• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maedhros

Giveaway #2 (North American servers only!)

No tricks, no smoke, no mirrors. These are some decent weapons for fresh 60's, or Act 1 Inferno 60's that I'm donating because I have no use for them, and I'm sure gaffers would make better use of it than letting it rot in my stash. All of these items dropped from Act 3 Inferno+. :p

You can choose one item, and after time has expired, I will roll for each item. Meaning six people are getting new items! The more people who want a weapon, the less chance you'll have less of getting it.

All you need to do is PM your GAF name and battletag and the item you want and you'll be entered.

All winners will get a free Exalted Pallium Shoulders recipe, free of charge, courtesy of Artanisix

The raffle will end 5PM Mountain Time on June 15th (Friday).

Just Pm'ed, hope I win. =)

datamage

Just Rings, Amulets, and Follower Relics.

Here's the thing though, discounting +Skills, what were interesting stats for Diablo 2? Damage, AR, Life Steal, IAS%, ...?

I do agree it's a little annoying that it's "Does it have primary Attribute and VIT? No? Doesn't matter!" but I think the amount of total stats to gear towards is far greater in Diablo 3.

It's been a while, but, monster cannot heal, cannot be frozen, random spell proc on hit, higher percentages on procs, hit recovery...

Some of them may not be so amazing, but at least there was a greater variety. Thing is, D3 is a freaking sequel to one of the most beloved games in PC history, you make it bigger and better. There should be an even greater amount of random affixes and whatnot. Like a lot of people on here, I have a hate/love relationship with this damn game.

DSmalls84

450 dps is awful. Might be worth something since it's a set item.

Lol That's why I was skeptical that it was worth anything. I don't know anyone who will roll with that kind of damage unless they swap the weapon during a fight to finish off a boss with the magic find bonus.

spirity

Personally, I don't have an issue with the drop rate, except for maybe legendaries. My problem is the homogenized gear and WoW-like stats. None of the gear seems to be interesting.

Game is fun though.

Absolutely.

I look at Torchlight 2 and see how fun and interesting the loot is there from level 4-ish and beyond, then I look at D3's loot tables, and they plain suck. Dull, uninspired, and safe. The other elements of the game have advanced: the graphics, the effects, the combat etc. But the loot, the most important element in any game like this hasn't advanced or evolved at all. At best its remained flat, at worst its regressed. Even Path of Exile does it better, and thats free. Titan Quest had a bunch of lusted-after loot dropping throughout the game. There's simply little thrill in looting a rare/legendary in D3 until your 60, and even then there's such a slim chance its a good upgrade.

Its quite frustrating because the rest of the game is solid. The difficulty is about right (but could use small tweaks here and there), combat is fun responsive and engaging, the audio.. eh, ok not so great but it does the job, the randomised events are nice, voice acting is superb. But the loot is so dull.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm having regrets about selling the bow. One hand i could of used it easily to farm act 4 to sell stuff that dropped. But I don't think I have the farm bug in me anymore.. and chances of stuff dropping good before the market tumbles is slim.. If none of my other gear sells I'll be sad :(

scy

If someone spots a Monk past Act 1 Inferno please screenshot and send to the local authorities for a UFO discovery.

I solo'd Act 1 and almost all of Act 2 (Monk/Wizard Belial).

It's been a while, but, monster cannot heal, cannot be frozen, random spell proc on hit, higher percentages on procs, hit recovery...

I'll give you spell procs as being missing but Poison damage still prevents Heal I believe (just like Cold still snaring), there's global CC reduction (since flat out "No frozen" is a bit over the top), and we do have Stun/Fear/etc. on hit procs. They're vastly toned down but the combat in D2 vs D3 is just vastly, vastly different and guaranteed procs (or 30-40% chance procs) are just obscenely overpowered. That said, you can stack to like 25% or so chance to stun on hit.

I'd say at least we don't have Light Radius but I guess Gold Pickup Radius is that :x

Some of them may not be so amazing, but at least there was a greater variety. Thing is, D3 is a freaking sequel to one of the most beloved games in PC history, you make it bigger and better. There should be an even greater amount of random affixes and whatnot. Like a lot of people on here, I have a hate/love relationship with this damn game.

That is one of the more disappointing things. Not enough step forwards actually done it feels like.

zlatko

Banned
I'm having regrets about selling the bow. One hand i could of used it easily to farm act 4 to sell stuff that dropped. But I don't think I have the farm bug in me anymore.. and chances of stuff dropping good before the market tumbles is slim.. If none of my other gear sells I'll be sad :(

Or the market never tumbles?!

zoukka

lol I'm sure you can find a better bow with the money you got from the previous one.

I'm going to miss this thing. Pretty much seals that I can't play inferno anymore haha.
AXsUR.jpg

Jesus christ all mighty.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Absolutely.

I look at Torchlight 2 and see how fun and interesting the loot is there from level 4-ish and beyond, then I look at D3's loot tables, and they plain suck. Dull, uninspired, and safe. The other elements of the game have advanced: the graphics, the effects, the combat etc. But the loot, the most important element in any game like this hasn't advanced or evolved at all. At best its remained flat, at worst its regressed. Even Path of Exile does it better, and thats free. Titan Quest had a bunch of lusted-after loot dropping throughout the game. There's simply little thrill in looting a rare/legendary in D3 until your 60, and even then there's such a slim chance its a good upgrade.

Its quite frustrating because the rest of the game is solid. The difficulty is about right (but could use small tweaks here and there), combat is fun responsive and engaging, the audio.. eh, ok not so great but it does the job, the randomised events are nice, voice acting is superb. But the loot is so dull.

Not just torchlight but POE too. In POE i found a legendary staff that turned me into a fire spell god with increased fire damage and fire spell levels and more. It was so fucking cool. You don't see stuff like that in these loot whore games anymore. It sucks.

RDreamer

They've already commented that drop rates were adjusted lower because of the AH. It almost certainly wasn't balanced well, if at all, but they were adjusted with the AH in mind.

You're going to believe the community manager over the lead designer? The lead guy said that they did not balance it for the AH, and I trust he had a bit more say in the matter.

datamage

Absolutely.

It's funny, of all the things I feared Blizzard would screw up on, the last thing on my mind was the loot. Good thing loot isn't the reason why people play Diablo, oh wait.

RDreamer

If someone spots a Monk past Act 1 Inferno please screenshot and send to the local authorities for a UFO discovery.

I'm in Act 3. I can almost wreck house in Act 2 now. I've tanked 2 groups of elites at the same time without dying. I usually don't die now to elites. I've been called a beast by some of the groups I've been in. But Act 3 still rapes me pretty hard. I think if I got a storm shield and maybe a justice lantern or something I'd probably be able to do A3.

zoukka

You're going to believe the community manager over the lead designer? The lead guy said that they did not balance it for the AH, and I trust he had a bit more say in the matter.

Of course it's fucking balanced with AH on mind. The designers would be braindead to not do so.

Neki

sweet, i missed the details. PM you or?

Giveaway #2 (North American servers only!)

No tricks, no smoke, no mirrors. These are some decent weapons for fresh 60's, or Act 1 Inferno 60's that I'm donating because I have no use for them, and I'm sure gaffers would make better use of it than letting it rot in my stash. All of these items dropped from Act 3 Inferno+. :p

You can choose one item, and after time has expired, I will roll for each item. Meaning six people are getting new items! The more people who want a weapon, the less chance you'll have less of getting it.

All you need to do is PM your GAF name and battletag and the item you want and you'll be entered.

All winners will get a free Exalted Pallium Shoulders recipe, free of charge, courtesy of Artanisix

The raffle will end 5PM Mountain Time on June 15th (Friday).

it was on the previous page :p

TommyT

Seriously, Blizzard, how the fuck am I supposed to kill these without dying like 15 times as a Demon Hunter? Soul Rippers ARE ALREADY FAST. + FAST? +REFLECT DAMAGE?

Learn to not get hit glass cannon dh!

I jest. Make a new game because fuck that combination.

scy

I'm in Act 3. I can almost wreck house in Act 2 now. I've tanked 2 groups of elites at the same time without dying. I usually don't die now to elites. I've been called a beast by some of the groups I've been in. But Act 3 still rapes me pretty hard. I think if I got a storm shield and maybe a justice lantern or something I'd probably be able to do A3.

I'd say to not make the sacrifice for the Shield route as a Monk and see what you can do with better Armor/Resists/Evasion with Life on Hit or Spirit Spent. I don't personally think a Shield is the best route for a Monk.

Seriously, Blizzard, how the fuck am I supposed to kill these without dying like 15 times as a Demon Hunter? Soul Rippers ARE ALREADY FAST. + FAST? +REFLECT DAMAGE?

I like to think that when they say "lower damage spikes", they're really referring to Lacunis and Soul Rippers.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Didn't see an option to "ADD" a paypal account today... Did they disable it? I see paypal as an option, but trying to sell anything with that set results in an error screen saying I haven't setup an account yet.

In order to use paypal, you need to both add a paypal account to your battle.net account, AND you have to activate SMS alerts on your battle.net account.

It took me a few minutes of research to find out I needed SMS. The game does a shit job of explaining any of that.

Not just torchlight but POE too. In POE i found a legendary staff that turned me into a fire spell god with increased fire damage and fire spell levels and more. It was so fucking cool. You don't see stuff like that in these loot whore games anymore. It sucks.

Hey man, we wouldn't want people to be overpowered in a game with NO FUCKING PVP. Blizzard's vice-like grip on the vaunted "balance" of their game is what constricts them from doing anything that isn't safe (read: boring) and any time a player tries to break out of the choke hold they are quickly nerfed back into line.

Learn to not get hit glass cannon dh!

I jest. Make a new game because fuck that combination.

Well, I made a new game and about a hundred meters further I was killed by - what seems to be - an invisible Soul Ripper. /ragequit.

I like to think that when they say "lower damage spikes", they're really referring to Lacunis and Soul Rippers.

I'm really curious to what the patch will fix.
and break

not just DH, but Wizard as well. fucking impossible.

We're so helpless. :(

ShaneB

not just DH, but Wizard as well. fucking impossible.

:( Some combos just make me cry on my Wizard.

edit: and god dammit, I wish I had gotten my Wizard to 60 quick and farmed inferno more to get in on the early cash bonanza :( ah well.

I just dropped about 400k on all of the following 8 items...did I fuck up? Looking to atleast resell this for double or put it on RMAH for a quick buck. Please tell me what you think, I never bought any set items or legendaries before but I hope this was a good deal.

Screenshot007-1.jpg

As a CPA I wonder the tax implications on the RMAH. Will people that sell stuff report it as income (I doubt it), will the IRS start investigating stuff like this and force companies like Blizzard to supply sellers w/ 1099s? I bet it will happen.

TommyT

I just dropped about 400k on all of the following 8 items...did I fuck up? Looking to atleast resell this for double or put it on RMAH for a quick buck. Please tell me what you think, I never bought any set items or legendaries before but I hope this was a good deal.

Screenshot007.jpg

I don't see anything really worth much at all there. I don't think any of those were good buys. Sorry.

edit: best ones are the first two, the belts. IF a wizard is going for int + aspd. However I don't know if many are these days. Always look at the time left before you buy. If it's really a good deal it won't have been sitting for a day or hell, even a few hours.

buhdeh

Honestly, my only motivation for playing anymore is to make back the 60 bucks I spent on this game.

Probably one of my biggest game purchase regrets this year.

RDreamer

I'd say to not make the sacrifice for the Shield route as a Monk and see what you can do with better Armor/Resists/Evasion with Life on Hit or Spirit Spent. I don't personally think a Shield is the best route for a Monk.

Eh, so far the shield is working very very well for me. I'm not sure how you even get more armor and resists without a shield. Take away my shield and that gets rid of quite a bit of both of those. More evasion? Well I'd have to take one of my passives and change it to that one that ups dodge 15% for dual wielding. That's maybe and even trade off for the passive, but losing all the rest of that? No.

Of course it's fucking balanced with AH on mind. The designers would be braindead to not do so.

Question: You've been quoted as saying that Diablo III loot is balanced around the existence of the Auction House. Could you clarify what you mean by that? Many people seem to assume that means there is "less" or "poorer" loot being dropped on an individual basis because we're expected to get our actual upgrades from the Auction House. I read it more as the existence of the Auction House allows a much wider variety of loot affixes. If a person had to rely on only their own drops or ad hoc trading, the game would have to roll most items with +Primary Stat and +Vitality/Resist. With the Auction House in play, the game can roll literally millions of crazy stat combinations, because even if you only get "crazy" drops, you can still use the Auction House for the hard-to-upgrade slots. Thoughts?

Answer:(Jay):4.I'm sorry, I don't remember saying that and if I did then I was drunk and/or wrong. We tuned and balanced the game without the auction house, as there weren't enough people internally using it to test it against gameplay, so we didn't design anything for it.

Maybe they thought vaguely there'd be an AH or something, but they couldn't actually balance it with the AH, since as he said there weren't enough people to test at all. We're essentially the beta for the AH.

I sincerely believe him. They said they balanced inferno and then doubled it, and then they couldn't get through themselves. I've seen them talking about taking down the butcher the first time using ~300-400 dps weapons. They're not shitting you. That's what they did. And that's why the design is coming apart at the seems and people think you HAVE to have the AH to progress. Because they didn't think enough about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom