• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Dahbomb I've been thinking about a potential story that could happen in DMCV. I've seen a lot of people complain that Dante is too OP or whatever storywise but what if DMCV takes place in hell with Dante trying to shutdown some type of portal that's leaking demons into earth. Here's the catch Dante in hell is underpowered since he's not a full bred demon and demons have that extra juice since its on their home turf. Plus it gives the chance for characters like Nero, Lady, Trish to fight off the horde on earth while dante tries to do his thing. Finally Vergil has probably adjusted to Hell's handicap and he's even stronger (sort of like Goku training with gravity)

I think DMC isn't really likely to concentrate on boring 'power level' stuff, at least I hope not. I honestly think they can get away with simply "here's a new threat" instead of needing to come up with a bunch of hoo-ha about how this challenge definitely surpasses any of the other ones (because who cares, Uncle Dante clearly considers DMC4's enemies a walk in the park and it's still a fun game).

I'd rather have them resolve the rest of the Sparda family drama in DMC5 with another Vergil/Dante-centric story that is able to finally explain Vergil coming back post-DMC1.

Dahbomb

You guys do realize that with the nature of how DMC games are... Dante is going to start nerfed at the start right?

As in he won't have all of his gear/abilities/moveset at the start. So in a way he will be starting nerfed.

I think best way to do it is to just have stronger threats. I don't think Capcom is going to put out DMC5 without having Dante at least starting out.

You guys do realize that with the nature of how DMC games are... Dante is going to start nerfed at the start right?

As in he won't have all of his gear/abilities/moveset at the start. So in a way he will be starting nerfed.

I think best way to do it is to just have stronger threats.

Kinda. I think 'ludonarrative dissonance' is a vastly overstated problem on GAF.

It's okay to nerf him at the start because 'this is a series that contains lite RPG elements,' not because of story reasons. Plenty of other games do that and they're fine.

I'm not saying increased threats would be an inherently bad thing, just that escalation for escalation's sake leads to scraping the bottom of the (narrative) barrel really fast.

Game design absolutely needs to dictate priorities to DMC, not story concerns.

Dahbomb

We haven't actually had a good escalation lately.

Only Dante has escalated, his opponents have pretty much stayed the same since DMC3 in terms of power level. Only Nelo Angelo and Mundus were threats that were above stuff seen in DMC3.

It's pretty bad to have your protagonist escalate but your antagonists don't. Removes any tension/threat or any sense of rivalry. It's like having a bunch of Superman stories where you are fighting against a bunch of Batman level street thugs.

Only Dante has escalated, his opponents have pretty much stayed the same since DMC3 in terms of power level. Only Nelo Angelo and Mundus were threats that were above stuff seen in DMC3.

It's pretty bad to have your protagonist escalate but your antagonists don't. Removes any tension/threat or any sense of rivalry. It's like having a bunch of Superman stories where you are fighting against a bunch of Batman level street thugs.

I think explicitly demonstrating "this is something that surpasses Mundus" isn't a good idea for the narrative, but it's definitely true that they need to justify new threats somehow not having been detected before (which means alternate dimensions/time travel/whatever).

I think the best decision that'll actually justify some new game design decisions for DMC5 would be "this is a threat Dante can't handle on his own and he needs his full team to work together to make it happen." Makes it clear that it's a bigger deal without any sort of explicit conversation about how this is certainly a bigger threat than before or whatever (because that's better off being shown, not told, to the player).

Dahbomb

I think the best decision that'll actually justify some new game design decisions for DMC5 would be "this is a threat Dante can't handle on his own and he needs his full team to work together to make it happen."
That pretty much implies that the threat is stronger than Mundus.

Only way they can come up with a threat weaker than Mundus but still pose a threat to Dante is if they come up with some sort of demon kryptonite (ie some gimmick that only Dante/Vergil/Nero are weak to) which would be EVEN lamer.

Only way they can come up with a threat weaker than Mundus but still pose a threat to Dante is if they come up with some sort of demon kryptonite (ie some gimmick that only Dante/Vergil/Nero are weak to) which would be EVEN lamer.

Yeah. I'm totally cool with that being *implied*. I just think lines that are explicitly state something like "this is definitely the biggest threat I've faced" are really, really clumsy writing.

And yeah, agreed that story-justified nerfing like a kryptonite equivalent would be HORRIBLE.

I just hope that if there is a teaser trailer for DMC5 at TGS, it's not like just 30 seconds. After how long most of us have waited for this, I think we deserve at least a 1:00+ trailer, because DMC5 probably won't come out until 2017 at the earliest...

And we still don't know why Sparda was so powerful that he could whoop the Demon King's ass... Is there some other relatives of Sparda we don't know of?

Dahbomb

Oh you definitely don't have to state it, just imply it.

I just hope that if there is a teaser trailer for DMC5 at TGS, it's not like just 30 seconds. After how long most of us have waited for this, I think we deserve at least a 1:00+ trailer, because DMC5 probably won't come out until 2017 at the earliest...
Son at this point I will just take a god damn confirmation + title screen...

"Oh God, Anchovies on my pizza! MY ONLY WEAKNESS!!!!"

And we still don't know why Sparda was so powerful that he could whoop the Demon King's ass... Is there some other relatives of Sparda we don't know of?

Slap a Devil May Cry 5 screensaver on the screen with a 20 second CGI trailer for all I care! JUST CONFIRM THAT SHIT!

Sparda doesn't really need a reason why he was strong enough to beat Mundus.

Dahbomb

I think in DMC5 it would be cool to see Dante tap into his Desperate Devil Trigger to deal with a powerful threat. He has that in DMC2 so it would only make sense.

They can add new mechanics to Desperation Devil Trigger that aren't tied to it being a comeback mechanic. Like it could be a double edge sword at the start in DMC5 and in DMC2 Dante could've perfected it and only reserves it for when he is low on health (ie. this isn't even my final form type shit).

I think in DMC5 it would be cool to see Dante tap into his Desperate Devil Trigger to deal with a powerful threat. He has that in DMC2 so it would only make sense.

They can add new mechanics to Desperation Devil Trigger that aren't tied to it being a comeback mechanic. Like it could be a double edge sword at the start in DMC5 and in DMC2 Dante could've perfected it and only reserves it for when he is low on health (ie. this isn't even my final form type shit).

That'd be cool, yeah.

I mean, I don't really want mechanics that require taking damage to tap into (because you should never ever take damage), but it'd be a big big step toward getting the series truly beyond the elephant in the room that is DMC2, and I agree that it'd be cool to see DDT come out for the first time just like DMC3 showed us the very first DT and built it into the story.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Benched this today. R9 270x, 4 gb ram, core i3 4130. Getting about 100- 120 fps average. Was 120 locked on the vanilla version. Great stuff though.

Son Of D

Son at this point I will just take a god damn confirmation + title screen...

Seriously...

They could just show the DMC5 equivalent of this and there'd be hype from DMC GAF:

large.jpg

Seriously...

They could just show the DMC5 equivalent of this and there'd be hype from DMC GAF:
I mean I agree people will get hyped, but then after "what is happening with DMC5 where's the news!". Capcom has really been slowly dripping out news on SF5 and I fear they will do that with DMC5 too. I remember the long wait for any news on DMC4:SE was pretty grueling.. Though part of that was I think because they didn't have as much new content added to DMC4 that people thought they would have (like new Vergil campaign, must style mode, etc).

BadWolf

I mean I agree people will get hyped, but then after "what is happening with DMC5 where's the news!". Capcom has really been slowly dripping out news on SF5 and I fear they will do that with DMC5 too. I remember the long wait for any news on DMC4:SE was pretty grueling.. Though part of that was I think because they didn't have as much new content added to DMC4 that people thought they would have (like new Vergil campaign, must style mode, etc).

SF5 is a fighting game and they are very intelligently both hyping, developing and public testing the game at the same time.

DMC4SE had to wait for DmCDE to release and have some time to sell.

So yeah, doesn't mean they will do the same with DMC5.

ShinMaruku

I think best way to do it is to just have stronger threats. I don't think Capcom is going to put out DMC5 without having Dante at least starting out.
Just take the MGR route. Make his godlikeness be behind a skill wall.

SF5 is a fighting game and they are very intelligently both hyping, developing and public testing the game at the same time.

DMC4SE had to wait for DmCDE to release and have some time to sell.

So yeah, doesn't mean they will do the same with DMC5.
Game releases early next year and we have only 6 characters revealed. I think we had way more info about SF4 characters by now.. But I guess we'll see.

And reading about how the next Hitman game will be released in parts, would people be ok with DMC5 bloody palace being released ahead of the DMC5 main game? Would be a way for Capcom to gain money to finish the campaign..

Dahbomb

And reading about how the next Hitman game will be released in parts, would people be ok with DMC5 bloody palace being released ahead of the DMC5 main game? Would be a way for Capcom to gain money to finish the campaign..
You mean like RE Revelations 2?

I don't know how I feel about.

Klossen

Banned
Benched this today. R9 270x, 4 gb ram, core i3 4130. Getting about 100- 120 fps average. Was 120 locked on the vanilla version. Great stuff though.

Read the Steam forums for suggestions how to disable DoF and Motion blur, which then makes the game look better and also run better. Should be able to reach 120 locked then.

I hope there's a patch coming that allows us to remove graphical effects.

"Farm Balrog on LDK for easy Proud Souls"

hhehehehehhehehehehehhe i've been trying to kill him for two hours straight. He's pretty easy now until those fucking fire pillars. I just can't manage all that shit. And his damn nuke is more bullshit than I remember too. Playing as Nero.

Veelk

Banned

Moses, back from IGN, had a pretty solid foundation for upping the ante post DMC1. A Vergil game where, upon being freed from Mundus control, he journeys into hell to kill him while he's weakened from his battle with Dante. When he does, the power of Hell flows into him, and he becomes to new Ruler of the Underworld. With the power of hell bolstering his power as the son of Sparda, he could easily be a bigger threat than Mundus. Meanwhile, remake DMC2, except go beyond where that game ended and have him journey into Hell where demons are much stronger.

For me, the problem with DMC stories is that in terms of plot, they're all the same except for 1. The motivation for all villains have been "Step 1: Gain power of Sparda. Step 2: Profit" They did it well with Arkham, but not with Arius or Sanctus. The simplest solution seems to me to be don't make the power of Sparda the end all be all. There have got to be other significant demons out there besides Sparda and Mundus, other human agents that are significant, so explore that.

Voror

I wonder if they're ever going to directly address DMC2 or if we'll just continue having games just before it. Might as well just retcon it to some degree at this point.

Dahbomb

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/de...32/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

BTW a lot of interesting tidbits in this Itsuno interview. If you read between the lines you can sort of guess what might end up making it into DMC5.

*Itsuno says that he has been asked about co-op a lot and he certainly has tinkered with it in the past. This tells me that there might be a possibility of some form of co-op in DMC5.

*Itsuno says that he wants to retain the high level play of DMC but make it easier for people to get to that level. That pretty much tells me that there are going to be more Vergil-esque type designed characters in DMC5. I know a few people who have gotten into DMC4 first time with DMC4SE and they are having a blast playing as Vergil because they feel it's easier to do stuff similar to what they see in the combo videos.

*Says that if DmC was a smash worldwide hit it would've probably replaced DMC series proper. He also basically implied that if it failed completely there wouldn't have been a DmC DE. So he's happy that DmC ended up being somewhere in the middle.

*Itsuno is a huge fan of Lady and even considered a Lady spin off game after DMC3. That pretty much tells me that Lady is probably coming back for DMC5.

Anybody would like a Devil May Cry spin-off where you play as Dante during the SMT:Nocturne events until he joins Demi-Fiend?

BTW gameplay would be like classic series DMC with maybe some twists to fit SMT gameplay

Dahbomb

Anybody would like a Devil May Cry spin-off where you play as Dante during the SMT:Nocturne events until he joins Demi-Fiend?

BTW gameplay would be like classic series DMC with maybe some twists to fit SMT gameplay
I would welcome all forms of DMC games (as long as they are in the stylish action genre).

But right now DMC5 is the top priority. Bigger than a DmC2, bigger than a Vergil or Lady side game, bigger than a Sparda prequel. Capcom needs a slam dunk mainline DMC game badly.

Veelk

Banned
That just sounds like another way to bring back Vergil... which everyone wants anyway except for that Akainu guy.

He also doesn't like MGR:R. He's weird.

Each Dante we get is a different one. DMC1 he's cocksure, but he doesn't go out of his way to clown around. DMC3 dante does go out of his way to clown around as part of his rebellious nature. DMC4 Dante acts much like DMC3, but he comes off as less angry and bitter and more "I'm gonna troll the fuck out of this city" because this Sanctus BS isn't a threat to him. DMC2 Dante is the only one that's inexplicable, but otherwise I like that we get a new view of his character in each game because it feels like a natural progression when you consider how his character develops. We see him in his teenager phase, we see him grow up and out of that while still keeping his smartass personality, and we see him as an adult when he's essentially on vacation and can relax. It makes for a dynamic character, which keeps him interesting.

The same way that adult dante should not be the clown he was as a teenager in a serious situation, Vergil shouldn't be the adolescent "I NEED MAOR POWAR!" child he was in 3 while still being true to his character. His experiences with Mundus should change him, as well as gaining the power of hell, which would put him out of Dante's league forever unless Dante took up the power of Sparda again. It wouldn't be the same dynamic between the two anymore, so, yes he'd be back, but he wouldn't be the same vergil we had before.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Everything was easy mode with Vergil until they asked me to do some platforming. Non-double jumping son of a bitch...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/de...32/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

*Says that if DmC was a smash worldwide hit it would've probably replaced DMC series proper. He also basically implied that if it failed completely there wouldn't have been a DmC DE. So he's happy that DmC ended up being somewhere in the middle.

I wonder if people will stop pretending the plan all along was to have DmC and DMC alternate releases. lol

BadWolf

Lots of love for Lady from Itsuno.

Now that Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition is complete, do you have a favorite character that stands out for you of the five that are in the game?

I would probably say Lady. It's a real discovery I made myself when we created her. To put a long range character into DMC and to take on the challenge of making that work was clearly something very different from what we've done before. We worked really hard on her and I'm really pleased with the way she came out. The fact that something that is something totally new to existing players is really fun.

Is Lady a character that you think that is strong enough to support her own game, maybe, in some stage?

Yeah, as a matter of fact we considered that after making Devil May Cry 3. We thought we could have a Lady spin-off. It never happened, but she's definitely cool enough and strong enough character.

Shauni

I was talking about how much trouble I've had with the bosses with Lady, but woah, she just outright motherfucking breaks Credo and Angus. Credo gave me a bit of trouble when he went on his psycho blitz when he gets down to three or so bars, but Angus I just destoryed outright, even managed to get that silly cheevo for beating him with a SSS rank within like 2 minutes.

To add to the discussion about Dante being canonically OP, I thought I read somewhere years ago that the reason Nero exists was that Dante would be too OP to start out. Unless I misread that.

Remake DMC2, reintroduce Lucia, use Argosax as the previous demon king that Mundus was able to slay in a weakened state along with Sparda at his side. I don't know if they should keep the WONDERFUL VILLIAN known as Arius or the FANTASTIC SUPPORT CHARACTER known as Matier, but you could do some cool stuff with DMC2 lore done right. Show some more of Lucia and Matier's demon hunting clan. Elaborate on Bolverk's story. Have Phantom and Griffin there properly with dialog, etc. Argosax at full power should be a good foe for Dante. He would need Lady, Trish and Nero's help on this one, along with Lucia. They would need to redesign Argo's form 1 though, a blob is boring. Form 2, The Despair Embodied, was a great fight though.

Voror

I've been trying to figure out this Beowulf move I seem to pull off after using Lunar Phase, but I can't figure out what the inputs are to trigger it. It follows after LP where I do a sort of aerial move. I can't find a listing for it in move list so I'm not sure how I'm doing it.

ShinMaruku

It should be the ultimate majin form from the artbook.
Perfect_Devil_Trigger.jpg

Dahbomb

Sounds like Dante needs his demonic equivalent of Lex Luthor.
I thought of this and it would be pretty cool to have a pure human demon hunter who uses sorcery or other abilities (like Lady only instead of technology he uses ancient magic and other traditional tools like Geralt from Witcher). Sort of like a holy Paladin knight. Maybe there's a cult that has been passed on for generations and operates as a right nut demon hunting clan and sees Dante as a threat.

The hunter would use stuff like holy water imbued weaponry and other tools to make himself stronger/faster to keep up with Dante.

I've been trying to figure out this Beowulf move I seem to pull off after using Lunar Phase, but I can't figure out what the inputs are to trigger it. It follows after LP where I do a sort of aerial move. I can't find a listing for it in move list so I'm not sure how I'm doing it.
Is it in Devil Trigger? You do Rising Sun after Lunar Phase in DT automatically.

Hypron

QFT.
After all these years Vergil teaming up with Dante to finish off Arkham is still awesome as fuck. I want more of this shit.

Yep. Although, they'd still need to fight at some point in the story because seeing a next gen version of Dante vs Vergil would be awesome. But yeah, we need a new main villain.

Frantic

After dying continuously at level 30 with Vergil, I managed to beat BP. Cheesed the hell out of Dante to try to get a no damage run, and almost did it... but I got Royal Released because I was trying to cheese too hard. Oh well.

Yes, absolutely.

Top Bottom