• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone else love Goosebumps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odoul

I was looking at some old shelves and found a bunch of Goosebump books. I loved those and the show. It was for kids/teens, but it was actually kind of scary and cool. One thing going for them was they got me reading(something I didn't like doing). My favorite episode was about a kid visiting his grandparents with his friend. There was a huge monster in the house(locked from the outside) that ended up being allergic to him. They end up escaping the house at night only to find themselves in a worse situation. There were at least a couple other shows/cartoons in a similar style.

It's been said before but cartoons/ kids shows are not what they used to be.

MIMIC

Banned
I LOVED those books as a kid. The ones I liked the most were "Night of the Living Dummy" I and II. Part III wasn't really that good, IMO.

Bowser

MIMIC said:
I LOVED those books as a kid. The ones I liked the most were "Night of the Living Dummy" I and II. Part III wasn't really that good, IMO.

My favorites?

Night of the Living Dummy I and II
The Haunted Mask I and II (though II was considerably weaker than I).

hobbitx

I never read the books, but I loved the show, I used to watch it religiously Fox. I remember my friend who was into to the books used to bitch constantly about how the show sucked compared to the books.

When I got a little older and overcame my childhood addiction to tag, hide-n-seek, and throwing rocks, I did actually sit down long enough to enjoy a few horror books. I used to love the Scary Stories series, those books rocked.

Firest0rm

I've got one of those choose your path ones. The one with the crazy scientist. Man I loved that, there is no safe ending. They all involve something bad happening to you. :D

Bowser

Firest0rm said:
I've got one of those choose your path ones. The one with the crazy scientist. Man I loved that, there is no safe ending. They all involve something bad happening to you. :D
I thought there was always one "safe" ending, but they leave it open-ended as to what happened to the "villain."

cvxfreak

I read some Freshman year during silent reading. I forgot which ones exactly, but one of them involved visiting their uncles near the beach for awhile and they meet other kids with the same last name as them (as well as a graveyard with people of the same last name). Forgot what happened, but eh...

effzee

i collected up to #35 i think. used to get a new one every month from those book catalogs we used to get in school.

the show was horrible.

Chipopo

Banned
I collected up to 40s, I think. Although I can't make out one unique plot line.

I vaguely remember one about a camera that took pictures and people would look like skeletons...something like that...

Anyways, once Animorphs came to town it was goodbye Goosebumps hello Hork-Bajr, Yeerks and Andalites.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
MIMIC said:

Yep!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Man, the first few books really scared the crap out of me. The later ones just sucked.
My favorite was "The Ghost Next Door" mostly because of the ending.
Turns out, the main character, who thought her neighbor was the ghost, was actually the ghost.
Totally freaked me as a kid.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Jonny said:
Remember that show "Are you afraid of the dark?" I thought that show was scarier than goosebumps.

I enjoyed it more(at least more than the goosebumps show), but it bugged me that there was always a happy ending.

Although, there was one episode with a little frozen boy, and my brother and I both often find ourselves saying "I'm......cold" just like he did for no apparent reason. That kid was creepy.

mint

Banned
Haha I remember when that stuff was popular..and during school when we had those book fairs..gawd everyone would buy those..that and calvin and hobbes.

Bowser

Chipopo said:
I collected up to 40s, I think. Although I can't make out one unique plot line.

I vaguely remember one about a camera that took pictures and people would look like skeletons...something like that...

Anyways, once Animorphs came to town it was goodbye Goosebumps hello Hork-Bajr, Yeerks and Andalites.

omg you collected Animorphs too?! I have most of them, including all the chronicles and most of the megamorphs. I'm missing a couple in the 20s, 30s, and 40s, but only a few.

AniHawk

I had all 64 original Goosebumps books. I kept going until they went into Goosebumps 2000, but by then I was way too into Animorphs to keep going with Goosebumps.

Me too. The cover was cool back then, with the bumps and all.
Although Animorphs then sort of took over. Go Tobias-cool loner dude who turns into a hawk but can still get the hot chick.

AniHawk

Fresh Prince said:
Me too. The cover was cool back then, with the bumps and all.
Although Animorphs then sort of took over. Go Tobias-cool loner dude but still get the hot chick when you're a hawk!

AM03ENCOUNTER.jpg

The book which started the craze for me. Anyone knowing where my screen name comes from, there you go.

And Tobias was a badass.

Guzim

Welcome To Camp Nightmare was great, too bad the ending still pisses me off.

They are on another planet, and the camp was a test to see if the kid can handle going to Earth.

AniHawk

Bowser said:
AM54BEGINNING.jpg

Last book in the series. If I remember correctly,
Rachel dies :(

That pissed me off. Not so much because
she died, but because she was the only one Tobias had left. Jake should have sent one of the crippled kids. Her death scene was so sad.

And the actual ending to the series at the end of the book felt so rushed and empty.

The Encounter, The Andalite Chronicles, The Hork-Bajir Chronicles, Visser, Megamorphs #2, Megamorphs #4, and the David arc were my favorites
(Especially when it made it look like Tobias was killed in one of the books)

Come to think of it all those books had a gimmick, if I remember correctly at the bottom of the page the character animorphs.

Look how it's turned:
Horror->Sci-Fi->Magic
whoever can find the next 'it' and write about it is a new millionaire. I'm going to write a preen book on pirates.

Bowser

GG-Duo said:
What kind of animal is Testicle-head?

Not an animal; Andalite (an alien creature). Sort of a cross between a human and a deer, with blue fur, four eyes (two regular eyes, and an eye on each stalk on its head), and no mouth.

AniHawk

GG-Duo said:
What kind of animal is Testicle-head?

That would be an andalite.

elfangor.jpg

That's the brother of the guy who was in your quote. Died in the first book, and was the main character in The Andalite Chronicles.

Oh man, I remember the David arc. Man, that dude pissed me off.
Me too. Great villain to be introduced (instead of how it was almost always Visser Three every book). Loved how they tricked him at the end, and his return much later in the series.

Bowser

Oops, forgot that minor detail of having a long, scorpion-like tail :eek:

Remember the Animorphs show? Damn, it sucked REALLY bad. I like to pretend it never happened...

Chipopo

Banned
AniHawk said:
and his return much later in the series.

!!!!!!!!!WHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Goddamnit, I stopped reading before that point. You have to tell me what happened. TELLL MEEE.

AniHawk

Chipopo said:
!!!!!!!!!WHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Goddamnit, I stopped reading before that point. You have to tell me what happened. TELLL MEEE.

It's Animorphs #48, The Return.

David, who was one of the worst threats the Animorphs ever had to face, is only a memory now. He tried to kill Tobias, and almost killed Jake, but the Animorphs trapped him in rat morph and placed him on a deserted island. Never to be heard from again.

Or so they thought. David, driven insane by his experiences, is back. He managed to escape the island and is after Rachel. Sure, a rat isn't much of a trouble -- but Crayak, the Ellimist's big red eye of an enemy, is back as well. The Animorphs outsmarted David before, but Rachel, by herself, may not be able to win this battle....

It's part of the final, 9-book story arc (which started with #45). A bunch of shit goes down between #45 and the end, including David's return, Tobias meeting Loren, Jake handing the morphing cube over to Tom to save Cassie, and other big, big stuff (which is mentioned also in Megamorphs #4 and Visser). Some were better than others, but the final 9 (+ the two extra books I mentioned) were overall really well done.

There's also The Ellimist Chronicles, but it's not that great.

Oh man, I collected them up to #50. I LOVED the books so much. Although, sadly, I remember almost nothing about the books other than their titles and some vague details (like in one of them, one of the guy's friends turns out to be a wolf).

Did R.L. Stine really pump these books out once a month?

Also, I'll start searching after I finish this post, but anybody got any good Goosebumps sites which have basic summaries of all the books, so I can try to refresh myself.

demi

While on the topic of R.L. Stine (Goosebumps), did anyone like Fear Street?

Or how about that other quirky horror type series - Strange Matter? It wasn't written by R.L, but it was a very good series I thought. They all tied together too, which was very cool. Like one book would be about one kid's tale, while the next may involve another, yet somehow speak of a previous character's dilemma.

This eventually culminated into one nice novel - Strange Forces. Wow I want to read this now! :p

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1567140572/102-6708946-0539343?v=glance

Doogdogg

Jonny said:
Remember that show "Are you afraid of the dark?" I thought that show was scarier than goosebumps.

It wasn't that it's scarier, it's just that its a much better show. Goosebumps are for kids, and AYAOTD was for teens.

Dram

Man, I loved Strange Matter! I never got to finish the series though, because I could never find the last few books. It was strange, because it seemed to be a popular series, but then poof; it disappeared from the book stores.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
0671737295.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This thread reminded me of this series. It was only 4 books, but I LOVED IT.

Dyne

Oh yeah. I used to read a lot of Bruce Coville's books as a child. I also liked Encyclopedia Brown because they had the whole series at the library, and I took them out every week.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
RevenantKioku said:
0671737295.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This thread reminded me of this series. It was only 4 books, but I LOVED IT.
Damned straight. I loved Bruce Coville's books way back when I was in fourth or fifth grade. The 'Teacher' books were definitely the highlight, but I recall some short story compilations that were very cool, and some other series with miniature aliens.

RevenantKioku

Dan said:
Damned straight. I loved Bruce Coville's books way back when I was in fourth or fifth grade. The 'Teacher' books were definitely the highlight, but I recall some short story compilations that were very cool, and some other series with miniature aliens.
The Monster's Ring, Goblins in the Castle, The Dragonslayers, Jeremy Thatcher - Dragon Hatcher!!
The other series was the alines series.
Aliens ate my Homework, I left my Sneakers in Dimension X, The Search for Snout, I don't remember if there were any others.
Oh man. I loved those books.

Edit: I just looked up some stuff, man I read almost all of this. Space Brat was an awesome series too.

I remember the Goosebumps "era". All my friends were obsesed with them, hell, all kids everywhere were obsesed with them. I sprang for the more mature themed books from the book orders/book fairs that my school had. Once Animorphs came along I was into real fiction novels, so I never got into those either. Are You Afraid Of The Dark brings back fond memories of YTV. Remember how they would throw the dust or whatever the hell it was on the fire at the begining of each story?

EDIT: I forgot about Bruce Coville. He was fucking awesome. I Left My Sneakers In Demension X being my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom