• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

cj_iwakura

Picked it up again this week to make some progress on the post-game dungeon. It's actually going faster than I expected, 3 bosses down, 2 to go.

Say hi to Sid!

sid.jpg

cj_iwakura

FINALLY got some answers.

Gemini via RHDN said:
This wasn't dropped at all, it's just on hold. I love how the people on Gaf think we got a C&D letter when I have totally no idea what one looks like. :D

cj_iwakura

Finally got the game.
Main character doesn t use magic right? What stats should I focus on for him?

Strength, Agility, Vitality(whatever their equivalents are in SH). Hit hard, hit fast. Nemissa more than picks up the slack in Magic, so make sure you give her the magic focus. Agility's a good idea for her too, because you want her healing your team before the bosses bring the pain.

Celine

Thank you!
What s the difference between intelligence and magic?

I see the atk stat is paired eith an hit stat, is that the chance ratio to hit the enemy?

cj_iwakura

Thank you!
What s the difference between intelligence and magic?

I see the atk stat is paired eith an hit stat, is that the chance ratio to hit the enemy?

Kind of. It also determines gun damage.

I'm not too sure on the difference, but I'm pretty sure one Magic stat handles offense and the other more defense. Both help damage output, though. One of the two makes MP higher faster as well.

cj_iwakura

Talking about guns...
What s the main difference with sword attack?
Is there a bullet count or something?

Guns can inflict statuses based on bullet types, can also do AOE damage or multi-hit(depending on the gun), and some enemies are weak to them.

Soulhouf

I find guarding to be a better choice as long as you can guard before the enemy attacks (Ag) and/or have enough defense and hp to back it up (En)

I forgot to say that this is especially important in the post game. I remember neglecting intelligence in one of my runs and despite having max endurance, MC wasn't able to survive against the ultimate bosses. I had to put him in the 2nd row so that he doesn't die that easily.

Celine

First a question:
I have 35K coins and counting, does the Emperor Sword break the game too much?

My initial impression (I'm at the VR musuem part).
This is the first MT game I have played seriously.

+ I really like the setting and the writing.
It's clever enough to hold my interest.
With the due difference in style the interesting world and written lines reminded me of Yuji Horii of DQ fame.

+ Really love how the gameplay mechanics are integrated in the story and that's especially evident in how the Vision Quests unfold.

+ Demon negotiation is really funny and witty.

+ So far seem quite easy. You can screw up if you are unlucky or mismanage a battle but so far MC + Nemissa were enough to complete every dungeon except the bosses.

+ Game seems to explain well the mechanics at hand like demon nature and loyalty.

+ Beautiful art and good music. I like most of the english voices too (especially Hitomi/Nemissa)

+ So '90 :)

+ B button to speed up is good.

+/- Not sure how it is handled in the rest of the series but I appreciate that demons don't level up just because I would hate to lose "experience levels" after a fusion (if that's what happens in other MT games)

- Demon fusion doesn't seem to be that useful for now but it's probably because I'm just at the beginning...

- The "save everywhere" program could detract from the experience IMO.

- Battle text is too quick even at the lower setting for my taste.

- Have yet to use the guns (are they more needed/useful later on?).

Bladenic

Being done with SMT4, I really want to play this now but it's no longer on sale. Still kicking myself for missing the 8 dollar sale.

cj_iwakura

I don't know that I'll like it since first person dungeon crawling? Not my jam. So I'm gonna wait for another sale.

Yeah, then that's a different story. The dungeons are not that bad though, aside from the second to last one. That one is kind of hellish.

Soul Hackers has a better progression of difficulty than SMT IV(easy to difficult to tough rather than tough to tricky to broken), and (IMO) better story and character development.

Taruranto

Got to the
Amami Monument
, I guess I'm close to the ending. Pretty satisfied.

Storyline is pretty good and like all Cozy Okada-era Megaten doesn't rely on abundance of exposition (btw, it feels like a proto-IS in some areas), dungeons are pretty distinctive and the OST makes the atmosphere.

Even the Magnetide system isn't obstructive like I fear it was going to be. Overall pretty satisfied, not my favorite Megaten, but 8+ .

Taruranto

http://i.imgur.com/CAcOZAg.jpg

Aye.

Didn't think I could do it since Nemissa En and Int were waaay too low even with the Celestial Set (Pumped Mag for the main game), but Makakaja + Almighty always win in the end, I guess.
Kyouji
was harder because if he decide to spam hama + fire/ice there is little you can to survive.

Zornica

Banned
I finally bought this, do you guys have any tips for new comers? (never played a SMT before, but I played Etrian 1&2).

Is there anything I should know?

Finally got around to clearing the post game dungeon. Never underestimate the power of stat boosting magic in this game. You can stack the effect of tarukaja, sukukuja, etc up to four times at which point you pretty much destroy everything.

Zornica

Banned
This game sure feels dated, but kinda fun at the same time.

When I summon a deamon, does it use up my magic over time? Seems like I am always running out of "Mag".
What's the best course of action? just summon them in battle and put them away afterwards? have 1 or 2 with you all the time?

Atreides

Is there a way to avoid the main character being petrified? I find very annoying getting a game over over something that I can barely control in just a random encounter, and having to redo a good portion of a dungeon.

cj_iwakura

When I summon a deamon, does it use up my magic over time? Seems like I am always running out of "M".
What's the best course of action? just summon them in battle and but them away afterwards? have 1 or 2 with you?

Having demons with you 24/7 will drain your MAG in no time. Learn to rely on Nemissa, Main, and maybe the demon Victor gives you(ideally a support/healing build). Maybe have one heavy hitter, but usually those two can handle most battles. Save the demons for bosses.

Soulhouf

Is there a way to avoid the main character being petrified? I find very annoying getting a game over over something that I can barely control in just a random encounter, and having to redo a good portion of a dungeon.

Get an equipment that protects against death. There are a head gear that you can buy and which has such a protection.

Zornica

Banned
I haven't gotten a hang of it yet.. should I talk to every demon I encounter? should I fight them? How do I not end up being completely underlevelt? how do I know which demons are worth talking to?

(I guess demons don't level up?)

zlCfzRmvRqAdXxmIRQ

I guess someone fucked up? Or is it more mysterious to leave the "Demon Stone" untranslated?

cj_iwakura

I haven't gotten a hang of it yet.. should I talk to every demon I encounter? should I fight them? How do I not end up being completely underlevelt? how do I know which demons are worth talking to?

(I guess demons don't level up?)

You'll know a demon can be recruited if they have a smiley face on the UI.

Bosses give tons of XP.

And no, sadly, Soul Hackers is part of the 'use 'em & fuse 'em' school. Keep the ones with great skills and apply them to stronger demons.
zlCfzRmvRqAdXxmIRQ

I guess someone fucked up? Or is it more mysterious to leave the "Demon Stone" untranslated?

That's a screw up. It has a few snippets like that.

Zornica

Banned
thx for all the answers so far

You'll know a demon can be recruited if they have a smiley face on the UI.

is there any way to influence that? like making them more incline to join me by talking to them? (If I remember correctly, the game suggested something like that)

Or should I just not bother if they got no smiley face?

cj_iwakura

is there any way to influence that? like making them more incline to join me by talking to them? (If I remember correctly, the game suggested something like that)

There's an app that can make some demon races able to communicate.

Beyond that, nope. It's pretty random, but there was an old rule of thumb with demon conversations that kind of holds true in SH: the upper left option often yields the best results. Also, giving them MAG is most effective.

Soulhouf

Or should I just not bother if they got no smiley face?

You can't recruit dark demons unless you use a specific app. That's a traditional thing in classic megaten.

When I summon a deamon, does it use up my magic over time? Seems like I am always running out of "Mag".
What's the best course of action? just summon them in battle and put them away afterwards? have 1 or 2 with you all the time?

Odd, it was one of the freshest from Gen 5, but I play way too many DCs for that to be taken at face value.

Megatened!

Megaten's always made the cure available before the disease, which as you've seen, is highly useful in MC dead == game over.

Celine

Ok... I don't know why but I'm running out of money all the time... any way to earn some?
Trade in MAG for cash (but not everything since you need it to summon monsters).

It's easy to accumulate MAG if you beat the dungeons just with MC and Nemissa (use the monsters only for bosses).

Zornica

Banned
Ok, I'll try that.

any way to check skills/magic outside of battle? kinda hard to decide on fusions etc if you don't know what all the new skills do.

Zornica

Banned
I am about 16 hours in by now, but I'm still struggling with the system... my team never feels all that great. It's really hard to judge which demons to keep and which ones to let go.
Having no idea what most of the skills do doesn't help either.

cj_iwakura

I am about 16 hours in by now, but I'm still struggling with the system... my team never feels all that great. It's really hard to judge which demons to keep and which ones to let go.
Having no idea what most of the skills do doesn't help either.

What skills are you confused by? And your demons are never really that great, it's all MC and Nemissa. Especially if you use buffs/debuffs.

Soulhouf

What skills are you confused by? And your demons are never really that great, it's all MC and Nemissa. Especially if you use buffs/debuffs.

Really? I often found MC to be the weak element of my team. Against tough bosses I switch him to the back line so that he doesn't get slaughtered.
Unlike Aleph, Hitoshura or Flynn, he never excel in anything.
He's definitely a mid-tier hero at best in the Megami Tensei universe.

cj_iwakura

Really? I often found MC to be the weak element of my team. Against tough bosses I switch him to the back line so that he doesn't get slaughtered.
Unlike Aleph, Hitoshura or Flynn, he never excel in anything.
He's definitely a low tier hero in the Megami Tensei universe.

Give him a good status-inflicting weapon and 4x Tarukaja him and watch things die.

Zornica

Banned

basically all of them... Is there some kind of list? It's always hard to decide on demon fusions without knowing how effective the new demons are going to be.
Then there is the problem of completely useless and overpowered skills like ice breath and aeon rain. both are ice type, the first one sucks completely, the 2nd one is op as fuck - but you'd never be able to tell just from looking at them. it's kinda frustrating when wasting demons on useless end results.

and I'm not very keen on using only nemissa + mc on random encounters. In a game with random encounters, especially in where encounters are as frequent as in this one, I'd rather not waste too much time fighting the same enemies again and again.
Which means I need a few good demons at my side all the time to speed things up. Skills like Violet Flash and the mentioned Aeon Rain are helpful, but there got to be more and other useful skills and I testing all of them not only takes too much time but also risks getting my mc killed.

cj_iwakura

basically all of them... Is there some kind of list? It's always hard to decide on demon fusions without knowing how effective the new demons are going to be.
Then there is the problem of completely useless and overpowered skills like ice breath and aeon rain. both are ice type, the first one sucks completely, the 2nd one is op as fuck - but you'd never be able to tell just from looking at them. it's kinda frustrating when wasting demons on useless end results.

and I'm not very keen on using only nemissa + mc on random encounters. In a game with random encounters, especially in where encounters are as frequent as in this one, I'd rather not waste too much time fighting the same enemies again and again.
Which means I need a few good demons at my side all the time to speed things up. Skills like Violet Flash and the mentioned Aeon Rain are helpful, but there got to be more and other useful skills and I testing all of them not only takes too much time but also risks getting my mc killed.

There's a lot of resources for skill lists, namely the Megaten Wiki, but as I'm sure you've realized, it's largely trial and error. Some skills that might be dynamite in Persona 4 could suck here, and vice-versa.

NeonZ

basically all of them... Is there some kind of list?

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Devil_Summoner:_Soul_Hackers_skills

In the game itself, I think you can only see the descriptions in combat, which isn't very helpful if you're attempting to plan fusions.

There's also Zeed. It doesn't take mag either and can learn almost any type of skill set through fusion.

Top Bottom