• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Veelk

Banned
Is there a way to mod out the enemy handicap stuff? I'm having a tough time sometimes, but that doesn't mean I want the game to go easy on me. It's such a frustrating mechanic, because it prevents me from learning by letting me advance before I'm ready.

Sectus

Oh, are they? I heard that they just put the textures from the original PC version in, rather than making everything even higher than that. That's nice.

I haven't looked at many texture files, but the few I've seen are identical to the old PC version.

Seyavesh

I haven't looked at many texture files, but the few I've seen are identical to the old PC version.

were the old ones at 2048x2048 for weapons/characters too?
that's really surprising

also geez going back to nero after playing everyone else sucksss i forgot how much i disliked his playstyle

Back home, time to continue Vergil's campaign.

Man, first Sanctus fight is a fucking joke with Vergil. Grim Trick with Spiral Swords + Just Judgment Cuts is so much more effective than Nero with his Devil Bringer and Air Combos ever were. Plus it was a complete opposite to how tedious it was to break his barrier as Lady.

This game is still screen-tearing central for me on PC. Can't fix it. It's just this game, not all my games or something.

I bought it on PS4 too (Hype got me) so I guess I'm switching over. Just too bad I have to miss out on 144hz.

HYDE

Banned
Yep. All you have to do is make an Asian account on your PS4, like Hong Kong or Thailand, and then redeem the codes on that account. It'll be available on your main account after downloading it.

The codes should be included in all first print copies.

I came in for this also...I will be getting my copy by the weekend. Can someone guide me to how to do this?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I came in for this also...I will be getting my copy by the weekend. Can someone guide me to how to do this?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

It couldn't really be easier. Just make a new account on your PS4. It'll ask for your location. You just choose a country. I chose Thailand. Then I put in a county, city, and zipcode for a random Thailand location that I looked up on Google.

Then just navigate to the PSN store and put in the code. Download it onto your PS4. Then switch back to your real account and enjoy.

Sectus

were the old ones at 2048x2048 for weapons/characters too?
that's really surprising

also geez going back to nero after playing everyone else sucksss i forgot how much i disliked his playstyle

Just took a lot at more textures, there's definitely a bunch of textures which are higher resolution in DMC4 SE. Weapons I've found are the same resolution, but all or most character textures are four times as high.

Veelk

Banned
Jesus, Nelo Angelo is giving me a whoopin. At this point, I must be at a lowered difficulty, and he's still wrecking my shit. No complaints though. It's all fair. One of the best bosses ever.

Edit: I've been banging away and Nelo Angelo for like half an hour, now I accidentally hit exit mission. Welp, that's it for one night I think. I'll kick his ass later.

Can someone tell me where I can find the best DMC4 mods that will work for DMC4SE? Or do we have to wait for them to make new ones?

Okay finally ready to start Vergil after maxing out Nero and Dante. I just messed around with him in the first two missions very basic first thoughts. He has a lot of moves at his disposal that mimic his DMC3 moves but at the same time expands upon them. Summoned swords are as ridiculous as always.
As of right now, im not liking the concentration mechanic. I don't like not being able to run around. I know Vergil doesn't need to with teleports and all that but it's kinda of off putting right now. I preform better when just trying to win and put moves together than trying to incorporate the mechanic into the mix.

Also using a summoned sword to teleport straight to the enemy is cool but I'm not used to it yet, going from one enemy to the next. DMC3 was just lock on and teleport. This seems like an extra step. Rapid Slash is cooler. Judgement cuts seem kinda weak and I liked the way they looked in DMC3 better and being able to do multiple ones.

Another big thing is that every attack is so fucking powerful. It is so easy to kill things when you do this much damage. Like Vergil can do Dante's equivalent of his DT Kick 13 move on his own for free. WTF. You don't even have to try to beat bosses. I just perfected Berial just by mashing Triangle and Circle in the air with yammato. I get the feeling all the new commoners are gonna be like this. I mean yea Dante was OP but you had to be good with him to get him to do this kind of damage so fast. I get the feeling everything is going to be so easy with Vergil and that makes me kinda sad.

Dahbomb

Judgment Cuts are more powerful in 4 when you consider the difference in start up/recovery times compared to 3 when you talk about the Perfect versions.

Seyavesh

Plus it was a complete opposite to how tedious it was to break his barrier as Lady.

????

what am i missing here, seems pretty simple to me

Can someone tell me where I can find the best DMC4 mods that will work for DMC4SE? Or do we have to wait for them to make new ones?
pretty sure you're gonna have to wait for remakes/reworks as the stuff is apparently pretty differently formatted atm due to being on a newer version of the MT framework engine

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh wow. You guys weren't kidding about Lady's shotgun. LMAO @ that level 3 charge. I can't seem to figure out how to make it "hold" charges for all three guns until I'm ready to use them though.

Oh wow. You guys weren't kidding about Lady's shotgun. LMAO @ that level 3 charge. I can't seem to figure out how to make it "hold" charges for all three guns until I'm ready to use them though.

? You can only charge whatever gun you're using at the moment. You can't even charge the Kalina-Ann unless you're stationary.

Veelk

Banned

Go to systems, and then controls. Remap the gun button to a bumper or trigger (I preferred RT and lockon to LT, since then you map it like a third person shooter). Put everything else whereever you feel comfortable. Now you can hold the gun charge without while being able to attack.

Edit: Oh, I misread that. Yeah, what Tyrant said.

pretty sure you're gonna have to wait for remakes/reworks as the stuff is apparently pretty differently formatted atm due to being on a newer version of the MT framework engine

Darn. I almost feel like I should have waited until the winter sale, since everything will be ready by then at a way cheaper price. Oh well.

Guys, seriously, my hand aches from 20 minutes trying to beat Nelo. Such an intense fight. I love it.

TheSeks

? You can only charge whatever gun you're using at the moment. You can't even charge the Kalina-Ann unless you're stationary.

Get the shotgun's charge shot to level 3 asap. Someone mentioned that one level 3 shotgun shot is about as powerful as a level 2 Kalina Ann charge shot, except you can fire about 10 shotgun shots on a single charge and move about while doing so. Even during the first showing I remember Itsuno saying that the Shotgun was her bread and butter iirc.

And always keep it charged, especially between battles so that you start fights with a fully loaded one. Lady is better at keeping her charge between areas than I remember Nero or Dante being and can actually carry her charges between floors in Bloody Palace.

Seyavesh

he means keep it as your primary weapon and then hold the charge into boss fights/fights so you can start off guns blazing as it keeps the charge between loading screens and shit

man if you could hold charges between the different guns, holy shit she'd be even more insane

TheSeks

he means keep it as your primary weapon and then hold the charge into boss fights/fights so you can start off guns blazing as it keeps the charge between loading screens and shit

Oh. Meh. I don't really need that. I just jump up in the air, rocket jump/double-jump and start to charge. Once I hit the ground, rocket-jump and blast them away with the Kaliana Ann or the Shotgun.

^You're thinking of Credo Angelo! Nelo Angelo is DMC1.
He means he goes into fights with his gun pre-charged.
Am i the only one who cant jump cancel for shit? I've beaten this game like 6 times since vanillas release and still can't.
Try remapping jump or attack to a shoulder button to make it more comfortable on your hands. I used to do that in 3SE and vanilla 4.

It's also easy to practice on certain enemies. On Angelos with Dante you can try launching with Rebellion then while in DS style just do aerial rave's first hit, enemy step cancel, and repeat. Should be VERY easy to do consistently. With Nero on most enemies you can do launcher, slash, excalibur (I think that's the name? Lock-on+ back, forward attack), enemy step cancel very easily to get the party going.

Don't really know any good enemy step combos for Trish. Vergil doesn't really need it cause teleport is so fast and helps realign yourself to jump off. Lady doesn't need them much but you can do level 3 shotgun, enemy step cancel over and over for big damage on beefy enemies and bosses.

Seyavesh

Don't really know any good enemy step combos for Trish.

this is part of what drives me nuts w trish, her air options are crazy limited so you don't get cool enemy step stuff- it's less juggle and more launch->lock in place for setup of big move

like, her dance macabre launcher is fucking nuts but then from there i'm at a loss for a really cool continuation

also have you tried to do reverse moves w/ trish? i can't seem to get them to come out... been trying to do reverse v-boomerang but it won't come out

this is part of what drives me nuts w trish, her air options are crazy limited so you don't get cool enemy step stuff- it's less juggle and more launch->lock in place for setup of big move

Yeah I know. Against most mobs and enemies I feel like I just do round trip, charge up damage moves, and repeat. Her launcher hits them at a weird height and it's hard to really doing anything cool beyond a basic air chain into divekick.

She was really cool at first but I'd rather play basically anyone else at this point.

Dinjoralo

Microtransactiony nonsense leaves a poor taste in my mouth, but everything's running fine for me.
Quick question, does anyone know what the (capped) shadows are on the PC version? I'll assume they're the worse looking options, since they come before the regular ones, but what's the difference?

????

what am i missing here, seems pretty simple to me
...and here I was trying to use the Kalina Ann to break down his shield when that was the simpler solution. Level 3 shotgun really is killer.

You learn something new every day.

Anyway, five more missions in Vergil's campaign to go. Chimera's are still assholes, but Blitzes took less time to deal with than it was with Trish. My Just Judgment cut timing has been improving lately as well, but only still on specific moves. The third hit in Aerial Rave Combo B is my most consistent one, and I've just about nailed the timing on both the first and second melee in Yamato Combo A/B. Still messing up the timing for the Rapid Slash though, which is the next move I want to get the right timing for now.

Man, I never quite realized until just recently how fucking fun Just Frame mechanics are. Gives the combat that unique rhythm you really don't get out of anything else.

Boy either this game was a lot tougher than I've remembered or I'm a lot more rusty than I thought. I got my ass smacked around by Angelos and Frosts... ANGELOS AND FROSTS 0_o?! Maybe I was trying to use the lock on more than I should? I should try to move around like in Rising lol.

(Eventually I learned to use Rapid slash and teleport to get around them but still that was embarrassing)

And what's with the grabbing platforming? I honestly don't recall it being this hard with Nero @_@ I couldn't get to the blue orb shard at the start of mission 3 in the mines.

P.S - Also, the upgrades like orbs and all that in the skill shop, do they carry over? Cause I sort of spent my chunk of my 300k red orbs on maxing out Vergil ^^;

BadWolf

Yeah I really liked her at first but now I'm not so sure. Fighting Blitz is a pain in the ass with her. I prefer Lady and Vergil for sure.

like, her dance macabre launcher is fucking nuts but then from there i'm at a loss for a really cool continuation

also have you tried to do reverse moves w/ trish? i can't seem to get them to come out... been trying to do reverse v-boomerang but it won't come out

Went to youtube and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-P-6BWoAvY

I guess we should just git gud.

Seyavesh

Went to youtube and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-P-6BWoAvY

I guess we should just git gud.

that footage is 100% emblematic of what i wrote, what are you seeing in there? she has one air string, one air forward move and the v-boomerang and no airdash/air mobility option that allows for interesting aerial movement stuff - at face value you can't get much out of her besides various combinations of air string, flippy kick, gunshots and the boomerang

Sometimes...the only way to quickly knock a Savior the fuck out is with a well placed Distortion Dragon Breaker.

At least...I THINK I got the timing right for the Distortion, did a shit ton of damage regardless. Whatever, got that piece of shit boss out of the way, two more missions and I'll call it a night.

Veelk

Banned
What does beating LDK unlock?

Son of Sparda and Bloody Palace. Which is a gyp if you ask me. You'd think a mode that is Son of Sparda on steroids would unlock more than it's nonroided self. It's so much more work for what DH would equally give you.

Vergil campaign complete. Fucking fantastic character. And I felt especially proud of myself near the end of the demon killing sequence in the credits when I pulled off a Judgment Cut End in the last three seconds. Shot froze right as everyone exploded and Vergil sheathed his sword, and killed 32 demons total. Felt so fucking badass.

This is seriously the ultimate version of this character, the only new major additions I could think of going forward would be new weapons that fit with Vergil's play style. I really can't get over how much of a blast it was, even with having to slog through the last half of the campaign again. Vergil's mobility and powers really do alleviate most of the issues I had fighting enemies back in the original version of the game.

Alright. With those campaigns done, I'm definitely not sure what to tackle next, aside from putting together some short combo videos for all three characters. Tackle SoS, LDK, or Bloody Palace, or try improving my grade in earlier chapters.

Top Bottom