• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diamond industry ‘in trouble’ as lab-grown gemstones tank prices further

Spyxos

Gold Member
107259055-1687252121031-gettyimages-73754783-Par1232072.jpeg

• The demand for diamonds has declined as its allure fades in a key consumer market: China.
  • “Diamonds don’t really fit in anymore despite the strong legacy of De Beers under Anglo,” said independent diamond industry analyst Paul Zimnisky.
  • Diamond prices have fallen 5.7% so far this year, according to Zimnisky’s rough diamond index, declining more than 30% from their all-time high in 2022.

Falling marriage rates as well as growing popularity for gold and lab-grown gems all drove down Chinese demand for diamonds, said market research firm Daxue Consulting. The end of pandemic restrictions also saw consumers channeling their spending toward travel experiences instead of diamond products.

“The core issue is the rapid growth of lab-grown diamonds,” he said. Daga added that in the U.S., which is the largest consumer of diamonds, half of engagement ring stones will be lab grown this year, up from just 2% in 2018. Lab-grown diamonds, which can be up to 85% cheaper than natural diamonds, are made in a controlled environment using extreme pressure and heat.

“The diamond industry is in trouble,” Daga told CNBC, adding that he believes natural diamond prices could fall another 15%-20% over the next 12 months.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Good, it's all phony demand anyway. Why would anyone care if s gem is lab grown or not? It looks the fucking same.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Also we need lab grown meat next. There is not a single industry more deserving of getting destroyed.

You can tell they're shitting their pants already, can't even compete. Just straight up rigging it.

Ownage

Also we need lab grown meat next. There is not a single industry more deserving of getting destroyed.

You can tell they're shitting their pants already, can't even compete. Just straight up rigging it.

I've eaten lab-grown meat a few times. It tastes as weird as anything I've ever eaten. No f'in way will I ever try it again. Absolutely no.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

“Florida is fighting back against the global elite’s plan to force the world to eat meat grown in a petri dish or bugs to achieve their authoritarian goals,” DeSantis said. “We will save our beef.”

What the fuck does that even mean?? How are the global elite even involved lol don't get me wrong, if given the option to pay premium to have a proper steak from a grass fed hippy farm over some lab grown shit that tastes (eventually) the same I'll take the proper steak but let's not kid ourselves, lab grown meat for mass consumption is the future

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
“Florida is fighting back against the global elite’s plan to force the world to eat meat grown in a petri dish or bugs to achieve their authoritarian goals,” DeSantis said. “We will save our beef.”

What the fuck does that even mean?? How are the global elite even involved lol don't get me wrong, if given the option to pay premium to have a proper steak from a grass fed hippy farm over some lab grown shit that tastes (eventually) the same I'll take the proper steak but let's not kid ourselves, lab grown meat for mass consumption is the future
Not to get too into politics, but I suspect money might be involved. Remember what they tried to do to Oprah?

Last edited:

Dural

I'll become a vegetarian before eating lab grown meat.

Good. Gold next?

Gold has always held value, diamonds value is because of market manipulation by DeBeers.

Fuck diamonds and their overinflated value. Years ago a friend went to sell some rings to a jeweler and they wouldn't give her anything for the diamonds, just the gold. They're really not worth shit and never have been, DeBeers marketing market manipulation is what's made people think they're worth anything. My wife lost her original wedding ring set, and multiple other I've bought, it's all lab grown from now on.

GloveSlap

I'll become a vegetarian before eating lab grown meat.

Gold has always held value, diamonds value is because of market manipulation by DeBeers.

Fuck diamonds and their overinflated value. Years ago a friend went to sell some rings to a jeweler and they wouldn't give her anything for the diamonds, just the gold. They're really not worth shit and never have been, DeBeers marketing market manipulation is what's made people think they're worth anything. My wife lost her original wedding ring set, and multiple other I've bought, it's all lab grown from now on.
Yep. I always joked that i would rather buy my fiance a gold brick than an expensive diamond. Complete scam.

I fucking hope not

Puscifer

Man y'all are fucking nuts.

Store bought meat has changed enough in texture that I've resorted to buying quarter pigs and half beefs from farmers who raised it. I'll be damned if I switch to this full time, already thinking of going plant based already but this shit right here is a HELL NO.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Aren't natural diamonds plentiful and the diamond companies need to create a manufactured shortage to make them seem valuable? Think I read an article a while back about it.

Last edited:

Mistake

Gold Member
Aren't natural diamonds plentiful and the diamond companies need to create a manufactured shortage to make them seem valuable? Think I read an article a while back about it.
Yes, diamonds are basically controlled by three companies worldwide and they haul them out of mines by the sack full

Go_Ly_Dow

Good. Gold next?
Far as I understand, physical gold is resurging as Eastern economies are relying on the tried and trusted metal to back their currencies amongst all the financial turmoil. China in particular has massively increased their gold reserves, Russia as well.

It's likely gold will boom over the next few decades, hence why it's currently at all time highs at around $2,300 per oz vs like $1,600 per oz just a few years ago.

If the dollar weakens then currencies backed by it will begin flocking to gold as well.

Last edited:

Korranator

Not to get too into politics, but I suspect money might be involved. Remember what they tried to do to Oprah?
You're talking about GMOs, which have been banned all over the world. If anything it's politics that's keeping them from being banned in the US. Reasons for being banned is they are carsogenic, cause auto-immune issues, and ironically more toxic to the environment.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
You're talking about GMOs, which have been banned all over the world. If anything it's politics that's keeping them from being banned in the US. Reasons for being banned is they are carsogenic, cause auto-immune issues, and ironically more toxic to the environment.
Americans never let a simple thing that kills you or fucks you up stand in the way of greed

Blade2.0

That's pretty much every industry we've got. We waste half of what we make.

Top Bottom