• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
By the way, if anyone was planning on entering something for Dante in the Capcom - Unity Style Tournament, you have two hours. Get those entries in!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Edit : what the heck? GAF is messing with my head. Disappearing and reappearing posts. Sorry for the double post. To make this dummy post actually useful, I'll quote the GAF true style vote.

Link to NEOGAF style thread below
NEOGAF DMC4:SE TRUE STYLE THREAD
ue4izUl.png

• You can vote only once for each character category (aka 1 vote for a Lady entry AND 1 vote for a Trish entry)
  • Voting will end Monday July 27 at 11:59 PM
  • VERGIL entries will start voting on Wednesday July 28th, and end Thursday July 29th at 11:59 PM
  • HERE IS THE VOTING LINK
ZrqD6GW.png

KLatdz7.png

gunbo13

The issue with Dante in DMC4 is that pro Dante players have been going for 7+ years already with him. And his ceiling is ridiculous. So it's very easy to get dissuaded to starting him up. Vergi is fresh, which is why I'm maining him. I do have no issue styling a bit with Nero or Dante though to just compile footage.

BadWolf

The issue with Dante in DMC4 is that pro Dante players have been going for 7+ years already with him. And his ceiling is ridiculous. So it's very easy to get dissuaded to starting him up. Vergi is fresh, which is why I'm maining him. I do have no issue styling a bit with Nero or Dante though to just compile footage.

One of their biggest accomplishments with Vergil is that it's easy to feel like a badass with him, even if you are a new player.

gunbo13

One of their biggest accomplishments with Vergil is that it's easy to feel like a badass with him, even if you are a new player.
I agree. And he has the depth for you to do wicked ridiculous stuff with him if you want to put more time in.

Coincidentally I just found this video on my channel. I capped it exhausted in the early AM, totally forgot it existed. Look at the ridiculousness. lol

Vergil drrrrrr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvSU11UY684

DedValve

Banned

I mean seriously. Vergil feels so fucking ridiculously overpowered and amazing and yet the game can still be challenging, he can still have good depth and there are still combos being done that I can't even dream of doing.

Capcom fucking knocked it out of the park with Vergil. Trish and Lady also feel really great. I'm excited for DMC5.

DedValve

Banned
Just have Virgil reclaim his life back by killing God. No not the peasant god that most JRPG heroes kill I mean the Alpha/Omega of all creatures in the universe Gods God. The God that all other Gods go to church because their too afraid of God.

Have Virgil beat the shit out of him and make that the prologue boss in the demo. Thats how the game should start.

Also give Dante a kid so she and Nero can get into a fight of whose dad would win in a fight, like that episode of Dexter.

gunbo13

The primary difficulty as a Vergil player is trying not to kill things too fast so you can extend your fun. So yea, I'd say that's only an issue a really OP character would have in a joke of an environment.

Voted. All the entries were great!

I don't think I have the technical snuff or time, but I'd certainly like to help wherever possible. I think it's a good idea.

By all means yeah! I'll wait till this tournament voting finishes and then I'll post something about it.

Fake edit: Voted :D

This basically. Vergil's options outclass everything in DMC4 swiftly and almost effortlessly. He needs a new playground or he needs to be adjusted.

Yep. He feels like he was made by a different team...a different team.

The primary difficulty as a Vergil player is trying not to kill things too fast so you can extend your fun. So yea, I'd say that's only an issue a really OP character would have in a joke of an environment.

Nerf summon sword damage pls

Oh wow. My DMC 3142 artbook preorder has jumped from 13th August to January next year. Fuck that noise.

EDIT: Should have read the last page. D'oh. Anyway, here's this. It's nothing special, I just thought it looked pretty cool.

giphy.gif

Seyavesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jMFhwUbxjY

combo vid w/ the ladies that has a lot of cool stuff in it, including some trish tech that seems real interestin' (pandora JC->call roundtrip back causes continued roundtrip juggle while you still have sparda on you again?)

edit: whoa, jump canceling pandora laser causes some weird shit to happen! hm!
i also think this is why the pandora rockets are cancelable into each other- it's because you can cancel them into the pandora laser too- if you could do reverse laser easier then the weirdness this causes would be noticed a lot easier since it's braindead simple to reverse moves off pandora rockets. still having trouble doing reverse laser off lunar phase

edit2: made a quick 6sec video showing the weirdness, i still have no idea what on earth huangRS did to cause that state.. maybe positioning related to where the enemy is getting hit by the invisible beam but being locked in place rather than bouncing on it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBk_k166oLU

gunbo13

Nothing can really spice up Lady and Trish. Lady is a callback to DMC1, which I still think can show better tech than her despite being almost 15 years old. Trish is just...option limited. She plays with some DMC4 speed but has options that are close to DMC3 Dante, if he didn't have any styles. I think what GuardianE did with her is in the higher tier. What happens with limited characters like her if you go further is that you start playing gimmicks. Instead of fluid and endless variations to combos (Dante/Vergil), you start getting off-stuff which strays from looking like DMC4 gameplay.

Vergil on the other hand will not be tapped fully for years. Dante will never reach his potential and Nero has been pretty much taped out.

EDIT:
That Trish move is the animation glitching through the enemy causing a side switch.

Seyavesh

EDIT:
That Trish move is the animation glitching through the enemy causing a side switch.

uh, what? no, i don't mean that- that's obvious.. i do that in my tournament entry, even
i mean look at how the enemy is bouncing in midair off nothing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jMFhwUbxjY#t=1m16s
like, the round trip gets recalled immediately after the JC

i'm pretty sure what's happening is the side switch is being used to position the laser to where the hitbox that's left in place by the laser+JC immediately after the laser fires floats them rather then pushing them like the pandora laser normally does if the enemy is further away

edit:
especially if you mean in my video, that's 100% not what happens at all- i'm reversing the pandora laser so it blows me towards the enemy and then JC it when it hits them, causing the beam hitbox to continue while i'm free to screw around- if i side switched i wouldn't be able to JC the laser because of that blowback on firing

Veelk

Banned
Oh wow. My DMC 3142 artbook preorder has jumped from 13th August to January next year. Fuck that noise.

EDIT: Should have read the last page. D'oh. Anyway, here's this. It's nothing special, I just thought it looked pretty cool.

giphy.gif

I enjoy how he specifically unshealths his sword just so he can shealth it again.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jMFhwUbxjY

combo vid w/ the ladies that has a lot of cool stuff in it, including some trish tech that seems real interestin' (pandora JC->call roundtrip back causes continued roundtrip juggle while you still have sparda on you again?)

edit: whoa, jump canceling pandora laser causes some weird shit to happen! hm!
i also think this is why the pandora rockets are cancelable into each other- it's because you can cancel them into the pandora laser too- if you could do reverse laser easier then the weirdness this causes would be noticed a lot easier since it's braindead simple to reverse moves off pandora rockets. still having trouble doing reverse laser off lunar phase

edit2: made a quick 6sec video showing the weirdness, i still have no idea what on earth huangRS did to cause that state.. maybe positioning related to where the enemy is getting hit by the invisible beam but being locked in place rather than bouncing on it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBk_k166oLU

I feel like that might be it. Pandora beam isn't meant to be cancelled and has a set duration, so maybe the hitbox stays even if the beam itself is cancelled with an esc?

gunbo13

I feel like that might be it. Pandora beam isn't meant to be cancelled and has a set duration, so maybe the hitbox stays even if the beam itself is cancelled with an esc?
I think it is the round trip glitched. Look at how the enemy bounces, same as it would if round trip was active. If you look at Pandora beam juggle, usually more rapid bouncing. However, I would have to see Pandora hitting an enemy at the lowest hit-box to see if that is the same bounce as round trip.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think it is the round trip glitched. Look at how the enemy bounces, same as it would if round trip was active. If you look at Pandora beam juggle, usually more rapid bouncing. However, I would have to see Pandora hitting an enemy at the lowest hit-box to see if that is the same bounce as round trip.

That's definitely possible too. I figured that since it was the back end of a reverse beam that it might hit and juggle in an odd way.

Seyavesh

after an ungodly amount of training mode tryin to figure this out, i... think it's pandora spaced perfectly? the way the enemy juggles looks exactly like a round trip but i was able to get 'em to juggle very closely w/ a similar setup. but man, the way they juggle in that vid + the duration they juggle REALLY looks like round trip

when i went to re-record it i happened to find another glitch that is also pretty interesting- if you do a reverse v-divider and hit a standing enemy at the same time as the last hit of the reversed divider hits it launches them while they remain in a neutral state
even stranger is if you jump and hit them with anything they go flying even higher
it has to be standing and i'm pretty sure it has to be the reversed v-divider

i put it all together here:
https://youtu.be/yoKlrfdWTdk

but i fucked up the editing and left in like two seconds of me screwing up reverse divider lol

Golnei

Eva, Wonder-Red and Wonder-Blue are done. I eventually decided not to give Blue a full-length coat at all - all of the available options either animated terribly or ruined the silhouette; so I compromised with Nero's scarf.

4ev42ksgy.png
4ev3ajs2r.png
4ev2pusgf.png

410110llt3.png
410130lzlr.png

Speaking of which, did people do cool stuff with Bayonetta's 2's co-op? Never really looked into the combo video scene for that series.

Tag Climax's structure would probably be prohibitive - even on top of revisions to the overall game balance and role of Witch Time in 2; enemy and player health is further altered in co-op to favour shorter rounds. The lack of a co-op training mode would also make things difficult - you can't even play as 2 of the characters outside the mode itself, even in singleplayer.

Are Dante's combo's predetermined or are they randomly generated given the situation. I know you can cheese him but he did the most ridiculous combo to me in BP and killed me by taking nearly half my health off. I have never seen him do it before.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
after an ungodly amount of training mode tryin to figure this out, i... think it's pandora spaced perfectly? the way the enemy juggles looks exactly like a round trip but i was able to get 'em to juggle very closely w/ a similar setup. but man, the way they juggle in that vid + the duration they juggle REALLY looks like round trip

when i went to re-record it i happened to find another glitch that is also pretty interesting- if you do a reverse v-divider and hit a standing enemy at the same time as the last hit of the reversed divider hits it launches them while they remain in a neutral state
even stranger is if you jump and hit them with anything they go flying even higher
it has to be standing and i'm pretty sure it has to be the reversed v-divider

i put it all together here:
https://youtu.be/yoKlrfdWTdk

but i fucked up the editing and left in like two seconds of me screwing up reverse divider lol

It was either a bugged round trip or a bugged beam, and it looks like it's a bugged beam. That's pretty cool because it maintains the properties of the beam without keeping Trish stuck in animation. That's definitely a unique property.

Eva, Wonder-Red and Wonder-Blue are done. I eventually decided not to give Blue a full-length coat at all - all of the available options either animated terribly or ruined the silhouette; so I compromised with Nero's scarf.

Wow, those look really impressive. I kind of wish Capcom had included more Kyrie costumes, like how Lady's outfit changed in DMC3 based on Dante's costume.

Seyavesh

It was either a bugged round trip or a bugged beam, and it looks like it's a bugged beam. That's pretty cool because it maintains the properties of the beam without keeping Trish stuck in animation. That's definitely a unique property.

trish seems to have a lot of janky stuff in regards to her moves keeping properties that they shouldn't on JC- it's the main reason why i mostly play her since i'm looking for some crazy shit in the vein of that

getting reverse beam or lunar phase passthrough beam JC to hit right is really bizarrely hard, it's actually really irritating so i'm extra impressed by that combo- i usually can get the reverse or the passthrough beam now but i can't get them to hit more than like 20% of the time

also exploring the reverse divider launch, it looks like it won't launch unlaunchable enemies- this includes DTed up and armored enemies unfortunately so it makes the application pretty limited in terms of being able to go nuts with weirdo launches
moves that do launch/knockback take precedence over the glitch (i assume because it launches them while they remain neutral) so those won't work to trigger it

the easiest way to implement it in combos if you can is to do reverse divider -> immediate jump->lunar phase. it'll put them in the launch state since there's no knockback on the move's initial part- it launches them insanely high too- enough to get a bare knuckle combo B dash to combo them with

i couldn't get the timing down to see if it does anything on a launched opponent but i did figure out a pretty silly looking thing that would be neat in a combo, haha
grr7AxQ.gif

bonus postage stamp gif of lunar phase divider glitch
Ax0qDVU.gif

i just love the way enemies land in neutral already scootin' around and stuff, it's so graceful looking

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
http://www.twitch.tv/shinmaruku/
Trying to get some counters down. Give me some pointers dmc gaf.

What are you trying to counter? You're just fighting scarecrows as Super Nero?

bonus postage stamp gif of lunar phase divider glitch
Ax0qDVU.gif

i just love the way enemies land in neutral already scootin' around and stuff, it's so graceful looking

That's so awesome.

I'm glad because I was actually slightly concerned we weren't going to find anything really fresh or weird with her. The conductor round trip, phantom hitboxes, and odd drag/launch properties of v-divider seem promising.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Was trying to grab Belial as he charged me and I killed the thing too fast. But today I think I got to reflect Credo's spear throw. Slowly making progress.

If you stop using Super Nero, you won't kill things too fast. :p

Only seven Vergil entries? I thought there were at least 10 or so before the extension. lol, by the way, you called CrackPebbles "Vergil" in the poll.

Top Bottom