• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

gunbo13

Note, PS4 can show clips at 30 secs that end up at 31 in YT. I think these should count.

If we allow some submissions tomorrow (wink wink) then I can get more out before voting.

If anyone wants to help me out and just drop a post picking a letter, that would be awesome. :p I have zero clue what people like!

In my view this is still C level stuff at best, as in the grade. I need a lot more time to turn my A stuff into reality. It exists in my head, B stuff exists in the lab only. Tis what it is.

EDIT:
Took down clips.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Note, PS4 can show clips at 30 secs that end up at 31 in YT. I think these should count.

If we allow some submissions tomorrow (wink wink) then I can get more out before voting.

If anyone wants to help me out and just drop a post picking a letter, that would be awesome. :p I have zero clue what people like!

I think Vergil entries are actually due tonight at midnight, so you're well within the window!

Hm, that's a tough one. I think I'm inclined to say E, G, or H. G mostly for the enemy variety than anything else, though.

edit:
gotta get that dmc1 dante somehow so i can have all of the best versions of the dmc crew aw yeah
pcLxOGX.jpg

I love Trish's hair in this! Trish's hair always bothered me a little in DMC4, since I think she looks better with bangs. I've always preferred her DMC1 and MvC3 hairstyle. What did you use to replace it?

The game starts slow for sure. The pacing in the game is pretty weak. That said, Mission 3 is still early, and the early game is sort of a slog until you start unlocking moves and getting a feel for the combat. Which characters are you playing as? If this is your first time, I'd recommend going with Nero/Dante.

I like to experience games as they were meant to be played the first time, so I chose Nero and Dante.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I like to experience games as they were meant to be played the first time, so I chose Nero and Dante.

Yep, that's the way to do it. How are you investing your Proud Souls? Things should start to pick up after Mission 3. Be sure to purchase Speed as soon as possible. It'll help you speed through non-combat areas much quicker.

I think Vergil entries are actually due tonight at midnight, so you're well within the window!
Yes All entries are due tonight..

Tournament thread, with full list of rules:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076690

[Entry format]
  • 30 seconds entry max of stylish gameplay (combos/combat that you think looks good).
  • Son of Sparda Difficulty or above (No LDK).
  • No easy automatic mode.
  • No Super Costumes.
  • All levels of Bloody Palace can be used.
  • No Piecing together multiple segments(clean cut).
  • Lady and Trish entries due 24th of July 11:59 PM.
  • Vergil Entries due 25th of July 11:59 PM

QUOTE THIS POST TO GET ENTRY FORM, IT"S A GOOGLE FORM.

Yep, that's the way to do it. How are you investing your Proud Souls? Things should start to pick up after Mission 3. Be sure to purchase Speed as soon as possible. It'll help you speed through non-combat areas much quicker.

Speed, the long distance grab and a couple of combos. I'm not one to pull off elaborate combos, but the selection seemed limited.

I've also upgraded my health three or four times. Needed it for the first boss (though I guess I could've used a health item) since I'm only decent at these games. I almost beat DMC3 as a kid before having to return it, though, and have beaten all of the others.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Speed, the long distance grab and a couple of combos. I'm not one to pull off elaborate combos, but the selection seemed limited.

I've also upgraded my health three or four times. Needed it for the first boss (though I guess I could've used a health item) since I'm only decent at these games. I almost beat DMC3 as a kid before having to return it, though, and have beaten all of the others.

Nero really opens up when you buy Exceed, Max-ACT, and Charge Shot. Check out the intro video in the OP, if you're interested. Exceed practically doubles his moveset. Just on a base level it makes him more interesting as a character, not just for elaborate combos.

gunbo13

Hm, that's a tough one. I think I'm inclined to say E, G, or H. G mostly for the enemy variety than anything else, though.
Cool. I picked E based on the feedback. Who knows how the votes are done, especially with how the Crapcom vote went. I probably should pick the flashier AOE vids but will not. E is a C- video of an A what I "can" do with a good chunk of time more with Vergil. So works for me and shows what DMC4 is like when being a combo player.

Unless we want to extend the tourney another few months in order for me to cap some A material. :p

Stainless

I like B due to it having more enemies onscreen than the other ones and because you used different skills to dispose of them. D is the one I like second because of the airborne stuff.

gunbo13

I like B due to it having more enemies onscreen than the other ones and because you used different skills to dispose of them. D is the one I like second because of the airborne stuff.
Oh shoot. Direct_quote, just pick your favorite and enter it. lol

EDIT:
I did think B and D would do well.

Seyavesh

I love Trish's hair in this! Trish's hair always bothered me a little in DMC4, since I think she looks better with bangs. I've always preferred her DMC1 and MvC3 hairstyle. What did you use to replace it?
it's dante's hair stacked on top of trish's hair lol
it doesn't really transfer ingame b/c trish's ingame hair is a different color entirely (uses a different material map from what i can tell, CMM for cinematics, MM for ingame)
i ended up using dante's cinematic hair because i could eventually get it to match the color somewhat but that also looked terrible, unfortunately
edit:
i just had a stupid idea that i bet will work
edit2:
hey it worked
VwdIrH3.jpg

also gunbo, i think clip E (the one w/ the big scarecrows) is the best lookin' out of 'em- the part with the drive->cancel teleport side switch sticks out to me

Nero really opens up when you buy Exceed, Max-ACT, and Charge Shot. Check out the intro video in the OP, if you're interested. Exceed practically doubles his moveset. Just on a base level it makes him more interesting as a character, not just for elaborate combos.

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind when I play it again. Cheers.

Seyavesh

made a video about trish mechanic stuff i haven't seen folks post about. pretty simple overall but i guess she's ignored for the same reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtrJTBqp7I

i can't help but wonder if she's got a bunch of weird hidden stuff b/c of how pieced together she is
sorry if the first 40 seconds are too samey, just wanted to get it across

really, really need to look into that attack skip thing.. i'm not sure if it was sleep deprivation or what but i swear i ended up canceling her straight into the third hit of the bare knuckle combo C once
thinking about it, i believe it may have to do with animation breakpoints for canceling into run, like the grounded judgement cut chain. checking the timing on that and the immediate stinger, they seem similar and similarly crazy tight

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
made a video about trish mechanic stuff i haven't seen folks post about. pretty simple overall but i guess she's ignored for the same reason

i can't help but wonder if she's got a bunch of weird hidden stuff b/c of how pieced together she is

really, really need to look into that attack skip thing.. i'm not sure if it was sleep deprivation or what but i swear i ended up canceling her straight into the third hit of the bare knuckle combo C once

The Roundtrip conductor is really interesting. It's not just a visual flair? I would assume not, but I didn't see any obvious changes to the properties of the moves, so it could just be enhanced damage.

Seyavesh

The Roundtrip conductor is really interesting. It's not just a visual flair? I would assume not, but I didn't see any obvious changes to the properties of the moves, so it could just be enhanced damage.

easiest thing to tell with is on volcano, the additional lightning strikes cause the enemy the launch significantly higher (which is why i used it)
you can actually see one of the additional lightning strikes launch the enemy w/ the shoryuken example, it's super delayed and knocks them up when i'm already falling from the uppercut
if you can time the retraction of the round trip or have the charged straight hit near the end, the speed that the enemy gets knocked back by is significantly greater (possibly longer distance too? not sure).

you get really weird properties w/ the direction it launches the enemy when you do that, actually

for other moves i think it's just increased damage but not sure. haven't done much testing w/ it. the damage is significantly increased on charged bare knuckle moves, it's pretty ridiculous

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Which of Vergil's attacks reflects the Angelo sphere?

Not looking forward to the awful Savior level.

All of them. You just need to time them. Helm Breaker, Lunar Phase, or Yamato Air Combo B are probably the easiest to time.

easiest thing to tell with is on volcano, the additional lightning strikes cause the enemy the launch significantly higher (which is why i used it)
you can actually see one of the additional lightning strikes launch the enemy w/ the shoryuken example, it's super delayed and knocks them up when i'm already falling from the uppercut
if you can time the retraction of the round trip or have the charged straight hit near the end, the speed that the enemy gets knocked back by is significantly greater (possibly longer distance too? not sure).

you get really weird properties w/ the direction it launches the enemy when you do that, actually

for other moves i think it's just increased damage but not sure. haven't done much testing w/ it. the damage is significantly increased on charged bare knuckle moves, it's pretty ridiculous

Gotcha. I noticed that the enemy ended up higher from the roundtrip volcano, but I thought it was because the roundtrip had them suspended higher to start with. With the Shoryuken, I hadn't noticed the first "non-conducted" example. In either case, it does add a unique twist to the character. These minute details are really what sets DMC apart from others in the genre.

thinking about it, i believe it may have to do with animation breakpoints for canceling into run, like the grounded judgement cut chain. checking the timing on that and the immediate stinger, they seem similar and similarly crazy tight
Now this is what I'm talking about. I knew Trish had to have some secret tech, and here it is.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Have PC modders finally figured out a non-hex editing the .exe way of making the SE version perform on the level of the last MT Framework engine/DMC4 non-SE edition? That weird framedrop/stutter really killed the game for me.

It is certainly a valid point with the popularity contest vote but the above is also true. The more you explore the nuts & bolts of the combat systems, the more you are desensitized from what most players are visually impressed by. I personally have no idea anymore what looks good for most players since I technically analyze videos. And if you play a ton, you can analyze videos pretty much like you are a ghost player, think Mario Kart. When watching the 1st round vids, I saw the technical chops on DK's vid and also saw the large weaknesses in the others. It's then a no brainer.

I personally have seen the same stuff with DMC3:SE, which I put my focus into. The stuff I have done with Dante is 10x more complex and difficult than the popular vids. I just didn't put time into some progressive rock soundtrack and fucking up all the frames like a novice in photoshop playing with sliders. But I get that people like style over substance, despite ironically the metric here being "style." The error though is editing style over gameplay style and hardcore players creating there own "style" playing off each other.

In the end you just have to make the vids for yourself. I know my LTG (low to ground) stuff in DMC3:SE takes serious chops to pull off, I often struggled like bananas with some of it. To hover inches from the ground for 30 seconds + using the entire bag of advanced mechanics is something I know is above all the more simplified stuff the popular videos show off. It won't get the style editing crowd but I'm proud of it & some advanced players may see it.

-End of PSA-

Going last ditch effort to put together Vergil video I'm proud of now. Chance of it meeting my standards 0.1%. I need at least another 80-100 hours with this bastard.

True but;
1) Not everyone watching knows what's happening. When I entered for DmC Vergil I was dismissed as "sword spamming".
2) Matter of opinion to
3) DK is the worst player ever (in joke/ignore)

stuff that looks cool is the best and that's what i wanna do

for example, the dumb lady combo i couldn't recreate for a tourney submission was:

using her wire to launch->two-hand while spinning the stick around in a circle so she has one hand spazzing out shooting at nothing in a circle->back+melee grenade->buffered reverse shotgun stinger, ground zero->grenades explode at the same time as ground zero, enemy launches towards lady while lady launches towards enemy and they pass by each other->back+melee grenades->buffer reverse two-hand->grenades explode->backwards two hand juggles, kills scarecrow (!!)

no execution required, dumb luck with spacing but it looked incredibly cool
...too bad i couldn't recreate it, maaan

edit:
gotta get that dmc1 dante somehow so i can have all of the best versions of the dmc crew aw yeah
pcLxOGX.jpg
OMG TRISH IS HOT!

lol
5KtH9FW.gif

Mostly been fucking around with the game since launch. Not really doing anything other than refining Dante and Nero and learning the others, but now putting up Style videos.

Dante vs Berial (style practice/not perfect/no edit)
Having a bit of fun going back to bosses. Also, not edited (outside of upload studio branding) and no music so yo don't have listen to Celldweller like everyone frikkin' DMC player.

Edit: Would people be interested in a NeoGAF combo video given that you had around a month to submit something?

Man Trish is a struggle in Bloody Palace. Her damage output is really low compared to everyone else and because of this it eats up a lot of time. Pandora beam makes quick work of enemies but leaving her too low of DT, especially during a blitz battle, can spell certain doom. Anyone have any general tips for her in that mode. Fastest way to kill regular enemies? Spam charge punch?

Mostly been fucking around with the game since launch. Not really doing anything other than refining Dante and Nero and learning the others, but now putting up Style videos.

Dante vs Berial (style practice/not perfect/no edit)
Having a bit of fun going back to bosses. Also, not edited (outside of upload studio branding) and no music so yo don't have listen to Celldweller like everyone frikkin' DMC player.

Edit: Would people be interested in a NeoGAF combo video given that you had around a month to submit something?

Solid Dante gameplay, Have you been playing since launch back in 2008?

NeoGAF vid seems like a great idea.

Seyavesh

Man Trish is a struggle in Bloody Palace. Her damage output is really low compared to everyone else and because of this it eats up a lot of time. Pandora beam makes quick work of enemies but leaving her too low of DT, especially during a blitz battle, can spell certain doom. Anyone have any general tips for her in that mode. Fastest way to kill regular enemies? Spam charge punch?

round trip->charge melee x2->either charged back/forward bare knuckle move for lower health enemies, charged bare knuckle combo D w/ round trip powerup for enemies with more health
both of those p much instakill or close all the regular enemies in the game
if it's like a huge mob, just throw out round trip, turn on DT and do spinning bird kick like two or three times and it'll shred most of the lesser enemies

edit: to correct something in the vid, you can jump cancel -any- air move of hers and have the effect stick around. most of the stuff isn't notable besides high voltage and these 2: the last hit of lunar phase and real impact

My second attempt with Trish I smashed BP. You just really have to use meter management more and use DT for health restoration. All I need to do now is beat BP with Vergil and the Platinum is mine.

I remember when vanilla DMC4 came out and I thought those achievements sounded impossible at the time but now I'm not afraid of anything.

Link to NEOGAF style thread below
NEOGAF DMC4:SE TRUE STYLE THREAD
ue4izUl.png

• You can vote only once for each character category (aka 1 vote for a Lady entry AND 1 vote for a Trish entry)
  • Voting will end Monday July 27 at 11:59 PM
  • VERGIL entries will start voting on Wednesday July 28th, and end Thursday July 29th at 11:59 PM
  • HERE IS THE VOTING LINK
ZrqD6GW.png

KLatdz7.png

Seyavesh

haha whoa frantic, what the heck is going on in the start of your trish vid? you do a sideways v-divider and it drags the scarecrow to you without actually hitting it?

also since the entries are up, here's my filler submission from when the deadline was earlier- imo a lot weaker than my actual entry despite actually having some form of technique in it
though, i really wish i could've figured out how to work that walljump into my actual entry too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8674d6fMmw

Frantic

Never ended up with a Vergil submission - dude kills stuff so fast that I could never get anything I liked. I'm also super lazy and and don't have the patience to find some cool combo possibility. The life of a combo-video maker is not for me, I'm afraid...

These submissions are siiiiiiick. Good stuff!

Solid Dante gameplay, Have you been playing since launch back in 2008?

NeoGAF vid seems like a great idea.

I started playin DMC4 properly in 2010(same time as MvC3). It's a game I've always played in the background. Learning for around 5 years on Missions 12 and BP over and over.

I think a combo video would be pretty cool. I tried this idea on the DmC OT but the thread died pretty quickly. Similar to the Tournament, everyone submits around 3 clips(or 1 if they want) showing anything and I'll edit the together (or someone else can if they want). But it'll be a collective work of all of us doing a CMV. I'll see what responses I get otherwise but I'd do the video even if it only came down to me and 1 other entrant. A NeoGAF DMC4:SE CMV. I've done this for. Few years now so I'm up for managing it an stuff.

gunbo13

Pretty good stuff in some of the vids. My Lady/Trish don't even qualify cause they are garbage 2 hr toss outs. Though I'm ok looking like a scrub.

Great to see these characters get proper attention from other players.

EDIT:
It is nice that it is the last time I will play as them though. :p. Even only playing both characters for just a few hours, I don't like barely anything about them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Voted. All the entries were great!

I think a combo video would be pretty cool. I tried this idea on the DmC OT but the thread died pretty quickly. Similar to the Tournament, everyone submits around 3 clips(or 1 if they want) showing anything and I'll edit the together (or someone else can if they want). But it'll be a collective work of all of us doing a CMV. I'll see what responses I get otherwise but I'd do the video even if it only came down to me and 1 other entrant. A NeoGAF DMC4:SE CMV. I've done this for. Few years now so I'm up for managing it an stuff.

I don't think I have the technical snuff or time, but I'd certainly like to help wherever possible. I think it's a good idea.

also since the entries are up, here's my filler submission from when the deadline was earlier- imo a lot weaker than my actual entry despite actually having some form of technique in it
though, i really wish i could've figured out how to work that walljump into my actual entry too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8674d6fMmw

I really like both this and your main Trish entry. There's a lot of fresh things going on there.

gunbo13

I will be able to supply plenty of Vergil footage for combo videos. The quality will continue to improve over time, as long as I have some. The video that will be voted on tomorrow likely won't get much play. I am a technical player until I have hit a certain confidence with my character, so the "wow" factor is mostly absent. For now...

I can also do Nero, probably close to A tier stuff. I know him well. Dante...likely not. And I won't be playing as Trish & Lady ever again. So mostly Vergil & Nero.

Seyavesh

I really like both this and your main Trish entry. There's a lot of fresh things going on there.

haha, thanks. they don't really have anything majorly technical to them besides damage management so i just wanted to do somethin' that looked cool. hopefully some other folks think that too
most of the trish vids i saw used her taunt, bare knuckle combo b's full deal or copious use of her divekick lightning traps so i wanted to avoid doin' those as much as i could (hence my final entry vs. my initial one)

still trying to figure out how to apply technical stuff to her or if she even has any besides the universal mechanics and the sparda combo B skip. investigating the input timing on that, it's absolutely bizarre- it's not the same thing as vergil's chain cut timing where you can cancel the frame with walking. the very specific frame it's available on makes me wonder if it's actually something done on purpose as it's got a somewhat clear animation cue (when slowed down to 10%, haha)

speaking of technical:
thanks to the magic of training mode my baby dante is maturing slowly but surely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_nT19xglLs

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I noticed that the Devil May Cry 3142 graphic art book has been delayed. Or its release date has been shifted. I find that unusual considering that they were selling them at the latest convention to get them autographed by Kobayashi.

Production problems? Or maybe a delay so the release coincides with an announcement?

Dahbomb

I noticed that the Devil May Cry 3142 graphic art book has been delayed. Or its release date has been shifted. I find that unusual considering that I don't was selling them at the latest convention to get them autographed by Kobayashi.

Production problems? Or maybe a delay so the release coincides with an announcement?
ibnJhT5q4E21up.gif

Top Bottom