• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosher

First, we're upping the damage of many skills with longer cooldowns in 1.0.4. Across all classes, if I can only hit a button once every so often, it needs to dole out some significant damage to justify the spot on my bar. While some skills, like Archon and Wrath of the Berserker, are significant enough to make the cut, there are a lot of skills that need DPS improvements to make their cooldowns worthwhile.

Not from the DH preview, but I would bet Rain of Vengeance will be getting a big boost. :) Stampede is already really awesome in dealing with elite packs. Can't wait to see.

I'll have to wait for the entire patch notes. As it stands I think my current build won't change. As far as buffs go, it looks like seven sided strike is the most interesting as the invulnerablility and damage output sounds impressive.

EDIT: If they don't like one with everything being a must, why don't they give us a rune on a skill that's like the barb skill bosting elemental defences / armor. Make hard target not only buff armor but also elemental defence. That would actually change build diversity bcause I can swap MoC to MoE and use another passive like guardians path for more spirit regen. Then I can spam that stinking bell to make up for the DPS I just lost on MoC.

Spamming MoC still sounds like a better use of spirit than any of their spirit based damage givers.

Meh ... at least they're fixing legendaries and group play.

Kunohara

I like the changes. Seven sided strike is an awesome skill to use. Can't wait for the new numbers.

I was hoping they would mention some of the other passives. It seems everyone uses the same three or 4 passives, OWE (which is good they are not touching), Resolve, Trans, and Guardians Path. I hope they make the other passives alot more attractive.

All in all, I can't wait for those patch notes.

I'll have to wait for the entire patch notes. As it stands I think my current build won't change. As far as buffs go, it looks like seven sided strike is the most interesting as the invulnerablility and damage output sounds impressive.

EDIT: If they don't like one with everything being a must, why don't they give us a rune on a skill that's like the barb skill bosting elemental defences / armor. Make hard target not only buff armor but also elemental defence. That would actually change build diversity bcause I can swap MoC to MoE and use another passive like guardians path for more spirit regen. Then I can spam that stinking bell to make up for the DPS I just lost on MoC.

Spamming MoC still sounds like a better use of spirit than any of their spirit based damage givers.

Meh ... at least they're fixing legendaries and group play.

yep, I don't see any changes for my Monk neither, non of the skill I used where even mentioned, a buff on sweeping wind, gliding flash and breath of heaven would have been nice, hack a base damage buff for the monk would have been nice.
The only improvement my Monk will get will still be by gear...

Radec

So they even considered changing something about OWE huh. And i suppose a nerf. Good thing they didnt (for now), or else Monks will make them feel the wrath of Ithar!

Definity

We'll see how much better it is with it being easier to get the explosion, I guess.

|

Yep. I just want to make stuff go BOOM.

I used seven sided strike all the time before I got to inferno and loved the concept of it. Can't wait to see what the damage is on it after 1.04.

zou

While we'd prefer that there wasn't an "absolutely mandatory" passive, we're going to let this one ride for now. If we do try to make changes we'll ideally do it in a way that doesn't invalidate the passive, doesn't hurt monk survivability, and doesn't undermine the gear people are currently wearing

Where was this thought when they decided to nerf WW? Guess we now know what Jay has been up to.. ;c

RivalCore

The Monk update sounds pretty tame, SSS was never particularly useful for me because Serenity is a much more diverse skill and I'll take survivability over damage.

Shame they're not going to look at the passives either. OWE and STI are pretty much mandatory for my build and haven't been taken out of rotation since I got into Inferno.

So my monk can now be the agile fighter it wants to be, with a daibo!

Cheers for Blizzard.

Also, have my 11% more damage exploding palm helm ready.

Tom Penny

7 strike seems good. I might be able to swap out blinding flash and use that to get out of sticky situations. Overawe with blinding flash is a great damage combo though. I really wish the buffed duel weilding for a monk so act3 would be a viable option without a shield. It cost way too much in comparison to sword and board. A monk with a shield is wack blizzard!!

The Monk update sounds pretty tame, SSS was never particularly useful for me because Serenity is a much more diverse skill and I'll take survivability over damage.

Shame they're not going to look at the passives either. OWE and STI are pretty much mandatory for my build and haven't been taken out of rotation since I got into Inferno.

Yeah ... I like how they said OWE is the only must passive. Riiighht. STI is also a must and resolve and guardians pasth are the other two semi musts thant can be swapped.

Xamdou

With SSS u get like 3 secs of invincibility while doing damage, and add the stun rune to that and u basically get a trifecta in one skill. Only bad thing is it currently does crap damage, so the new sss buff is great news for monk users!

RivalCore

With SSS u get like 3 secs of invincibility while doing damage, and add the stun rune to that and u basically get a trifecta in one skill. Only bad thing is it currently does crap damage, so the new sss buff is great news for monk users!

It's been months since I've used it but invulnerability isn't much good to me if I still end up exactly where I set off SSS.

EDIT:

I also wish they'd buff Life Steal. Even by a small amount.

my Monk from now on= Dual Wield + The Guardian's Path (now 35% faster spirit generator) + spam MoC/Overwave.

The exact thing Blizzard said they don't want people to do... smh

Why didn't they just make spamming Spirit skills extend the duration of Mantra on-cast buffs :|

I'm not really following many of their changes. The same two mantras will be used. The same 3-4 passives will be used. The only thing that sounds semi interesting was the buff to SSS. Though they didn't give us an idea of the damage output so ....

Stripes55

Neo Member
OK, since we've got a lot of monks on here right now...does anyone actually use any of the Spirit Allies in Inferno? My Earth Ally dies way too easily. He was fine in Hell.

theta11

Monk preview is underwhelming. Mantra spamming still seems like the best way to spend spirit, especially so now that group play will be more prevalent.

theta11

I'm not really following many of their changes. The same two mantras will be used. The same 3-4 passives will be used. The only thing that sounds semi interesting was the buff to SSS. Though they didn't give us an idea of the damage output so ....

Unless it can 1 hit elites it won't be worth it to me. XD

OK, since we've got a lot of monks on here right now...does anyone actually use any of the Spirit Allies in Inferno? My Earth Ally dies way too easily. He was fine in Hell.

You can use the Air Ally, it's decent. Earth Ally is broken because it offense scales but not it's defense (same problem for WD pets) so whenever it taunts is just suicides since it can't tank inferno damage. Maybe when fix WD pets the Monk Pets will be fixed as well.

scy

my Monk from now on= Dual Wield + The Guardian's Path (now 35% faster spirit generator) + spam MoC/Overwave.

The exact thing Blizzard said they don't want people to do... smh

Erm, DW/tGP would be for Evasion. The Spirit Generation is for 2H.

Right? If they really wanted to change the Monk playstyle, have the Mantras set up their on-cast buff and then keep it running through spending Spirit (e.g., every 10 Spirit spent adds 1s to the duration or something). Now the class is about setting your Mantra up and then keeping it going through proper Spirit generation and use.

RivalCore

I think Earth Ally had a defensive buff that I used for a short period pre-1.03. After that it got dropped in favour of more offensive skills.

Stripes55

Neo Member
You can use the Air Ally, it's decent. Earth Ally is broken because it offense scales but not it's defense (same problem for WD pets) so whenever it taunts is just suicides since it can't tank inferno damage. Maybe when fix WD pets the Monk Pets will be fixed as well.

Thanks...yeah, I thought that might be the problem with the Earth Ally. I'll try Air, see if that's any better. If not, I'll find some hopefully more useful skill to put there.

Shouta

That is not too big, btw. 246,6% instead of 220% for 3 seconds. But yeah, it is going to be a valid skill to use, in certain builds. Hopefully.

But the skill that makes me really happy to see getting buffed is Seven-Sided Strike, I just love the concept of that. Still using it on act1 inf farm :p

It's small increase for the same period but it gives you 3 usages for the cost of 1 now. Plus this makes Burning Essence even more powerful for groups and hopefully The Flesh is Weak will have its duration buffed as well. I can easily swap in Burning Essence for Blinding Flash for dealing with groups. That kind of damage output will just rip through things.

Ploid 3.0

I hope WD pets get aggro better and can take some hits. Pets seem to be ignored way too often because some enemies only seek the user on certain attacks (I noticed this on Wiz with Mirror Image and teleporting/fracture). I guess because of that, it won't matter if pets have a aggro generator. WD's notes will have to be huge, it seems like there's no hope for that class.

scy

It's small increase for the same period but it gives you 3 usages for the cost of 1 now. Plus this makes Burning Essence even more powerful for groups and hopefully The Flesh is Weak will have its duration buffed as well. I can easily swap in Burning Essence for Blinding Flash for dealing with groups. That kind of damage output will just rip through things.

I think the most important thing will be the visual upgrade. To see what's been hit already.

Essence Burn explosions are very satisfying.

The only way to ensure a skill isn't a must is if we have an option that does something similar to replace it's use. There is nothing that can come close to OWE and STI.

An example would be MoE with Backlash. It's a slighly more durable mantra that MoC but doesn't sacrifice too much DPS.

The only way for them to make OWE and STI not must have is to offer ways around those passives. Currentlyl nothing can compare.

Ploid 3.0

I don't play Monk but what about a passive that increases your dodge to a incredible amount, allowing you to dodge elemental stuff as well so you won't need that much resist all. Monk probably have a dodge bonus passive but double it and double it some more Jay Wilson style.

zou

They seriously need to remove most of the cooldowns on skills and just have resource pool/usage control skill use.

Ya. Especially since there's not even any potions you can spam. And if we're already discussing things that aren't happening, why does every single class have its own mana resource. Never made any sense to me. They should dump them all and just have each class use mana.

Shouta

The only way to ensure a skill isn't a must is if we have an option that does something similar to replace it's use. There is nothing that can come close to OWE and STI.

An example would be MoE with Backlash. It's a slighly more durable mantra that MoC but doesn't sacrifice too much DPS.

The only way for them to make OWE and STI not must have is to offer ways around those passives. Currentlyl nothing can compare.

STI is easily replaceable. I don't use it in either Act 1 or Act 2 now and occasionally Act 3 but more often when I'm paired with a Barb. The Defense gain is fairly significant but an incredibly well tailored set can make up for it. So i agree with OWE being the only mandatory one. Though, my set was built for pre-1.03 Inferno minus a few tweaks.

Also, Backlash is best against groups, it suffers against single foes or small groups. So while you get some offensive benefit from it, it's nowhere near Conviction and Overawe.

scy

Ya. Especially since there's not even any potions you can spam. And if we're already discussing things that aren't happening, why does every single class have its own mana resource. Never made any sense to me. They should dump them all and just have each class use mana.

To make them play fundamentally differently?

Standard regen-over-time Mana pools for everyone is pretty bland. Even if they all have resources to deal with that are basically the same (get resource, spend resource), they at least function differently enough to be unique to the classes.

STI is easily replaceable. I don't use it in either Act 1 or Act 2 now and occasionally Act 3 but more often when I'm paired with a Barb. The Defense gain is fairly significant but an incredibly well tailored set can make up for it. So i agree with OWE being the only mandatory one. Though, my set was built for pre-1.03 Inferno minus a few tweaks.

Also, Backlash is best against groups, it suffers against single foes or small groups. So while you get some offensive benefit from it, it's nowhere near Conviction and Overawe.

If it was easily replacable, it wouldn't be used past the training wheel acts. Act I and to a certain extent Act II are not good examples. If you have to pair with another class to use their skills, then it's not easily replaceable either (you could probably say the same about OWE when comboed with a barb). To solo without it in act III would require pretty godlly gear IMO. I don't feel like I have enough armor with STI and I use both resolve and crippling wave. So while it's not a "must have", it's pretty damn close.

I was also just trying to provide an example of giving us something that can semi-replace a skill. At least backlash provides some extra damage. You can kite a bunch of trash to an elite pack and then it's procs well again. There is nothing that can even think about replacing OWE and give me something similar.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yep, this is what I was talking about. THAT is the real fuel of the crit-build, not Wicked Wind. Not that it is bad in any way, but it is just one half of the fun.
Err, no.

As soon as chain reaction starts insta casting it procs way way way more crits than WW.

If that was the case they'd be nerfing explosive blast instead. Twister gets more procs per mob per cast than Explosive blast since the proc coefficient for explosive blast is only around 10% and hits only 3 times.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've looked at your gear Rentahamster, and while there might be some differences between our sets (check out Brototype#1570 if you're curious on mine), I still argue we get messed up by those affixes. If you don't have to do some tactical whirlwinding/sprinting around fat golgors in arreat crater with invulnerable minions and molten, then apparently you've got some secret that I don't know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zio6WfZwWrQ#t=18m15s

If I have any "secret", I guess it's that partying with Wiz/Monk/DHs with good CC makes things "easier" (I die less), but even solo, I still do it in less time anyway.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't play Monk but what about a passive that increases your dodge to a incredible amount, allowing you to dodge elemental stuff as well so you won't need that much resist all. Monk probably have a dodge bonus passive but double it and double it some more Jay Wilson style.

You already can dodge everything, including elemental attacks. You can dodge poison on the ground.

You already can dodge everything, including elemental attacks. You can dodge poison on the ground.

Umm ... this would be news to me. I can't dodge molten, desecrator or plague. I can't dodge those stupid tenticles that pop up either. I can dodge firechains, thought it's getting a nerf so ...

Cipherr

Not liking what Im hearing from people on the forums who play WD who have supposedly got a hold of the WD notes (in chinese). Seems like they nerfed something popular WD used alot also. Something about mana regen on VQ or something. (I know nothing about WD's heh)

Zaventem

Not liking what Im hearing from people on the forums who play WD who have supposedly got a hold of the WD notes (in chinese). Seems like they nerfed something popular WD used alot also. Something about mana regen on VQ or something. (I know nothing about WD's heh)

Yeah i feared the worst.Barb is blizzard's baby so they let it do whatever.WD is the class that needs significant changes and will probably be the cast that get the biggest impact from this patch.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Monks didn't get shit in the preview :(. I was hoping for something big. Aw well - I havent played in months, and am feeling the itch. I know it'll be easier regardless after the system changes.

Ploid 3.0

nvm found it. Thanks for the heads up. Now to see if I need to sell the gear back :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom