• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

eek5

Yeah, you'll prob get it in 2 hours if you had a wow account for at least a year because you're a trusted customer that wouldn't do a charge back or whatever. That's my theory at least.

I think it depends on both accounts. I've had 2 transactions where my items showed up in my completed list instantly. I only use blizzbucks and have never had a WoW account.

With Blizzard, when in doubt, always assume it's something simple and/or stupid. Like an intentional design choice. Usually is the case. >_>;

It was probably to prevent botters from dominating specific markets or in testing they couldn't find any items with 6 stat searches because only one person was testing the AH and there were only 5 helmets on the entire thing or something stupid.

Sophia

It was probably to prevent botters from dominating specific markets or in testing they couldn't find any items with 6 stat searches because only one person was testing the AH and there were only 5 helmets on the entire thing or something stupid.

I'm still at awe that the auction house doesn't have all of the functionality of even World of Warcraft's auction house.

eek5

I'm still at awe that the auction house doesn't have all of the functionality of even World of Warcraft's auction house.

Never seen WoW AH but it's pretty clear that not very many people used the D3 AH before release. I mean all it would take is a single monk to try to buy equipment from it to realize it is completely fucked up.

Yeah, the AH interface is shit, no question. At the very least you should be able to search on 5 properties as well as being able to filter by maximum bid. Not to mention being able to watch items (yes, I know of the workaround, but it's not really the point).

Sophia

Never seen WoW AH but it's pretty clear that not very many people used the D3 AH before release. I mean all it would take is a single monk to try to buy equipment from it to realize it is completely fucked up.

The weirdest part is that the WoW AH lets you search by item name, and there's just as many equally worthless items that can be put up there. They also let you set the length of the auction. Baffling that those two basic features that been in WoW for years, yet are missing from D3's auction.

It also makes pricing a total bitch, as you can't compare directly with other items on the market. Cue equipment varying WILDLY in price.

I won't even get into all the AH mods for WoW that add even more significant and needed functionality.

GJS

The weirdest part is that the WoW AH lets you search by item name, and there's just as many equally worthless items that can be put up there. They also let you set the length of the auction. Baffling that those two basic features that been in WoW for years, yet are missing from D3's auction.

It also makes pricing a total bitch, as you can't compare directly with other items on the market. Cue equipment varying WILDLY in price.

I won't even get into all the AH mods for WoW that add even more significant and needed functionality.

D3 rares have randomly generated names from a dictionary, so wouldn't really be any use for that.

You can however already search for legendaries and set items by name.

theta11

D3 rares have randomly generated names from a dictionary, so wouldn't really be any use for that.

You can however already search for legendaries and set items by name.

But once you search by name you can't filer by stats as well. Overall the AH is too simple compared to the complexity of the items. Technically its possible for a rare item to have up to 7 stats and it's silly you can search for less than half. My guess is that the reason behind the AH design would be the whole "Simplify" design philosophy which for the most part has had a negative impact on the game as a whole.

Trickster

qOrUd.jpg

Any witch doctor that could give me a price for something like this? Really hard to just find similar items when there's 5 stats of importance, much less figure out a possible price point when I don't play a WD.

What's the dual wielding math and is it different for monk and barbs?

I have a barb friend rocking a 243 dps 1.30 aps LOH/crit off hand and still has 20k dps.

Rufus

No INT makes it near worthless, it looks like. VIT + 5% Life is nice, but high INT would have been a lot better. There are two Voodoo Masks on the EU AH with VIT (but no % Life), more All Res, Max Mana and higher Crit Chance for 40k and 50k buyouts, so - vendor.

Vodh

Yeah, maybe 10-20k... I did a quick search and found a mask that has all those stats except for the life%, it's sitting at 40 and not selling. Bid is 2500 and it doesn't even budge either.

linsivvi

What's the dual wielding math and is it different for monk and barbs?

I have a barb friend rocking a 243 dps 1.30 aps LOH/crit off hand and still has 20k dps.

You gain 15% aps from dual wielding.

As far as damage goes, your character takes turn swinging the weapons so having a weak off hand weapon really hurts your overall dps.

The exact formula is something like (W1 dps + W2 dps)/2 * W1 aps * W2 aps / (W1 aps + W2 aps). Any item that has +min/max damage is applied twice too.

You gain 15% aps from dual wielding.

As far as damage goes, your character takes turn swinging the weapons so having a weak off hand weapon really hurts your overall dps.

The exact formula is something like (W1 dps + W2 dps)/2 * W1 aps * W2 aps / (W1 aps + W2 aps). Any item that has +min/max damage is applied twice too.

What formula do I need for this dps calculator?
For min and max damage seperately.
http://www.diablodamagecalculator.com/

bcl0328

Yeah, the AH interface is shit, no question. At the very least you should be able to search on 5 properties as well as being able to filter by maximum bid. Not to mention being able to watch items (yes, I know of the workaround, but it's not really the point).

this was in the beta:

edit: can't post image apparently...

Sophia

this was in the beta:

edit: can't post image apparently...

You can, you just merely need to use an image host (such as imgur) that isn't blocked.

But once you search by name you can't filer by stats as well. Overall the AH is too simple compared to the complexity of the items. Technically its possible for a rare item to have up to 7 stats and it's silly you can search for less than half. My guess is that the reason behind the AH design would be the whole "Simplify" design philosophy which for the most part has had a negative impact on the game as a whole.

Wouldn't be the first time that Blizzard's attempts to simply and/or streamline something have had completely unintended results and harmed the game as a whole. I'm usually in favor of streamlining stuff, but they just go too far even for my tastes.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Is there a good guide out there that goes over the advantages of a Monk using dual wielding vs. 2Hing vs. 1h + Shielding?

Just got the game (finally) and it looks like everyone in Inferno is rocking a 1H + shield, but I'm guessing that that's really only needed for Inferno or if you want more survivability in general.

Got to Act 2 last night and the Monk is pretty awesome. Somewhat considering beating Act 1 with all the classes so I have a proper feel for how each of them plays and can make a better decision on who I want to run with going forward...

Sophia

You really have to play past level 30 with each class to get a good feel for them; You get all the abilities at level 30, but some of the runes past that (Invigorate for a Barbarian's War Cry, for example) are a real game changer, and you only get them at max levels.

I'm in love with Barbarian myself, even if the class does have a lot of shitty and subpar abilities.

RubxQub

You really have to play past level 30 with each class to get a good feel for them; You get all the abilities at level 30, but some of the runes past that (Invigorate for a Barbarian's War Cry, for example) are a real game changer, and you only get them at max levels.

I'm in love with Barbarian myself, even if the class does have a lot of shitty and subpar abilities.

Hmph...good to know. I'll probably run with a Monk all the way to 60 then since level 30 seems like a decent investment of time to get there (up to level 17 now after probably 5-7 hours of playing solo).

Would have rolled Barb, but from what I gathered everyone rolled a Barb which threw me off them a bit.

linsivvi

Is there a good guide out there that goes over the advantages of a Monk using dual wielding vs. 2Hing vs. 1h + Shielding?

Just got the game (finally) and it looks like everyone in Inferno is rocking a 1H + shield, but I'm guessing that that's really only needed for Inferno or if you want more survivability in general.

Got to Act 2 last night and the Monk is pretty awesome. Somewhat considering beating Act 1 with all the classes so I have a proper feel for how each of them plays and can make a better decision on who I want to run with going forward...

I am dual wielding and I ditched the shield after 1.0.3. When you are soloing you want to kill as fast as you can.

I made up the lost of a shield by using Keen Eye, enchantress and Hard Target which buffed my armor to well over 10K.

In a group, as long as you have a barb, Warcry will be more than enough for you to stay in fights for a long time.

Sophia

Hmph...good to know. I'll probably run with a Monk all the way to 60 then since level 30 seems like a decent investment of time to get there (up to level 17 now after probably 5-7 hours of playing solo).

Would have rolled Barb, but from what I gathered everyone rolled a Barb which threw me off them a bit.

Barbs are real easy to play. Maybe even the easiest class. They're the most gear dependent however.

theta11

To make it simple, 1h+shield is more defensive based and is better for lower levels of gear but as you get more gear dual-wield becomes better.

RubxQub

To make it simple, 1h+shield is more defensive based and is better for lower levels of gear but as you get more gear dual-wield becomes better.

Is there a good explanation for what is going on behind the curtains when you dual wield vs. 1h + shield vs. 2h?

I can't figure out why I'd want to equip a 2H vs. dual wield, and I can't figure out what the rules are around dual wielding.

Very basic stuff, but it sounds like there is some subtly to the mechanics and items about all this.

linsivvi

Is there a good explanation for what is going on behind the curtains when you dual wield vs. 1h + shield vs. 2h?

I can't figure out why I'd want to equip a 2H vs. dual wield, and I can't figure out what the rules are around dual wielding.

Very basic stuff, but it sounds like there is some subtly to the mechanics and items about all this.

A 2H weapon by itself does more damage. Dual wield makes up for it by giving you a 15% attack speed boost. 1H weapons are also generally faster, and equipping 2 items gives you potentially twice as much stats bonus.

The main thing is that finding 2 good 1H weapons is much more expensive than finding a good 2Her.

Sophia

The main thing is that finding 2 good 1H weapons is much more expensive than finding a good 2Her.

Yeah that's putting it nicely. Thanks to inflation, botting, and the screwed up AH interface, you've got good 2handers going for like 500,000 and good 1 handers going for 50,000,000....

linsivvi

Yeah that's putting it nicely. Thanks to inflation, botting, and the screwed up AH interface, you've got good 2handers going for like 500,000 and good 1 handers going for 50,000,000....

I had a 800 dps weapon with 800 LOH and 90% crit damage dropped in act 3. I was thinking jackpot and then I noticed it's a 2H weapon. I searched the AH and it's not even worth 10K.

RubxQub

Sounds like when I get to the point where the AH is more relevant, I should start with a solid 2H or 1H + Shield for economical purposes while I farm for better stuff.

Ideally I'd have two great 1H, one great 2H and a solid shield so I could mix and match...but right now I'm trying out the 1H + Shield combo and I'm not really noticing any major issues. I roll with two primaries on and the lightning strike one is still nice and effective with thunderclap on it...but the AOE one that reduces attack speed (name escapes me) is painfully slow. I basically time things so my first two strikes are lightning and then right click for the 3rd to do the AOE slow to counteract, though.

I saw someone mention that dual wielding isn't as effective unless both weapons are close in DPS...is there some penalty for having having a weaker offhand or something? Or is your DPS basically averaged between the two weapons?

scy

In very broad terms, 2H has better per-hit damage but fewer swings in a given interval; Dual Wield will have lower per-hit damage but more swings. 1H/Shield will _tend to_ have better per-hit damage than DW but less than 2H with more swings than 2H but fewer than DW.

Also worth noting is that 1H/Shield gives you +Stat socket options for Gems while DW gives you +Damage (Rubies), +Life on Hit (Amethysts), or +Critical Damage (Emeralds). A Shield does have the option for +Critical Chance, however, so it's not like they don't have good offensive options that DW cannot get.

Generally speaking, you can Dual Wield your way to Inferno with little trouble at all. You do need to keep BOTH weapons relatively good, however, as Dual Wield is an average of the two weapons for damage. That is, you swing with one hand and then swing with the other. 2H isn't that great right now and 1H/Shield is a good Inferno option until the rest of your gear is so good that it doesn't matter :x

Sophia

I had a 800 dps weapon with 800 LOH and 90% crit damage dropped in act 3. I was thinking jackpot and then I noticed it's a 2H weapon. I searched the AH and it's not even worth 10K.

Yup, I know that feeling. Anything under 1000 DPS for a two hander isn't worth selling usually. :(

Yeah, it's all so damage focused it makes me sick. I could sell my 1250dmg +str for something like 600k.

scy

Yup, I know that feeling. Anything under 1000 DPS for a two hander isn't worth selling usually. :(

Well, yeah. I mean, 2H DPS is about ~150% an equivalent 1Her so a 1000 DPS 2H is not even a 700 DPS 1Her. You really do give up a lot by not having a good off-hand weapon or Shield.

picked up a
Spear
693DPS
921Loh
70~ Vit
Socketed

for 1.8mil yesterday. Need to get a little more resist before i can finish act III i have 775 with my shield with 17-18k dps buffed
and 650 with 2 handers but my dps goes up to almost 25k like that.

i heard a DH is a real glass canon. I can't take two hit on Inferno. So I had an idea. Look for Crit damage and crit chance ONLY gear. It's cheap, (sort of) and can be fun.

Currently spend 20k and I'm at 316% crit dmg with xbow, sharpshooter and the skill that make crits goes 100% dmg. I need now a 99% dmg crit xbow with a 90% crit dmg gem on it haha

RubxQub

In very broad terms, 2H has better per-hit damage but fewer swings in a given interval; Dual Wield will have lower per-hit damage but more swings. 1H/Shield will _tend to_ have better per-hit damage than DW but less than 2H with more swings than 2H but fewer than DW.

Also worth noting is that 1H/Shield gives you +Stat socket options for Gems while DW gives you +Damage (Rubies), +Life on Hit (Amethysts), or +Critical Damage (Emeralds). A Shield does have the option for +Critical Chance, however, so it's not like they don't have good offensive options that DW cannot get.

Generally speaking, you can Dual Wield your way to Inferno with little trouble at all. You do need to keep BOTH weapons relatively good, however, as Dual Wield is an average of the two weapons for damage. That is, you swing with one hand and then swing with the other. 2H isn't that great right now and 1H/Shield is a good Inferno option until the rest of your gear is so good that it doesn't matter :x

Good stuff, that helps a lot in addition to what everyone else already said.

I'm going to run around with a 1H + Shield for now as I solo, even if I know it's overkill. I want to get used to playing with survivability in mind as it sounds like Inferno mode is basically "have great gear or know WTF you're doing" mode which sounds awesome. Growing up defensively will make the transition to Inferno a bit more organic I think, and I don't at all feel like my DPS is gimpy when using the 1H + Shield (at least for now). Still seems like I wipe packs nice and quickly.

Current strategy is using the lightning strikes as my bread and butter, with the bubble as my "pop before I jump into shit" button. Still using the kick finisher with the fire rune on it since the knockback and damage is awesome and helps with survivability...and seeing me punt a huge mob off the screen isn't getting old :lol

Using the Templar right now and have him specced as a defensive support guy. Haven't experimented with the other helpers yet, although I just got the enhantress. Just like the buddy relationship going on with my Templar dude, as it seems like his healing and charge/stun thing working together with my guy is a nice balance of offense and defense.

Still trying to figure out what else I want to fill in with. Using the 7-strike thing cause that seems like a "get out of jail free" move and am messing around with the hundred strikes or the AOE slow thing as my second primary. Seems like the hundred strikes with + leech on hit gear would be ludicrously amazing if it treats each of those as hits.

Loving the game, regardless. Feels so good to have Diablo back in my life. After reading all the end-game woes of the RMAH and Inferno mode, I'm not at all worried. I bought the game knowing all that stuff and the issues and the Blizzard money stuff and decided that I have no intention of depending on the RMAH to get gear. If there's something there that I can afford and helps me greatly...cool...but if I have to farm for awhile in Hell difficulty or Act 1 Inferno to advance, I'm ready for it....I think...

I mean I ran the Cow Level roughly a billion times in D2 to level and did a billion Meph/Baal runs for gear. This just feels like there's an easy way out if you want to put money into the system, and I'm A-OK with not doing that if it's outside my means (both IRL and in-game).

Number45

I am dual wielding and I ditched the shield after 1.0.3. When you are soloing you want to kill as fast as you can.

I made up the lost of a shield by using Keen Eye, enchantress and Hard Target which buffed my armor to well over 10K.

In a group, as long as you have a barb, Warcry will be more than enough for you to stay in fights for a long time.
Would you mind linking a build? I'm still only levelling (54 now I think) but I'm getting destroyed in co-op. My gear is terrible (because I still haven't bought anything on the AH) so I know that's a limiting factor, but I'd be interested to see what other monks are using.

Mine, from memory, is http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aTYXfh!Yde!caYaaa

Very defensive and it takes me forever to kill things while grouped. Currently dual wielding.

Witch doctor question:

I'm going with my build into rather tank doctor

I got nice amulet: 120 int,200 vit, 52% crit dmg, 400+ LOH

So should i rather go with zombie bears (rather suck with LoH but huge dmg) or Acid rain (for godlike LOH ? )

I also have some cheap 400 LOH, socket, 680 dps weapon ( i put 70% crit dmg gem into it)

TommyT

i heard a DH is a real glass canon. I can't take two hit on Inferno. So I had an idea. Look for Crit damage and crit chance ONLY gear. It's cheap, (sort of) and can be fun.

Currently spend 20k and I'm at 316% crit dmg with xbow, sharpshooter and the skill that make crits goes 100% dmg. I need now a 99% dmg crit xbow with a 90% crit dmg gem on it haha

Well they can be, but they aren't if you build them not to be.

I'm thinking about switching from a monk to a barb.

I was looking at my friends gear. His gear, assuming it was dex, would be 28K dps on my monk, and 40k dps for him with self buffs/passives.

Not only that, I have to worry about an extra affix. There's so many pieces of gear I have to pass up because it's not the right resist.

So, how is inferno survivability and self healing compared to monk?

How do gear prices compare since there's only one strength class and monks are split between 6 resist types?

So Rakaroth on Inferno is kicking my butt. Is there a pattern or specific gesture/sound he makes before he does his teleport? The closest I got him to was maybe 20% life remaining and then he one-shot me. Any suggestions? I don't have a screenshot of my stats for my DH, but I'd say I'm at about 3100 Armor, 400 - 450 resists, 25K HP and 67K DPS.

Gaspode_T

I am salvaging a lot of blues/yellows lately so I have like 200 something Shimmering Essence and 15 or so Lizard Eyes, I have crafting trained up to Illustrious so I can craft L40-something items or I can auction these...I can't seem to figure out which is the better use of the material. Every time I craft I swear I get the worst rolls, like Gold/Health Globes/Movement Speed/plus tiny bit of something like Strength

linsivvi

Would you mind linking a build? I'm still only levelling (54 now I think) but I'm getting destroyed in co-op. My gear is terrible (because I still haven't bought anything on the AH) so I know that's a limiting factor, but I'd be interested to see what other monks are using.

Mine, from memory, is http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aTYXfh!Yde!caYaaa

Very defensive and it takes me forever to kill things while grouped. Currently dual wielding.

This is my build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bYXgjh!ZXU!ZcbYca

I switch to thunderclap when I'm farming act 1 and act 2.

It will usually take longer to kill things in groups regardless unless you have a couple high damage crit-based players in your group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom