• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Akzel

Just got the import of the game from Asia for that physical copy. This game is amazing! PLayed the original on Xbox but I've never played the PC version. I won't be sad if they port the original trilogy (last gen) to the current gen.

Was afraid of losing to Dante at the end of bloody palace so took the easy way out. God bless those scrub friendly cancels.

fztqWzx.gif

And I kept doing that for the next five minutes.

Funny thing... I was listening to soundtrack of enchanted while completing the bloody palace, guess that's what made me such a wuss.

gunbo13

I can do about 5-6 JC chains and then my fingers get bothered. Make sure not to go too fast doing the inputs, that's the easiest way to mess up. They look fast but JC chains are very slow compared to many of Vergil's attacks. So when adding them to combos, the slowness is pretty shitty and doing more than 2 is silly.

Try doing paused aerial rave into perfect JC then chain another one. That's the best flavor you will get and is fun to try out.

Decided to mess around with vergils JC cancel/inertia.
http://youtu.be/DTXhma5cAPM

Only managed to get three in a row so far

just started practicing and can't get past three in a row too...
I can do about 5-6 JC chains and then my fingers get bothered. Make sure not to go too fast doing the inputs, that's the easiest way to mess up. They look fast but JC chains are very slow compared to many of Vergil's attacks. So when adding them to combos, the slowness is pretty shitty and doing more than 2 is silly.

Try doing paused aerial rave into perfect JC then chain another one. That's the best flavor you will get and is fun to try out.

hardest part for me is the release time for JC. sometimes my fingers get glued to triangle and can't JF release.

edit: just did 6 now! my thumb was less sweaty so was able to properly let go of the charge

gunbo13

Anything more than 2 (arguably 2) is silliness. I wouldn't worry about it, it's not something worth the time.
hardest part for me is the release time for JC. sometimes my fingers get glued to triangle and can't JF release.
What's your button config for trick and melee? I have triangle/circle. The way to make sure the buffer stays is to roll your fingers quickly between the buttons.

Hold melee -> roll finger over trick -> negative edge -> hold melee & repeat

EDIT:
Looks like you got it.

T.O.P

Banned
Oh wow got to ch15 then i decided to try the new difficulty (the one with a shitload of enemies)

It's so much more fun D: It gets messy, but so damn awesome

So the DMC4:SE GAF True Style tournament entries for Trish and Lady are due friday by midnight Vergil entries due Saturday by midnight(at bottom, google form in email field).

Tournament thread, with full list of rules:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076690

[Entry format]
  • 30 seconds entry max of stylish gameplay (combos/combat that you think looks good).
  • Son of Sparda Difficulty or above (No LDK).
  • No easy automatic mode.
  • No Super Costumes.
  • All levels of Bloody Palace can be used.
  • No Piecing together multiple segments(clean cut).
  • Lady and Trish entries due 24th of July 11:59 PM.
  • Vergil Entries due 25th of July 11:59 PM

gunbo13

Man...those entries are weak. It seems the real blood DMC4 Nero players have moved on. My Nero is garbage by my own standards and I can still outdo some of those videos.

Or it's just the entrants pool, which is likely.

EDIT:
I also know DelusionaryKiller from YT and his submission is by far the best. It could be much better but it is far higher quality than the others.

Man I have played an unhealthy amount of Bloody Palace today. One complete run with Nero, three complete runs with Dante (Damn Perfect Dante trophy and his quick shotty) and up to stage 80 with Lady where I was killed by Credo. Fun times.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Man...those entries are weak. It seems the real blood DMC4 Nero players have moved on. My Nero is garbage by my own standards and I can still outdo some of those videos.

Or it's just the entrants pool, which is likely.

1) It was restricted to LDK mode.
2) It was restricted to the US only.
3) People only had the weekend to make something.
4) You should have entered!

Anyway, I just want to be supportive of people who were able to pull together an entry at all so quickly. It's stuff like this that keeps the community alive and keeps the series in the spotlight at Capcom, so kudos to everyone who entered.

gunbo13

1) It was restricted to LDK mode.
2) It was restricted to the US only.
3) People only had the weekend to make something.
4) You should have entered!

Anyway, I just want to be supportive of people who were able to pull together an entry at all so quickly. It's stuff like this that keeps the community alive and keeps the series in the spotlight at Capcom.
I see. And you are right, I should be more supportive. I might have entered if I knew the tournament existed. Well, would be tough in one weekend especially cause I was away for it. Talk about some strict tournament rules.

LDK only though? Eeekkk. They wanted to show off their new mode, which is basically like a cross counter MvC super. Terrible mode.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I see. And you are right, I should be more supportive. I might have entered if I knew the tournament existed. Well, would be tough in one weekend especially cause I was away for it. Talk about some strict tournament rules.

LDK only though? Eeekkk. They wanted to show off their new mode, which is basically like a cross counter MvC super. Terrible mode.

Whoops, I was wrong. It was open to:
-Tournament is open to residents of North America, Central America, South America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. Apologies to those not eligible.

So, it's broader than I thought. Still, LDK was a restriction that bothered most of the finalist entrants, definitely. I also feel like a lot of people just missed the window entirely. It was only a few days.

Decided to mess around with vergils JC cancel/inertia.
http://youtu.be/DTXhma5cAPM

Only managed to get three in a row so far

Looking sexy!

^to piggyback on the above, the Capcom-Unity DMC4SE Style Tournament Community Vote is now live:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregama...ion-style-tournament---round-1-community-vote

Featuring entries by:
Serj Angelo
GamerIzzy42
Dre
DelusionaryKiller
GarudaPSN

Voting Deadline: Friday, July 24th at noon (PT).

Oh shi-
My boy DK entered but my fellow DmC player GamerIzzy is in there. OOOH who to chose!?

gunbo13

Oh shi-
My boy DK entered but my fellow DmC player GamerIzzy is in there. OOOH who to chose!?
DelusionaryKiller is the only entry which is solid. The rest aren't even close. I've also seen his stuff before, which is also solid, and he would check out my early Nero stuff as well. Good Nero player for sure.

So I STILL can't get Vergil to transition well from debug to real. Dante/Nero have the ability to do steak combos against enemies. Vergil's damage is so damn high, it's more like popcorn. It's a difficult adaption when you are trying to design combos, probably the worst challenge there is aside from almost 0 frame inputs.

Anyway, I capped something cause I scrap 99% of my footage due to Vergil's extreme brokeness. I was just playing BP, so not combo focused, yet there are some decent advanced elements to view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFmY74foMUA

-Summon sword stop -> aerial continuance
-Drive cancel to side switch -> aerial
-DT cancels to side swithh -> aerial

Seyavesh

What's the fastest way to beat the Savior as Vergil?

mash swords nonstop while screwing around and get him to do the stupid 'im rising and hittable' thing->lvl 3 beast uppercut distorted (lvl2 also works) on chest gem-> knocked down->do anything to take off the last 30-10%
distorted = turn on/off devil trigger the instant it hits, you get sweet double distortion bc vergils thing does multiple hits over a long animation so you can do activate dt to distort the first hit and then deactivate to distort one of the last few

also i can't remember the value i changed to change the lighting on an attack because i overwrote it
gahhhh

gunbo13

So I have a challenge tonight. Have not given Lady or Trish a second of attention. My plan is to play 4 hours total.

1st hour - Trish lab
2nd hour - Trish cap
3rd hour - Lady lab
4th hour - Lady cap

I need to study today if I'm going to make anything of this. Where are the top Trish & Lady videos at?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Round 2 of the Capcom-Unity Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition Style Tournament is upon us, this time featuring Dante.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregama...le-tournament---round-1-results-round-2-rules
Round 2 Rules:

Character: Dante

Difficulty: Son of Sparda

Modifiers: Turbo Mode is optional! No Super Dante allowed. You may choose the costume of your preference.

Mission: 12

Fight: "Meeting Room" fight, against the Mega Scarecrows. You do not have to perform the entire fight in 60 seconds, but the clip itself must be limited to a 60-second (or shorter) piece of the fight. It may, of course, be shorter than 60 seconds.

Deadline: Monday, July 27th @12:00pm (noon) PDT

How to Submit:

1. Record a video clip in line with the regulations for the current round. PS4 and Xbox One both have easy ways of doing this. For PC, you’ll have to have a way of capturing video.

2. Upload the video to YouTube. You may upload to either Public or Unlisted, but not Private.

3. Send your YouTube video link to contest@capcom.com OR tweet it with #DMCStyle. If you submit via Twitter, make sure you are also following the Twitter account @DevilMayCry.

4. Feel free to include any information you think is important to highlight in the video description on YouTube.

5. Each person may submit only one clip per round. So be sure you submit the take you think is best!

There's only the weekend, but hopefully some folks in here have a chance to make an entry! Mission 12 is a pretty popular spot.

There's a MH card game? Neato.

Man this thread is dead.. Anyway I'm hoping a couple more people submit entries to GAF True Style Tournament.. Gunbo are you submitting anything?

So entries for Trish and Lady are due tonight by midnight Vergil entries due Saturday by midnight. But if people submit entries tomorrow for Trish or Lady I'll still accept them or something... (at bottom, google form in email field).

Tournament thread, with full list of rules:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076690

[Entry format]
  • 30 seconds entry max of stylish gameplay (combos/combat that you think looks good).
  • Son of Sparda Difficulty or above (No LDK).
  • No easy automatic mode.
  • No Super Costumes.
  • All levels of Bloody Palace can be used.
  • No Piecing together multiple segments(clean cut).
  • Lady and Trish entries due 24th of July 11:59 PM.
  • Vergil Entries due 25th of July 11:59 PM

gunbo13

Round 2 of the Capcom-Unity Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition Style Tournament is upon us, this time featuring Dante.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregama...le-tournament---round-1-results-round-2-rules
DelusionaryKiller lost. lol Damn, I'm not sure what people are looking for... It's not even an opinion that his video was by far the best. And DMC4 Dante next, my weakness with barely any time committed. And after how round 1 was voted...tsk tsk tsk.

Anyway, I stuck to my word for once. I spent 4 hours with Lady and Trish. I had never played 1 second with either before. 2 hours for lab time, 2 hours trying to get footage. I submitted the best two clips I could muster in such a short time. I don't think I did THAT bad for such a short time. I doubt I'll submit anything in addition for those two cause Vergil needs all free time.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DelusionaryKiller lost. lol Damn, I'm not sure what people are looking for... It's not even an opinion that his video was by far the best. And DMC4 Dante next, my weakness with barely any time committed. And after how round 1 was voted...tsk tsk tsk.

Yeah, I voted for DelusionaryKiller myself. The thing is, a lot of more advanced techniques and timing might be lost on some people. It's the same reason why everybody goes nuts over that one Nero/Credo Tablehopper gif, but when some other crazy gif is posted with more elaborate technique, the response isn't always as strong.

Popularity contest son.

That's a good point. Some of these guys have Youtube followings. It might be better to not actually label the entries with names until after a winner is chosen.

Yeah, I voted for DelusionaryKiller myself. The thing is, a lot of more advanced techniques and timing might be lost on some people. It's the same reason why everybody goes nuts over that one Nero/Credo Tablehopper gif, but when some other crazy gif is posted with more elaborate technique, the response isn't always as strong.

yeah I think people are looking for the more style over tech.

Golnei

By the way, Gene, Jeanne and Bayonetta (in the d'Arc costume) are more or less finished.

4gh10sjmx.png
4bda4bhoxs.png
4jda35lsrf.png

i figured out the lighting hooray
Y1DpJUf.jpg

here's a purple version of trish's effects with mostly correct lighting
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cjsv77iarkz5t19

Both the blue and violet are immeasurable improvements on the default, especially now that you've changed the lighting as well. If you were planning on doing any further recolours of her effects, perhaps a red version similar to the Blitz's desperation state could work?

4bda34iq8h.png

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
By the way, Gene, Jeanne and Bayonetta (in the d'Arc costume) are more or less finished.

Both the blue and violet are immeasurable improvements on the default, especially now that you've changed the lighting as well. If you were planning on doing any further recolours of her effects, perhaps a red version similar to the Blitz's desperation state could work?

Both you and Seyavesh are doing beautiful work. Thank you. My current computer can't really run the game well, but once I replace this hunk of junk, I'll definitely be looking into implementing a lot of the visual changes/skins/mods you guys have shown here.

I was given this, but hadn't gotten around to it until today, after downloading the large file. And I'm not sure of what to think, nor do I know whether I want to stick with it.

I just finished mission 3, so I guess I'm pretty early on, but it feels clunky and is somewhat boring so far. There are things I like -- the classic Devil May Cry stuff -- but this doesn't feel as intense as those.

Please tell me it gets better and that I'm not looking at a slog for the next 9-10 hours.

Afrocious

I was given this, but hadn't gotten around to it until today, after downloading the large file. And I'm not sure of what to think, nor do I know whether I want to stick with it.

I just finished mission 3, so I guess I'm pretty early on, but it feels clunky and is somewhat boring so far. There are things I like -- the classic Devil May Cry stuff -- but this doesn't feel as intense as those.

Please tell me it gets better and that I'm not looking at a slog for the next 9-10 hours.

This is your first time playing DMC4? The campaign is shoddy and it's toned down compared to DMC3 as far as the action in cutscenes though. The main sell is the stylish combat, which is superb in this game.

Your characters will become more fun to play as you unlock more abilities and attacks, but in general the campaign is not really very good and the main draw of the game is in mastering the complex combat system. I think you should stick with it a bit longer to see if it clicks with you but if you don't see yourself putting a lot of time into the game you probably won't get much out of it.

This is your first time playing DMC4? The campaign is shoddy and it's toned down compared to DMC3 as far as the action in cutscenes though. The main sell is the stylish combat, which is superb in this game.

Your characters will become more fun to play as you unlock more abilities and attacks, but in general the campaign is not really very good and the main draw of the game is in mastering the complex combat system. I think you should stick with it a bit longer to see if it clicks with you but if you don't see yourself putting a lot of time into the game you probably won't get much out of it.

Thanks for the informative replies

I want to like it, and would like to beat it so that I can cross it off my backlog. It is my first time playing it in general, although I bought the CE on launch day in 2008. I just never got around to playing it, like an idiot who hates himself for wasting $50. (I got it and Turok for $100)

So far, I've just questioned why I've been playing it in the back of my mind. I'm not one to master combo or combat systems either, but I'll try to get into it.

yeah mission 3 is when it gets kinda boring and the adrenaline from the first 2 mission washes out, but it definitely picks up. The actual slog starts on mission 12

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Thanks for the informative replies

I want to like it, and would like to beat it so that I can cross it off my backlog. It is my first time playing it in general, although I bought the CE on launch day in 2008. I just never got around to playing it, like an idiot who hates himself for wasting $50. (I got it and Turok for $100)

So far, I've just questioned why I've been playing it in the back of my mind. I'm not one to master combo or combat systems either, but I'll try to get into it.

The game starts slow for sure. The pacing in the game is pretty weak. That said, Mission 3 is still early, and the early game is sort of a slog until you start unlocking moves and getting a feel for the combat. Which characters are you playing as? If this is your first time, I'd recommend going with Nero/Dante.

Popularity contest son.

That's a good point. Some of these guys have Youtube followings. It might be better to not actually label the entries with names until after a winner is chosen.

Pretty much. It's one of the problems I had with DmC. I'm not complaining either or trying to make myself sound salty about not winning, but it is a factor. From looking at the statistics, popularity does play a apart. I watch every single video entry for each round and see is any big names enter. In the case of of DmC (Vergil), one of them was a big Vergil player in which their video had a several thousand views. Compared to even smaller people than me, they had less than 100. Also, take into account round 2, where the one guy that got it was using multiple (unregistered) computers to vastly take the majority vote.

It sucks because:
1) Gregaman is doing this for us
2) Not everyone who votes watches the other videos.

Even I am guilty of this. I'm more likely to vote for DK or GamerIzzy based on my connection to them, but I still check out the rest. DMC4 is a different beast entirely though. I'm expecting some of the more well known players to enter. Not really bothered about Dante or Nero.
Edit: To make it clear though, I don't consider any entry to be bad. I think all the other entrants did a good job.

Also, join in Direct_Quote tournament, guys!

Kreygasm. You alone make we wanna get the PC version. Good job!

gunbo13

It is certainly a valid point with the popularity contest vote but the above is also true. The more you explore the nuts & bolts of the combat systems, the more you are desensitized from what most players are visually impressed by. I personally have no idea anymore what looks good for most players since I technically analyze videos. And if you play a ton, you can analyze videos pretty much like you are a ghost player, think Mario Kart. When watching the 1st round vids, I saw the technical chops on DK's vid and also saw the large weaknesses in the others. It's then a no brainer.

I personally have seen the same stuff with DMC3:SE, which I put my focus into. The stuff I have done with Dante is 10x more complex and difficult than the popular vids. I just didn't put time into some progressive rock soundtrack and fucking up all the frames like a novice in photoshop playing with sliders. But I get that people like style over substance, despite ironically the metric here being "style." The error though is editing style over gameplay style and hardcore players creating there own "style" playing off each other.

In the end you just have to make the vids for yourself. I know my LTG (low to ground) stuff in DMC3:SE takes serious chops to pull off, I often struggled like bananas with some of it. To hover inches from the ground for 30 seconds + using the entire bag of advanced mechanics is something I know is above all the more simplified stuff the popular videos show off. It won't get the style editing crowd but I'm proud of it & some advanced players may see it.

-End of PSA-

Going last ditch effort to put together Vergil video I'm proud of now. Chance of it meeting my standards 0.1%. I need at least another 80-100 hours with this bastard.

Seyavesh

stuff that looks cool is the best and that's what i wanna do

for example, the dumb lady combo i couldn't recreate for a tourney submission was:

using her wire to launch->two-hand while spinning the stick around in a circle so she has one hand spazzing out shooting at nothing in a circle->back+melee grenade->buffered reverse shotgun stinger, ground zero->grenades explode at the same time as ground zero, enemy launches towards lady while lady launches towards enemy and they pass by each other->back+melee grenades->buffer reverse two-hand->grenades explode->backwards two hand juggles, kills scarecrow (!!)

no execution required, dumb luck with spacing but it looked incredibly cool
...too bad i couldn't recreate it, maaan

edit:
gotta get that dmc1 dante somehow so i can have all of the best versions of the dmc crew aw yeah
pcLxOGX.jpg

Top Bottom