• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

I don't know what the distinction is between learning magic and gaining spells, but how was I supposed to know either way? I always prioritize magic in every RPG that gives me the choice, so now that I actually know the main character can't ever use magic I'll have to distribute the points accordingly.

He doesn't have a Magic command in battle.
The electronic instruction manual tells you he can't use magic.

Vamphuntr

Awww yeah, just Mystic Change'd (through Victor) one of my Dumb demons (Leprechaun) into a Dream Ticket. By trading it in to the bank you can get 400,000 yen. It takes a while to get the Ticket because of the low success rate though.

Right now I have 600k+ yen :)

Btw the savings you can get on the Compendium by changing to the lowest difficulty before buying backing demons is ridiculous. Bringing back my Leprechaun took 1700 MAG on the lowest setting compared to 8000+ on the normal difficulty.

Lowering the difficulty doesn't change the price of mitamas and elements though. You either pay up or sit down doing the same fusion again and again while watching tv or doing something else.

vall03

Lowering the difficulty doesn't change the price of mitamas and elements though. You either pay up or sit down doing the same fusion again and again while watching tv or doing something else.

Spending around 1k+ Mag to fuse two demons for an element is better than spending 10k+ directly on an Element or Mitama though. It was time consuming when I was trying to complete my Compendium, but it was worth it. Also didn't realize that higher difficulties changed the compendium prices. Guess I'll be sticking with the low difficulty.

FluxWaveZ

He doesn't have a Magic command in battle.
The electronic instruction manual tells you he can't use magic.

That's something I thought would have been added when he actually learned magic. Guess lack of experience with these games didn't make me think that not having the option initially meant that the option would never be there.

Guess I'll have to actually read a game manual for the first time in forever to avoid other circumstances like this where the player can screw themselves over.

Vamphuntr

Spending around 1k+ Mag to fuse two demons for an element is better than spending 10k+ directly on an Element or Mitama though. It was time consuming when I was trying to complete my Compendium, but it was worth it. Also didn't realize that higher difficulties changed the compendium prices. Guess I'll be sticking with the low difficulty.

Well yes that's why I said you need to do something else while doing it ;p I spent around 450k mags to fuse mitamas and max out my demons stats to beat the ex game and had to fuse elements manually since they are way too expensive in the compedium.

vall03

Well yes that's why I said you need to do something else while doing it ;p I spent around 450k mags to fuse mitamas and max out my demons stats to beat the ex game and had to fuse elements manually since they are way too expensive in the compedium.

Speaking of which, I still haven't touched Ex Game yet. Im actually afraid especially with the Game Over stories here and that you need near perfect demons to go through the place. And as much as I love the SMT series, the only ultimate boss I've ever beaten in any game is Margaret for a trophy and also at the lowest difficulty. Everything else, I failed and died miserably or outright not try to fight lol. But then again, I find going through the game again for a different ending to be much more appealing than going through a Bonus Dungeon.

That's something I thought would have been added when he actually learned magic. Guess lack of experience with these games didn't make me think that not having the option initially meant that the option would never be there.

Guess I'll have to actually read a game manual for the first time in forever to avoid other circumstances like this where the player can screw themselves over.

You have to understand it's a game from the nineties. It was an era when games actually came with instruction manuals they expected you to read before you play instead of ingame help and tutorials (SH's was seventy pages!).

Soriku

You don't have to stick with a difficulty. You can change the difficulty on the fly at any point, so basically I'd enter the Goumaden with the normal difficulty on, then before I actually buy anything I just tap the touch screen and switch the difficulty to the lowest setting. Once I'm done, I switch back.

I *think* (but I'm nto sure) that increasing the main character's magic stat adds to the damage he does with status weapons (guns and swords). However, yeah, I hear that it is really not beneficial to boost that stat over others.

Clov

Just completed the VR Haunted Mansion.
Erika was a pretty tough fight, and it was annoying how often she used that move that put away my demons. It would have been much harder if I didn't have a demon that reflected ice, though.

Soriku

Just completed the VR Haunted Mansion.
Erika was a pretty tough fight, and it was annoying how often she used that move that put away my demons. It would have been much harder if I didn't have a demon that reflected ice, though.

If you
put on the Insulated Clothes you got at the Warehouse
, your MC and Nemissa pretty much won't die.

Soulhouf

You don't have to stick with a difficulty. You can change the difficulty on the fly at any point, so basically I'd enter the Goumaden with the normal difficulty on, then before I actually buy anything I just tap the touch screen and switch the difficulty to the lowest setting. Once I'm done, I switch back.

That's part of the difficulty. You're cheating when you tone down to easy when you make purchases.
When I chose hard mode, I was expecting a full hard mode. It's part of the contract.

BTW I just checked the prices and the hard mode prices are at least 12 times more expensive than easy mode. I'm constantly low on yen and mag. Serious management is needed.

Hylian7

This boss of the VR Art Gallery:
Snappy
What The Fuck. I had to look up the solution online. Apparently I'm just oblivious.

Soriku

That's part of the difficulty. You're cheating when you tone down to easy when you make purchases.
When I chose hard mode, I was expecting a full hard mode. It's part of the contract.

BTW I just checked the prices and the hard mode prices are at least 12 times more expensive than easy mode. I'm constantly low on yen and mag. Serious management is needed.

Meh. I only really care about the difficulty in battles.

Though really, with how much money I have now (600k) I probably wouldn't have that much trouble either way. If you spend the time to get 1-2 Dream Tickets even on the hardest difficulty you should be fine. If not, just get more. Shouldn't take too long.

cj_iwakura

I hope the Devil Survivor 2 anime does well enough to get us a Devil Summoner anime. Let the real summoners show the kids how it's done.

What demon can I fuse at my level (31) that has INT at 10? I want to get this Scathach from the Pet Shop.

Nigi Mitama (level 25) will meet the requirements. Fuse together Sylph and Gnome. Sylph can be purchased from Nemechi or you can make one yourself by fusing together two Genma, Yoma, Beasts, or Divines. Gnome can be created by fusing together two Night, Fallen, Holy, Jirae or Brutes. (And by that I mean fuse two of the same clan together, ie Yoma x Yoma or Beast x Beast or Night x Night or Jirae x Jirae)

Ah, that sucks.

Oh, I was curious. Should I hold on to these Incense stat boosters or just use em?

They only work on Hero and Nemissa, so there's no reason to save 'em.

Totakeke

Has any of the SMT games had hard difficulties done right? It feels to me in this game more than any of the other ones, though it's kinda similar, that all harder difficulty does is to make the game more swingy. It doesn't really increase the difficulty as much as making you spend more time to get the demons necessary once you know the battle system and demon affinities down.

cj_iwakura

Has any of the SMT games had hard difficulties done right? It feels to me in this game more than any of the other ones, though it's kinda similar, that all harder difficulty does is to make the game more swingy. It doesn't really increase the difficulty as much as making you spend more time to get the demons necessary once you know the battle system and demon affinities down.

Define 'right'? They're all pretty much like that. Demons do more damage, you do less, everything costs WAY more.

Nigi Mitama (level 25) will meet the requirements. Fuse together Sylph and Gnome. Sylph can be purchased from Nemechi or you can make one yourself by fusing together two Genma, Yoma, Beasts, or Divines. Gnome can be created by fusing together two Night, Fallen, Holy, Jirae or Brutes. (And by that I mean fuse two of the same clan together, ie Yoma x Yoma or Beast x Beast or Night x Night or Jirae x Jirae)

Any for 25 luck?

If you consider Persona 2 Eternal Punishment as a hard mode version of Innocent Sin, sure. But in the more traditional sense of the term, no. It's pretty much all just "Everything hits you harder and you hit softer and everything costs more" stuff that really only serves to make things more tedious.

Totakeke

Define 'right'? They're all pretty much like that. Demons do more damage, you do less, everything costs WAY more.

Actually making the game more challenging instead of just making it more tedious. It could be also because hard difficulties are not hard enough?

That said, difficulty modes in RPGs are not that common and I don't know if any RPGs had well designed hard difficulties (aside TWEWY's risk/reward system and maybe SRPGs) either. SMT series are pretty challenging on default which is one of the great things about the series. But the hard difficulties doesn't really offer more of that challenge.

cj_iwakura

Actually making the game more challenging instead of just making it more tedious. It could be also because hard difficulties are not hard enough?

That said, difficulty modes in RPGs are not that common and I don't know if any RPGs had well designed hard difficulties (aside TWEWY's risk/reward system and maybe SRPGs) either. SMT series are pretty challenging on default which is one of the great things about the series. But the hard difficulties doesn't really offer more of that challenge.

Raidou 1 was certainly brutal on hard. You got hit, you were pretty much dead.

Esura

Banned

Ah, cool. I had a few Endurance and Luck ones that came in handy for the MC.

I was just going to attempt this and the Bifrons but now I'm
locked out of Paradigm X, Summoner Net, save terminals, and all that.

This game feels long.

People complaining about a Megatened deaths, man, it's the game freezes from single-target attack magic that's cost me real time. I've had 5 of them. I've never seen this in an Atlus game before.

I like the reminders of player responsibility SH brings; I like being treated like I'm adult.

Meh. I only really care about the difficulty in battles.

Though really, with how much money I have now (600k) I probably wouldn't have that much trouble either way. If you spend the time to get 1-2 Dream Tickets even on the hardest difficulty you should be fine. If not, just get more. Shouldn't take too long.

This is another reason why "difficulty on the fly" is a bad thing. We already have save scumming.

Esura

Banned
This is another reason why "difficulty on the fly" is a bad thing. We already have save scumming.

I haven't switched the difficulty much except to lower prices of the Compendium (thank you Soriku) but I like the option to be able to do so. Being able to save scum comes at the cost of two COMP install parts too although I haven't needed to take advantage of it yet. Nemissa spamming Zio/Mazio is my Get Out of Jail Free Card when it comes to bosses.

People complaining about a Megatened deaths, man, it's the game freezes from single-target attack magic that's cost me real time. I've had 5 of them. I've never seen this in an Atlus game before.

I like the reminders of player responsibility SH brings; I like being treated like I'm adult.

Am I just lucky? I only got 1 freeze in 42 hours at near the very beginning.

Soriku

Am I just lucky? I only got 1 freeze in 42 hours at near the very beginning.

I'm 27 hours in and haven't had a single freeze yet.

I'm OK with adjustable difficulty. I'll never put it down for battles but I don't give a crap about the Compendium.

Player responsibility is one thing, but making people look shit up (because there's basically one correct way to stat the PCs and no real way to know what it is in advance) is kind of dumb. Much rather have Nocturne with an MC that you can build the way you prefer.

wrowa

i don't see the problem with adjustable difficulty. it allows folks to play and enjoy the game the way they want to.

Yep, it's definitely a great thing in my book. Everyone should be able to play a game the way he enjoys it. Ideally, there should be incentives to play on harder difficulties when you are going for an adjustable difficulty (think TWEWY), but even if not, I prefer being able to switch to an easier or harder mode on the fly when I realize the game's too easy or too hard for my liking instead of having to start from scratch -- or just shelving the game in the worst case.

If someone wants to abuse the system, go for it. It's a single-player game, so it's everyone's own business how to play it.

BearChair

Personally, I do not have much gaming time right now. I really like being able to set the game to easy and make progress in a free hour before I have to put it down again. I got the game on release day and am about 15 hours in and uncovering password letters in the monolith.

I dig the game and am happy there is a difficulty slider.

I do wish that the save anywhere program was just available by default. Given the way I play, I really just want to be able to save and put the game down without taking up those two slots.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Personally, I do not have much gaming time right now. I really like being able to set the game to easy and make progress in a free hour before I have to put it down again. I got the game on release day and am about 15 hours in and uncovering password letters in the monolith.

I dig the game and am happy there is a difficulty slider.

I do wish that the save anywhere program was just available by default. Given the way I play, I really just want to be able to save and put the game down without taking up those two slots.

If you quit, it will do a suspended save and bring you right back to where you left off. However, once you load that suspended save, it deletes it.

I don't think I will ever understand why having adjustable difficulties or the ability to save anywhere is a detriment to an individual.

If you do not wish to take advantage of those features, you simply don't have to. No one is making you change the difficulty or save anywhere but terminals. And to deride person's that choose to do that is just silly.

The idea that a person would want to be able to save a portable game at any point to easily return to the game later shouldn't been seen as something derogatory.

But then again I've always thought that it should be "to each, his own". Oh well.

Back on topic; I've made some slight progress in my, seemingly never-ending, quest to destroy
King Frost
. I think it's time I start trying to fuse some different demons and seeing if I get better results.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm about 8 hours in and doing a bit of grinding and I'll be honest that I liberally use the save anywhere and difficulty hacks.

I'm not into losing all sorts of progress and getting pissed. I'm glad they are options for people. At some point I may stick with normal difficulty but you can pry my save anywhere hack from my cold, dead hands.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys, sorry to pop this thread up again considering I was the last one to post in it.

Recently I bought the Gulliver Magic software that is supported to restore health with each step in a dungeon but it isn't working after much testing.

Is this a known bug or something? It seems super useful!

Soulhouf

Hey guys, sorry to pop this thread up again considering I was the last one to post in it.

Recently I bought the Gulliver Magic software that is supported to restore health with each step in a dungeon but it isn't working after much testing.

Is this a known bug or something? It seems super useful!

It only works for the MC.

Ha ha ha, YES! Finally defeated
King Frost
my MC had high enough agility that I was able to use a physical mirror to reflect Last Resort right back in his stupid face.

Hopefully the rest of the
Corridor of Time
bosses are a bit easier.....

cj_iwakura

I'm at the final dungeon, but no Mary sidequest. :( I kept talking to her and everything!

Also, Sea Ark's bottom floors open up in post game I guess?

Alex

Adjustable difficulty is awesome and more games need it. Games should go through a normal tuning process, which creates that normal setting, then they should have a mode for casual tourists and a mode overtuned for the more challenge inclined. This should be standard in the bulk of games, at least where it makes sense.

Some people may not like it, but it is in my opinion that these people are crazy. Whatever detriment you feel it creates I'd have had a fair chunk of games saved for me if I could actually wring some challenge out of them.

I don't think I will ever understand why having adjustable difficulties or the ability to save anywhere is a detriment to an individual.

If you do not wish to take advantage of those features, you simply don't have to. No one is making you change the difficulty or save anywhere but terminals. And to deride person's that choose to do that is just silly.

The idea that a person would want to be able to save a portable game at any point to easily return to the game later shouldn't been seen as something derogatory.

But then again I've always thought that it should be "to each, his own". Oh well.

Back on topic; I've made some slight progress in my, seemingly never-ending, quest to destroy
King Frost
. I think it's time I start trying to fuse some different demons and seeing if I get better results.

Thank goodness no one has!

Adjustable difficulty is awesome and more games need it. Games should go through a normal tuning process, which creates that normal setting, then they should have a mode for casual tourists and a mode overtuned for the more challenge inclined.

Some people may not like it, but these people are crazy. Whatever detriment you feel it creates I'd have had a fair chunk of games saved for me if I could actually wring some challenge out of them.

That normal tuning process gets weakened with this, and proper tuning is already an afterthought as is. You using "overtuned" as what makes a hard mode harder isn't doing that reality any favors.

Hell, how often do we see games try a thoughtful, functional version like TWEWY or Bastion? Very few. Just a "chicken-out button" for when things get tough or to game things. Less "crazy", more "nuanced".

Top Bottom