• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Corpsepyre

Banned
Read the Steam forums for suggestions how to disable DoF and Motion blur, which then makes the game look better and also run better. Should be able to reach 120 locked then.

I hope there's a patch coming that allows us to remove graphical effects.

We should have been allowed to disable those from the graphic menu. Oh well, going to look into this. Game DID feel a little washed out to me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
From the Gamespot Interview:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/de...32/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Speaking of Ninja Theory and DMC: Devil May Cry, at the time you had said that part of the reason you went with them was that you wanted a different sensibility around the franchise. What were your overall thoughts on the final product and the game?

I think I'm happy with the performance of the game. If it had been a world changing hit, it might have changed the course of the series by becoming the new DMC. But at the same time, if it was a lot less successful than it was, it might have just been a flash in the pan failure that never got followed through with the definitive edition this year. In a way, I'm actually really pleased of where we were able to hit between those two separate extremes.

This solidifies in my mind that there was a real goddamn threat that DmC would replace DMC going forward. And we were justified in every way to fight tooth and nail to ensure that didn't happen.

Dahbomb

From the Gamespot Interview:

This solidifies in my mind that there was a real goddamn threat that DmC would replace DMC going forward. And we were justified in every way to fight tooth and nail to ensure that didn't happen.
Yeah already posted this on the previous page.

Mizerman

I thought that was kinda obvious from the get go. That if DmC was a big success, Capcom would see no reason to continue the classic series.

Glad that bullet was dodged.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah already posted this on the previous page.

I quoted the whole thing because this shit is no joke, and quite possibly the most important takeaway from the interview. It confirmed the actual thought process behind Capcom's intentions with DmC. The classic series was really on the proverbial chopping block. That's a big deal, and people wonder why we were so defensive.

I thought that was kinda obvious from the get go. That if DmC was a big success, Capcom would see no reason to continue the classic series.

Glad that bullet was dodged.

We all assumed as much, but in every thread you had people calling out DMC fans for being unjustified in defending the series against the risk that was DmC. Capcom was non-committal during the reveal process for DmC as to what it actually was. It was a reboot, it was a prequel, then it was a retelling, then it was a spin-off.

Dahbomb

Moves like Shuffle and Calibur can be a bit of a mix up with the toggle for some. That's perhaps why they never put it in.
Nah those moves wouldn't be impacted by a toggle.

The main moves I can think of that are impacted by having a toggle are Snatch/Buster. Those are the moves that function differently if you are in locked on vs not locked on. This means that doing something as simple as Snatch into Buster would be non intuitive as you would have disengage the lock on toggle mid Snatch so that the Buster lands while the enemy is brought in.

It's still usable with a toggle but it becomes clunky because you would have to keep toggling lock on off and on. That said the option should still be there for a toggle.

Mizerman

We all assumed as much, but in every thread you had people calling out DMC fans for being unjustified in defending the series against the risk that was DmC. Capcom was non-committal. It was a reboot, it was a prequel, then it was a retelling, then it was a spin-off.

Oh, I know of the insanity that happened before and after DmC came out. Before I came to Neogaf, I was on Gamefaqs and it was a train-wreck the whole time. That fans of the classic series were being viewed as "unreasonably defiant" and "hated change." It was ridiculous. As if I was obligated to accept any form of game just because.

Oh, I know of the insanity that happened before and after DmC came out. Before I came to Neogaf, I was on Gamefaqs and it was a train-wreck the whole time. That fans of the classic series were being viewed as "unreasonably defiant" and "hated change." It was ridiculous. As if I was obligated to accept any form of game just because.

Fan treatment during DmC release was an abomination, from everyone - NT, capcom and the game press. Even worse to know that they were trying to make us spend money to replace the original series.

Dahbomb

I don't really care if the DMC series is rebooted, the issue with DmC was that it just wasn't good enough of a reboot or even a necessary one.

So the main issue with DmC was the actual quality.. not that it was replacing DMC altogether. DMC3 is essentially a reboot for the franchise anyway.

If Itsuno announced after DMC5 that he's going to reboot the series by making the reboot starting off with a pseudo DMC3 remake... you know everyone in here would be all over that.

KingBroly

Banned
Fan treatment during DmC release was an abomination, from everyone - NT, capcom and the game press. Even worse to know that they were trying to make us spend money to replace the original series.

I think the Press gave DmC pretty good scores, but I doubt those people had realized where the series had evolved to with DMC3 and 4.

I think the Press gave DmC pretty good scores, but I doubt those people had realized where the series had evolved to with DMC3 and 4.

It wasn't even scores either. I'm mobile so i can't easily find them, but there were articles blaming original DMC fans for the failure of DmC. It was full blown insanity. It went from "vote with your wallet!" to "I can't believe you voted with your wallet!"

I'm knee deep in the witcher right now, but DMC4SE will be mine once that's done. It's damn good to know the og series will be back.

the "DMC is outdated and a dead series and fans are just clinging to the past" narrative was bonkers. Even capcom was in on it. The amount of people that had to get set straight on DMC4's sales...ugh.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't really care if the DMC series is rebooted, the issue with DmC was that it just wasn't good enough of a reboot or even a necessary one.

So the main issue with DmC was the actual quality.. not that it was replacing DMC altogether. DMC3 is essentially a reboot for the franchise anyway.

If Itsuno announced after DMC5 that he's going to reboot the series by making the reboot starting off with a pseudo DMC3 remake... you know everyone in here would be all over that.

It's not about the fact that it was intended to be a reboot. It's about the design direction of the game, art, and the characters. We'll just have to agree to disagree because my issue with DmC has always been two-fold. My main gripe was the overall quality of the combat, but I also had significant reservations about the tone and characterization.

It wasn't even scores either. I'm mobile so i can't easily find them, but there were articles blaming original DMC fans for the failure of DmC. It was full blown insanity. It went from "vote with your wallet!" to "I can't believe you voted with your wallet!"

I'm knee deep in the witcher right now, but DMC4SE will be mine once that's done. It's damn good to know the og series will be back.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capcom-almost-halves-dmc-sales-expectations/0110372

It's not about the fact that it was intended to be a reboot. It's about the design direction of the game, art, and the characters. We'll just have to agree to disagree because my issue with DmC has always been two-fold. My main gripe was the overall quality of the combat, but I also had significant reservations about the tone and characterization.
Same here, the art design and character design I could never get behind. All the weapons designs from their look to their animations were bad, and all the enemies looked pretty bad.

Dahbomb

Exactly on the bolded. I include that in the quality as well. Like the designs just weren't that good, neither was the tone and the writing wasn't good enough to justify the reboot.

In the end the best thing about DmC was, ironically, the combat and game play. The level design visually is cool but these two factors aren't enough to justify rebooting the series with so many radical changes (and changes that weren't all that good).

If you are going to radically change something then you better provide something that is superior to the original to justify the changes.

Yeah even if DmC turned out MUCH better than anyone predicted, it just doesn't replace the classic series for me. I don't even want to imagine what the game would have been like without Itsuno's involvement either. I played a build at Comic Con before it came out and the game did not feature enemy step cancelling and the Devil Trigger used to last so much longer than the final game.

Devil May Cry 3 and 4 are not perfect games, and have their fair share of annoyances, but there's nothing like them out there. The announcement of DMC4SE is one of the best things to come out of this gen for me alongside the continued success of PlatinumGames. It's a great time to be a fan of stylish combat for sure.

And much love to DMCGAF. Dahbomb, GuardianE, gunbo, etc.-- you guys all rock.

the "DMC is outdated and a dead series and fans are just clinging to the past" narrative was bonkers. Even capcom was in on it. The amount of people that had to get set straight on DMC4's sales...ugh.

That really was bad, like Capcom was trying to rewrite how their own franchise was perceived. Thought I was in bizarro world for years

"Yet the fans revolted because Capcom dared to reinvent its IP for the 21st century and dared to change the colour of Dante’s hair. It’s really very sad."

Oh good, so it was real. People drank that kook aid right up too.

Zocano

I wish the side dodging wasn't character relative. Just find it frustrating to try and execute in the middle of combat and I'm never a fan of character specific inputs rather than static ones. I know it would be messy to have both a different dodge and have the character specific back and/or forward prompts. I just hate that I get the back or forward jump which has like no invincibility frames versus the dash.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Exactly on the bolded. I include that in the quality as well. Like the designs just weren't that good, neither was the tone and the writing wasn't good enough to justify the reboot.

In the end the best thing about DmC was, ironically, the combat and game play. The level design visually is cool but these two factors aren't enough to justify rebooting the series with so many radical changes (and changes that weren't all that good).

If you are going to radically change something then you better provide something that is superior to the original to justify the changes.

Gotcha. The notion that DMC fans are adverse to change in general is just a lie propagated by game critics. Change isn't a scary thing as long as it's justified and leads to something better.

I wish the side dodging wasn't character relative. Just find it frustrating to try and execute in the middle of combat and I'm never a fan of character specific inputs rather than static ones. I know it would be messy to have both a different dodge and have the character specific back and/or forward prompts. I just hate that I get the back or forward jump which has like no invincibility frames versus the dash.

Honestly, I'd suggest getting used to using the jump's i-frames as the dodge unless you're trying to do Table Hopper or a character specific maneuver.

Mizerman

I don't mind reboots, as long as the quality is good enough for me to spend money on it. I just don't like it when people bring up reboots and then say "oh, you should be thankful for this change, blah blah blah, etc. I mean, don't give me the narrative that this was done out of the kindness of there hearts.

Umm...this wasn't directed at you, of course.

This.

To think that was the same person (I think) who wrote the whole "vote with your wallet" thing and got mad when people...did exactly that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm a relative newcomer to the series, didn't play any of them until the HD collection on PS3, and I like both DMC and DmC, particularly after the DE improvements. As long as at least one of them continues, I'll be happy.

Shauni

I honestly thought the setting and story in DmC was pretty good. I mean, honestly, and I'm sure this probably not going to be popular to say here, but DMC's storyline is mostly gibberish to me. Like, I have absolutely no idea what is happening in DMC4, I could skip all of the cutscenes and the experience would be the same outside a few cool Dante moments. I liked the whole dual world of DmC, there was a lot of potential there.

I do agree the designs were weaker overall, though.

Voror

What was the explanation on the reason for a reboot anyway? Wasn't DMC4 the best selling game in the series?

Are there any good tutorial videos for Vergil yet? Still trying to work out his moves and whatnot.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What was the explanation on the reason for a reboot anyway? Wasn't DMC4 the best selling game in the series?

-More frequent rotation schedule of titles; Itsuno was busy with Dragon's Dogma
-Westernization leads to higher sales (God of War money)
-Outsourcing to cheaper studios leads to reduced risk

During the whole DmC dark ages, initially I wasn't even at that bothered in the beginning- with the reveal trailer I was like "...eh?"

But when I found MainEvent's youtube videos and saw all the shittalking Ninja Theory and Capcom did to the old series- "now you really crossed the line, my hate for you is divine".

Appealing to the Western audience and getting that five million copies sold.

Not even joking, they were aiming for 5 million... Then 2 million... Then 1 million.

Mizerman

I'd like to think that the whole "5 million" sales thing was due to a high consumption of 'shrooms they were taking at the time.

Because there's a fine difference between aiming high and just being high.

Seyavesh

I think I'm happy with the performance of the game. If it had been a world changing hit, it might have changed the course of the series by becoming the new DMC.
Jx9AxcN.jpg

bLL4piS.gif

Looking good. I should also explore tech involving the aegis shield. Will you be participating in the Gaf tournament?

Thanks , i will probably enter a clip for each of the new characters. For the Aegis shield tech , an Ex-Shuffle is a good match. Just let go of the enemy mid shuffle and they will get hit by the backswing.

mandas

Neo Member

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capcom-almost-halves-dmc-sales-expectations/0110372

I fully agree. When I voiced my concerns/complaints I was called the "Vocal Minority". The thing is, my concerns were legitimate. I have followed the franchise since I fell in love with DMC but each games I have seen things I wanted to be improved so yes, I voiced what I saw as a wrong direction or a step backwards instead of forward to perfection.

I am still waiting for perfection.

Hell, I'd take a reboot just fine but DmC was just a wrong direction in many areas.

I still am surprised they did it at all tho. After completing DMC4 I nodded and thought DMC5 would soon follow, especially when the sales rolled in.

I know the flaws but the DMC4 was damned satisfying and successful. What the hell was wrong with success?

RE4 HD on PC got patched and that game was pretty rough at launch, so I hope they fix this one. No reason for the constant crashes and huge performance loss/ no advanced video settings.

More relevantly, Vergil in this game is much more fun than DMC3. It felt like you really needed to be get into advanced techniques to get anything out of Vergil in that game and I never liked watching combo videos of him that much, but in this game you can teleport and dash all over the place from the start.

Espada

Damn, everyone's having a blast with the game while my copy from PlayAsia still hasn't gotten here. =( They gave me a tracking number but they said I can't track air mail packages. What's worse is that I have until the 30th to redeem the code that comes with it, but the game has yet to arrive.

I can't to get my hands on this game!

Son Of D

I think it's been mentioned before but one thing I'd like to see in DMC5 would be an optional (and incredibly hard) boss battle against Sparda. Non-canon of course. Similar to the battle against
Rodin
in Bayonetta.

Voror

-More frequent rotation schedule of titles; Itsuno was busy with Dragon's Dogma
-Westernization leads to higher sales (God of War money)
-Outsourcing to cheaper studios leads to reduced risk

Well, that sort of backfired them in some respects, didn't it? I do get where they were coming from I guess and this could have worked if it had been handled differently.

Not even joking, they were aiming for 5 million... Then 2 million... Then 1 million.

Well, extremely high expectations seems to have been a reoccurring problem for some time now.

Have they ever acknowledged openly the problems people had with DMC4 (the level design and repeating bosses, etc.)? I'd have to think that whenever we do get a DMC5 we could expect better level design.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The campaign is really made for Nero to experience, but I'm definitely not complaining. I enjoyed it a lot back in 2008, but I have only gone back on PC a few times since. I would recommend starting with Nero. Vergil is a lot of fun and getting down his combos is great. Lady will be interesting to play more of.

I totally thought for a second they were making their own campaigns.

I'm playing right now as Vergil. His skill set is quite good. Lady is a lot of fun once you level up her skills. She's also hard to style. I get that her rockets land perfectly when you target the enemy.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Alright, got my PS4 copy from NCS.

I am motivated.

But unsure if I wanna run through the normal game again, or go straight to Vergil.

Damn, everyone's having a blast with the game while my copy from PlayAsia still hasn't gotten here. =( They gave me a tracking number but they said I can't track air mail packages. What's worse is that I have until the 30th to redeem the code that comes with it, but the game has yet to arrive.

I can't to get my hands on this game!

You're not alone. I'm still waiting for my Play Asia copy too. Keeping myself busy with all these videos being linked and all the crazy impressions. Can't wait for my turn. =D

cheesekao

During the whole DmC dark ages, initially I wasn't even at that bothered in the beginning- with the reveal trailer I was like "...eh?"

But when I found MainEvent's youtube videos and saw all the shittalking Ninja Theory and Capcom did to the old series- "now you really crossed the line, my hate for you is divine".

This bullshit needs to stop. Read the interview first and not regurgitate shit that people on the internet say.

"Motohide Eshiro: Well, taking Devil May Cry 4 as an example, including the PC versions we sold 2.7 million of that particular game, but we looked at the market and saw that there were other action games selling four million, five million, all these copies.

One of our goals for this game is to create something new and fresh that keeps the old fans but also catches new people, so that we can increase our overall appeal, our sales and our audience."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-22-dmc-devil-may-cry-interview

The wanted to boost sales but they never said 5 million was their target.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
RE4 HD on PC got patched and that game was pretty rough at launch, so I hope they fix this one. No reason for the constant crashes and huge performance loss/ no advanced video settings.

I absolutely hope so. Considering that wbacon is compiling bugs and stuff in the Steam discussions, I think they are. Please make sure to report your issues in that thread if possible.

Afrocious

Alright, got my PS4 copy from NCS.

I am motivated.

But unsure if I wanna run through the normal game again, or go straight to Vergil.

Be Vergil and be OP.

If you do LDK, please prioritize crowd control and devil trigger abilities.

If not, just do Devil Hunter and have fun.

Dahbomb

The wanted to boost sales but they never said 5 million was their target.
Boosting sales means targeting that 5 million. It was pointless for them to reboot just to get a little over a 3 million sales which is what DMC4 already achieved.

They saw God of War selling 5 million and wanted a piece of that pie. The intentions were pretty clear by Capcom.

What is the best place to get DMC4:SE on PS4? I am leaning towards Play Asia or even NCSX, but Play Asia shipping is much higher compared to Yes Asia. NCSX has the game for more money also. Play Asia and NCSX does seem to be preferred over Yes Asia, but I can get it considerably cheaper at Yes Asia. I am also aware of the waiting time as well since I Live in the US and I just realized the DLC code expires on June 30th? Does anyone have any experience with Yes Asia. Most comments I read are positive, but I read a decent amount of negative comments as well. Might use Paypal as well.

Top Bottom