• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJS

I had this happen to me before. I suspect it was from someone else trying to log in to my account. All I had to do was go through a password reset/auth codes and it was unlocked. I tried logging in just now and it only asks for an auth code.

MF question: Anyone care to clarify whether the rolls you get on an item/quality of rolls is affected by MF, or only your % chance of getting a certain color of an item. Basically, are the rolls on any given item and the quality of them completely random?

100% MF doubles your chance of rolling a blue, legendary, rare etc. It has no effect on the rolls of the item.

Kyoufu

how much total life leech can you get? the most i saw on any items was 3% and you can only get it on a couple items. i do 8.6k dps. 6% of that is 516*.2 is 103.2. just seems like only high dps chars would benefit from it. i'll stick with my 440 loh and 500/sec regen.

Yeah. You won't be doing 8.6k dps at endgame.

MrDaravon

Wait, I don't fully understand this one:

Legendary items with the +Attack Speed bonus will now correctly provide a bonus to attack speed.

-Please note that this fix will only affect new Legendary drops. Existing Legendary items will be addressed in future patch.

Was this the thing where some items had Increased Attack Speed by % and others had Attack Speed Increased by %, and one of them didn't work (forget which) unless it was on a weapon or something? I have a Legendary helmet that has Attack Speed Increased by 13%, is that one good or no?

Also while the Nether Tentacle nerf blows (primarily for Reflect Damage Elites; most of the time you're either dead or not as a DH) I don't understand people saying that Lightning Ball does way less damage, I thought they were both just 155%? I thought the only reason Nether Tentacles was a thing was just because it was the same damage but with healing so why not. I'm just not getting where people are saying Lightning Ball hit twice but at 50% each, is the tooltip not accurate or something?

The mf/chest nerf makes sense from a botting perspective, but kinda sucks. Also I imagine this largely kills Whimseyshire runs.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Was this the thing where some items had Increased Attack Speed by % and others had Attack Speed Increased by %, and one of them didn't work (forget which) unless it was on a weapon or something? I have a Legendary helmet that has Attack Speed Increased by 13%, is that one good or no?

Also while the Nether Tentacle nerf blows (primarily for Reflect Damage Elites; most of the time you're either dead or not as a DH) I don't understand people saying that Lightning Ball does way less damage, I thought they were both just 155%? I thought the only reason Nether Tentacles was a thing was just because it was the same damage but with healing so why not. I'm just not getting where people are saying Lightning Ball hit twice but at 50% each, is the tooltip not accurate or something?

The mf/chest nerf makes sense from a botting perspective, but kinda sucks. Also I imagine this largely kills Whimseyshire runs.

ASI by x% on armor will increase your attack speed, x% IAS is meant for weapons and will not. IAS affix being put on armor drops has now been fixed, but is not retroactive at the moment. So if you want attack speed on your Inna's Glory for instance, you'll have to buy ones dropped after the patch.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
so what are people replacing NT with??

i see above someone wants to go with ball ( havent tried it yet, but willing to)....

prsoanlly I used frost before NT, I might go back to that.

could potentially go back to impale overpenteration, but its high hatred cost

scy

Well, we agree on this then. My understanding of the matter is that once we are at a point where we get the usual stuff (+int, +vit, +life, +all resist for tankish/survival reasons, +crit chance/damage/+IAS for pure PDS-kiting), then Life per second becomes more and more good-looking as a stat. Still, LOH >>> LOS imho, but since we have to take account the availability of the affixes, of course one can get 1000+ los on every other item that cannot spawn LOH, therefore making that heal to have more significance even if we could not hit anything in those moments when we were running, or were in between group of mobs, etc.

Even at 1000 Life on Hit, it's still limited at the rate you actually deal damage and then reduced based on the skill you're using. I treat Life on Hit as if it was LPS by just factoring my APS and skill choice with it.

Magic Missile is neat for it since it's 100% return but when I ran Piercing Orb, it was 25%/target which is negligible on single-target/small pack enemies (~400 LPS when all was done) vs getting 600+ static LPS from equipment. And the latter worked when kiting and no damage was dealt (and/or Blizzard/Hydra was ticking away which have a 2%/0% coefficient).

Life on Hit is great for primary spam for basically all classes. It just scales poorly with skill use which is where Life Steal% is better. LPS is just always running and can be itemized easier/cheaper than LoH and it's a flat rate that never changes.

Generally speaking, as your non-single target skill use increases, Life on Hit value goes down.

The tooltip is a little misleading. They both dealt 155% but Ball Lightning was designed with the intent that it does it on multiple hits. NT was supposed to hit once but hit multiple times due to enemy hitboxes and the travel speed of it.

Kyoufu

It means any new legendaries (like Boj Anglers for example) dropping from now on won't be bugged, but those who aren't receiving IAS from their legendaries now will have to wait for a future fix.

Regarding clouds, they were always shit to begin with. The actual Elite packs in Pony land are the real loot holders.

Quick bit about Nether Tentacles before I start working on updating the OP (I'm behind) and writing my full response to some of the patch notes:

Nether Tentacles nerf was deserved, but Ball Lightning was never significantly weaker anyway. The nerf just makes NT much less of a standout. Frost Arrow is very good as well, and I think a decent amount of people will move to the version that fears. However, since the power levels of the other Elemental Arrow runes are closer to other skills, it just ends up being a good thing for build diversity.

I'll probably try going with Ball Lightning with a bit, but Frost Arrow has also served me well (through most of Hell and parts of Inferno). I will have to try some other things out though.

I get what people are saying about loot and rarity.

I guess what it comes down is that I want to be able to play the game and progress with drops I work towards getting. That was the excitement in D2. Even drops I can't use can be exciting. I don't want to rely on auction house to progress. It defeats the purpose of the game.

And no, I don't expect to have godly gear in an hour. I wouldn't even say I saw the tiniest fraction of godly gear in D2, but the gear I did find allowed me to progress and have fun with the game.

Inferno is not fun unless you have the godly gear. And to get that without the luck of drops, you have to farm millions of gold or drop real money to get it.

They professed to design the game around build variety and open play styles, but have in fact created something very precisely defined. People say that is shitty design, but given the way nerfs have been happening, this amount of control seems to be the design.

MrDaravon

ASI by x% on armor will increase your attack speed, x% IAS is meant for weapons and will not. IAS affix being put on armor drops has now been fixed, but is not retroactive at the moment. So if you want attack speed on your Inna's Glory for instance, you'll have to buy ones dropped after the patch.

Ah, that makes sense. So on new drops I assume they'll just be changing the listed stat on armor to Attack Speed Increased then? (to identify which ones are "fixed")

Artanisix

so what are people replacing NT with??

i see above someone wants to go with ball....

prsoanlly I used frost before NT, I might go back to that.

could potentially go back to impale overpenteration

See people, isn't it more interesting when you have more options to think about rather than just OMG 310%+ WPN DMG PIERCING AOE LIFESTEAL SPAMMABLE SPELL?

This nerf is a good thing for the class.

Definity

couple things I would love to see added...

Switch between the GAH and the RMAH and keep the same search parameters while looking at an item. It's a pain in the ass to fill out all the info again when all you really want to do is search to see the comparison.

Also - I need to take screenshots of stuff before I sell it because on the auction history tab you no longer get to see the item stats. I sold something for $10 last night and have no f'n clue what it was. lol

Dahbomb

Yeah they buffed the Jailer as expected. That boss fight was WAY too easy for the amount of loot you got from it. He's still not that hard though at least I don't think.

As for my NT replacement, I might go towards Impale but I also need an AOE Hatred user.

Kyoufu

I get what people are saying about loot and rarity.

I guess what it comes down is that I want to be able to play the game and progress with drops I work towards getting. That was the excitement in D2. Even drops I can't use can be exciting. I don't want to rely on auction house to progress. It defeats the purpose of the game.

And no, I don't expect to have godly gear in an hour. I wouldn't even say I saw the tiniest fraction of godly gear in D2, but the gear I did find allowed me to progress and have fun with the game.

Inferno is not fun unless you have the godly gear. And to get that without the luck of drops, you have to farm millions of gold or drop real money to get it.

They professed to design the game around build variety and open play styles, but have in fact created something very precisely defined. People say that is shitty design, but given the way nerfs have been happening, this amount of control seems to be the design.

This is exactly what they're fixing with the patch. I don't get the complaints.

People complained they couldn't get good loot to progress, now they're complaining that they can get good loot to progress. Baffling.

Boogdud

See people, isn't it more interesting when you have more options to think about rather than just OMG 310%+ WPN DMG PIERCING AOE LIFESTEAL SPAMMABLE SPELL?

This nerf is a good thing for the class.

It'd be better if everything was improved to match the awesomeness of NT...

xelios

Yeah they buffed the Jailer as expected. That boss fight was WAY too easy for the amount of loot you got from it. He's still not that hard though at least I don't think.

He'll still be a cakewalk because he is basically 1 minion with affixes. If you can take down packs he'll remain a joke.

Dahbomb

He'll still be a cakewalk because he is basically 1 minion with affixes. If you can take down packs he'll remain a joke.
Yeah but he will also be dropping less loot as part of the universal unique monster loot drop nerf.

Basically from what I can tell, the best way to farm in this game seems to be to do long runs and kill as man Elite monsters as possible. I also wonder why they haven't implemented the NV stacks carry over from act to act directly (but not if you go back to quest select from the main menu).

A lot of nerfs to Izual, did anyone catch what this meant in the patch note?
Players can no longer avoid being frozen by doing high amounts of amount to Izual

And thank god at Colossal Golgor nerf. I couldn't have been the only person who thought that unique monster was WAY too buff. Like yea I was playing on Hell with Monk but up to that point I hadn't died but got owned by Golgor faster than anything in the game up to that point. I know it's a small thing but it does show that Blizzard is still capable of making good changes even at a minor level. Most people probably have never fought him as a melee to know the pain.

scy

Yeah but he will also be dropping less loot as part of the universal unique monster loot drop nerf.

Basically from what I can tell, the best way to farm in this game seems to be to do long runs and kill as man Elite monsters as possible. I also wonder why they haven't implemented the NV stacks carry over from act to act directly (but not if you go back to quest select from the main menu).

Full game clears gogogogo

I think I'm fine with Skeleton King+ runs :x

Kyoufu

It's not hard to believe why they don't want people to get an easy 5 stacks in act 1 then hop on to act 4 and get the top tier loot so easily.

xelios

It's not hard to believe they don't want people to get an easy 5 stacks in act 1 then hop on to act 4 and get the top tier loot so easily.

I think he meant when you use the caravan to complete the current act. It also bothered me after butcher that when I went to act II without leaving the game my stacks were gone. :(

Maybe the same thing applies but it still seems like overkill in that situation.

GJS

It's not hard to believe why they don't want people to get an easy 5 stacks in act 1 then hop on to act 4 and get the top tier loot so easily.

You wouldn't be able to do that. Why do people keep saying that.

You would progress from the end of act 1 to the start of act 2.

SUPARSTARX

Enrage timers are lazy design.

we'll see good drops become this week. I don't want to drop more gold just to kill bosses I can farm.

scy

A lot of nerfs to Izual, did anyone catch what this meant in the patch note?

If you did enough damage to him, you could skip his room Freeze. Granted, if you do enough damage to him to get him from his 66%/33% freeze triggers before he actually uses it, I don't think you actually cared about the freeze anyway.

And thank god at Colossal Golgor nerf. I couldn't have been the only person who thought that unique monster was WAY too buff. Like yea I was playing on Hell with Monk but up to that point I hadn't died but got owned by Golgor faster than anything in the game up to that point. I know it's a small thing but it does show that Blizzard is still capable of making good changes even at a minor level. Most people probably have never fought him as a melee to know the pain.

I actually mentioned these (and Dark Berserkers, Heralds, and a few others) as the biggest targets of the spike damage nerf :x Kind of intense that I think the Inferno version can break a 200k something unmitigated hit.

Kyoufu

I think he meant when you use the caravan to complete the current act. It also bothered me after butcher that when I went to act II without leaving the game my stacks were gone. :(

Maybe the same thing applies but it still seems like overkill in that situation.

Wow, Caravan removes the NV buff? That sucks.

xelios

Enrage timers are lazy design.

we'll see good drops become this week. I don't want to drop more gold just to kill bosses I can farm.

Yeah and RMAH prices (most noticeably on weapons) will be lowering pretty quickly as more people are able FARM inferno rather than just progressing in it, and have a shot at the best items in the game even in Act I. Sad as a seller but I'll be farming Act I for a bit just to see if the changes are significant (then going to pony land and seeing if I can take the packs down easier, have issues with 1/10 or so pre patch).

scy

Yeah and RMAH prices will be lowering pretty quickly as more people are able FARM inferno rather than just progressing in it, especially on weapons. Sad as a seller but I'll be farming Act 1 for a bit just to see if the changes are significant (then going to pony land and seeing if I can take the packs down easier, have issues with 1/10 or so pre patch).

I'll never be able to use the RMAH to fund my drug habit now :(

And by drug I mean starting up LoL.

forrest

formerly nacire
What the shit

Nerf IAS and Nether ? Goodbye Diablo

Just woke up and read the patch notes.

Feeling a bit indifferent about these changes in general. I think we all kinda knew a NT nerf was coming. I know Blizzard stated they were looking at buffing other DH abilities to encourage build diversity, but lets be honest, buff multiple abilities or nerfing 1 ability? I imagined, as I'm sure others did, that this would be the path Blizzard would be choosing.

I really have never cared for NT though, but obviously use it due to its effectiveness. I'm not sure if this change will warrant using another hatred spender instead, but I'm sure we will find out soon enough.

There are a lot of changes that have me shaking my head in general. Destructible objects not dropping items anymore? Really? Even if the chance was super low, it was a chance. Now when go on a farming run you wont get as many chances at loot. Plain and simple.

Dahbomb

Should've sold my quiver earlier. :(
Quiver attack speed values are unchanged though.

The only thing missing right now from the patches that I wanted (aside from the direct progression in between acts to carry over your Stacks of NV) was the nerf to Lacuna Beasts in Act 2 and the Nagas. They did nerf the other problem enemies though so I would think this is on their mind as well.

There are a lot of changes that have me shaking my head in general. Destructible objects not dropping items anymore? Really? Even if the chance was super low, it was a chance. Now when go on a farming run you wont get as many chances at loot. Plain and simple.
These changes seem like the type of changes that would discourage botting.

xelios

Welp, at least on Butcher runs I won't have to waste time going down into that fire pit just before Highlands Crossing where the corpses & destructible objects are. No point is there?

TommyT

Quiver attack speed values are unchanged though.

The only thing missing right now from the patches that I wanted (aside from the direct progression in between acts to carry over your Stacks of NV) was the nerf to Lacuna Beasts in Act 2 and the Nagas. They did nerf the other problem enemies though so I would think this is on their mind as well.

I think he meant that the quiver had + Elemental Arrow damage. Who knows though Ball Lightning or Frost Arrow might just be where it's at.

inky

LOL @ Jailer buffs. You think a boss that dropped 3+ rares every single time needed to be hard Blizzard? You don't say.

Man, also big part of my halls of agony runs was cracking barrels/head baskets and checking every weapon rack (there are a lot in that run). =/ Oh well, maybe now I will at least drop something worth a damn.

That's the stupidest shit ever.

I agree. Bots will now move to the next profitable thing and continue to bot, so no biggie for them. I actually loved going back to that forgotten room and destroying that object to see a rare come out. Happened a bunch of times as well.

scy

I think he meant that the quiver had + Elemental Arrow damage. Who knows though Ball Lightning or Frost Arrow might just be where it's at.

All about dat fear arrow.

Hell, maybe we'll see some ~50%+ base Crit builds using the stun one.

TommyT

LOL @ Jailer buffs. You think a boss that dropped 3+ rares every single time needed to be hard Blizzard? You don't say.

Man, also big part of my halls of agony runs was cracking barrels/head baskets and checking every weapon rack (there are a lot in that run). =/ Oh well, maybe now I will at least drop something worth a damn.

Right! That's where I got my first legendary!

All about dat fear arrow.

Hell, maybe we'll see some ~50%+ base Crit builds using the stun one.

The high crit build has been running rampant in gear specs since there was talk about the aspd nerf. I think that will happen sooner rather than later.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's the stupidest shit ever.

I'm happy for this, personally. Ever since I got my first Legendary from a goddamn basket of heads, I have been super OCD about destroying EVERYTHING in the environment. Now I can just focus on enemies.

I'm really excited for this patch. I can't wait to see how much enemy damage was really toned down in Act II and beyond. I hope this means I can progress (but not too easily!) through Act III.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Oh god they went through and specifically nerfed every mob I hate. I think I have complained about every single one of those mobs in this very thread, and now they're all individually nerfed. Baller.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm happy for this, personally. Ever since I got my first Legendary from a goddamn basket of heads, I have been super OCD about destroying EVERYTHING in the environment. Now I can just focus on enemies.

I'm really excited for this patch. I can't wait to see how much enemy damage was really toned down in Act II and beyond. I hope this means I can progress (but not too easily!) through Act III.

It's so anti-diablo though....

Haven't been able to play this all day in the UK, keeps saying I need to download a patch... even though the patch isn't out yet. Thanks for that, Blizzard.

Disabled firewalls, PG, AVG, etc.

Dahbomb

Oh god they went through and specifically nerfed every mob I hate. I think I have complained about every single one of those mobs in this very thread, and now they're all individually nerfed. Baller.
Lacuni and Nagas still have their invincible get in moves. At least they will be doing less damage than before.

scy

The high crit build has been running rampant in gear specs since there was talk about the aspd nerf. I think that will happen sooner rather than later.

It feels like this was their intention. 50% Crit, +200% Crit Damage, 2 APS, etc. kind of balance rather than ... well, what we ended up gearing.

GJS

Haven't been able to play this all day in the UK, keeps saying I need to download a patch... even though the patch isn't out yet. Thanks for that, Blizzard.

Disabled firewalls, PG, AVG, etc.

Does your client say 1.0.3.10057 in the bottom left? If it does then you have the US client and it has updated and is incompatible with the Europe server right now.

So when does the patch go up? 1.0.3? Is that a soon thing?

I hit my wall in act 4. Now I wait.

The patch is already up, just waiting for them to finish maintenance and put the servers up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom