• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

If you can't farm Act 2 or Act 3 efficiently, then farm Act 1, because the loot is just as good. Why struggle in Act 2 or Act 3 when you just get more loot in an efficient manner in Act 1?

Because I'm spending more time sorting out shit loot than actually killing elites.

Oh wait, that's true for every act.

Radec

Only mobs from the sewers that I take note of are the snakes though :p

Maybe it's because I'm a ranged class that kites?

Hmmn.. I think the mobs name Accursed or something. Those ninja monsters that can teleport right next to you and kill you in 2 hits. They made my wiz their bitch for some hours. lol

aznpxdd

If you can't farm Act 2 or Act 3 efficiently, then farm Act 1, because the loot is just as good. Why struggle in Act 2 or Act 3 when you just get more loot in an efficient manner in Act 1?

Yeah, I've been farming Act I for awhile now. But it gets boring ya know, so I wanted to try Act 2 and Act 3, its been so long since I've seen a new environment...

balddemon

Banned
Hmmn.. I think the mobs name Accursed or something. Those ninja monsters that can teleport right next to you and kill you in 2 hits. They made my wiz their bitch for some hours. lol

those things are annoying too because when they die they pop and spew noxious gas

Just seen a weapon on the ah that has a bid on it for 110 million:

c72AN.jpg

Damn..

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Because I'm spending more time sorting out shit loot than actually killing elites.

The UI needs so much work.

Some trivial but important changes:
1. An additional column for potions and gems that don't move. Potions should be able to stack 999 here.
2. Gems and potions should auto-loot like gold
3. Starting at latest in inferno, rares should NOT have ? marks.
4. There should be an option at the vendor that sells all, except for the stuff in #1. And an undo button.

This is trivial, trivial, entry level 3 week project stuff. Absolutely no reason not to implement it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The term in this game, which has already been established and defined by the community, is "itemization". Even in games like WoW, RNG means "the chance for a dropped item to be something good". Well sorry, but the "chance for a dropped item to be something good" is not "affected by the AH".

But yea, I agree it's a little silly to keep arguing, because a) I agree with his original point, which is that itemization sucks, and b) I'm having more fun playing the game than arguing.
RNG is a way for anything in a game to be random.
http://www.wowpedia.org/RNG
Loot, dodge, and parry,whatever.

The stats on Diablo 3 loot are "random", thus they use RNG.

They allowed gear to be so crazily random and for you to not find much or no gear for yourself because you're meant to use the AH.

Thus, the loot RNG is affected by/considers the existance of the AH. An no, it doesn't mater what's currently on the AH. The values in their programming matter whether the AH is live or dead.

It's simple man.

The D3 and WoW community, Blizzard community, are going to use the same terms.

I can say loot RNG over itemization if I want.

Actually, you must like to argue.

dwebo

simple solution is just to not pick up <lvl 60 loot, except for rings/amulets. 99.9% chance it's shit anyway, compared to 95% for ilvl 61+. I don't even pick up potions or gems, either. no need to sort, just salvage everything

plus, for example in act 2, you're identifying ilvl 63 every 4/35 instead of every 4/100 so psychologically, it feels like you're getting better loot more often

finally got a legendary drop that wasn't shit...

GvcMX.jpg

never seen an eternal union with this much strength. actually doing a search for rings with 200 strength only 4 rings show up. might keep this for my 2 hand barb tank I'm fucking around with.

Cagey

Banned
Annnnd there goes my first HC character, naturally because of Battle.net disconnecting me.

Brings back fond memories of post-launch D2C HC...

Neki

Yeah, I've been farming Act I for awhile now. But it gets boring ya know, so I wanted to try Act 2 and Act 3, its been so long since I've seen a new environment...

Yeah I know, I'm talking about people complaining that Act 3 isn't giving them good shit when they die 5 times a run.

parasight

Just sold this amulet.

Put it up for $250 at first but no one bought it. Tried $150 bid with a $200 buyout. Someone just bid last second to get it for $150. I'm not even mad. Made about $250 on the RMAH so far.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Drop Smoke Screen, get Preparation with the battle scars rune for the extra healing pot + discipline refill

Yeah I haven't been too convinced about usefulness of Smoke Screen. I don't get the hype. The discipline cost is too high for a mere 1.5 seconds.

Neki

Yeah I haven't been too convinced about usefulness of Smoke Screen. I don't get the hype. The discipline cost is too high for a mere 1.5 seconds.

Smokescreen is basically needed for Jailer. If you get any gapclosing affix with Jailer and you don't have SS, you probably will die.

BigDug13

It's invincibility, not just invisibility. As soon as I'm taking any bit of damage, like I realize I've been desecrated, or jailed, or I am about to get cornered and need to move back through to the other side of the pack to start my kite again, I pop it and run. But since Evasive Fire is my hatred generating attack of choice, I also use the passive to give me 2 seconds of +65% run speed when I use either one. I only need a second of invincibility just to move myself out of damage range, so I usually choose the 12 discipline rune to squeeze maybe one more SS before I run out.

Lots of +Discipline gear lets you use it pretty often and allows improves the value of Preparation.

Honestly, without Tactical Advantage Passive, it wouldn't be nearly as useful to me though. That passive turns it into a huge escape tool.

Trickster

Smokescreen is basically needed for Jailer. If you get any gapclosing affix with Jailer and you don't have SS, you probably will die.

So are you advocating having both smoke screen and vault? Because I've tried using Smoke Screen, and it's definitely useful for avoiding those rare jailed deaths. But as a sole means of putting distance between you and a champion/rare pack, it is godawful. You bassically need to be able to kill them in like 10 to 15 seconds depending on how much discipline you have.

As someone who dropped Vault for SS, you'll get a lot more utility out of SS. Vault even with Tactical Advantage won't save you from fast mobs.

Best bet is Caltrops with Torturous Ground for creating distance and SS + Lingering Shadow during emergency situations

Stack as much discipline as possible, obviously

if I have a source for my wizard that does plus 56 - 205 will another one on the auction house that is plus 95 - 324 be a large improvement?/! mine has better stats, but i'm at 33kdps... if it raises it by five thousand i'll buy it??

Please someone answer quickly i'd like to purchase this

Neki

So are you advocating having both smoke screen and vault? Because I've tried using Smoke Screen, and it's definitely useful for avoiding those rare jailed deaths. But as a sole means of putting distance between you and a champion/rare pack, it is godawful. You bassically need to be able to kill them in like 10 to 15 seconds depending on how much discipline you have.

No, I don't run Vault. I run Caltrops and shoot at enemies slightly off screen. Only time that doesn't work at entrances.

zoukka

One can only grind the same (braindead easy) content for so long...

Act2-3 at least resemble a videogame for my characater.

Neki

One can only grind the same (braindead easy) content for so long...

Act2-3 at least resemble a videogame for my characater.

I understand that, I say that to people who are consistently struggling in Act 3. I still run Act 3 because I have a chance of dying.

eek5

Okay, stats from my first 5 elite run on Act 3!

Time spent: Roughly 40 minutes
Deaths: 10
Potion Bill: 6,000
Repair Costs: 10,000
Items Found: 8 magic, 0 rare (from all enemies and chests)
Total Value: 2,100

Highlights include the highest level item (ilvl 61), with +44 arcan resist, -10 level requirement, and nothing else; and a level 60 quiver that is so shitty it's only worth 131 gold.

Including gold found along the way, a net loss of about 10,000. At this rate I can continue playing Act 3 for about 4 more hours before I am completely broke.

There was one Treasure Goblin along the way but even with Tyreal's help and no monsters around I couldn't kill it before I left because I can't deal enough damage.

Wait.. why are you only killing 5?

They really need to archive the stats of items sold on the AH, I'm too lazy to screenshot everything I put on there and I hate not remembering what I've sold

eek5

if I have a source for my wizard that does plus 56 - 205 will another one on the auction house that is plus 95 - 324 be a large improvement?/! mine has better stats, but i'm at 33kdps... if it raises it by five thousand i'll buy it??

Please someone answer quickly i'd like to purchase this

The best way to figure this out is take your current weapon, let's say 500-1000 damage. Add the min-max damage together and divide by two (500+1000)/2 = 750. Then add the average source damage to it (56+205)/2=130 so 880 total. Now do the same thing with the new source which would get you 959 total. Now find the difference:

(959-880)/880 = 0.09 or 9% increase in damage

That's just base though. Having huge stat bonuses will make things more complicated but you can probably look for some dps calculator or something to help.

Any tips/guide on crafting ?

Pull the lever and hope you land on 3 cherries man. Don't salvage all your garbage until you check prices. If you haven't used all your slots you can at least beat the price on essences ... lol

Ketch

I don't know about lot of his more specific suggestions... but he definitely got one thing right: The game needs a ladder system. The game is about leveling a dude and getting the loot... but if you're max level and have all the gear there's nothing to do... and it doesn't take long enough.

Which also brings up the point of tons of people complaining about it being to hard before 1.03... now tons of people complaining about it being too easy after 1.03... and then if they fix repair costs it's just gonna be that much easier.

blizzard has developed themselves into a corner it seems. Time to stick by there guns or fold like a cheap suit.

zoukka

So if I have about 500 all res and 3k armor, should I be looking for to raise my armor as a WD with new gear? Or at least not worry about raising all res further without booosting my armor first...

eek5

So if I have about 500 all res and 3k armor, should I be looking for to raise my armor as a WD with new gear? Or at least not worry about raising all res further without booosting my armor first...

You'll definitely get more bang for your buck by getting your armor to 5k before raising your resists more.

Cipherr

Where are you farming in Act 2?

I start at the 'The Black Soulstone' quest. But I dont go collect the items and kill kulle right away. I portal around and run the deserts killing packs. Around Alcarnus, the ones just before where Magdas entrance is, the ones in the desert just outside of the Caldeum, hit the sewers then go collect the items for Kulle which have like 3 packs in each portal give or take. Then kill kulle, which leads right into killing belial immediately afterwards. Restart game repeat.

No offense, but I think you're not taking into consideration what RNG actually means in the Blizzard communities such as WoW and Diablo.

No actually he is taking RNG for exactly what it means. They arent letters, they have meaning Random Number Generator, and the WoW and Diablo community use it by that same definition. The man is right.

You just don't get it.

In WoW there is a finite number of items that exist in the game, that all have the same stats, and a finite number of items that can drop a week in a raid per character. The RNG is simply the % chance to drop.

Death, what you are describing right here is itemization. WoW is itemized differently, what you are not describing is RNG. RNG is just /rand 100, its got nothing to do with the actual itemization. WoW works the way it does because it used fixed items with fixed stats, it then uses RNG to decide whether or not that item drops. Its itemized differently than D3 is. D3 doesnt use fixed stat items outside of select legendaries, but even those have randomly chosen stats on them with random values.

You are saying you dont like the itemization. Not the RNG. Saying you dont like the RNG in D3 versus WoW makes no sense, because random is random. You dont like the way the itemization is. /rand 100 is the same no matter the game, its the itemization design that differentiates the two.

They really need to archive the stats of items sold on the AH, I'm too lazy to screenshot everything I put on there and I hate not remembering what I've sold

You can shift-click the gold icon in your sold items list to link it into chat

after you add the funds to your stash you can't do it though. they definitely need to change it so that you can see how much your shit sold for later on and what exactly it was

Radec

Anyone here selling their account ?

I'm in need for another account for my brother and just trying my luck here if anyone is done with the game.

You can keep the items ofcourse. Just dont delete the characters if you have any. :)

Just hit me up thru pm.

Thanks

zoukka

Also how do the "adds x elemental damage" modifiers work exactly? I have to do poison damage with a skill/weapon to activate x = poison?

eek5

You can shift-click the gold icon in your sold items list to link it into chat

after you add the funds to your stash you can't do it though. they definitely need to change it so that you can see how much your shit sold for later on and what exactly it was

The thing that kills me is that it's all there!. I mean the link data for the item is in the coins, there are transaction IDs for everything... they just choose not to display any of it to you in an easy way. It's really apparent that nobody tested this shit or understands what a user would want.

I mean did any monks even playtest the AH? How did they find any relevant gear with the right resists using only 3 search parameters? :lol

linsivvi

This is my Act 2 farming routine:

Start with the Soulstone Chamber quest.
Take the way point to Black Canyon Mine and clear the area and caves, there should be about 3 groups of elites.
Go to Howling Plateau and do the same.
Take the way point to Road to Alcarnus. It's a small area that often spawns a goblin, so clear it.
Go to the first part of Alcarnus and clear the 1-2 elite that spawns there.
Take the way point to Path to the Oasis. Clear everything there and don't forget to check the 2 places where the Mysterious Cave might appear.
Take the way point to Ancient Path and see if the goblin is there.
Take the way point to the Archives and clear the 3 dungeons then kill Zoltun Kulle.
If you can comfortably kill Belial, then do the rest of the quest and kill him plus the elite right before him.

Take the way point to Black Canyon Mine and clear the area and caves, there should be about 3 groups of elites.
Take the way point to Road to Alcarnus. It's a small area that often spawns a goblin, so clear it.
Take the way point to Path to the Oasis. Clear everything there and don't forget to check the 2 places where the Mysterious Cave might appear.
Take the way point to the Archives and clear the 3 dungeons then kill Zoltun Kulle.
If you can comfortably kill Belial, then do the rest of the quest and kill him plus the elite right before him.

How long does it take you? I basically do the entire act. takes about 3 hours but I kill way more champs than what you've described up there.

The main reason I do everything is because even if a few of the champs are in slightly inefficient to get to areas, starting over brings the inefficiency of having to kill 5 champs without 5 stacks.

sleepykyo

Which also brings up the point of tons of people complaining about it being to hard before 1.03... now tons of people complaining about it being too easy after 1.03... and then if they fix repair costs it's just gonna be that much easier.

I wonder how much of an overlap between the 2 there are. It is possible the people for which the game wasn't too hard have become more vocal while the other group was more vocal beforehand.

Neki

Anyone here selling their account ?

I'm in need for another account for my brother and just trying my luck here if anyone is done with the game.

You can keep the items ofcourse. Just dont delete the characters if you have any. :)

Just hit me up thru pm.

Thanks

I don't think people are going to sell their b.net accounts. :p

eek5

to add to your run:

• Sewers can have 1-2 elites and is very small.
  • Desolate sands has the two ZK dungeons which can have 2-4 elites each and resplendent chests at the end of both (terrible drops but whatever). Avoid these if you're scared of tight places though.
  • From Path to Oasis, drop back down into the sewers.. there is usually 1-2 elites in a small area

Also the area in between Alcarnus and the Khasim(sp?) outpost can have a goblin and 2 elites there too. There is also the necromancer side quest which always spawns a pack.

Also from Alcarnus, I'll run towards Magdha's lair and check for 1-2 packs. Then I'll go into Magdha's lair and TP back to Alcarnus WP and then clear backwards; TP and go to Khasim outpost, then TP and go to Black Canyon Mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom