• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth C

Is the game down right now? It lets me try to sign in, but then when I do it tells me there is an update, but when I click okay Windows reports a crash and I'm at the lauder, begin cycle again.

scy

Nice, he actually downed inferno hardcore.

The betting pool was not until august at least. It's not even been 2 months. Blizzard underestimate their hardcore fans.

He beat my expectations by a week :( But I also figured Inferno would be harder than it is. And I think the looming 1.0.3 nerf kind of pushed things into overdrive.

Is the game down right now? It lets me try to sign in, but then when I do it tells me there is an update, but when I click okay Windows reports a crash and I'm at the lauder, begin cycle again.

Should still be in maintenance for the patch.

rukland

That's actually disheartening to read. I'd rather they just remove the damn things.

And I wish they had added a real compare between your items and the ones you are looking at on the AH. But oh well I can wait.

And as a DH I am kinda excited by the NT nerf, it means I will not be feeling like not using it gimps me. Guessing I will go back to either the fear rune on elemental arrow or start looking for something else.

LegoDad

Why are we nerfing Chests and Vases... The Developers first stated that the best weapons could drop from a Vase...

So they pretty much told me not to hit and look into any extra item and only kill demons.. That's not what a looting game is about, but okay...

Also they added enrage timers to Bosses in Inferno, therefore making it even harder for Barbs and Monks, and then they reduce the amount of Damage reflected... WTF are these improvements..

GJS

That will be great if loot actually drops.

Look, it is not like loot doesn't drop, but it is just so heavily skewed into useless junk cateory that it is not rewarding. Case in point is the level 50 ring drop off Kripp's Inferno Dibalo kill. That shit is retarded.

I played D2 for hundreds of hours and it was not this bad. No way in hell.

Of course, maybe I am looking at it wrong and the loot isn't the problem. Maybe it is Inferno and the mentality surrounding it.

Blizz promoted Inferno as being the beginning of the "real" game where you could get the good loot, but mostly you get drops that do not help your progression. Yes, the rare super duper drop will happen, but it is not enough to really help.

They made a game so hard and gear so rare that you either have to auction house and gear up, which is balls at this point (not because of principle, but because of execution. Clearly people were running gear exchanges for D2 which operated mostly successfully), or just be frustrated by some really broken game mechanics.

In a sense, they have created or are on the verge of creating a very niche title where few people will either have the gold required to buy good gear, be willing to farm for the gold for the good gear, or be willing to farm the gear itself.

unless some major changes happen, I suspect the user base is going to devolve into a core group of die hard people playing with no real variety in how things are going down. I guess D2 kind of got this way, but it certainly wasn't this quick.

I wasn't hard core in D2 by any means, but the game just worked in a way that kept me coming back. D3 is not that game.

Level 50 ring drops can be really valuable though.

Loot in loot games has always been overwhelmingly shit, most people however didn't have the luxury of seeing all the good loot which is available and wanting it.

They said during the AMAA that they designed inferno without the AH in mind and progressed through it as such. They wanted it to be a long term grind but instead the AH allowed everyone to progress far to quickly as people started exploiting acts 3/4/whimsyshire etc.

I played D2 for hundreds of hours and it was not this bad. No way in hell.

I leveled special cow-level amazon on javelins and specialized magic find mef run sorceres into lvl 9x.

The only very good tier item i found was Buriza.

It's just that hell was piece of cake compared to even D3 hell.

eek5

??? This was a thing?
You used to get 2 rares for 5 stack now you only get 1 guaranteed rare.

Finding ilvl 63 items was a problem for me (and I'd imagine many, many others) because I can't currently progress at all in Act III. Obviously the vast majority of items that drop in Acts I and II still won't be ilvl 63 and the vast majority that are ilvl 63 will be awful but I'm wondering if we will still see a flood of good ilvl 63 items in the AH's due to the fact that so many more people now have the potential of seeing them drop. I have to imagine that the population of players who can successfully farm in Acts I and II of inferno is significantly greater than those who can do the same in Acts III and IV.

If pre-1.0.3 A3 is any indicator, finding iL63 stuff is still going to be a problem. I've had runs where I only got 1-2 iL63 items out of 8-10 rares.

FrankT

Why are we nerfing Chests and Vases... The Developers first stated that the best weapons could drop from a Vase...

So they pretty much told me not to hit and look into any extra item and only kill demons.. That's not what a looting game is about, but okay...

Also they added enrage timers to Bosses in Inferno, therefore making it even harder for Barbs and Monks, and then they reduce the amount of Damage reflected... WTF are these improvements..

Yea a whole lot of nerf aka improvements. Forget balancing altogether.

scy

And I wish they had added a real compare between your items and the ones you are looking at on the AH. But oh well I can wait.

The number cruncher in me is happy they don't. My advantage!

And as a DH I am kinda excited by the NT nerf, it means I will not be feeling like not using it gimps me. Guessing I will go back to either the fear rune on elemental arrow or start looking for something else.

It was bound to happen though. NT's damage stacking was a little ridiculous and no amount of buffing other EA runes would've helped much without giving DHs just way too much.

You used to get 2 rares for 5 stack now you only get 1 guaranteed rare.

I didn't even know you got 1 Guaranteed Rare for just a 4 stack. I figured it was 2 at 5x NV and that was it.

If pre-1.0.3 A3 is any indicator, finding iL63 stuff is still going to be a problem. I've had runs where I only got 1-2 iL63 items out of 8-10 rares.
Sure, it will be a problem for you and I as individual players. The thing is, the scale is now much larger than that. Surely it will have some affect on the abundance of top tier ilvl 63 stuff available though, right? And as time goes on I can only imagine it getting more and more saturated.

RDreamer

*Sees the Soul ripper nerf
*Clicks the patch notes page
*ctrl + F Pestilence
*Sees Herald of Pestilence tentacle attack damage has been reduced

HALLELUJAH

This now means I should be able to handily beat Act 3, especially with the group I've been rolling with. The soul rippers fucked up our DHs, and the Pestilence guys always fucked up me and the barb.

eek5

It says the fourth stack though. I guess they want you to get 5 stacks before you kill anything at all.

The 4th stack gave you a rare (or I guess a blue if you were really unlucky) and the 5th stack gave you a rare. Now the 4th stack will most likely only give you a blue.

Apparently due to the nerf I can't do chest runs anymore. Feeling rather ok with this though, since monster damage has been reduced.

Hoping to actually be able to finish Inferno now.

Darkone

Just read the patch notes:

WTFFFFF!!!!!!

Magic Find will no longer be considered when looting objects in the environment such as chests, barrels, vases, pots, and corpses

Sax_Man

Banned
They seem to be affecting changes that make botting more difficult. In general, bots have an easy time breaking shit and raiding whatever is inside, but have a tougher time dealing with mobs. They're also less likely to succeed on "patterned" boss runs with a super-powered defense toon, thanks to the enrage mechanic.

I am pleased. Fuck botters.

It seems to me that Whimsy would almost be a waste as the packs that run in there will be a lot more time consuming to clear than if you just ran through Festering Woods and did Butcher runs for speed. I guess the drop rate is higher in there, but with the improved drop rates for Act 1 it just seems like it would be more productive to just go through spots doing as many champ packs as you can.

Anustart

So just to prepare, what area's in act 1 have a guaranteed ton of champions / elite demons? Normally in my runs I start at festering woods to pick up the 3-5 stacks there then on to warden and butcher. Are there any other areas with a waypoint with a bunch of champs?

jinutsu

Neo Member
They seem to be affecting changes that make botting more difficult. In general, bots have an easy time breaking shit and raiding whatever is inside, but have a tougher time dealing with mobs. They're also less likely to succeed on "patterned" boss runs with a super-powered defense toon, thanks to the enrage mechanic.

I am pleased. Fuck botters.

I saw a lot of people questioning the nerfs and was just about to post the same thing! I hate that botters got these things nerfed in the first place but it was necessary.

Suck it botters.

Stealth Demon Hunter/Wiz glass cannon nerf on farming seigebreaker too.

Siegebreaker: In Inferno difficulty, Siegebreaker will now gain the Reflects Damage affix.

All you DH and Wiz glass cannons better start farming for some high dps life on hit weapons if you're planning on doing Siegebreaker runs. Seems Blizz only want you in Act1.

GJS

So just to prepare, what area's in act 1 have a guaranteed ton of champions / elite demons? Normally in my runs I start at festering woods to pick up the 3-5 stacks there then on to warden and butcher. Are there any other areas with a waypoint with a bunch of champs?

Most areas are good.

The best area in terms of champ/elite concentration however is the watchtower in the northern highlands.

They really want to force players to kill monsters in order to get the good loot.

Which is no problem for me, but the thing is, they have nerfed our damage, and yet the rares still haven't had there health nerfed, I really don't feel like fighting a group of rares for 5 minutes each pack, they really need to do something about that.

Sadly the chest nerf is probably a result of people running bots to get them.

Yeah, it's great. I mean, there goes my weekends farming for items but at least the economy of the game won't be controlled by some fuckers with bots.

Which is no problem for me, but the thing is, they have nerfed our damage, and yet the rares still haven't had there health nerfed, I really don't feel like fighting a group of rares for 5 minutes each pack, they really need to do something about that.

But their damage has been reduced which might mean less kiting, and more actual fighting.

Duesy

The prime spot for botting, at least the one I know of, may not even be affected by the change. So most likely they are still in business.

garath

Nether tentacles nerf :(

I didn't even get to use it yet! I just got to Hell last night with my lvl 52 DH. So sad :(

Though I hit the AH knowing the IAS nerf was coming and revamped my equipment so that shouldn't hurt too bad.

I really wish they'd throw some AH UI improvements in the patch though. Like being able to filter on more than 3 things. That would be peachy.

I don't think I like the fact that socketed gems now affect the stats of the AH item. It's going to be harder to compare base items when one has a gem and one doesn't.

Wow Blizzard...some of your changes are just mind boggling.

Why would they remove the chance for the breakable objects to drop items...and change it so weapon racks don't drop anything sometimes. Why? Were people exploiting this?? Also still unhappy with the major repair cost increase.

Only good things for me are the drop rates on champ packs and the inferno nerf.

Boogdud

Isn't ball lightning like, pretty much the exact same thing? It didn't get nerfed as far as I can see.

Most areas are good.

The best area in terms of champ/elite concentration however is the watchtower in the northern highlands.
I'll have to check that out. When I run Whimsy I load up the Wortham quest and pick up Leah first and then head over to Festering Woods. There are 3 guaranteed spots that have champ bosses in them that add to the stack plus I usually find another 2 or 3 in the general area. You can actually head to Wortham too on that quest and there's another guaranteed one there.

scy

Siegebreaker: In Inferno difficulty, Siegebreaker will now gain the Reflects Damage affix.

All you DH and Wiz glass cannons better start farming for some high dps life on hit weapons if you're planning on doing Siegebreaker runs. Seems Blizz only want you in Act1.

Or gearing actual Armor/Resists since Reflect Damage is still mitigated. And you can gear Life Regen instead of Life on Hit.

magicstop

Wait a minute

Is the skill bar lock still not in this patch?

I was told that if you have elective mode on, set your bar, and then turn it off, you lock the skill bar and can't manually click and drag your skills off. I've set mine up this way, but I haven't tested it. This was after losing a full 5 stack of NV right before a Butcher run due to misclicking on Warden fight.

I was told that if you have elective mode on, set your bar, and then turn it off, you lock the skill bar and can't manually click and drag your skills off. I've set mine up this way, but I haven't tested it. This was after losing a full 5 stack of NV right before a Butcher run due to misclicking on Warden fight.

Yeah, it works. Always do this after changing some skills.

RivalCore

I go Graveyard (1-3 mobs if you go inside the crypts) - Festering Woods (guaranteed 5) - Leoric's Manor (1-3 mobs) and then run the Warden/Butcher gauntlet.

I must stop by the Watchtower now. Is it a guaranteed area?

Artanisix

More like Blizz wants them to actually have to gear now.

Warden is more of a pain in the ass too now for Warden > Butcher runs. I'll post my full thoughts on the patch notes in a bit. Probably gonna swap to OS X here (I've been in Windows for about the past week since I've been playing Diablo heavily), as it's easier for me to change stuff in the OP and just type in general in OS X for various reasons over my Windows install.

I'll have to test the Mac client again now too since they said it was improved (for both clients actually) in the patch, but I think I may still be shit out of luck since I run Snow Leopard, and apparently only Lion has some newer OpenGL stuff that makes D3 run better. That doesn't really excuse the poor performance in the first place since it worked fine for most of the beta for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom