• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

Zornica

Banned

NeonZ

Zeed? never heard of him. Or do you mean the Zoma fusion? Haven't tried that yet...

Zeed is the Zoma's default name(the player can rename it). Its stats and skills depend on what you fuse with him, and you can keep fusing stronger demons with it to make it stronger or demons with useful skills to give those skills to it.

Zornica

Banned
damn... that guy is tough (manitou)... Is there any way to break silence? or do I have to beat him entirely without any magic?

cj_iwakura

easier said than done...
how should I do that exactly?

Bit late for that now, I suppose... but you should have high Agility.

Alternatively, you could hope he doesn't use it. When I beat him, he rarely used that stupid skill. It's largely a question of how much the RNG hates you.

Did you fight Tiamat during Naomi's Vision Quest? The ideal strategy depends on whether you're fighting the Physical or Magical version.

Zornica

Banned
I can't remember... I fought the one on the right. what was he called... atsu? something like that

the rng seems to hate me T_T.

cj_iwakura

For what it's worth, this game has a genuinely enjoyable ending, so you will feel like you've being rewarded unlike the usual SMT.

Zornica

Banned
For what it's worth, this game has a genuinely enjoyable ending, so you will feel like you've being rewarded unlike the usual SMT.

wait a sec... are you telling me that this is the final boss?
but there are like level 70 demons?

I guess I don't want to hear the answer to that, I'll find out soon enough.

edit: I guess it's not manitou? according to the lower screen the demon is called Malsum

Zornica

Banned
damn... the last dungeon is draging on forever...
I've entered both passwords for the lower areas and just completed the left upper... but lunch still tells me that the pw upstairs is twin. do I need to enter both (left and right upstairs), before something happens? I don't want to go up there again -_- too many random encounters and all of them take forever.

Amami Monolith is definitely a lengthy dungeon. It's not the worst that SMT's dished out to players, but it's up there. Plus, throw's you off a bit since the dungeons in Soul Hackers are on the easy side until then.

Am I weird for not using the Back-Upper App? It's a nice feature especially as a portable SMT, but I thought there were just enough other useful apps (don't have my game with me atm so I'm forgetting what I used) that I could stick to the terminals.

I need to get back to this game. I stopped when I got to the
Bonus Jack Frost fight.

Soriku

damn... the last dungeon is draging on forever...
I've entered both passwords for the lower areas and just completed the left upper... but lunch still tells me that the pw upstairs is twin. do I need to enter both (left and right upstairs), before something happens? I don't want to go up there again -_- too many random encounters and all of them take forever.

Use Repulse Water/Estoma.

I ran through most of that dungeon without fighting.

Zornica

Banned
yeah, just beat
leader
how many "surprise I AM THE BAD GUY!"- bosses are there going to be?
should be like 2 left?

edit: the giant mushroom is dead - after trolling me hard twice. the fight took like 2 hours but it's finally done.
overall I spent 33:42 hours with the game according to the ingame timer. 41:19 according to the activity log. seems like I wasted about 8 hours with being dead.

now that I'm finished, could somebody tell me how this game is different from other smt games?

Tizoc

OK I'm about to start this game later today on my 3DS and want to know:
1- Are there any missable stuff Ineed to make note of/
2- What're the best demons to catch and fuse, etc.

EDIT: OK how am I supposed to play this? I lost one of my demons on the very first battle and don't know how to revive him...

Been playing this the last few weeks, I'm up to Amami Monolith atm so I must be nearing the end of the game? About 30 hours in. Music is too good.

EDIT: OK how am I supposed to play this? I lost one of my demons on the very first battle and don't know how to revive him...

You revive it with a revival bead or Recarm if you have that spell, once you pick them just scroll right to the demons in your comp and you should see it.

Tizoc

OK I'll make a note of that thanks. I take it I should aim to fuse my demons rather then level them up but what're the recommended demons to have to make the game less tedious?

NeonZ

Aside from the items mentioned above, one of the shops in the building with the item store heals them, IIRC. You can exchange magnetite for money too there.

Demons don't even level up in Soul Hackers. Anyway, Nemissa actually becomes pretty strong by herself. I focused mostly on melee weapons and str with the mc and he also was pretty decent, aside from some bosses strong against physical attacks. You'll also get a special demon later that doesn't require magnetite. During most of the game, I played just with those three, only summoning more for boss battles, or to increase their loyalty.

Because this game is on sale for $15 on eShop, I've been contemplating picking this up. I am quite fond of cyberpunk settings, so this should be right up my alley. However, I have a bad track record of sticking with dungeon crawlers, and also SMT games, having played less than five hours each of SMT II and both parts of Persona 2. Does this game start out fast? I want to be hooked early on so I lose don't interest after the intro.

cj_iwakura

Because this game is on sale for $15 on eShop, I've been contemplating picking this up. I am quite fond of cyberpunk settings, so this should be right up my alley. However, I have a bad track record of sticking with dungeon crawlers, and also SMT games, having played less than five hours each of SMT II and both parts of Persona 2. Does this game start out fast? I want to be hooked early on so I lose interest after the intro.

It hits the ground running.

cj_iwakura

Guess this is relevant to interests here.

There's a script for DS1 now.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7m4xtco010b4ikv/Devil+Summoner+Translated+Scenario+#1.doc

The rest is at SMTG, and a hack is in the works for the PSP version.

The game is excessively unfair, but it has a good story. Personally it drove me nuts, and this is from a guy who enjoys SMT1.

It's just way too clunky.

devsum-2.jpg

I legitimately dig the atmosphere, though.

Soulhouf

Guess this is relevant to interests here.

There's a script for DS1 now.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7m4xtco010b4ikv/Devil+Summoner+Translated+Scenario+#1.doc

The rest is at SMTG, and a hack is in the works for the PSP version.

The game is excessively unfair, but it has a good story. Personally it drove me nuts, and this is from a guy who enjoys SMT1.

It's just way too clunky.

devsum-2.jpg

I legitimately dig the atmosphere, though.

Agreed, the atmosphere and story are top notch. It's bit clunky but it has its charm and I like it.
I'm planning to replay this game soon. I already beat it back then on Saturn and I heard that the PSP version has some problems. Do you confirm? It will be much easier to me to play it on PSP especially now it's summer (I own both versions).

Koriandrr

I have a confession to make.

I'm a huge fan of SMT titles, especially III (Nocturne) and Persona series, but I've never gotten into Devil Summoner. I'm 120% sure I'll like it, but I have no idea where to start.

What's your recommended playing order?

Soulhouf

I have a confession to make.

I'm a huge fan of SMT titles, especially III (Nocturne) and Persona series, but I've never gotten into Devil Summoner. I'm 120% sure I'll like it, but I have no idea where to start.

What's your recommended playing order?

I recommend Soul Hackers.
It has some cameos to the first Devil Summoner and the 3DS version has an extra content related to the PS2 games but that's the only connection. The story is standalone and you can play it without knowing the other games.

vocab

Beat it. Pretty easy game overall. I guess it really is "my first smt" or "my first dungeon crawler."

Things I hate about the game.

Comp apps. Useless. The lack of space is what really kills it. waste a space for to show the time? GET OUT OF HERE ATLUS.
Sword fusion useless.
No press turn.
Dislike the whole zoma/zeed thing.
Dislike that puzzle where you have to run without touching a wall. Horrible.

Soulhouf

Sword fusion useless.

That's not true at all.
Actually one of the best weapons in the game made via sword fusion.
Try mitama-buff a demon before fusing it with a sword and you'll see.

Also complaining about the absence of press turn is unfair.

Beat it. Pretty easy game overall. I guess it really is "my first smt" or "my first dungeon crawler."

Things I hate about the game.

Comp apps. Useless. The lack of space is what really kills it. waste a space for to show the time? GET OUT OF HERE ATLUS.
Sword fusion useless.
No press turn.
Dislike the whole zoma/zeed thing.
Dislike that puzzle where you have to run without touching a wall. Horrible.

Agreed with Zoma/Zeed thing. He always died after a couple of rounds. Beat the story but do not feel any need to play the post-game.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I beat it without Zoma/Zeed, but I'm wierd like that.

It's one of the best JRPGs of gen 5, and that is some exclusive company.

Nice. This will also put give me the Club Nintendo coins I need to redeem the game I want, so it's a win all around! Lol.

I have so many Shin Megami games to play, though.

Just finished it. Enjoyed it quite a bit. The 90's cyberpunk/hacker atmosphere had me really nostalgic.
Between this and Strange Journey I think I prefer first-person SMT, just feels so fast and carefree to move through the dungeons.
Found it a bit too easy though. Had it on auto-repeat for most of the time fighting Manitou (I did have a pretty great team.).

Are the extra dungeons worth going through? Considerably harder? Debating whether I should move on to SMT IV or go for full completion.

cj_iwakura

Just finished it. Enjoyed it quite a bit. The 90's cyberpunk/hacker atmosphere had me really nostalgic.
Between this and Strange Journey I think I prefer first-person SMT, just feels so fast and carefree to move through the dungeons.
Found it a bit too easy though. Had it on auto-repeat for most of the time fighting Manitou (I did have a pretty great team.).

Are the extra dungeons worth going through? Considerably harder? Debating whether I should move on to SMT IV or go for full completion.

The dungeons are easy, the bosses... ow. Most of them go down fast, but Raidou? You're gonna hurt.

Sorry for bumping, but since it's on sale (again) in NA for the measly sum of $14.99, I figure there are a bunch of new Soul Hackers that grabbed it today.

I'm intensely excited about finally playing this on a New 3DSXL, this port is a dream come true for me. Now if only I could grab Strange Journey from the eShop.. oh Nintendo..

cj_iwakura

Sorry for bumping, but since it's on sale (again) in NA for the measly sum of $14.99, I figure there are a bunch of new Soul Hackers that grabbed it today.

I'm intensely excited about finally playing this on a New 3DSXL, this port is a dream come true for me. Now if only I could grab Strange Journey from the eShop.. oh Nintendo..
Does it sound any better on the 3DSXL? I still have my lowly Midnight Purple.

wilflare

I already have the physical but man the sale is making me wanna have a portable (digital) Atlus collection

cj_iwakura

Just started this myself, anyone recommend a good guide that also helps with stat builds?

There's some good guides on GameFAQs, but the game's pretty open in regards to builds. The main character can't use magic, so you're best off focusing on Strength or Agility(I'd say the second since buffs can easily cover the first).

squadr0n

There's some good guides on GameFAQs, but the game's pretty open in regards to builds. The main character can't use magic, so you're best off focusing on Strength or Agility(I'd say the second since buffs can easily cover the first).

Ive read a few places to only focus on magic with my main character so he can end up being able to wear so sort of special armor. Is this true, and if so is it worth it?

cj_iwakura

Ive read a few places to only focus on magic with my main character so he can end up being able to wear so sort of special armor. Is this true, and if so is it worth it?

Interesting. And I'd say no, but I'm not familiar with the armor. Magic is a wasted state on the MC.

Top Bottom