• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Shauni

Yes, but her attack speed can make it difficult to time correctly. But yeah, it still works with Lady.

Is there anything you can do to adjust? Like should I hit right before the number comes up to be sure, because this is really starting to get on my nerves. I wish they would've just cut this whole dice game.

ezekial45

Banned
Is there anything you can do to adjust? Like should I hit right before the number comes up to be sure, because this is really starting to get on my nerves. I wish they would've just cut this whole dice game.

You just gotta attack a little earlier. When you're going for a specific number, remember what comes before it, and attack as its turning over. You should be able to hit it once its up.

Afrocious

My time in LDK has made Devil Hunter a cakewalk. SoS would be the perfect middle ground but NOPE, gotta unlock that.

Dammit Vergil, why are you so OP?

Can someone edit this with Bish on top of Dante and it flashing "BANNED" at the bottom?

DvVeByf.gif

Shauni

You just gotta attack a little earlier. When you're going for a specific number, remember what comes before it, and attack as its turning over. You should be able to hit it once its up.

So, I have to ask, are you 100% sure on this and not just assuming? Because I tried it this way, and it still doesn't seem to work

So, I have to ask, are you 100% sure on this and not just assuming? Because I tried it this way, and it still doesn't seem to work

I can confirm what Ezekial is saying as well. As long as your melee attack hits when your desired number is on the top then you should have no problem.

Shauni

I tried melee'ing a dice and it worked just fine. Are you hitting it with a bayonet attack?

I was hitting it with the wire attack, the B button thing, since that was the same as Nero's Buster. I tried shooting it as yeah. So, just the standard Y attack is what I need to use?

MegaPanda

I was hitting it with the wire attack, the B button thing, since that was the same as Nero's Buster. I tried shooting it as yeah. So, just the standard Y attack is what I need to use?
Yeah use the Y attack instead. It comes out slow so time it when the number you want is just about to appear

Shauni

Yeah, okay, standard melee worked. Hah, I guess that should've been obvious, but I've thought you had to buster the dice for that trick to actually work so I just used the buster substitute.

Nemmy

Completed my first Vergil run, on to Son of Sparda with them ladies.

Loving my time with the SE so far. This is the way you do a rerelease, everyone. A slight graphical upgrade here and there, a minor annoyance tweaked, and actual meaningful, BADASS new content added.

For the PC users, what controller are you using?

I'm using an old logitech pad and the button configs are hella screwed up (and I can't use the D-Pad and Analog at the same time, so Dante is sure going to be fun).

I'm rocking the WiiU Pro controller and it's sweet. I recently parted ways with my old-ass Logitech when the left analog started to get stuck; good riddance. It was such a pain in the ass to get it working with games these days.
Did you try x360ce? I *think* it helped me with DMC4 vanilla back in the day?

Speaking of DMC5, I can't help but get hyped at what Vergil says at his epilogue. I know he is most likely talking about DMC3's events but man every damn word seems like Itsuno teasing us fans about the next DMC and return of Vergil. Like,
soon (TGS) They shall know this devil's(Itsuno's) power. A power(game) greater than they ever imagined (in their wishlists). The power of a son of Sparda(DMC5 with Vergil baby!!!).
I found the epilogue really underwhelming tbh. Like, I know it's not exactly like Vergil had an actual story in his campaign but at least the opening was a badass fight scene. Ending it with
a couple lines foreshadowing a 10 year old game
was meh (and I'd love to be proven wrong but I think you might be reading too much into it :p).

Is there anything more unlocked if you kill enough demons in the credits? I skipped them accidentally.

Completed my first Vergil run, on to Son of Sparda with them ladies.

Loving my time with the SE so far. This is the way you do a rerelease, everyone. A slight graphical upgrade here and there, a minor annoyance tweaked, and actual meaningful, BADASS new content added.

I'm rocking the WiiU Pro controller and it's sweet. I recently parted ways with my old-ass Logitech when the left analog started to get stuck; good riddance. It was such a pain in the ass to get it working with games these days.
Did you try x360ce? I *think* it helped me with DMC4 vanilla back in the day?

I found the epilogue really underwhelming tbh. Like, I know it's not exactly like Vergil had an actual story in his campaign but at least the opening was a badass fight scene. Ending it with
was meh (and I'd love to be proven wrong but I think you might be reading too much into it :p).

Is there anything more unlocked if you kill enough demons in the credits? I skipped them accidentally.
If anything the lackluster epilogue point to DMC5 being in production, because they probably want to save the juicy Vergil is Nero's father drama/reveal for that. Can't wait to see the Nero v Vergil cutscene..

Amani

Finally got through my first playthrough w/ Vergil.
Holy shit Sanctus is a fucking pushover.

Tried out Lady in Bloody Palace and wow, she's fun as hell. Had the easiest fights with Blitzes and Biancos I've had in a long while. I do need to learn all of her Kalina Ann moves though, especially the multi-rocket one.

BadWolf

honestly, is there any reason to use anything other than the shotgun for Lady?

Found myself using all three weapons extensively in BP. The grappling hook is excellent as well and compliments the weapons nicely.

The shotgun is awesome but it requires you to be very close range to deal proper damage and Lady may not always want to be in that range.

Nemmy

Finally got through my first playthrough w/ Vergil.
Holy shit Sanctus is a fucking pushover.

Tried out Lady in Bloody Palace and wow, she's fun as hell. Had the easiest fights with Blitzes and Biancos I've had in a long while. I do need to learn all of her Kalina Ann moves though, especially the multi-rocket one.

With Vergil, everything is a fucking pushover

The only thing I dislike about playing as Lady is how sloooow her melee is. I know it's supposed to be this way but still. Is there any way to activate dials without meleeing them? I sent a lvl3 rocket into one but it didn't even care :(

Played some more (Nero/Devil Hunter) last night/this morning as my quest as a DMC4 beginner continues

Got past that stutter dude's "fight". Gonna really enjoy beating the shit out of him with a Buster due that transformed state and in general being a POS.

Starting to consistently IR in some more attack strings now (even that bash move and in the air attacks ) :D

Still no enemy step as yet.

Frosts continues to be a joke now

Those plant things are fucking annoying when they attach to someone

Plant/Dragon lady was ok, took me 2 tries before realizing whats up

When Nero isn't shouting about Kyrie (i get it man you love her) most of the time he can be swag as fuck.

These Secret missions are just annoying

Those new creatures in that cutscene looked threatening at first but they are almost like Frosts now (ie fucking jobbers to style on :p)

Got my first SS as Nero too so i'm still getting there

Man Fuck Credo, dude was just wiping the floor with me :/

Finally threw his spear back at him, felt like a boss

Finally got into it and killed him with an A Rank (which honestly i thought was gonna be way lower). Definitely looking forward to fighting him again in BP and higher difficulties :D.

Will continue the game this sometime later.

So some more progress is being made tbh *shrug*.

Yeah, trying to finish all the secret missions as Vergil didn't uh...didn't go as planned. A good few of them are just incompatible with him. Suppose that means it's time to go back to Nero and Dante.

After reading Gaf's impression on Vergil's epilogue my exceptions were at bare minimum so that probably helped me enjoy it more cause before I thought it was just Vergil walking without any dialogue.

I know :p but honestly with all these teases ("See you next DMC", Verendus stuff, Itsuno saying "it's a secret" and laughing , etc etc) I can't help but think that what Vergil is saying is more about what we will get in the future rather than what we got 10 years ago.

And about killing enemies in credits, I only killed +30 and it only gave me red Vergil. I don't know what happens if you kill more than that.

Dahbomb I've been thinking about a potential story that could happen in DMCV. I've seen a lot of people complain that Dante is too OP or whatever storywise but what if DMCV takes place in hell with Dante trying to shutdown some type of portal that's leaking demons into earth. Here's the catch Dante in hell is underpowered since he's not a full bred demon and demons have that extra juice since its on their home turf. Plus it gives the chance for characters like Nero, Lady, Trish to fight off the horde on earth while dante tries to do his thing. Finally Vergil has probably adjusted to Hell's handicap and he's even stronger (sort of like Goku training with gravity)

Nemmy

After reading Gaf's impression on Vergil's epilogue my exceptions were at bare minimum so that probably helped me enjoy it more cause before I thought it was just Vergil walking without any dialogue.

I know :p but honestly with all these teases ("See you next DMC", Verendus stuff, Itsuno saying "it's a secret" and laughing , etc etc) I can't help but think that what Vergil is saying is more about what we will get in the future rather than what we got 10 years ago.

And about killing enemies in credits, I only killed +30 and it only gave me red Vergil. I don't know what happens if you kill more than that.

Well I read no impressions and went in completely blind (or as blind as you can be when you're playing the game for the nth time). So the epilogue was pretty disappointing. But I'll like it much more if it does turn out to be a tease!

So that's how you get red Vergil! I killed like 20 enemies, still had a lot of time left, wanted to pause and skipped the rest of the credits. Daaamn.

I want to see a comic of Vergil
looking through all of the Orders demon summoning and inhuman experiments, ending it with a simple "nah, they're not misguided at all. They good people."

What suggestions do you guys have for alternate methods of weapon switching but still having access to the three weapons?

Was thinking about it yesterday and:

1. Let the characters other than Dante (if he retains his styles) put their weapon switch on the d-pad.
and/or
2. Allow a classic style MGS weapon/item switch, tap to cycle through or hold to temporarily pause (or slow down, like in God Hand when you choose a God Reel) the action on screen and then choose your weapon.

Oddly enough, when I was playing Bayonetta (especially the Lost Chapter) and went back to DMC3 I kind of found myself missing the triple weapon switch from DMC4.
The temporary pause option is one I'm least fond of, considering Ninja Gaiden II already does it and I'd like that series to implement proper real time weapon switch at some point.

Only method of weapon switching I can think of is how it applies to Dante, as I feel like Vergil's and Lady's two way cycling of weapons is ideal, and Nero could use that extra button for a weapon set swap down the line. Personally I wouldn't mind just going back to the way DMC3 did it but let you change your equipped weapons at any point in a level rather than before. Or let people customize how many weapons they want equipped at once so DMC4 vets can still have three or more if they're crazy. I'd still like Dante to retain style switching, but maybe modifying what those styles are would be another topic of discussion.

Speaking of which, hey Sectus, would it be possible for you to add an option to your trainer that lets you limit what weapons you want to cycle through as Dante?

Shauni

In general, how do you guys tackle bosses as Lady? I can't, for the life of me, seem to get much going on with her in that regard. Just finished the she-viper one, and I had to use three vital stars and a gold orb right at the very end, which I hate to do. I am playing on Dark Knight, so I know they're harder, but still, I feel like I shouldn't be having such a hard time with it. I get that you need to stay ahead, but it seems like her damage just clips away too slow to be all that effective against any of them.

Nemmy

In general, how do you guys tackle bosses as Lady? I can't, for the life of me, seem to get much going on with her in that regard. Just finished the she-viper one, and I had to use three vital stars and a gold orb right at the very end, which I hate to do. I am playing on Dark Knight, so I know they're harder, but still, I feel like I shouldn't be having such a hard time with it. I get that you need to stay ahead, but it seems like her damage just clips away too slow to be all that effective against any of them.

I killed Berial on SoS by just staying away and spamming lvl2 Kalina Ann shots and the grenade special. It wasn't exactly stylish, but got the job done and I didn't even get hit all that much.
Then the frog wrecked me completely. I always hated the bloody frog.

Dahbomb

Allow a classic style MGS weapon/item switch, tap to cycle through or hold to temporarily pause (or slow down, like in God Hand when you choose a God Reel) the action on screen and then choose your weapon.
That's never going to happen with Itsuno in charge. It will also make combo videos look clunky and lack the swag flow with people having to freeze the screen to swap weapons so often.

Dahbomb I've been thinking about a potential story that could happen in DMCV. I've seen a lot of people complain that Dante is too OP or whatever storywise but what if DMCV takes place in hell with Dante trying to shutdown some type of portal that's leaking demons into earth. Here's the catch Dante in hell is underpowered since he's not a full bred demon and demons have that extra juice since its on their home turf. Plus it gives the chance for characters like Nero, Lady, Trish to fight off the horde on earth while dante tries to do his thing. Finally Vergil has probably adjusted to Hell's handicap and he's even stronger (sort of like Goku training with gravity)
Maybe but then you would have to have the entire game in Hell (or most of it). Otherwise it would be weird to go from OP Dante to nerfed Dante mid game. Maybe have one mission with Dante on earth and then when he goes to hell he "loses" his upgrades and has to get them back (if they want to explain why Dante starts nerfed in DMC5).

There's like a million ways to "nerf" Dante's power though.

I killed Berial on SoS by just staying away and spamming lvl2 Kalina Ann shots and the grenade special. It wasn't exactly stylish, but got the job done and I didn't even get hit all that much.
Then the frog wrecked me completely. I always hated the bloody frog.

You can hit the frog with a level 3 Kalia Ann when jumps back and fog up the place, easily taking out 1/3 to a 1/2 of his health.

BadWolf

A very safe way to fight her with Lady is to just use Charge 3 with the handguns, it does great damage and has excellent auto-aim (so no need for lock-on) and doesn't take long to charge. Works from really long range too.

The DT explosion does solid damage on her as well and when she does that move where she kind of stands like a tent and poops out those little guys, you can charge the rocket launcher for a nice chunk of damage.

Voror

Been playing with Vergil a lot on LDK Mission 2 just getting as much Souls and Red Orbs as I can to take care of everything. Haven't been able to beat Berial when I've gotten to him. Just super rusty and trying to get a hang on all the moves.

Charge up shotgun then do enemy step shot loops till the charge runs out. Fireworks is good against Sanctus if he's by a wall.

If they're far away, fire rockets. If there's a big opening: charge rockets.

Charge shots with handguns are pretty decent too but the other weapons are better against bosses.

TreIII

Maybe but then you would have to have the entire game in Hell (or most of it). Otherwise it would be weird to go from OP Dante to nerfed Dante mid game. Maybe have one mission with Dante on earth and then when he goes to hell he "loses" his upgrades and has to get them back (if they want to explain why Dante starts nerfed in DMC5).

There's like a million ways to "nerf" Dante's power though.

I still think that it would be weird to "nerf" Dante, after DMC4 (and yes, DMC2) seemed to prop Dante as having a power that directly contests or even surpasses Sparda's own. The other option would just be to give Dante better opposition and more poignant circumstances, such as his friends/family actually being in legit peril, so that he's got reason to be much more serious. And no, Angelo/Vergil shouldn't be the driver of Dante's role in the plot again (though I could definitely see a Dante/Angelo team up in Hell making for an awesome moment).

The thing that I liked about Nero's introduction is that it circumvented the need to have Dante be weakened for the sake of story/gameplay segregation. And now that we actually have a roster of legit playable supporting cast mates, I don't think there's much need to depower Dante for the sake of gameplay, when we can just use these guys instead serving as the "depowered" options. If anything, I'd be more in favor of taking like a starting chapter with Dante, then 1-4 "tutorial" chapters where you could play as Nero/Trish/Lady/Lucia as they try to track down Dante (and unlock their own weapons/skills while doing so). Then by the time you meet up with him, you're reunited with a Dante who hasn't skipped a beat and is a fully realized, playable option with the other characters for the rest of the game (with Vergil/Angelo unlocked later on).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dante being OP story wise can easily be remedied by the resurrection of some old god shit. Make a charismatic and intriguing elder demon lord that once made Mundus his bitch. Problem solved.

I kept hearing that changing the button to shoot/charge was recommended for Nero

what the best place to change it to?

R2/RT is a button assigned to nothing for him, so that's what I do. Easy to hold and release whenever. This way I can use my left index finger for revving and DT quickly and my right thumb is free to do everything else.

Sephzilla

Dante being OP story wise can easily be remedied by the resurrection of some old god shit. Make a charismatic and intriguing elder demon lord that once made Mundus his bitch. Problem solved.

Yep, don't nerf Dante - just buff his opponents.

This is one situation where I'd be okay with some DBZ-like power level escallation

Top Bottom