• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

Soriku

It's a type of demon personality (the one that affects negotiations, not the one they have once they join you). They are very few: Mokoi, Sandman and a couple of other demons.

Yeah it seems for demons like that you can actually play one of two minigames during negotiation.

Soulhouf

I'm playing with hard hack (the only hack I used) and some places/battles are becoming a bitch now. I just beat the auto plant dungeon (spoiler ahead)
woah, who had the big idea to give Muramasa a French accent? Not only a French accent, he is literally speaking French lol

spiritfox

Ok seriously Erika? How the hell do you manage to freeze me every time? And how the hell does Mudola land every single time? God.

edit: Finally. Had to use my leftover Insulated Clothes all the way from the warehouse. That was annoying as hell.

Link1110

I'm in the monolith now. I won't lose what tiles I've turned and stuff if I leave, right? I'm running short on bullets.

cj_iwakura

So for anyone(hi Shidoshi) who thought Beta was an offensive caricature, you may find this interesting, from an Atlus staff member

A gay character shouldn't have to be fuh-laaaaaay-ming in order to simply exist. The problem with a lot of games is that you simply don't know anything about NPCs unless they're fairly well-developed. They exist in a personality vacuum.

Much of Beta's regrettable characterization stems from the fact that Soul Hackers is a Japanese product from the '80s, and "homosexual" was simply a punchline in that culture back then. Even then, in editing his dialogue now for the new release, we didn't write Beta as "flamboyantly predatory," instead seeing him as openly out. He's got a job in the entertainment industry (and he's also a brilliant hacker), and his teasing of the main character isn't sexual predation but a way for him to tell the world around him that he's not going to hide. Granted, since you only talk to them for maybe ten minutes in the game, you probably won't get that, but it certainly wasn't our intention for him to be harmful.

Also, Alpha is gay as well, which seems to have slipped past unnoticed. The two of them are a comedy duo, in which Beta plays the wacky one and Alpha the straight man (pardon the pun). Beta is funny, and Beta is gay, but that doesn't mean that gay == funny.

I honestly had no idea Alpha was also gay.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just finished the haunted house dungeon. Man that was fucking awesome. Favorite dungeon so far.

The atmosphere in this game is so good.

Little help please....

I'm at the Algon Microelectronic dungeon; having terrible difficulties with the boss. My character, Nemissa and Zeed are all level 47 and should be good to go. However, I cannot summon the right demon mix to my team to kill off the boss - i get wiped out quick.

Can someone advice me on techniques and the best demons to summon for the Algon Microelectronic boss battle?

cj_iwakura

Little help please....

I'm at the Algon Microelectronic dungeon; having terrible difficulties with the boss. My character, Nemissa and Zeed are all level 47 and should be good to go. However, I cannot summon the right demon mix to my team to kill off the boss - i get wiped out quick.

Can someone advice me on the best demons to summon for the Algon Microelectronic boss battle?

Do you have a demon with Rakukaja and Sukukaja/nda? It'll help a LOT.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Is there a good Beginner's Guide somewhere? Can't believe this doesn't come with a decent instruction manual.

Luckily I've played Strange Journey, so I'm not totally lost, but it's been sort of hit-and-miss so far for me, just beat that Freezer Warehouse level. Like, what's the point of Paradigm X, is it just mini-games to earn some extra cash?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Is there a good Beginner's Guide somewhere? Can't believe this doesn't come with a decent instruction manual.

Luckily I've played Strange Journey, so I'm not totally lost, but it's been sort of hit-and-miss so far for me, just beat that Freezer Warehouse level. Like, what's the point of Paradigm X, is it just mini-games to earn some extra cash?

There's a manual [digital] and it explain things pretty well.

As for Paradigm X, it's like a mini-hub for some mini games, talking to people, etc. but you will also be going there for story related purposes.

Little help please....

Can someone advice me on techniques and the best demons to summon for the Algon Microelectronic boss battle?

Holy Byakko (level 40): Fuse Fairy Leprechaun and Beast Kaso together to get it and that way it should inherit Makarakarn. It'll also be fast enough to cast Makarakarn before the boss gets a chance to attack.
Avatar Genbu (level 43): Has both Rakukaja and Tarunda. Stack both four times to really put a damper on that boss's damage output.
Enigma Kinmamon (level 42): Has Judgment, which will knock off huge chunks of the boss's HP. Fusing him is a bit tricky: You have to perform a fusion on your COMP during a New Moon. One of the fusion components must be a God-race demon (Deity, Megami, Enigma, Zealot and Entity all work). You'll need to have the Copernicus software installed as well (you can obtain Copernicus by turning in a Megami Fortuna at the Pet Shop) to guarantee an accident. Save before you perform the fusion, because the result will be a random Enigma. Keep trying until you get Kinmamon.
Divine Virtue (level 44): Is extremely resistant to magic and has Zionga and Sukukaja. Casting Sukukaja four times should be your priority, then follow it up with Zionga.

Also make sure you have a team member who can cast Media/rama.

I got a Pixie with Megidolaon, and I don't seem be able to pass its Megidolaon to anything, any tips?

there's not much you can do with it.
pixie x foul night stalker = haunt obariyon w/megidolaon
haunt obariyon (w/megidolaon) x haunt vetala x foul mad gasser = foul shadow w/megidolaon (lvl 53)

i mean i guess you could stick it on your zoma if you wanted, or you could try and stick it on demons that nemechi sells. pretty much anything that's "new" to the game (ie isn't an alternate design for demons already in the game) has almighty inheritance so.

Saibastian

Neo Member

I think you should be good if you played Strange Journey, only real significant difference is the maintaining of mag, make sure you always run around with one demon in your party, or two max. A full party will drain the hell out of your mag.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think you should be good if you played Strange Journey, only real significant difference is the maintaining of mag, make sure you always run around with one demon in your party, or two max. A full party will drain the hell out of your mag.

Yeah, I ran into the problem already, didn't realize I was being drained of it constantly.

I've evened out a bit thanks to the first Boss, and now I'm going pretty steady with two Fused Demons.

Is there any in-game "Demon Dex" that explains what mythology each Demon stems from? I enjoyed that in Strange Journey since it's fun to find out where each Demon comes from.

Saibastian

Neo Member
Yeah, I ran into the problem already, didn't realize I was being drained of it constantly.

I've evened out a bit thanks to the first Boss, and now I'm going pretty steady with two Fused Demons.

Is there any in-game "Demon Dex" that explains what mythology each Demon stems from? I enjoyed that in Strange Journey since it's fun to find out where each Demon comes from.
I heard someone say its in the compendium and left on the nub I believe.
Edit: My mistake its actually right on the nub twice.

Hylian7

The VR Art Gallery dungeon was kind of annoying, especially in the Ghost Waterfall painting. You have to talk to all the old men, talk to them all again, and then talk to them all AGAIN until you find out which one is lying! I know there's a logic to it the third time, but there's no way to get out of talking to all of them the first two times. Who thought that was a good dungeon design?!

The VR Art Gallery dungeon was kind of annoying, especially in the Ghost Waterfall painting. You have to talk to all the old men, talk to them all again, and then talk to them all AGAIN until you find out which one is lying! I know there's a logic to it the third time, but there's no way to get out of talking to all of them the first two times. Who thought that was a good dungeon design?!

The nineties.

actually, it sucked back then too. the real purpose of that section is for you to grind up a ton of MAG.

Be thankful that Strange Area lets you use a map.

Hylian7

The nineties.

actually, it sucked back then too. the real purpose of that section is for you to grind up a ton of MAG.

Be thankful that Strange Area lets you use a map.

I didn't even think about how bad Strange Area would be with no map. Oh man, that sounds terrible.

Do you have a demon with Rakukaja and Sukukaja/nda? It'll help a LOT.

Holy Byakko (level 40): Fuse Fairy Leprechaun and Beast Kaso together to get it and that way it should inherit Makarakarn. It'll also be fast enough to cast Makarakarn before the boss gets a chance to attack.
Avatar Genbu (level 43): Has both Rakukaja and Tarunda. Stack both four times to really put a damper on that boss's damage output.
Enigma Kinmamon (level 42): Has Judgment, which will knock off huge chunks of the boss's HP. Fusing him is a bit tricky: You have to perform a fusion on your COMP during a New Moon. One of the fusion components must be a God-race demon (Deity, Megami, Enigma, Zealot and Entity all work). You'll need to have the Copernicus software installed as well (you can obtain Copernicus by turning in a Megami Fortuna at the Pet Shop) to guarantee an accident. Save before you perform the fusion, because the result will be a random Enigma. Keep trying until you get Kinmamon.
Divine Virtue (level 44): Is extremely resistant to magic and has Zionga and Sukukaja. Casting Sukukaja four times should be your priority, then follow it up with Zionga.

Also make sure you have a team member who can cast Media/rama.

Thanks for the tips guys... managed to knock off this boss with defensive magic tactics from the recommended demon party.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I just got to the point where
You find that Nemissa can now physically enter Paradigm X
and the story is really picking up. I'm having a good time and it doesn't seem too obtuse considering when the game came out.

I'm totally stoked to be able to save anywhere now :D

Busaiku

Alright, just got through it.
It was ok, though the longer dungeons really drag it down.

I could not stand Haunted House and Amami Monolith.
At least the last dungeon was a nice break after that monstrosity.

I don't understand the point of the avatar character at all.
He might as well not have been in it and I would not have noticed it.

Totakeke

Amami Monolith made me finally use repel items. Horrible dungeon design with all the required backtracking.

Finished the game once and it was kinda disappointing. They could easily made the game twice as long (with actual interesting dungeons) with the story they were going and the setting was great. Clocked more than 27 hours and I wasn't aware I was playing on hard mode until 1/3rd way through and stuck with it anyway. With that it had the usual bullshit gameovers from certain mobs so I always used the save anywhere software. That probably also trivialized the game to an extent.

I'd like to see a sequel (or prequel, tons of places that could be expanded on), with a variant of TWEWY's difficulty scalar in the game. They already have it halfway in there and with the hacker setting it's easily explained as well.

Totakeke

Well it's definitely not like SJ. The demon and battle system is kinda obtuse at start but there's a certain way you're supposed to play it and once you learn it it's okay.

Though it will be always maddening that you don't know what skills do until you have the demon summoned in a battle to use that skill. Never played much of the early SMT games, but you definitely appreciate how much more they streamlined the skills in the more recent games.

Well it's definitely not like SJ. The demon and battle system is kinda obtuse at start but there's a certain way you're supposed to play it and once you learn it it's okay.

Though it will be always maddening that you don't know what skills do until you have the demon summoned in a battle to use that skill. Never played much of the early SMT games, but you definitely appreciate how much more they streamlined the skills in the more recent games.

Well, that still sounds rad.
I actually really like how they improved the skill mechanic on the Persona/Devil Survivor games, but the SMT skill system is A-OK with me, too.

Thanks, man!

Soulhouf

Amami Monolith made me finally use repel items. Horrible dungeon design with all the required backtracking.

Finished the game once and it was kinda disappointing. They could easily made the game twice as long (with actual interesting dungeons) with the story they were going and the setting was great. Clocked more than 27 hours and I wasn't aware I was playing on hard mode until 1/3rd way through and stuck with it anyway. With that it had the usual bullshit gameovers from certain mobs so I always used the save anywhere software. That probably also trivialized the game to an extent.

I'd like to see a sequel (or prequel, tons of places that could be expanded on), with a variant of TWEWY's difficulty scalar in the game. They already have it halfway in there and with the hacker setting it's easily explained as well.

Haha I got over 10 game over in that dungeon but I refuse to use the save anywhere feature.

Got ambushed -> entire team charmed -> MC commit seppuku -> GAME OVER.
At least 30 minutes of progression lost.
I love the old school feel of this game <3

Totakeke

No problem. The game is definitely a unique experience so it's definitely worth playing in that sense. :p

Since the information in English for this game is so scarce, here's some gamefaqs threads that I found really helpful. Helped me fuse a demon that basically made the story end bosses a joke without me planning for it.

Skill inheritance and skill types
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997805-shin-megami-tensei-devil-summoner-soul-hackers/66044330

Hero, General, Entity, and Zealot fusion
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997805-shin-megami-tensei-devil-summoner-soul-hackers/66039641

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
No problem. The game is definitely a unique experience so it's definitely worth playing in that sense. :p

Since the information in English for this game is so scarce, here's some gamefaqs threads that I found really helpful. Helped me fuse a demon that basically made the story end bosses a joke without me planning for it.

Skill inheritance and skill types
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997805-shin-megami-tensei-devil-summoner-soul-hackers/66044330

Hero, General, Entity, and Zealot fusion
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997805-shin-megami-tensei-devil-summoner-soul-hackers/66039641

Yeah, I had to hit up Gamefaqs because I couldn't figure out what the green flashing meant, I thought it was poison or something. Boy, did I feel stupid!

OK, I've now lost to
King Frost
for the umpteenth time. I'm so angry. As soon as he's almost dead he does his last resort thing that effectively wipes out my party. It doesn't matter if I've you a physical mirror item or if I've cast Tetrakarn. Nothing seems to be able to nullify last resort. Is there something I'm missing?

Totakeke

Funny, I just had the same thing happened to me just now and I quit the game thinking that next time I just needed to use Tetrakarn. Good thing you saved me that effort. :)

Funny, I just had the same thing happened to me just now and I quit the game thinking that next time I just needed to use Tetrakarn. Good thing you saved me that effort. :)

I feel like I used the tetrakarn in another boss battle against someone who was using last resort, maybe
tiamat
, regardless of who ever the boss was I feel like it worked that time. Maybe it does work in this fight, I'm just not able to cast it fast enough.

Saibastian

Neo Member
OK, I've now lost to
King Frost
for the umpteenth time. I'm so angry. As soon as he's almost dead he does his last resort thing that effectively wipes out my party. It doesn't matter if I've you a physical mirror item or if I've cast Tetrakarn. Nothing seems to be able to nullify last resort. Is there something I'm missing?
You need a demon with high agility. Kartikeya should do the trick. But Tetrakarn is the answer, you weren't wrong.

FluxWaveZ

I'm 3-4 hours in and this game's more difficult than I was anticipating. Similar question's probably been asked, but did I mess up by putting the main character's first 8 stat points into magic?

Finished the game once and it was kinda disappointing. They could easily made the game twice as long (with actual interesting dungeons) with the story they were going and the setting was great....

just cleared the auto plant, &, yeah. while the story & characters are fine, & the setting's great, this game just continues to feel off to me, & hell if i know why :) . you might be right, it might just be the dungeon design. for me, the inability to level up demons doesn't help either. whatever. & i also agree that, despite my problems with it, at the same time there's the foundation there for a much longer game. i mean, the story's actually interesting...

so fucking weird :) ...

Soulhouf

Fantastic! I'd complain that it's a design flaw to let the players do that without any warning, but guess the game's oldschool for a reason. Now I gotta decide if I'm gonna restart or not.

Even if he could learn magic, as long as he doesn't have spells, why would you put points into magic?

Anyway, I recommend prioritize putting points into En (to be able to take a few hits before dying) and Ag (to increase evasion, speed and accuracy) before St. That's the only stats you should increase.

FluxWaveZ

Even if he could learn magic, as long as he doesn't have spells, why would you put points into magic?

Anyway, I recommend prioritize putting points into En (to be able to take a few hits before dying) and Ag (to increase evasion, speed and accuracy) before St. That's the only stats you should increase.

I don't know what the distinction is between learning magic and gaining spells, but how was I supposed to know either way? I always prioritize magic in every RPG that gives me the choice, so now that I actually know the main character can't ever use magic I'll have to distribute the points accordingly.

Soriku

Awww yeah, just Mystic Change'd (through Victor) one of my Dumb demons (Leprechaun) into a Dream Ticket. By trading it in to the bank you can get 400,000 yen. It takes a while to get the Ticket because of the low success rate though.

Right now I have 600k+ yen :)

Btw the savings you can get on the Compendium by changing to the lowest difficulty before buying backing demons is ridiculous. Bringing back my Leprechaun took 1700 MAG on the lowest setting compared to 8000+ on the normal difficulty.

Soulhouf

I don't know what the distinction is between learning magic and gaining spells, but how was I supposed to know either way? I always prioritize magic in every RPG that gives me the choice, so now that I actually know the main character can't ever use magic I'll have to distribute the points accordingly.

You can't completely screw up your MC anyway. You'll just end up with a non optimized build.
Most of the MC in the classic Megami Tensei games don't use magic, although in SMTII, despite that, you're required to increase at least your In to progress in the story. A moron can't become a hero after all.

@Soriku: in hard difficulty they cost at lot more, but I'm sticking with it.

Top Bottom