• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothars

That retcon blew my mind, they took a hack and slash game and retconned a story into it so they could weave D3 a bit deeper to Diabloception levels.

Kinda iffy on what they did with the story, but ill find out more when I actually play D3.
I don't think it's that iffy, I think it makes a fair bit of sense to have it the warrior as leoric son. We will see how it turns out but I am optimistic.

Zia

and yeah I'm going to go ahead and ignore your suggestion that real world ambitions have anything to do with accomplishments in a computer game. Come on son..

:)

Oh, but they most certainly do, psychologically and physiologically. But I was just picking on you, sorry.

And I'm not a son, son.

TUSR

Banned
I dunno I thought it was implied in the game? It's been a loooooong time since I actually read the convos in D2 let alone played it all the way through but I recall there being hints and whatnot in the convos that implied it.

Yeah it was all implied now that I look back at the games, it should have been apparent to me. But I was a kid who just wanted to kill shit back then.

I said it was all confirmed by Blizzard recently, I don't remember a conversation in D2 that was straight out saying that they were the two from the first game.

Soule

Yeah it was all implied now that I look back at the games, it should have been apparent to me. But I was a kid who just wanted to kill shit back then.

I said it was all confirmed by Blizzard recently, I don't remember a conversation in D2 that was straight out saying that they were the two from the first game.

I was gonna comment about the lore panel but I never actually could sit through it all I just caught the cliff notes from someone and didn't really pay attention to that haha. As far as it not being apparent and just wanting to kill shit, that was me too :p It was my brother that pointed it out to me lol

D4 talk bah, we have two confirmed expansions for D3 that will be on their way. It would be sad if D3 was the end of the series though.

There's a depressing thought, it's so popular though even if they did end the series surely there'd be a spiritual successor or something out there eventually, a world without Diablo is a sadder world for gamers

ShaneB

Which is why I like the audiobooks, for lack of better term, that they use for a lot of the backstory (/retcons) and monster talk and such. Nice to get that kind of stuff without having to "sit" there listening to an NPC. You can learn and click click click things!

I was going to ask about those books and the audio. During the beta it was an annoyance that there was no special audio mix when they played. It would've made sense to drown everything out while they played, and put the focus on that voice over.

They're great to listen to, but I don't want to stop and hope nothing happens so I can pay attention to them. Although.. I'm pretty sure they were stored via a menu and log anyway, so maybe this is all a silly post :p

injurai

Banned
There's a depressing thought, it's so popular though even if they did end the series surely there'd be a spiritual successor or something out there eventually, a world without Diablo is a sadder world for gamers

Good thing I won't have to think about it for a while. Blizz has Titan, 2 SC2 expansions, 2 D3 expansions, WoW has Pandaria and apparently at least one more expansion after that. Maybe we will get WC4 down the road too, and I'm sure Blizzard wants some new IP's. D4 would be long off if it ever comes.

The first sign of the Mayan apocalypse coming to fruition is Diablo 3 actually being released here in 2012.

Diablo 4 will be played in hell itself for realsies.

Looks like we got it figured out now ;)

scy

I dunno I thought it was implied in the game? It's been a loooooong time since I actually read the convos in D2 let alone played it all the way through but I recall there being hints and whatnot in the convos that implied it.

Off-hand, Kashya's dialogue for the Blood Raven quest mentions that BR was a Rogue captain in the fight vs Diablo; the blacksmith I can never remember the name of mentions that Blood Raven led the Rogues vs Diablo as well. Akara says that BR fought Diablo (/in the Catacombs at least) and returned corrupted.

As far as the Summoner bit, Drognan says that he was from the Vizjerei clan as well and fought Diablo but came back changed. That's basically the only line I can remember and I don't even think it's part of the Summoner questline itself. He just kind of mentions it.

I was going to ask about those books and the audio. During the beta it was an annoyance that there was no special audio mix when they played. It would've made sense to drown everything out while they played, and put the focus on that voice over.

They're great to listen to, but I don't want to stop and hope nothing happens so I can pay attention to them. Although.. I'm pretty sure they were stored via a menu and log anyway, so maybe this is all a silly post :p

Yeah, they're available to relisten (/finally listen without explosions in the background) via the Journal, I believe. I didn't have too much trouble listening to most during the beta but uh ... Act 1 with nothing too flashy skillwise? Yeah, pretty easy to hear it over "punch punch punch." Gonna be rough with multiple people and louder skills.

TUSR

Banned
Off-hand, Kashya's dialogue for the Blood Raven quest mentions that BR was a Rogue captain in the fight vs Diablo; the blacksmith I can never remember the name of mentions that Blood Raven led the Rogues vs Diablo as well. Akara says that BR fought Diablo (/in the Catacombs at least) and returned corrupted.

As far as the Summoner bit, Drognan says that he was from the Vizjerei clan as well and fought Diablo but came back changed. That's basically the only line I can remember and I don't even think it's part of the Summoner questline itself. He just kind of mentions it.
Griswold the Blacksmith son.

Those are implied, but they were confirmed last year. Is what i've already said :S

Soule

Yeah I'm quite sure I saw that menu as well, it was already getting pretty cramped in just the beta area it will be quite plump after we've run through the entire game o_O

Junie12

Heh, surprised people didn't knew about Blood Raven being the Rouge from the first Diablo. Then again I didn't knew that until my recent play-through..

But yeah I'm interested to see what Blizzard did to our old heroes in D2, I have a feeling they've met a not-so kind fate..

injurai

Banned
2 expansions? nice. Have they given any indication of content? possibility of new classes?

I would assume something similar to how LOD was handled. A new Act, at least one new class. Probably will reintroduce the Enchanter. New affixes and mobs. More item mechanics, maybe even more skills for current classes. But there has been no official word as far as I know.

scy

Griswold the Blacksmith son.

Nah, I remember Griswold. I mean the Rogue Camp Blacksmith, the Barbarian girl. Karsi? Charsi? Something-si.

Edit: Charsi! Hah, guess I did know it. Sort of.

Those are implied, but they were confirmed last year. Is what i've already said :S

Yeah, I know. Just pointing out where they were implied :x

ShaneB

Yeah, they're available to relisten (/finally listen without explosions in the background) via the Journal, I believe. I didn't have too much trouble listening to most during the beta but uh ... Act 1 with nothing too flashy skillwise? Yeah, pretty easy to hear it over "punch punch punch." Gonna be rough with multiple people and louder skills.

Yeah I'm quite sure I saw that menu as well, it was already getting pretty cramped in just the beta area it will be quite plump after we've run through the entire game o_O

Sounds good to me, usually I'll boost the vocal audio in most games anyway. Since I remembered they were stored in the Journal anyway, it wasn't that big a deal.

My first playthrough will be solo most likely, so I don't mind having to stop and listen to things like that.

scy

Yeah I want to see appearances like this too. I need my good ol' Warriv to take me East.

The first time I heard the description of the little treasure demon and their opening a portal to their master Greed or whatever, I thought it said "Gheed."

...yup.

It just hit me that Diablo 3 is out in 5 days. Feels good man.

Also want to echo everyone in congratulating CarbonatedFalcon on the awesome OT.

injurai

Banned
The first time I heard the description of the little treasure demon and their opening a portal to their master Greed or whatever, I thought it said "Gheed."

...yup.

Back in D2 I read "Ring of Greed" as "Ring of Gheed" for ages. It wasn't until fairly recently I realized otherwise. Gheed was just such a greedy bastard.

scy

Back in D2 I read "Ring of Greed" as "Ring of Gheed" for ages. It wasn't until fairly recently I realized otherwise. Gheed was just such a greedy bastard.

Honestly, I'm actually going to be disappointed if it isn't Gheed. Gave him so many millions of Gold for Gambling worthless items? And he'd always bitch about not making any money? That greedy, lazy fuck.

Honestly, I'm actually going to be disappointed if it isn't Gheed. Gave him so many millions of Gold for Gambling worthless items? And he'd always bitch about not making any money? That greedy, lazy fuck.

hopefully he comes back in D3 as some unique. I hope all characters from D2 appear in D3 in some way. I want to kill that aztec god looking guy from the god awful rainforest Kurast chapter.

injurai

Banned

Maybe we find is body full of loot, but I just want to see all of those familiar characters come back in some representation. Like in D2
you got to see the corpses of all the characters from D1.

Fuuuu 15th can't come soon enough.

TUSR

Banned
I read blacksmith and automatically thought of my boy Griswold.

But yeah, HI IM CHARSI still echoes in my head.

zlatko

Banned
Good thing I won't have to think about it for a while. Blizz has Titan, 2 SC2 expansions, 2 D3 expansions, WoW has Pandaria and apparently at least one more expansion after that. Maybe we will get WC4 down the road too, and I'm sure Blizzard wants some new IP's. D4 would be long off if it ever comes.

Looks like we got it figured out now ;)

When the gates to hell open, and the hell armies blanket all, as our darkest moment comes, I shall whisper..."We have to go back!"

Junie12

I never gambled with Gheed because I was playing as a Necromancer and he straight up told me he hated me, so I said fuck you and I never bought from him :p

scy

I never gambled with Gheed because I was playing as a Necromancer and he straight up told me he hated me, so I said fuck you and I never bought from him :p

I think I used him because he always had the shortest run from him to the exit to refresh his inventory or something. I forget why the habit built but Gheed was my go-to fix for my gambling addiction.

TUSR

Banned
BdosL.jpg

Jay is the Director of D3.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
D3 barb is not the D2 barb if that is what you are saying. Blizzard even confirmed this.

Are you sure? I explicitly remember reading the exact opposite from some official or at least reputable source a year or so back; that the D3 barb is the D2 barb and probably the only surviving/sane member of the D2 heroes.

Edit: yup, found this from the D3 announcement worlwide invitational panel:

This is actually the same individual from Diablo 2. He's aged twenty years, and he's got a personality in this game. Look at his gear; his [[armor]] has points on which he could impale himself. It's extra protection for the harsh environment, but it's also dangerous to him. The day to day life characters lead in this world is very hard. With the Barbarian, we had to updating a classic. The Barbarian was exciting for us to work on -- to take a classic char we all love to play and bring him back to life. What's this guy been doing for the past 20 years? This guy's 8 feet tall and 300 lbs of pure muscle. He saw things during the events of Diablo II that would have killed most people, but he's still around. In D3 we aged him, grayed his hair, gave him some scars. We think those elements help sell the story visually. Signs of age, how he wears his armor. All that helps us tell the story visually.

TUSR

Banned
Are you sure? I explicitly remember reading the exact opposite from some official or at least reputable source a year or so back; that the D3 barb is the D2 barb and probably the only surviving/sane member of the D2 heroes.

It weird because somewhere sometime I thought it was confirmed they were the same.

But reading up on it, they are not.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah, there are contradictory statements. The initial annoncement was that the Male D3 barb is supposed to be the D2 barb, but then Bashiok said at I think the last blizzcon that they kind of waffled on that just due to not putting gender-divergent storylines for the class into the game.

Whatever, he'll always be the same barb to me.

The male Barbarian was initially-planned as a returning character. Literally, the D3 barbarian was the same individual as the D2 barbarian, returning to fight evil twenty years later. This story innovation was brought into doubt in November 2010, as Bashiok reported.[2]
There were talks shortly after BlizzCon about this and I believe the idea to give the male barbarian a unique story as compared to the female gender is now in question. It’s very likely to be simplified, the male barbarian would not be unique, and would no longer be spelled out as the barbarian from Diablo II.

This information has not been further updated, and no more details were shared about why the developers would want to make this change. It would clearly save them a lot of work writing different dialogues for the male and female Barbarians, but the male Barb would differ from everyone else also. He would have memories of battling Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal. He's ventured to the Burning Hells. He's met Deckard Cain and Tyrael. He knows why and how the Worldstone was destroyed, etc.

So they basically don't include the story elements that make it clear he is the same barb, but I don't get the impression that it's explicitly stated that he isn't in the context of the game, either.

TUSR

Banned
Yeah, there are contradictory statements. The initial annoncement was that the Male D3 barb is supposed to be the D2 barb, but then Bashiok said at I think the last blizzcon that they kind of waffled on that just due to not putting gender-divergent storylines for the class into the game.

Whatever, he'll always be the same barb to me.

So they basically don't include the story elements that make it clear he is the same barb, but I don't get the impression that it's explicitly stated that he isn't in the context of the game, either.

Yeah this is right, I think Jay or someone at the 2008 World Wide Invitational said something along the lines they are the same. But it was changed at a later date to being different.

The funny thing about the barb is that, for me, he was the LEAST interesting class in D2. Like, I never ever levelled one past level 10 or so. Just completely uninteresting. Yet here we are and the D3 barb is by far my favorite.

Anoregon

The funny thing about the barb is that, for me, he was the LEAST interesting class in D2. Like, I never ever levelled one past level 10 or so. Just completely uninteresting. Yet here we are and the D3 barb is by far my favorite.

Well in that same WWI quote where they initially said it was the same dude, they explain that it originally wasn't even "The Barbarian", but was close enough, being a melee juggernaut, that they might as well just call a spade a spade.

Anoregon

Will a laptop that can run SC2 on high settings be able to handle D3?

Yes. If you have a PC that can reasonably run pretty much any game with modern graphics from the past couple of years you should be fine.

Just started watching some gameplay videos....

So am I the only one who thinks it's odd that the character never has any incentive to actually use their equipped weapon? Seems like there's always a special move/ability that trumps actually swinging whatever it is you have equipped (although I realize that your equipped weapon affects said abilities).

I just think using a single ability over and over again as your main attack would get visually, and audibly, boring - or even annoying.

Now, I haven't played yet, but I'm thinking I may just keep my left-click set to standard attack - as inefficient as that may be. At least then I can swing my weapon at low-level mobs for some variety.

Anoregon

I'd be surprised if they stop at two, honestly.

I dunno, I mean other than WoW, blizzard has never released more than one Xpac for a game (I know SC2 is supposed to have 2, but it hasn't technically happened yet), and MMO's pretty much demand the content infusions of Xpacs to stay alive so it's kind of an outlier in that regard anyway.

To answer the other question though, D3 Xpac(s) would almost be guaranteed to contain new classes. No level cap increase according to all recent official quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom