace.

So basing my opinion of her so far on DH and what I've seen of BP.

Tbh I've been spending most of the time just breezing through the levels with the Shotgun, will be putting more time into the guns and Kalina Ann shortly. You do have the stinger with the Shotgun so you can close in with that but it's not really an issue for me since I spend most of my time in the close range.

Get the shotgun's charge shot to level 3 asap. Someone mentioned that one level 3 shotgun shot is about as powerful as a level 2 Kalina Ann charge shot, except you can fire about 10 shotgun shots on a single charge and move about while doing so. Even during the first showing I remember Itsuno saying that the Shotgun was her bread and butter iirc.

And always keep it charged, especially between battles so that you start fights with a fully loaded one. Lady is better at keeping her charge between areas than I remember Nero or Dante being and can actually carry her charges between floors in Bloody Palace.

I'm just messing around but for real, some of these enemy combos are just wrong. How about 15 Bianco Angelo's and a Blitz just to add a little spice? Sure, why not.

Oh yeah those are the worst. I just sad back with lady, let the Blitz attack the Angelos, built up DT and used it. Ladys DT on LDK is the official fuck it I'm out move.

Veelk

Banned
I'm playing on Devil Hunter, the only reason being that I want to get to DMD asap (so Lady/Trish will be DH, Vergil for SOS and then back to Lady/Trish for DMD) and unlock Bloody Palace.

So basing my opinion of her so far on DH and what I've seen of BP.

Tbh I've been spending most of the time just breezing through the levels with the Shotgun, will be putting more time into the guns and Kalina Ann shortly. You do have the stinger with the Shotgun so you can close in with that but it's not really an issue for me since I spend most of my time in the close range.

That explains the huge disparity in our impressions. Of course Lady is a beast in DH. The amount of power she's packing, she shreds enemies on LDK, which have 175% health of DH enemies. Besides that, you're not only facing fewer of them, but also you're facing weaker progressions of them at the beginning. It's not discount your experience, but at DH level, Lady doesn't need to have the game designed around her to clean house.

I was worried I just sucked and everyone else was wrecking shit with Lady in a way I didn't know how, but LDK mode is just a different beast compared to that, completely. I think you'll start to see some of what I mean about wanting her to be more mobile on Lady Must Die, where enemies probably don't stagger in the face of even her overwhelming might.

So how do I go about switching costumes in this game? I was given the choice right when I started a new game but now I can't find a costume switch anywhere. Am I losing my mind?

So how do I go about switching costumes in this game? I was given the choice right when I started a new game but now I can't find a costume switch anywhere. Am I losing my mind?
You can choose your costume when you pick a mission from the mission menu. Hit left or right after selecting a mission number to switch costumes.

so how do you unlock the alternate colors? Seems like all the alt costumes are already unlocked at the start of the game

I unlocked Lady's color by beating LDK but it didn't unlock Trish's. I'm guessing that's either SoS or DMD territory. Ranks wasn't recorded in LDK on the Total Ranking, so maybe you just have to complete it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I have a theory that maybe the EX colors are tied to the ending credits kill number, and with that particular character. I did the credits with both Trish and Lady separately and got their EX's.

Gregaman did say there were unlock conditions that they were keeping secret at the moment.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Makes sense, but how do you play the credits as Trish? Twice I'd played for only it to default to Lady.

I'm not sure. I got Trish once in the ending credits, but I don't know how. I played through on Son of Sparda and Heaven or Hell. Maybe it's randomized?

I'm not sure. I got Trish once in the ending credits, but I don't know how. I played through on Son of Sparda and Heaven or Hell. Maybe it's randomized?

How peculiar. I'm on SoS now so I'll see soon enough. At the very least, if the theory holds, we can assume it's gotta be number over 20 - 25 right?

Dinjoralo

One thing I'm interested about; The PC version of DMC4 is around 8 GB, but the Special Edition is three times that, at 27 GB. I know they added a lot, but I doubt it would be enough to make the game that much bigger.

ShinMaruku

Man I have a ball fighting frosts with either Nero or Vergil. They get spun or just get the boot when you hear Vergil say "You will die!"

Seyavesh

One thing I'm interested about; The PC version of DMC4 is around 8 GB, but the Special Edition is three times that, at 27 GB. I know they added a lot, but I doubt it would be enough to make the game that much bigger.

almost every single texture ive come across is 2048x2048, so i imagine they just straight up put the originally made texture files into the game instead of the compressed versions
there ya go i guess

Dinjoralo

almost every single texture ive come across is 2048x2048, so i imagine they just straight up put the originally made texture files into the game instead of the compressed versions
there ya go i guess

Oh, are they? I heard that they just put the textures from the original PC version in, rather than making everything even higher than that. That's nice.

Top Bottom