• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Death, what you are describing right here is itemization. WoW is itemized differently, what you are not describing is RNG. RNG is just /rand 100, its got nothing to do with the actual itemization. WoW works the way it does because it used fixed items with fixed stats, it then uses RNG to decide whether or not that item drops. Its itemized differently than D3 is. D3 doesnt use fixed stat items outside of select legendaries, but even those have randomly chosen stats on them with random values.

You are saying you dont like the itemization. Not the RNG. Saying you dont like the RNG in D3 versus WoW makes no sense, because random is random. You dont like the way the itemization is. /rand 100 is the same no matter the game, its the itemization design that differentiates the two.
Bad itemization is the displayed item. In WoW it's when they decided a wepon that would otherwise be good for a warrior has spirit. RNG is the % to drop and parry, dodge, etc.

In D3 it's the shitty RNG that creates the bad itemization. And that's my issue. The RNG. And there's so much bad itemization allowed through their RNG because there's a lot of gear on the AH with good itemization. Each time a rare drops, RNG decides the itemization that's good or bad when we look at it.

I know what I'm saying and I know what I mean.

The thing that creates X is more important to blame than X.

In WoW, you blame an employee for putting spirit on an item for bad itemization. You get pissed off at the RNG drop rates.
In D3 you blame RNG for creating bad itemization. You also can get pissed of at ilevel63 drop rates.

Ketch

It is possible the people for which the game wasn't too hard have become more vocal while the other group was more vocal beforehand.

Exactly... and I venture to say the people who were complaining about it being too hard have probably already moved on or will soon anyway.... The people who were okay with the difficulty are the ones who will still be around to deal with the mess .

linsivvi

How long does it take you? I basically do the entire act. takes about 3 hours but I kill way more champs than what you've described up there.

The main reason I do everything is because even if a few of the champs are in slightly inefficient to get to areas, starting over brings the inefficiency of having to kill 5 champs without 5 stacks.

I used to do that too, but it gets tedious after a while. So I avoid areas I don't like and go for a higher efficiency. I haven't timed it but it should be around 45 minutes.

[*]Desolate sands has the two ZK dungeons which can have 2-4 elites each and resplendent chests at the end of both (terrible drops but whatever). Avoid these if you're scared of tight places though.

Yeah Desolate sands and the side dungeons have tons of elites. I just don't like it because it's a large area but with high density of trash mobs. There's like a fight every 2 steps. Takes too long to kill them all and I can't just ignore them like in Act 1.

The sewers are nice too, but I just don't like the area. :p

eek5

How long does it take you? I basically do the entire act. takes about 3 hours but I kill way more champs than what you've described up there.

The main reason I do everything is because even if a few of the champs are in slightly inefficient to get to areas, starting over brings the inefficiency of having to kill 5 champs without 5 stacks.

I basically do the whole act too. After I get 3-4 stacks, I hit up ZK and do 2 of the key dungeons, kill ZK, then clear his shadow realm. After that I'll do whatever until I get bored. There are times in Dalgar(sp) oasis or the area between Alcarnus and Black Canyon Mines where I'll kill like 3 champ packs in the span of 2 minutes. (I don't track the time; but I kill it before my CD on WotB is done so..)

The last time I timed it, I cleared 43 champ packs/bosses in 77mins.

I basically do the whole act too. After I get 3-4 stacks, I hit up ZK and do 2 of the key dungeons, kill ZK, then clear his shadow realm. After that I'll do whatever until I get bored. There are times in Dalgar(sp) oasis or the area between Alcarnus and Black Canyon Mines where I'll kill like 3 champ packs in the span of 2 minutes. (I don't track the time; but I kill it before my CD on WotB is done so..)

The last time I timed it, I cleared 43 champ packs/bosses in 77mins.

Huh, definitely quite a bit faster than me. Maybe we can group sometime just so I can see how you run it? My stats are pretty good and I can rape everything that comes my way, including 2 champ packs at the same time, so i doubt I'd drag you down :p

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This is my Act 2 farming routine:

Start with the Soulstone Chamber quest.
Take the way point to Black Canyon Mine and clear the area and caves, there should be about 3 groups of elites.
Go to Howling Plateau and do the same.
Take the way point to Road to Alcarnus. It's a small area that often spawns a goblin, so clear it.
Go to the first part of Alcarnus and clear the 1-2 elite that spawns there.
Take the way point to Path to the Oasis. Clear everything there and don't forget to check the 2 places where the Mysterious Cave might appear.
Take the way point to Ancient Path and see if the goblin is there.
Take the way point to the Archives and clear the 3 dungeons then kill Zoltun Kulle.
If you can comfortably kill Belial, then do the rest of the quest and kill him plus the elite right before him.

I would suggest that you clear the 3 dungeons in the terminus first, get 5 stacks, kill Kulle, then activate the Belial quest. Once you do that, clear out the rest of the act with your Leah and Adria distraction tanks. It's the new Tyrael.

Edit: Or you can just start on the the kill Belial quest from the start, that way you won't have to go through the annoying save the villagers part first.

eek5

Huh, definitely quite a bit faster than me. Maybe we can group sometime just so I can see how you run it? My stats are pretty good and I can rape everything that comes my way, including 2 champ packs at the same time, so i doubt I'd drag you down :p

Sure. I'm eek#1673

My general strategy is to just skip all trash mobs by sprinting past them. I'll usually only stop and kill groups if they're completely blocking my path (I don't use leap or FC in a2 so I can't move past them if they surround me). I don't carry any MF and only pick up iL61-63 items so I spend less time salvaging.

I also sometimes pick up iL60 stuff like bracers and gloves because those can be pretty good if they get godly rolls but I never, ever touch any weapons under iL61.

Hmm i cleared act 3 hell from siege engines to end and got like 50-60 rares total but of those only 3-4 were sellable and even then they will <200k on AH.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sure. I'm eek#1673

My general strategy is to just skip all trash mobs by sprinting past them.

Yeah, my strategy is to just run the whole map until I have 2 or 3 boss packs following me, then pop berserker and kill them all in one go. Blizzard really needs to balance the gameplay more so that there is a reason that players want to kill regular mobs too. Perhaps, like, an NV buff for every 700 monsters killed, or maybe like a "fake" level up that grants you a boost every time you acquire a certain amount of XP (sorta like leveling up in Samurai Warriors even after you hit max level. You just get the temporary stat boost from it.)

Sure. I'm eek#1673

My general strategy is to just skip all trash mobs by sprinting past them. I'll usually only stop and kill groups if they're completely blocking my path (I don't use leap or FC in a2 so I can't move past them if they surround me). I don't carry any MF and only pick up iL61-63 items so I spend less time salvaging.

I also sometimes pick up iL60 stuff like bracers and gloves because those can be pretty good if they get godly rolls but I never, ever touch any weapons under iL61.

Yea all that stuff would definitely help. I guess I need to learn the names of all the ilvl 61-63 stuff, I never know what anything is, except of course for the ilvl 63 stuff i know by name.

I've actually been building an MF set that is also a dps / tanking set so I don't need to worry about swapping or any of that shit. It seems to work wonders. It's expensive though.

RDreamer

Man, that was the most awesome thing. I finally pushed through Heart of Sin and into Azmodan on inferno with a friend of mine. Azmo was easy as hell, though Cydea (however you spell that was pretty tough). Then I got into an Act 4 game and stuck around after the first quest, and we completely cleared through Diablo in one fell swoop. We pretty much didn't have any trouble with any elites at al. Ran through them all like butter. The party was Monk (me), Monk, Wizard, and Wizard. My best parties have always been 2 monks and 2 DPS. Me and the other monk tanked well and often split up the elites. We also beat Diablo (on our 2nd try), but we still had a 5 stack of NV. I seriously can't believe how much easier things are with a good group.

So, yeah. Diablo 3 completed with 139 hours and 50 minutes on my Monk.

Anustart

Yea all that stuff would definitely help. I guess I need to learn the names of all the ilvl 61-63 stuff, I never know what anything is, except of course for the ilvl 63 stuff i know by name.

I've actually been building an MF set that is also a dps / tanking set so I don't need to worry about swapping or any of that shit. It seems to work wonders. It's expensive though.

Thats what I'm building. I lose 10k dps and some survivability, but I roll in my mf suit all the time and enjoy not swapping.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I would suggest that you clear the 3 dungeons in the terminus first, get 5 stacks, kill Kulle, then activate the Belial quest. Once you do that, clear out the rest of the act with your Leah and Adria distraction tanks. It's the new Tyrael.

Edit: Or you can just start on the the kill Belial quest from the start, that way you won't have to go through the annoying save the villagers part first.

I just take the 60 seconds to run around and talk to them all. If they live or not, well they can figure that out.

Neki

Man, that was the most awesome thing. I finally pushed through Heart of Sin and into Azmodan on inferno with a friend of mine. Azmo was easy as hell, though Cydea (however you spell that was pretty tough). Then I got into an Act 4 game and stuck around after the first quest, and we completely cleared through Diablo in one fell swoop. We pretty much didn't have any trouble with any elites at al. Ran through them all like butter. The party was Monk (me), Monk, Wizard, and Wizard. My best parties have always been 2 monks and 2 DPS. Me and the other monk tanked well and often split up the elites. We also beat Diablo (on our 2nd try), but we still had a 5 stack of NV. I seriously can't believe how much easier things are with the huge 1.03 nerf.

So, yeah. Diablo 3 completed with 139 hours and 50 minutes on my Monk.

fixed

i'd like to be able to just run past all the trash mobs and go straight to the elite packs, but my OCD won't allow it. it also doesn't help that I found my first and only set item drop off a random zombie in act 1 inferno, halls of agony level 2. Every enemy I see that I try to run past, I just think what could have dropped if I went back and killed it. And then I run back and kill it and nothing drops

Anybody know if it's possible for ideal elite spawns to happen on both floors of Cave of the Betrayer? Also are there any good ways of managing the elites with minimal deaths? There don't seem to be any places I can drag them and leave them behind.

Is there a description anywhere which wizard skills depend on DPS and which on weapon damage and also which ones benefit from LoH ?

Anybody know if it's possible for ideal elite spawns to happen on both floors of Cave of the Betrayer? Also are there any good ways of managing the elites with minimal deaths? There don't seem to be any places I can drag them and leave them behind.

Get them close to checkpoint where you start - then after death when you are invisible run away from them while they are busy murdering your templar :)

eek5

thoserings.jpg

Look how many rings I got from my last run.. lol. They all had sockets.. and they were all terrible. Feels good man.

It is bugged right now afaik; it basically just adds x% damage. Seems like something they'd fix it down the line so stack it at your own risk.

equil

So with amazing gear, i was able to get my Barb to level 60 and all the way through Inferno in 31 hours.

If anyone needs help on inferno with any bosses let me know.

Kind of see where I'm going with my monk now with this build

My plan is to stack crit chance to around 35-40% and use Quickening to keep me permanently at full spirit. That'll allow me to pop Mantra of Evasion every few seconds keeping my dodge chance in the mid 50s.

I also intend to get as much Life per Spirit Spent (aiming for about 150) so that when I do pop a Mantra I'll get back a significant chunk of health. I'll also have Tempest Rush for both manoeuvrability as well as a spirit dump. Life on Hit is becoming increasingly expensive so I'll only invest about 600.

Only problem is getting my crit chance that high is going to run me around 50M (currently on 23 with none on amulet, bracers, helm and one ring) and I'll have to get fists with 45+ LpSS a piece

linsivvi

Wow great idea. Gonna do that next time for sure!

Xanathus

It is bugged right now afaik; it basically just adds x% damage. Seems like something they'd fix it down the line so stack it at your own risk.

Also note that it only works on skills that do not change the elemental type, e.g. it will work with Nether Tentacles but not with Ball Lightning. Found that out the hard way through experimenting with a Storm Crow.

ElyrionX

Bad itemization is the displayed item. In WoW it's when they decided a wepon that would otherwise be good for a warrior has spirit. RNG is the % to drop and parry, dodge, etc.

In D3 it's the shitty RNG that creates the bad itemization. And that's my issue. The RNG. And there's so much bad itemization allowed through their RNG because there's a lot of gear on the AH with good itemization. Each time a rare drops, RNG decides the itemization that's good or bad when we look at it.

I know what I'm saying and I know what I mean.

The thing that creates X is more important to blame than X.

In WoW, you blame an employee for putting spirit on an item for bad itemization. You get pissed off at the RNG drop rates.
In D3 you blame RNG for creating bad itemization. You also can get pissed of at ilevel63 drop rates.

No, the issue with the itemization in D3 isn't the fact that the RNG allows items with poor and conflicting stats to get through. The issue is that there is a severe lack of interesting affixes as well as interesting unique legendary items to aim for.

You're just bitching about the RNG because 99% of your drops are bad. People forget that this was an issue in D2 as well; high level runes and uniques dropped very very rarely. In fact, I would say that the RNG is a lot more forgiving in D3 than in D2 (due to the fact that rares can spawn with powerful affixes as well) and the tedium of farming/grinding is alleviated significantly by the existence of the AH. No one would ever claim that the itemization in D2 is bad and yet the RNG was more punishing in that game than in D3.

Anustart

Is 18% mf the max on a ring? Such an odd value to be the max, but I couldn't find higher on the ah. Was about to list it on gah for 25k, decided to look at prices, quickly placed on rmah and it sold instantly for 5 bucks.

Edit : In response to the post above me, I agree 100%. Itemization in terms of conflicting stats is to be expected from a Diablo game. No one uses Dex and Int combo? Too bad, items will have it. Interesting affixes are missing though. What we have in this game are so straight forward and boring.

Bad-ish example here, but I liked in D2 that I had a 5% chance to proc the attack that Diablo himself uses while carrying a torch. Just little things like that made items great in that game.

ElyrionX

Is 18% mf the max on a ring? Such an odd value to be the max, but I couldn't find higher on the ah. Was about to list it on gah for 25k, decided to look at prices, quickly placed on rmah and it sold instantly for 5 bucks.

Edit : In response to the post above me, I agree 100%. Itemization in terms of conflicting stats is to be expected from a Diablo game. No one uses Dex and Int combo? Too bad, items will have it. Interesting affixes are missing though. What we have in this game are so straight forward and boring.

Bad-ish example here, but I liked in D2 that I had a 5% chance to proc the attack that Diablo himself uses while carrying a torch. Just little things like that made items great in that game.

Precisely. You had +2 to all skills, chance to proc spells on hit, auras on equip and stuff like that in D2 which made it fun. You had weapons so unique (the Ice bow, for example) that builds were created revolving around that single item.

You can see some interesting affixes in D3 here and there but the problem is that the magnitude of these affixes are severely lacking. 2.5% chance to chill on hit? 4% more chance to crit when using a specific skill? 5% more damge with a skill? Yawn. It's just all very mundane and there's really nothing much to get excited about.

I was wondering if inferno whymsyshire is worth it, and if it is some kind soul could invite me to their game so I can pick up the plan for it.

maharg

idspispopd
I still do not get why we compare late D2exp additions to vanilla D3, when we know that new items and new affixes are coming.

Well, maybe it's because D3 is a sequel to D2X and not to plain vanilla D2. Seems a bit silly to go backwards before going forwards again and sell it for more than you'll eventually sell the finished product at.

Just a thought.

Zzoram

I really hope the expansion pack brings more interesting Legendary items and affixes.

If we're lucky, they might even make a few existing Legendary items have the potential to spawn better affixes whenever they patch to buff them.

V_Arnold

Because sequels are supposed to build on things established in previous games and add even more stuff to them?

Well, maybe it's because D3 is a sequel to D2X and not to plain vanilla D2. Seems a bit silly to go backwards before going forwards again and sell it for more than you'll eventually sell the finished product at.

Just a thought.

It is a viewpoint, but I do not see many games that express that in reality. Did DMC2 build on DMC1? Or DMC3 on DMC2? Did Torchlight II keep the classes and the content of the original? RPG games? FPS games? I see many sequels where they rebuild the content base and they expand on that later on.

Hell, even the stat-heavy stuff like Heroes kept going back and forth, never just "expanding on the predecessors", but leaving a lot behind.

I think that it makes a lot of sense to get the vanilla content out of the gates, then start expanding it with affixes that are unique to D3, and not D2. I expect skill rune additions, not D2 affixes like chance to proc a skill on hit or some auras or spell damage type absorbs. And definitely not bullshit Enigmas.

And also, we could argue whether the rune system is already a huge leap forward compared to anything seen before in this genre. I believe it to be so, others might not share this viewpoint. And it is not like they wont try to make the currently "seen as useless" runes into a more useful shape.

Biggest problem of D3 is many people played D2 years ago so they remember mostly goodly gear or fun stuff they were doing but don't remember how many times more grindy D2 was and how shitty the loot there was.

Only reason why you could finish D2 with drops is because D2 hell level is at most nightmare of D3 difficulty wise.

Zzoram

Biggest problem of D3 is many people played D2 years ago so they remember mostly goodly gear or fun stuff they were doing but don't remember how many times more grindy D2 was and how shitty the loot there was.

Only reason why you could finish D2 with drops is because D2 hell level is at most nightmare of D3 difficulty wise.

Ya, D2 Hell wasn't that hard and gear was still a bitch to find. I played probably a thousand hours and never found any of the top tier uniques, runes, charms, and never even fought Super Diablo. I don't even know which patch added Super Diablo.

Most of the top tier uniques floating around were probably dupes anyways.

Less and less money and items are seemingly selling on GAH.

I'm really hitting a wall now with upgrades where I need millions but nothing I find it actually selling even though it is worth millions itself.

Not sure what's happening. Been stuck in limbo since Saturday.

Is there just less "real" gold flowing through AH, is it a case where the rich are rich and need hundreds of millions worth of items and the others can't afford the prices even if the said items are worth it?

ElyrionX

Less and less money and items are seemingly selling on GAH.

I'm really hitting a wall now with upgrades where I need millions but nothing I find it actually selling even though it is worth millions itself.

Not sure what's happening. Been stuck in limbo since Saturday.

Is there just less "real" gold flowing through AH, is it a case where the rich are rich and need hundreds of millions worth of items and the others can't afford the prices even if the said items are worth it?

You're probably overpricing your items

Danj

Items are worth what they sell for.

If your items aren't selling, relist for a lower price.

Is there a guide anywhere to a) how to determine whether an item is worth anything or should just be vendored/salvaged and b) how to determine what price to list an item at? I've tried several times to sell items on the RMAH, based on looking at prices that similar items are listed at, but I must be doing it wrong as even when I list things at really low prices they never sell.

zoukka

Do they have homeless people hired to keep things together at blizzard? I hate to say it ,but that's just fucking pathetic.

syllogism

Do they have homeless people hired to keep things together at blizzard? I hate to say it ,but that's just fucking pathetic.
People keep saying that it's bugged, but I saw someone actually doing tests and at least +poison dmg on zunimassa boots wasn't adding damage.

You're probably overpricing your items

Well no, I'm undercutting by a LARGE amount of almost all items.

I even round DOWN all the stats when I search for similar items by 10-15 on the stats etc.

I think the problems is a lot of the items I'm trying to sell have four or more 'ideal' stats lined up and in the AH you can only prioritize three. So while my amulet has INT/VIT/CrtDMG/AtkSpd people can't specify they want the whole package and naturally drop a stat out for a lesser upgrade.

I'm all for lowering prices, I do every time I re-list. It's an observation.

HenryHSH

You don't need to grind your ass off for weeks to finish hell in D2. Also, you felt like a badass killing mobs while farming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom