• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to be the one to break it to you guys. And yeah as stated Summoner is the Sorcerer and the Warrior obviously had the fortune of shoving that rock in his head so all in all the heroes from D1 got the rough end of the pineapple, at least we know the Barb gets a happier fate :D

well we don't really know that, this could be a different barb. After all, everything went to shit up at Mt. Arreat.

injurai

Banned
Sorry to be the one to break it to you guys. And yeah as stated Summoner is the Sorcerer and the Warrior obviously had the fortune of shoving that rock in his head so all in all the heroes from D1 got the rough end of the pineapple, at least we know the Barb gets a happier fate :D

D3 barb is not the D2 barb if that is what you are saying. Blizzard even confirmed this.

You just don't understand, man. :p

And I don't mean to be hostile towards the games, but I remember listening to every optional dialog many times over and never piecing this stuff together. Perhaps it's a minor retconning they've done since the Diablo 3 era arrived (I'm pretty sure the warrior being Leoric's son Aidan was a retcon).

Dresden

I like to imagine the WD's Zombie Bears are the Druids from D2.

iH9y2.jpg

The fact that I'm just now learning this stuff a decade later is a testament to how shitty the storytelling actually was in Diablo 1 and 2. Let us hope that Diablo 3's storytelling is better.

Well, I'd say their storytelling is more functional than anything. I don't think it's great, but it is more or less totally optional, which means that a lot of people probably skip it to get back to the click click click.

Raide

So, how many little hidden things will Blizzard be putting into D3? WoW was full of them and I hope they put a few things around the game.

scy

The fact that I'm just now learning this stuff a decade later is a testament to how shitty the storytelling actually was in Diablo 1 and 2. Let us hope that Diablo 3's storytelling is better.

Blood Raven is practically explicitly said to be the Rogue from D1 by three different NPCs Quest Dialogue; if I recall, the Sorceror/Summoner connection is just by Drognan mentioning that the Summoner he knew "died back in Tristram."

injurai

Banned
And I don't mean to be hostile towards the games, but I remember listening to every optional dialog many times over and never piecing this stuff together. Perhaps it's a minor retconning they've done since the Diablo 3 era arrived (I'm pretty sure the warrior being Leoric's son Aidan was a retcon).

I quite like the story telling in diablo. IMO overwhelming in a story can be just as bad as a crappy story. I love HL because of the narrower view on the story around you, and I feel D2 was the same. The story was being told from Marius mostly, ---D2 Spoiler-->>
and we all know that he was actually talking to Baal

clap.gif

I'll never understand this "gogogo" mentality of gamers these days.

Well, you might understand once you get older.

blah blah blah...diablo...hellfire....blah..sanctuary...blah..soulstone...

ugh..

point me to the fields of monsters that explode into loot so I can click the shit out of them

injurai

Banned

ugh..

point me to the fields of monsters that explode into loot so I can click the shit out of them

IMO as you get older you have less and less time to sink into long gaming hours. But I will never sacrifice a story I enjoy just for the gameplay. Unless it's multiplayer I still play games to get immersed in the experience.

I hope the heroes from D2 suffer a similar horrible fate in D3.

That would make 7 bosses that we would get to slay. It would be fucking awesome, although I feel so bad after spending so much time with those characters. Maybe we will see some as old retired and washed up. Like a drunk druid madman who becomes the new Farnham.

scy

ugh..

Which is why I like the audiobooks, for lack of better term, that they use for a lot of the backstory (/retcons) and monster talk and such. Nice to get that kind of stuff without having to "sit" there listening to an NPC. You can learn and click click click things!

I think with Blood Raven and Summoner it was heavily implied but not really outright said "this was a dude from D1" in the games. Warrior being Aidan is definitely a retcon, although I don't know that they ever really explain your hero's motivation for being in tristram. I mean they say Albrecht is Leoric's son, but they never say it's his ONLY son.

injurai

Banned
I think with Blood Raven and Summoner it was heavily implied but not really outright said "this was a dude from D1" in the games. Warrior being Aidan is definitely a retcon, although I don't know that they ever really explain your hero's motivation for being in tristram. I mean they say Albrecht is Leoric's son, but they never say it's his ONLY son.

Warrior was sent by to look for Leoric's son, Summoner was looking to find new powerful magics and Rogue was looking for loot and riches. They all arrived without knowledge of what was occurring down in the Cathedral.

scy

I think with Blood Raven and Summoner it was heavily implied but not really outright said "this was a dude from D1" in the games.

Yeah, I don't think they were actually straight up confirmed until like ... 2011? Sometime recently, anyway. Blood Raven was just referred to as "a Rogue that fought against Diablo" and The Summoner was "there in Tristram" during the D1 events. Considering the Wanderer's background and all, it just kind of fell into place.

Zia

ugh..

In my opinion the lore and sense of place are what separate Diablo from a FB Cow Clicker game. Clicking to acquire virtual items only gets you so far. You know, for adults with real-world ambitions and achievements. You might understand once you get older.

; ) <3

TUSR

Banned
My mind's just been smitten... mother of God. I had no clue!

Yeah the story telling wasn't exactly all there in those games, there is a lot of stuff (like any Blizzard IP) outside of the actual games that drive the story. But the fact that I have spent hundreds of hours and maybe in the thousands of hours on Diablo games and I JUST learnt this fact is a true indication of their lack of story telling OR I didn't care about a story when I was 12.

I hope the heroes from D2 suffer a similar horrible fate in D3.

Oh they will, I sure hope Blizzard does something awesome to them. Having the Barbarian kill his friends would be fantastic, and maybe have some nice sad dialogue about it too.

injurai

Banned
Warrior was sent by to look for Leoric's son, Summoner was looking to find new powerful magics and Rogue was looking for loot and riches. They all arrived without knowledge of what was occurring down in the Cathedral.

Oh and to continue on this, They all fought together (similiarly to how the heroes in D2 were said to have fought) and both the Rogue and Summoner were corrupted before reaching Diablo. Only the warrior manage to reach to bottom and contain diablo.

TUSR

Banned
Oh and to continue on this, They all fought together (similiarly to how the heroes in D2 were said to have fought) and both the Rogue and Summoner were corrupted before reaching Diablo. Only the warrior manage to reach to bottom and contain diablo.

The warrior in Diablo 1
is named PRINCE Aiden, and his daughter is Leah. He is the other son of King Leoric. He was actually looking for his BROTHER.

Im not sure if thats even explained above in D3, or that its common knowledge now. Its not pivotal by any means.

And lol@containing Diablo, he did a fine job up until about... Before Act 1 started in D2.

In my opinion the lore and sense of place are what separate Diablo from a FB Cow Clicker game. Clicking to acquire virtual items is only gets you do far. You know, for adults with real-world ambitions and achievements. You might understand once you get older.

; ) <3

Yeah I certainly appreciate the sense of place and atmosphere of the game. But that is not communicated solely in the dialogue from various townsfolk. That comes in the art design, music and the feel of the gameplay. clicking is actually the game, and yeah I'm going to go ahead and ignore your suggestion that real world ambitions have anything to do with accomplishments in a computer game. Come on son..

:)

injurai

Banned
The warrior in Diablo 1
is named PRINCE Aiden, and his daughter is Leah. He is the other son of King Leoric. He was actually looking for his BROTHER.

Im not sure if thats even explained above in D3, or that its common knowledge now. Its not pivotal by any means.

That was a retcon, but I was talking about the original story line and lore for D1.

The warrior in Diablo 1

And lol@containing Diablo, he did a fine job up until about... Before Act 1 started in D2.

Did they ever really say this in the earlier games (the spoiled section)? I thought they retconned that for D3.

scy

I sorta knew about Blood Raven, but I never made the connection for Summoner.

To be fair, I don't think anyone actually listened to Drognan. And the Blood Raven connection was more obvious since they refer to her as "The Rogue that fought against Diablo" in the dialogue. The Summoner is just mentioned as a fellow Vizjerei clansmen and was in Tristram and I don't even think it's part of the quest dialogue.

Soule

Sounds quite epic when you put it like that, now if they had a way in D2 of conveying it that way it would only have made the game better.

TUSR

Banned
That was a retcon, but I was talking about the original story line and lore for D1.

That retcon blew my mind, they took a hack and slash game and retconned a story into it so they could weave D3 a bit deeper to Diabloception levels.

Kinda iffy on what they did with the story, but ill find out more when I actually play D3.

Did they ever really say this in the earlier games (the spoiled section)? I thought they retconned that for D3.

Retconned

red731

What is that talk about characters from D1....? *reads *MINDBLOWN

What-the-hell! I played both for ages and am too learning this now!

TUSR

Banned

Yeah, all this info was only confirmed recently. They did a HUGE retcon confirmation during the 2011 Blizzcon lore panel.

This is all relatively new info, so don't be too hard on yourselves.

Soule

lol I'm kinda amazed so many people didn't know, I mean it was quite easy to gloss over especially the summoner but I just assumed most people who played the first would know. Maybe this belongs in that cloudbush mindblown thread.

Ploid 3.0

This all makes me wish I knew Diablo 2's story. Maybe I can look up the endings of each hero. It also makes me look forward to Diablo 4 to see what happens to Witch Doctor.

injurai

Banned
This all makes me wish I knew Diablo 2's story. Maybe I can look up the endings of each hero. It also makes me look forward to Diablo 4 to see what happens to Witch Doctor.

D4 talk bah, we have two confirmed expansions for D3 that will be on their way. It would be sad if D3 was the end of the series though.

Soule

Yeah, all this info was only confirmed recently. They did a HUGE retcon during the 2011 Blizzcon lore panel.

This is all relatively new info, so don't be too hard on yourselves.

I dunno I thought it was implied in the game? It's been a loooooong time since I actually read the convos in D2 let alone played it all the way through but I recall there being hints and whatnot in the convos that implied it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom