• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been recommending this set-up to all Wizards and Demon Hunters.

Get a cold bow with IAS, get rings with IAS, amulet with IAS and run multi-shot. For a demon hunter, it means constant cull the weak damage. You can also get knockback/stun on the bow for even more lolz.

Mein gott, it's...beautiful.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really nice post on the Official forums based on someone's opinion of the patch, farming act3-4 pre and post patch and drop rates. I agree with the OP on many points.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5890100318

He may be right and he may be wrong, but the game is a hell of a lot more enjoyable for me as a Barbarian now. I know it might sound crazy, but I actually enjoy the gameplay of Diablo III and am interested in going through the content and killing monsters.

I have been reading this very thread just today as well, and have been thinking about it a lot.

Here is my take.
First of all, it is perfectly within Blizzard's power to do it. Whether people like that or not is a different matter altogether.

However, the only group that should "feel" cheated is the same group who, thanks to the early exploits or early lucky drops (yes, that is a big part of it, like it or not), were able to get slightly ahead of the curve.

If, and this is a big IF, Blizzard just left everything untouched and just nerfed Inferno damage levels all over the board, that would not have changed the power game. Meaning that those who farmed Act3-4 for whatever reason (and yes, that includes people who just exploited goblins and chest positions and spawns) and already got a good enough gear thanks to that methods (i.e. avoiding fights at any costs because they did not have the gear to fight the mobs there), could continue to gain insane amounts of wealth and stay ahead of the curve for long enough time to mass large amounts of sum by the time the majority of the dedicated players get to farm Act3, for example.

Is that good? I do not believe that goblin farmers and botters should lead the Diablo 3's market forever just because things got unchanged. So yes, while it is sad that barrels do not drop legendaries anymore, it is no more sad that there are people out there who got where they are right now due to barrel kills. In a game that is about killing mobs. :p

Pretty much. To me it sounds like the OP was one of the few who got ahead of the curve using one of the ways in which he listed doing. Such as moving forward acts. He managed to get himself in a nice situation and when Blizz levels the playing field for everyone ... he complains.

The patch forces people to farm where they are comfortable farming. It makes people farm by attacking MOBS instead of breaking pots and puts a hurt on gold botters. I like the repair costs too. It serves as another sort of level/gear check and acts as a way to take money out of an ecomoney that saw serious infaltion.

TheContact

I've sold about 10 items for a total of $6 lol =\

Sometimes I undersell things a lot, and other times I think items that would sell for a lot don't.

Sounds like somebody who exploited their way to and through act 3/4 inferno is pretty butthurt to me.

Pretty much .... It's funny because he lists the ways in which people got to acts III and IV ahead of the curve and I think most of them were cheap. So he already understands that things were out of balance and almost admits to exploiting that.

He then complains about his individual enjoyment while aknowledging that it's proably percieved as a good thing for the people who've not progressed using some cheap tactic.

balddemon

Banned
is there any way to search for item values higher than 999? i want to find armor with at least 1500 thorns damage but only being able to search for 999 is annoying.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
is there any way to search for item values higher than 999? i want to find armor with at least 1500 thorns damage but only being able to search for 999 is annoying.

No. The auction house search fields are just completely awful in so many ways.

Pretty much .... It's funny because he lists the ways in which people got to acts III and IV ahead of the curve and I think most of them were cheap. So he already understands that things were out of balance and almost admits to exploiting that.

He then complains about his individual enjoyment while aknowledging that it's proably percieved as a good thing for the people who've not progressed using some cheap tactic.

His overall point though is that for the so called legit players the game seems great now, and in 2 weeks when they all get into act 3 and 4 and see zero upgrade from act 1, they will be in the same boat as t he op is in, and will realize that this patch was a nice band aid that made things feel nice temporarily but screwed the overall structure of the game.

Pretty much. To me it sounds like the OP was one of the few who got ahead of the curve using one of the ways in which he listed doing. Such as moving forward acts. He managed to get himself in a nice situation and when Blizz levels the playing field for everyone ... he complains.

The patch forces people to farm where they are comfortable farming. It makes people farm by attacking MOBS instead of breaking pots and puts a hurt on gold botters. I like the repair costs too. It serves as another sort of level/gear check and acts as a way to take money out of an ecomoney that saw serious infaltion.

With the way loot works now you're better off farming act 2 goblins than anything else in the game. There's absolutely no risk farming goblins and they drop more loot on average than champion farming. Not only that but they take a lot less time since they're always in the same spots. That's a problem for somebody like myself, who can clear act 3 without much trouble. I'm actually losing efficiency by grinding through act 3 champion packs instead of goblin farming.

Also there's no gear requirement for killing goblins at all.

Tom Penny

Can someone give me a basic understanding of how crit dmg / chance would help a monk? Im trying to figure a way to increase my dps. Im currenty at 5% chance 50 crit what happens when you increase those? If they were say 10/100 what is the impact?

GJS

With the way loot works now you're better off farming act 2 goblins than anything else in the game. There's absolutely no risk farming goblins and they drop more loot on average than champion farming. Not only that but they take a lot less time since they're always in the same spots. That's a problem for somebody like myself, who can clear act 3 without much trouble. I'm actually losing efficiency by grinding through act 3 champion packs instead of goblin farming.

I farmed act 2 goblins before the patch, it gets so damn tedious having to switch to magic find gear all the time after clearing the area, not to mention boring.

I'm farming act 2 elites/champs now whilst watching films and tv programmes on my 2nd monitor, I've already made more then I did farming goblins but obviously the patch plays a part in that. Plenty of them are dropping 3 rares at a time as well, and I'm not carrying a magic find set any more.

Rufus

Can someone give me a basic understanding of how crit dmg / chance would help a monk? Im trying to figure a way to increase my dps. Im currenty at 5% chance 50 crit what happens when you increase those? If they were say 20/100 what is the impact?
Basically: You'd double damage 20% of the time an attack hits. I'm sure there's more to it (haven't looked at crits much), but that's the gist.

V_Arnold

So you are "better off" not playing the game while playing the game? How come?
Also, with the gear I am using to survive in Act3, I am not really able to kill goblins in time, lol. They do not stay in my hydra venom puddles :p
(Not that I want to).

Won

Just give Blizzard some time. They probably can't remove everything at the same time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
His overall point though is that for the so called legit players the game seems great now, and in 2 weeks when they all get into act 3 and 4 and see zero upgrade from act 1, they will be in the same boat as t he op is in, and will realize that this patch was a nice band aid that made things feel nice temporarily but screwed the overall structure of the game.

But the drop rates for higher ilvl loot are higher in Act III, Act IV, and Whimsyshire.

If you can't kill as quickly or reliably, then obviously you're probably better off in Act II, but that doesn't change the fact that drop rates are higher. Perhaps lower than before 1.0.3, but that doesn't matter to anyone who couldn't farm Act III/IV before the patch anyway.

Except that it's boring as all hell.

Yes loot is a big part of this game, but unless you're only interest is selling shit on the auction house, I think it's a lot more fun to actually play the game. Also, thanks to drops being random, you may very well end up with better drops from running through acts rather than mindlessly farming goblins. Obviously goblins may provide you with more chances, but that doesn't mean you're guaranteed to be better off that way.

TheContact

Sounds like somebody who exploited their way to and through act 3/4 inferno is pretty butthurt to me.

He makes legitimate points. Just read the whole thing. I doubt Blizzard is going to make so poor of decisions that it runs D3 into the ground, and these changes were necessary, but he explains what the developer's original intent was and how that was skewed because of the way players were exploiting the economy in a way that the developers didn't expect.

I'm still a big proponent of the "wall" that you were supposed to hit after each act. When I first got to Inferno Act1 as a Monk, I couldn't kill elites for the life of me. I kept grinding things I could kill (vases, goblins etc...) and slowly getting better and better gear until I was able to do consistent Butcher runs. Then I hit the Wall, which is where it started to suck, and I understand why Blizzard made the following acts easier and less of a cockblock. They realize that the average player doesn't want to run the same act over and over for mediocre loot that most likely won't be an upgrade for you. 1.0.3 introducing new ilvls in lower acts allows people like me who were stuck in Act1 to potentially get upgrades in order to actually progress through the content like you're supposed to without being forced to go to the AH. Because that's how the game was set up, it pretty much forced you to go to the AH or do stupid tricks like switch to MF at the last second and/or goblin farm which is really boring and doesn't come close to the experience you would get from progressing through the act, killing elite packs and bosses.

I do think they made the game too easy now. Act 2 feels just like Act 1 in terms of difficulty, aside from a few annoying monster types, instead of keeping the difficulty (while still balancing the damage spikes..because getting 1 shot as a melee class isn't fun). The only thing they needed to do was just fix the damage spikes and make the loot tables much broader, but they really pushed away from their whole "Inferno is super hard, only a small % will finish it" to "Everyone wants to do it, so let's just make it easier"

scy

Can someone give me a basic understanding of how crit dmg / chance would help a monk? Im trying to figure a way to increase my dps. Im currenty at 5% chance 50 crit what happens when you increase those? If they were say 10/100 what is the impact?

It's:

[1 + Crit Chance% * CritDamage%]

That's the multiplier the game uses to adjust the Damage reading on the character sheet.

5% Chance with +50% Crit Damage means that you deal 150% damage 5% of the time or you deal 150% damage one out of every 20 attacks (e.g., 19 hits of 100%, 1 hit of 150% for a total of 2050% Damage over 20 Attacks).

Going to 10%/100% means that you now deal 200% damage one out of every 10 attacks which is 1100% Damage over 10 Attacks or 2200% over 20 if you want to compare it with what it was before.

And, of course, that's "on average." 5% Crit doesn't really guarantee 1 out of every 20 but it's easier to example it that way.

BosSin

Hey, I've just decided to crack open my copy of D3 and just want to make sure I can access the RMAH, I have the authenticator and SMS security enabled. Unfortunately when I try to select currencies it tells me "no other currencies are available".

Can anyone help me with this?

It's obviously still not perfect. (anyone ever think it will be? Honestly?) I'm just not seeing 1.0.3 as some game breaking thing like the OP of that battle.net thread did. He was rattling on about conspiracy theories and how horrible this is for the individual and such.

Efficiency aside ... I would never just farm goblins. Not enough fun. It's why I never gold farmed prior to the vase nerfs. Sure it would have been more efficient, but I would not have enjoyed making money.

For somoene who was running around killing elite packs anyway ... this patch is amazing.

Neki

But the drop rates for higher ilvl loot are higher in Act III, Act IV, and Whimsyshire.

If you can't kill as quickly or reliably, then obviously you're probably better off in Act II, but that doesn't change the fact that drop rates are higher. Perhaps lower than before 1.0.3, but that doesn't matter to anyone who couldn't farm Act III/IV before the patch anyway.

Except that it's boring as all hell.

Yes loot is a big part of this game, but unless you're only interest is selling shit on the auction house, I think it's a lot more fun to actually play the game. Also, thanks to drops being random, you may very well end up with better drops from running through acts rather than mindlessly farming goblins. Obviously goblins may provide you with more chances, but that doesn't mean you're guaranteed to be better off that way.

Whimsyshire isn't even worth it anymore due to the MF nerf for clouds.

For somoene who was running around killing elite packs anyway ... this patch is amazing.
Not for people doing efficient boss runs though. It takes me 40-50 minutes to get the same quality of rares when I use to do Azmo runs before patch 20 minutes each. It's so much more tedious now.

So you are "better off" not playing the game while playing the game? How come?
Also, with the gear I am using to survive in Act3, I am not really able to kill goblins in time, lol. They do not stay in my hydra venom puddles :p
(Not that I want to).
Because for a lot of people, the game isn't fun, and the only reason people are still playing is to sell items on the RMAH? That's my guess.

A2 goblins are easy for someone with shit gear (if you are geared for 10k+ DPS you shouldn't have any problem killing it, and he definitely isn't killing you), if you used similar gear in A2, you'd die.

It's even easier than running around in A1 and killing rare packs, plus the loot is better.

Not for people doing efficient boss runs though. It takes me 40-50 minutes to get the same quality of rares when I use to do Azmo runs before patch 20 minutes each. It's so much more tedious now.

But people complained at how much more difficult elites / champs were compared to bosses prior to the patch. The game felt horriblly out of balance because of that. Get slaughtered by elites, die a bunch and get two crappy blues. Smoke the butcher and get two rares.

The core of the complaints regarding loot is that he (quite rightly, IMO) expects that the expected value per unit time spent farming should be highest when clearing packs at the highest difficultly. That isn't the case right now. You're better off facerolling Act 2 with your extremely geared characters while watching Netflix or Hulu than playing content at an appropriate challenge level.

My fear is that Blizzard's solution will simply be to bring down the EV for Act 1/2 .

The core of the complaints regarding loot is that he (quite rightly, IMO) expects that the expected value per unit time spent farming should be highest when clearing packs at the highest difficultly. That isn't the case right now. You're better off facerolling Act 2 with your extremely geared characters while watching Netflix or Hulu than playing content at an appropriate challenge level.

My fear is that Blizzard's solution will simply be to bring down the EV for Act 1/2 .

The problem is that Blizzard wasn't clear on what they wanted Inferno to be prior to release, so it's a hodgepodge of ideas that are ultimately not satisfying as endgame content. Sad really.

parasight

The new loot system continues to treat me well. Got my 4th legendary in 2 days and a pretty nice amulet.

tLe5T.png
qE4mT.png

I'm only playing like 4-5 hours a day so it's not like I'm farming every waking hour. I've also made about 4 million selling just average to decent rares I've picked up while farming. I usually split my treasures between the AH and RMAH. Made $77 so far and this amulet looks like it'll fetch at least $100.

I think each Act may have its own Legendary loot table. I've gotten all my Legendaries in Act II and I have 2 Gladiator Gauntlets and 2 Azurewraths. My friend who also got two Legendaries in Act II has 2 Lacuni Bracers.

Which would still be better than what it was.

Right, but then we are all in a Korean MMO-ish grinder with terrible real returns on advancement per unit time spent playing unless you resort to the game's effective "cash shop" to get ahead quicker.

Innovative solutions would be better. Stuff like expanding the Act 3/Act 4 loot tables to include higher-end games as rare drops, higher drop rates in Act 3/4 of six-property crafting patterns, and other "unique" drops for the zone would help pull ahead the EV for Act 3/4 champ farming while still retaining the excellent casual farming environment for Act 1/2 (which I feel really hits the mark this patch).

Right, but then we are all in a Korean MMO-ish grinder with terrible real returns on advancement per unit time spent playing unless you resort to the game's effective "cash shop" to get ahead quicker.

Innovative solutions would be better. Stuff like expanding the Act 3/Act 4 loot tables to include higher-end games as rare drops, higher drop rates in Act 3/4 of six-property crafting patterns, and other "unique" drops for the zone would help pull ahead the EV for Act 3/4 champ farming while still retaining the excellent casual farming environment for Act 1/2 (which I feel really hits the mark this patch).

Completely agree.

Tom Penny

It's:

[1 + Crit Chance% * CritDamage%]

That's the multiplier the game uses to adjust the Damage reading on the character sheet.

5% Chance with +50% Crit Damage means that you deal 150% damage 5% of the time or you deal 150% damage one out of every 20 attacks (e.g., 19 hits of 100%, 1 hit of 150% for a total of 2050% Damage over 20 Attacks).

Going to 10%/100% means that you now deal 200% damage one out of every 10 attacks which is 1100% Damage over 10 Attacks or 2200% over 20 if you want to compare it with what it was before.

And, of course, that's "on average." 5% Crit doesn't really guarantee 1 out of every 20 but it's easier to example it that way.
Thanks a bunch. Do you know if the overall dps on the inventory includes crit dmg / chance?

neoism

lol WTFBlizzard fucking REEEALLLY needs to fix this... I have no idea what I just sold lol 9.77 :p gonna buy an awesome one hander with it... it blizz bucks so it isn't realy money. :p Still they really need to let us click the name in the completed tab so poeple can remember better what they sold... I more than likely made that guy some moeny but... what ever...

gold is fucking ridiculously harder to get... now.... went though all of act 3 with 5 stacks and only made about 200k....
io9GlfF3WWB6Y.jpg

BosSin

Hey, I've just decided to crack open my copy of D3 and just want to make sure I can access the RMAH, I have the authenticator and SMS security enabled. Unfortunately when I try to select currencies it tells me "no other currencies are available".

Can anyone help me with this?

Anyone?

MrDenny

wth, blizzard just locked my account.
Due to recent in-game activity your account has been disabled.
I just bought a cheap peace of armor and then I immediately get my account locked.

Won

It would be nice, but after how the first few weeks went down I doubt Blizzard is risking anything like that for a while.

I also need to try out post patch Act 1. So far Act 3 rewards seem ok to me compared to my old Act 1 kill speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom