• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

whoa.

are there literally 7 versions of jack frost ?

strawberry, lemon, etc ???

in this game there is Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, Black Frost, King Frost (Boss only), Milk Frost, Melon Frost, Lemon Frost, Blue Hawaii Frost, Strawberry Frost, Frost Five, DB Busters, and Lucifer Frost in Soul Hackers.

I JUST GOT FUCKING MUDOONED. THANK YOU SOUL HACKERS. THANK YOU NERGAL. I LOST LIKE TWO HOURS OF GRINDING.

Megatened!

You know what's funny? Atlus USA must have really spiced it up, because Tom(the fan translation's writer) said the conversations were exceedingly dull and he wanted to keep that intact.

I'm glad Atlus USA got to do it.

Quite possibly the best in the biz, and they may be getting even better.

Soulhouf

You know what's funny? Atlus USA must have really spiced it up, because Tom(the fan translation's writer) said the conversations were exceedingly dull and he wanted to keep that intact.

I'm glad Atlus USA got to do it.

Yeah Atlus USA really did a great job.
But I wonder if the Japanese version of the 3DS remake didn't have some change in that regard.
I remember playing the Japanese version of Strange Journey and it had so jokes like that in demon negotiation.

cj_iwakura

Yeah Atlus USA really did a great job.
But I wonder if the Japanese version of the 3DS remake didn't have some change in that regard.
I remember playing the Japanese version of Strange Journey and it had so jokes like that in demon negotiation.

Possibly. I beat Soul Hackers in Japanese(Saturn version), and I can confirm the responses did seem very simple.

He's a pretty good support demon. He takes a while to get if you have no play coins though...

Get shaking then! And bounce back and forth between days to keep accumulating coins like nuts. (I can't do that anymore due to a digital copy of New Leaf. I like my neighbors and flowers)

cj_iwakura

It's nice to know that Finnegan's so popular.

1Tyxzib.jpg

Bonus:

3nb2yTt.jpg

Finalow

I just discovered this.
悪魔全書, if I'm not mistaken it's basically a super detailed demon compendium, sold separately. (saturn version)
really cool.

cj_iwakura

I just discovered this.
悪魔全書, if I'm not mistaken it's basically a super detailed demon compendium, sold separately. (saturn version)
really cool.

Yep, it's also where the boss art of Victor at his table with a pipe comes from.
sh.png

I'd buy it, would complement my Saturn copy nicely.

Ok now that I got my Izanami, I was thinking of grinding to 85 for Shiva and stuff, but since the level limit is removed on NG+ I dont think its even worth it atm. Is there any important things I should do before moving on to cycle 2?

Ok now that I got my Izanami, I was thinking of grinding to 85 for Shiva and stuff, but since the level limit is removed on NG+ I dont think its even worth it atm. Is there any important things I should do before moving on to cycle 2?

did you know? You can fuse shiva using three demons found in the first dungeon.

Is it worth doing that post-game dungeons? You have to do the whole thing without saving right?
Any other difference in NG+ besides no level limitation to fuse demons?

Is it worth doing that post-game dungeons? You have to do the whole thing without saving right?

You have to do one of the post game dungeons to unlock New Game + (load your game after you beat the last boss to access it) , but you can save and do whatever in it. The one you access from the start menu (it's listed as "Extra Game") is kind of a massive waste of time, you can't save and you get no reward for completing it.

NG+ has a new ending, but whether or not you want to play through again to see it is up to you.

cj_iwakura

The dungeons have some fun puzzles, and more voice acted bosses. I couldn't get past Kyouji, though.

You have to do one of the post game dungeons to unlock New Game + (load your game after you beat the last boss to access it) , but you can save and do whatever in it. The one you access from the start menu (it's listed as "Extra Game") is kind of a massive waste of time, you can't save and you get no reward for completing it.

NG+ has a new ending, but whether or not you want to play through again to see it is up to you.

The dungeons have some fun puzzles, and more voice acted bosses. I couldn't get past Kyouji, though.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I was talking about the one you access from the menu.
Didn't know about the new ending.

Just had a tpical Megaten moment with the first boss of the post-game dungeon. When I finished him off the son of a bitch used last resort and killed me. Should've seen it coming. I was at full health but I guess I had to guard to survive that.

NeonZ

Just had a tpical Megaten moment with the first boss of the post-game dungeon. When I finished him off the son of a bitch used last resort and killed me. Should've seen it coming. I was at full health but I guess I had to guard to survive that.

I only got past it after using some Mitamas to boost the speed of a demon with Tetrakarn (It was a Fenrir, IIRC), and just Tetrakarn-ing King Frost's last resort. In fact, that Fenrir, which also had Mararakarn, pretty much allowed me to beat most extra bosses fairly easily.

I'm serious when I say this is my GOTY.

I would have laughed you out of the room but I played this about a month ago and it is secretly my (handheld) GOTY. Such a good game on so many levels... The Wonderful 101 is still my overall GOTY... But damn if it wasn't for this being on the Saturn before W101 would have been dethroned.

kiriin

Was never a big fan Kaneko's character design in persona but I'm amazed at how good it is in Soul Hacker, fits the cyberpunk theme very nicely.

I started playing this game after taking a break from SMTIV (my first SMT), and I'm having a lot of fun. A lot of people say that Soul Hackers is archaic but it seems like a simpler version of SMTIV.

I'm in the museum (science?) right now and I just realized walking around costs mag, and I just converted all my mag to money. I don't know what happens besides the green flash effect but I went back and converted money back into mag. I don't think it's a huge probelm since I never noticed it until now and completed the warehouse part 100%.

I don't understand the loyalty and personality stuff. I'm hoping that it doesn't play too much into it because I'm not sure I care enough to learn it. Maybe it's less convuluted than it seems.

cj_iwakura

I started playing this game after taking a break from SMTIV (my first SMT), and I'm having a lot of fun. A lot of people say that Soul Hackers is archaic but it seems like a simpler version of SMTIV.

I'm in the museum (science?) right now and I just realized walking around costs mag, and I just converted all my mag to money. I don't know what happens besides the green flash effect but I went back and converted money back into mag. I don't think it's a huge probelm since I never noticed it until now and completed the warehouse part 100%.

I don't understand the loyalty and personality stuff. I'm hoping that it doesn't play too much into it because I'm not sure I care enough to learn it. Maybe it's less convuluted than it seems.

You can buy liquor at the market that can make demons into any loyalty. The Kind one is great, since they gain loyalty just by defending/healing. It's not really that bad, but certain loyalties suck.

You'll want to get those demons plastered.

Korigama

No mag = nothing for your demons to feed on besides their own HP (that green flash you mentioned). It's why the guy at the O.E.A. warns that demons are unable to survive without magnetite when leaving the store. You never want to convert ALL of your mag into money, as you not only won't need that much yen on average, but grinding mag also takes much longer before late game dungeons. Not to mention, you also require mag to actually summon demons, costs varying according to which demon you're summoning.

The loyalty and personality issue was already explained above me. To elaborate a bit further, though...

Sly: like focusing on spells, not physical attacks
Dumb: like being issued the "Go" command
Calm: generally don't like being given direct orders (buffs/debuffs during boss battles usually being an exception); the most annoying to increase loyalty for in battle
Wild: like being commanded to use physical attacks and skills
Kind: as already explained, prefer healing and being told to guard

Will second that getting demons drunk is the most effective way to max out loyalty, particularly by buying sake that changes their personality to Kind.

No mag = nothing for your demons to feed on besides their own HP (that green flash you mentioned). It's why the guy at the O.E.A. warns that demons are unable to survive without magnetite when leaving the store. You never want to convert ALL of your mag into money, as you not only won't need that much yen on average, but grinding mag also takes much longer before late game dungeons. Not to mention, you also require mag to actually summon demons, costs varying according to which demon you're summoning.

The loyalty and personality issue was already explained above me. To elaborate a bit further, though...

Sly: like focusing on spells, not physical attacks
Dumb: like being issued the "Go" command
Calm: generally don't like being given direct orders (buffs/debuffs during boss battles usually being an exception); the most annoying to increase loyalty for in battle
Wild: like being commanded to use physical attacks and skills
Kind: as already explained, prefer healing and being told to guard

Will second that getting demons drunk is the most effective way to max out loyalty, particularly by buying sake that changes their personality to Kind.

Calm demons are more complex than most, but I've found that some are relatively easy to raise. Basically, in order to raise a Calm demon's loyalty, you have to give them a direct order that matches what they would normally do in that battle situation. For example, when using the Go command, I noticed that a physical-focused demon would always use Deathbound when there were multiple enemies and Attack when there was only one enemy left. So I gave it the same commands when those particular situations arose, raising its loyalty fairly quickly.

In another case, a demon would always cast a certain debuff spell when placed in the back row, since it couldn't do anything else, so that was another easy one to raise. But yeah, it's frequently easier to just use the alcohol trick to raise a Calm demon's loyalty, since there are times when it's harder to predict the demon's actions, or the demon is just wasting valuable space until it's loyal.

Korigama

Calm demons are more complex than most, but I've found that some are relatively easy to raise. Basically, in order to raise a Calm demon's loyalty, you have to give them a direct order that matches what they would normally do in that battle situation. For example, when using the Go command, I noticed that a physical-focused demon would always use Deathbound when there were multiple enemies and Attack when there was only one enemy left. So I gave it the same commands when those particular situations arose, raising its loyalty fairly quickly.

In another case, a demon would always cast a certain debuff spell when placed in the back row, since it couldn't do anything else, so that was another easy one to raise. But yeah, it's frequently easier to just use the alcohol trick to raise a Calm demon's loyalty, since there are times when it's harder to predict the demon's actions, or the demon is just wasting valuable space until it's loyal.
Hmm, so observe the patterns for a specific Calm demon's behavior to determine how to pick what it likes. Alright, I'll have to keep that in mind. Much appreciated.

magnetic

Just started playing this again on a new copy, and man, the amount of nostalgia (for a game that I can´t possibly be actually nostalgic about) is almost overwhelming.

And this time I´m actually enjoying the demon personality stuff, if only for the sole reason that it allows me to be able to get demons drunk on sake to bend their will. And the demons using macca for every step also makes me more conservative on how many demon I have summoned - usually I´m just rolling with MC, Nemissa and whatever Zoma fusion I have at that time. Sure, in reality it makes everything a bit more clunky, but also feel more... esoteric, if you will, which fits the overall mood very well.

The weird echo/reverb effect on the menu sound effects and the odd detuned chorus effects on the music gives this a very appealing dream-like quality, something that is rather typical for games at that time (aside from the very obvious psychedelic themes like the virtual art museum).

And boy, those warped LSD battle backgrounds... so good.

The weird echo/reverb effect on the menu sound effects and the odd detuned chorus effects on the music gives this a very appealing dream-like quality, something that is rather typical for games at that time (aside from the very obvious psychedelic themes like the virtual art museum).

And boy, those warped LSD battle backgrounds... so good.

Probably my favorite part about random encounters! I never get tired of looking at the battle background. The battle music only intensifies that effect!

cj_iwakura

So Gemini, the guy who was doing Soul Hackers PS1 and dropped it like a bad COMP, is working on some FFIV thing. I guess it's safe to call that project dead. He's blocked any and all means of messaging him, so it's kind of hard to confirm.

Celine

So Gemini, the guy who was doing Soul Hackers PS1 and dropped it like a bad COMP, is working on some FFIV thing. I guess it's safe to call that project dead. He's blocked any and all means of messaging him, so it's kind of hard to confirm.
Well, the 3DS game is now the "main" version or am I wrong?
Is there something notable about the PS1 version?

Picked it up again this week to make some progress on the post-game dungeon. It's actually going faster than I expected, 3 bosses down, 2 to go.

Top Bottom