• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

spirity

Of course it's fucking balanced with AH on mind. The designers would be braindead to not do so.

You only have to look at the loot tables to realize its been balanced with the AH/RMAH firmly in mind. We all knew it before Bashiok spoke on the matter and the cat was out of the bag then. Jay Wilson is of course going to put out fires, he's not going to admit the RMAH was designed to be a cornerstone of the game. Bashiok shouldn't have said what he said, but all he did was confirm what we knew anyway.

Can't wait for the inferno nerfs. Act 2 onward is just unbalanced, poorly designed, and lazy.

I think elite packs in general need a (slight) health nerf. It just feels wrong when you can kill everything in 2 hits but the elite packs take 2,000. It's at the point where it just takes too long more than anything difficultywise.

The $1 transaction fee is theirs.

Also, this game is essentially free for me now. I have passed the $60 mark in money I have made.

Thank you Blizzard for an exceptional free game.

Purchasing the game was a business expense. $60 deduction. You've made $60 in income. Grats, you have nothing to report to the IRS ;)

Can't wait for the inferno nerfs. Act 2 onward is just unbalanced, poorly designed, and lazy.

I think elite packs in general need a (slight) health nerf. It just feels wrong when you can kill everything in 2 hits but the elite packs take 2,000. It's at the point where it just takes too long more than anything difficultywise.

They just need a slight nerf in general. I literally don't have any issues with act II except for the elite packs. I've gotten to the Road to Alcarnus or something and I've just started farming act I again. There's a garaunteed elite / champ there and it feels dirty kiting away and suiciding to advance. It also feels dirty having to leave and reaload the game until I get a pack with a combo of skills I can handle.

Patch 1.0.3 really needs to come out. Farming act 1 is getting a little tiresome.

LiK

But isn't that why they make you use authenticators? I mean, you can't even use prepaid phones either.

A security measure that's a hassle and blocks out a chunk of people from ever using it is absolutely not a good security measure. :p

i think since it uses real money, by binding it to a mobile phone with a real name and address, it'll help prevent theft. that's what i think, anyway.

Sophia

i think since it uses real money, by binding it to a mobile phone with a real name and address, it'll help prevent theft. that's what i think, anyway.

It certainly isn't helping prevent any theft on my end. All it's doing is adding an unneeded layer of hassle to use.

scy

Eh, so far the shield is working very very well for me. I'm not sure how you even get more armor and resists without a shield. Take away my shield and that gets rid of quite a bit of both of those. More evasion? Well I'd have to take one of my passives and change it to that one that ups dodge 15% for dual wielding. That's maybe and even trade off for the passive, but losing all the rest of that? No.

If it's working for you then I'd say just stick with it. Just figured I'd offer the suggestion if it's a cheaper route than Stormshield :x

You only have to look at the loot tables to realize its been balanced with the AH/RMAH firmly in mind. We all knew it before Bashiok spoke on the matter and the cat was out of the bag then. Jay Wilson is of course going to put out fires, he's not going to admit the RMAH was designed to be a cornerstone of the game. Bashiok shouldn't have said what he said, but all he did was confirm what we knew anyway.

The loot table being the fact that Act 1 Inferno has ilvl 61, Act 2 Inferno has ilvl 62, and Act 3 Inferno/Act 4 Inferno have ilvl 63? That's progression. Not to force people into the AH. People feel forced to use the AH because they see those Level 60 items and assume "I must need that to progress, it's Level 60 and I am Level 60." That's false.

Sophia

The loot table being the fact that Act 1 Inferno has ilvl 61, Act 2 Inferno has ilvl 62, and Act 3 Inferno/Act 4 Inferno have ilvl 63? That's progression. Not to force people into the AH. People feel forced to use the AH because they see those Level 60 items and assume "I must need that to progress, it's Level 60 and I am Level 60." That's false.

You mean the same loot table that was dropping Act 3/4 Hell items in Act 1 Inferno for me with disturbing regularity? That's not progression.

Sophia

not that bad, only need to enter the codes once and you're done. :)

... unless of course you don't have a phone. Or you have a phone but it doesn't work with SMS. Then you have to bother someone else or pay even more money to get a phone that works. :p

Speaking of Act 3 Hell items, level 54 Wrists. -_-

LiK

... unless of course you don't have a phone. Or you have a phone but it doesn't work with SMS. Then you have to bother someone else or pay even more money to get a phone that works. :p

lol, now i understand ;)

yea, i don't understand why there isn't another option for it.

scy

You mean the same loot table that was dropping Act 3/4 Hell items in Act 1 Inferno for me with disturbing regularity? That's not progression.

As nice as it would be for Inferno to drop Inferno only caliber items, that's just never been the case for Diablo games. You get shitty ilvl items in Diablo 2 as well despite being on Hell.

Snookie

I just put both set pieces(immortal kings will and tal rashas guardianship) I got the other night on the RMAH and set the min at $75. Heres hoping someone for some reason wants to buy those, lol

spirity

No, I'm not really talking about that. My issue with the loot is that its boring and flat. And its been spreadsheeted to death throughout all of the levels, not just the end game. Its unimaginative and sterile, and other modern games do it better, when it should be the other way around. The AH/RMAH has a deliberately numbing effect on the loot tables. Without the AH you'd see the imagination and flair you'd expect to see in the loot.

Sophia

As nice as it would be for Inferno to drop Inferno only caliber items, that's just never been the case for Diablo games. You get shitty ilvl items in Diablo 2 as well despite being on Hell.

I don't care that it doesn't drop inferno-caliber items. I'm disturbed with fact that it drops Hell items two acts back with disturbing regularity.

Fellow Witch Doc's

What build are you using on act 3?

The official forums have some non-splinter darts builds recommended, anyone use them?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Yes. But if a nice rare normal weapon dropped, you had the option (in late Diablo 2 patches) to upgrade them to exceptional or elite.

And uniques and sets were always fun to get, even when they sucked.

scy

No, I'm not really talking about that. My issue with the loot is that its boring and flat. And its been spreadsheeted to death throughout all of the levels, not just the end game. Its unimaginative and sterile, and other modern games do it better, when it should be the other way around. The AH/RMAH has a deliberately numbing effect on the loot tables. Without the AH you'd see the imagination and flair you'd expect to see in the loot.

There are a lack of game changing Legendaries but I don't know if I necessarily blame the AH/RMAH for items being boring. Maybe I need to play Torchlight 2 or some of these better games; I keep seeing a linked gun as an example of things done "right" and it's just boring damage, stats, and a Knockback proc. Which you can roll in D3 at low levels.

If it's working for you then I'd say just stick with it. Just figured I'd offer the suggestion if it's a cheaper route than Stormshield :x

People go to the AH because they are in a game and getting their asses handed to them, so they think they need those items to progress. People are in the game first, AH second.

V_Arnold

Yes. But if a nice rare normal weapon dropped, you had the option (in late Diablo 2 patches) to upgrade them to exceptional or elite.

And uniques and sets were always fun to get, even when they sucked.

Really? Personally, having Sigon's Belt drop from Hell Mephisto was not something that I would clarify as "fun".

scy

I don't care that it doesn't drop inferno-caliber items. I'm disturbed with fact that it drops Hell items two acts back with disturbing regularity.

Not sure I can even follow this logic then. You're fine if they're not Inferno (e.g., ilvl 61+) but they can't be late Hell (ilvl 58-60). Erm.

I do agree they should take up less of the loot table since it's annoying, especially with the low range of ilvls (60 vs 63 on Weapons is just ridiculous, for instance). But ... Inferno can't just drop ilvl 61+ (or even 60+).

Sophia

I might have to ask you: did you play Diablo II?

Yes. I don't recall Diablo 2 regularly dropping Nightmare mode items on Act 2/3 of Hell. It happened, of course, but it wasn't two thirds the goddamn drops. =p

Not sure I can even follow this logic then. You're fine if they're not Inferno (e.g., ilvl 61+) but they can't be late Hell (ilvl 58-60). Erm.

I do agree they should take up less of the loot table since it's annoying, especially with the low range of ilvls (60 vs 63 on Weapons is just ridiculous, for instance). But ... Inferno can't just drop ilvl 61+ (or even 60+).

If they were all late hell items, there wouldn't be a problem.The problem is when they're all level 51-54 in Inferno. :p

If everything that dropped was late hell, I'd actually be a happy camper for once.

I don't understand why when people complain about shit that has been removed from Diablo 2 that people LIKED, and they are told, "It isn't Diablo 2, derp."

But then people complain about holdovers from D2 that they DON'T LIKE and they are told, "Uh, didn't you play Diablo 2, derp?"

spirity

There are a lack of game changing Legendaries but I don't know if I necessarily blame the AH/RMAH for items being boring. Maybe I need to play Torchlight 2 or some of these better games; I keep seeing a linked gun as an example of things done "right" and it's just boring damage, stats, and a Knockback proc. Which you can roll in D3 at low levels.

You need to play other arpg's, honestly. D2 was 12 years ago.

scy

People go to the AH because they are in a game and getting their asses handed to them, so they think they need those items to progress. People are in the game first, AH second.

And they don't want to farm for the drops themselves. The AH is never required to progress. It's required to progress at the speed the player wants to, yes, but it's not required to actually make progress.

Every single "never get loot drops that are upgrade" complaints are missing the key part of it: "as soon as I want them."

TL2 and PoE are the only two I haven't.

Lothars

I agree, I am not seeing it and I have played Torchlight 2 and PoE, The Items are pretty good in this games but I am not seeing how they are superior to D3.

I have and I don't see how the items are in any way superior or make a difference.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yes. I don't recall Diablo 2 regularly dropping Nightmare mode items on Act 2/3 of Hell. It happened, of course, but it wasn't two thirds the goddamn drops. =p

Yes it was. You will get a ton more Mage Plate drops than you will Archon Plate in hell, for example.

Fellow Witch Doc's

What build are you using on act 3?

The official forums have some non-splinter darts builds recommended, anyone use them?

My own SB/dot build:

wd_inferno_build.png

Horrify can be traded for Fetish Army.

scy

I don't understand why when people complain about shit that has been removed from Diablo 2 that people LIKED, and they are told, "It isn't Diablo 2, derp."

But then people complain about holdovers from D2 that they DON'T LIKE and they are told, "Uh, didn't you play Diablo 2, derp?"

It's only relevant when people are directly comparing it to Diablo 2 as their basis and are wrong. Otherwise, they really should be treated separately. But we can't do that since we need a comparison point :x

And they don't want to farm for the drops themselves. The AH is never required to progress. It's required to progress at the speed the player wants to, yes, but it's not required to actually make progress.

Every single "never get loot drops that are upgrade" complaints are missing the key part of it: "as soon as I want them."

This is another bad argument.

While the AH is not fundamentally required to progress, it exists and is, without a doubt, the best way to progress. Thus people complain because the INARGUABLE BEST WAY to progress in this game is through a monetary investment, not through playing the game.

The game is balanced (admittedly by Blizzard) 100% around loot, not around player skill or (supposedly) even build choice. They want you to use loot, and the best way to get loot is the AH.

So ya, people feel shafted that playing the game (that they paid for, this isn't a F2P game) is a gimped experience.

Nugg

In french, even the confirmation text you get for linking your account to your phone has a typo. It's three fucking words, and still no one took the time to proof read that. Not sure how I feel about trusting them with real money.

V_Arnold

While the AH is not fundamentally required to progress, it exists and is, without a doubt, the best way to progress. Thus people complain because the INARGUABLE BEST WAY to progress in this game is through a monetary investment, not through playing the game.

The game is balanced (admittedly by Blizzard) 100% around loot, not around player skill or (supposedly) even build choice. They want you to use loot, and the best way to get loot is the AH.

So ya, people feel shafted that playing the game (that they paid for, this isn't a F2P game) is a gimped experience.

I can almost guarantee you that someone who has no proper micro ability will not be able to progress through the first "hard" Act2 elite group (maybe wasts, maybe mortars, maybe Lacunis, maybe teleporting nagas) with their fancy $1000 gear. And that is when they will have to learn how to play the game :p

Ferrio

Banned
I can almost guarantee you that someone who has no proper micro ability will not be able to progress through the first "hard" Act2 elite group (maybe wasts, maybe mortars, maybe Lacunis, maybe teleporting nagas) with their fancy $1000 gear. And that is when they will have to learn how to play the game :p

Especially as DH.

This isn't a completely fair assesment. I've done a fair amount of farming act I inferno and have only a couple rings to show for it (equipped). I've found some stuff and sold some stuff and bought some stuff, but I feel like even that's not enough to progress into act II. I'm willing to put in the work to find the gear I need, and I still don't find it.

If act II requires iLvl61 and a mix of iLvl 62+ gear to succeed and I can barely get iLvl 61 stuff to drop in Act I, we have an issue with the way the game progresses it's players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom