• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Romulus | Rotten Watch

wondermega

You got lucky, nice! I wasn’t so much six years back. Was seeing Bad Times at the El Royale (a film I really love, and I hope more people check it out) and the film was in the final act with things looking VERY bad for the protagonists. The film was right at a “one of these two people is most likely about to die” moment and then the screen goes black. The audio plays a bit longer, although just a few shots and screaming so not enough to spoil what happened exactly, but then the audio stopped as well. I forget exactly what went wrong, but yeah, it was the last showing of it that night and while I got a refund they were unable to fix the issue in time before closing. So I had to head back the next day to watch it from the beginning (but thankfully I loved the whole film, so it wasn’t too bad to sit through it again so soon).
Yeah I DID get lucky, I was surprised. I would've waited to catch the rest of the film on streaming (whenever it would basically have been free on one of the main services) and that would likely have ruined the experience of the last act for me. Maybe I'd've just waited a solid year or something to rewatch the whole thing, who knows.

Thanks for reminding me about Bad Times, it's been on my "to watch" list for ages - I'll probably check it out this week due to the recommendation :)

When discount Tom Hardy gets sick in Prometheus they blame the helmet removal...
Helmets don't help anyone in these movies, starting with the original. And you'll notice Dallas doesn't give a fuck about quarantine anyway. Plus they use shitty cloth masks when the facehugger is inside.

violence

The first shot of the offspring, when everything goes silent, is some amazing Dead Space live action shit.

JaUy3ir.jpeg
The audience I was with had quite a reaction to that shot. Very creepy. I didn’t like the tail as a design choice however.

Thaedolus

Man, this thread making me want to go watch Prometheus again and Covenant for the first time is an unexpected development.

The first movie has more gore lmao
The acid death was such bullshit. I was expecting some dissolving action like in The Blob and then...
PAXupH8.gif
Agree with this…I felt like more could’ve been done with the acid and that’s the perfect analogy for that death

Valonquar

I rewatch-binged the OG 4 and 2 prequel movies a few months ago. 3 is still a mess, 4 is just a beta release of the Firefly TV series. The prequels had me nearly gay for Fassbender, thankfully Theron was there to keep me in check, even if she was too stupid to dodge a giant spaceship. You could tell Ridley Scott is too limited in trying new things by sticking with the sequels\prequels because while it wasn't perfect by any means, Raised by Wolves had some amazing new ideas with aliens.

gatti-man

I’d give it a solid 8/10. Oddly enough the pandering callbacks to aliens was the worst part of the movie for me. Totally unnecessary. R is strong enough on its own as a movie. The synthetic use was cool the world building coming from actual Weyland colonies was fresh. Over all the movie rocked for me.

Ulysses 31

The synthetic use was cool.
Eh, Ash was secretly an android in Alien but now it turns out there's multiple of him? :messenger_astonished:

It's even dressed the same with same hairstyle and speech pattern. Clearly a case of having memberberries at the cost of fictional verisimilitude.

Unless you were just talking about Andy...

Last edited:
Seeing Romulus tomorrow. Can’t wait.
Romulus requires multiple viewings before you can appreciate it. Not that good the first time around but certainly better on the second and third.

Par for the course with every ALIEN film in the franchise. Not one film in the franchise is like the other that comes before it or after it. Funny that.

ALIEN cubed has a soft spot in my pants because of the desolate atmosphere coupled together with the Elliot Goldenthal score.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Seen it, I have the unpleasant impression of a huge waste.

The film is full of super cool ideas here and there but none of them are exploited. The casting is not convincing and we feel no empathy for them due to a development time that feels rushed (despite lasting for 40+ minutes I think). The boring scenes accumulate, distilled between some nice set-ups (spoiler: almost none will be exploited). Once in the station, all characters lose 50 IQ points and start doing stupid things (except the Marie Sue obviously).

The worst part are the missed opportunities, and inevitably what comes to mind first is the acid scene. What a shame, FFS. I don't even want to elaborate and honestly the film is already out of my head because it's so... empty.

Romulus is full of inconsistencies, for sure it's less 'flamboyant' than a scientist who sticks his head in a disgusting egg but as an honorable mention we can still note the station of several kilometers which goes completely unnoticed except for 5 hicks on the ground, the Weyland are capable of finding the Xeno but not that? Or we can talk about the 400 Facehuggers which are 10 meters from where they take the cryo-fuel but no one questions or notices the dozens of disgusting pods??

The film is not scary at all, totally fails to create a stressful atmosphere and the few poor screamers did not work on me or the two other people who accompanied me. Two tiny "gore" scenes very quickly dispatched while we had situations with great potential but no, Fede Alvarez is satisfied with the minimum.

Yet another saga victim of cardboard scriptwriters incapable of producing something good, without forgetting the responsibility of Grandpa Scott who probably impose ridiculous specifications and stick his nose everywhere. It's hard to say who is most responsible, but I don't understand how they achieve such a result with a rich IP like Alien.

4/10.

Ulysses 31

Seen it, I have the unpleasant impression of a huge waste.

The film is full of super cool ideas here and there but none of them are exploited. The casting is not convincing and we feel no empathy for them due to a development time that feels rushed (despite lasting for 40+ minutes I think). The boring scenes accumulate, distilled between some nice set-ups (spoiler: almost none will be exploited). Once in the station, all characters lose 50 IQ points and start doing stupid things (except the Marie Sue obviously).

The worst part are the missed opportunities, and inevitably what comes to mind first is the acid scene. What a shame, FFS. I don't even want to elaborate and honestly the film is already out of my head because it's so... empty.

Romulus is full of inconsistencies, for sure it's less 'flamboyant' than a scientist who sticks his head in a disgusting egg but as an honorable mention we can still note the station of several kilometers which goes completely unnoticed except for 5 hicks on the ground, the Weyland are capable of finding the Xeno but not that? Or we can talk about the 400 Facehuggers which are 10 meters from where they take the cryo-fuel but no one questions or notices the dozens of disgusting pods??

The film is not scary at all, totally fails to create a stressful atmosphere and the few poor screamers did not work on me or the two other people who accompanied me. Two tiny "gore" scenes very quickly dispatched while we had situations with great potential but no, Fede Alvarez is satisfied with the minimum.

Yet another saga victim of cardboard scriptwriters incapable of producing something good, without forgetting the responsibility of Grandpa Scott who probably impose ridiculous specifications and stick his nose everywhere. It's hard to say who is most responsible, but I don't understand how they achieve such a result with a rich IP like Alien.

4/10.
dr-dre.gif

400 Facehuggers which are 10 meters from where they take the cryo-fuel but no one questions or notices the dozens of disgusting pods??
That whole setup is odd: the people who put those things in there, wouldn't have some sort of back-up power for the cryos? It takes about a minute for a face hugger to thaw out and become a threat. Shouldn't those facehugger also be in some sort of container in case those cryos fail?

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Just saw it, some bits were really good, some less so, overstays it's welcome. I could make a list of things I did and didn't like and would end up with a longer list of likes.

Walked in with fairly low expectations, but it's a 7/10 for me.

Puscifer

Covenant is one of the worst films I've ever had the displeasure of watching. Easily the worst Alien movie IMO. Incoherent, paper thin plot, and massive immersion breaking plot holes.

If people are saying Covenant is better than Romulus then I might not even bother watching it.
Anyone who says Covenant is anything other than hot shit is not worth listening too. I'm just saying I loved the idea of Prometheus taking place in the universe but not being a sequel/prequel, because it was more interesting than trying to top 2 perfect films (See: Terminator 1 and 2). Having a 2 minute scene where David genocided the entire engineer race and killing off the main survivor of the previous film off screen felt a dick slap

Deerock71

Just saw it, some bits were really good, some less so, overstays it's welcome. I could make a list of things I did and didn't like and would end up with a longer list of likes.

Walked in with fairly low expectations, but it's a 7/10 for me.
This is the best counter-argument; the movie industry could use a quality producer and/or editor. This movie would have benefitted greatly from AT LEAST 15 minutes of editing.

Alebrije

The movie is good, I liked how the Aliens killed easily the charecters since they are just miners young adults but a the same time this factor gave little surprise factor Made the movie bland.
The major villian is the old android so he should have played a deep role on the movie not just controlling the young android. He should have been something like Hal from 2001.

But overall is a solid 8/10 movie.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Caught it.

It was alright. Feels like it was "remember this" kind of movie. Trying to be all the Alien movies at once and ultimately being bland.

Cast was too young.

The opening 30 minutes were great and it went downhill once a certain character shows up.

The facehuggers felt more threatening than the actual Alien.
Not a lot of gore in a franchise known for horrific deaths.

5/10

violence

A certain YouTube movie review channel speculated if CGI Ash was Disney’s idea and made a connection to rogue one.

QTtg1ZM.jpeg

It got me thinking that Romulus 2 could have CGI Lance Hendrickson, but then there could be a reveal that they’re just playing a Cameron 4K Blu-ray.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Just saw it i got used to the gore in covenant. This felt like a pg13 movie cool sequence
going through the acid in gravity
would’ve like more gun sequences but that’s just a personal preference since I like action it’s alright

Last edited:

Doom85

Editing down or editing 15 more minutes into the film?

I don’t think it needed that much more, but I would highly disagree with taking out 15 minutes, geezus. It’s that kind of brutal editing by editors who think audiences have zero patience that gives us garbage like the theatrical cut of the Daredevil movie.

Editor: This movie’s too long! Do we really need these scenes with Matt as a lawyer defending this guy?
Director: Well, for one thing, it’s his job and a significant element of the comics, and two, Matt defending this guy ultimately lets them figure out how to pin Kingpin for his crimes.
Editor: I don’t care, the movie’s too long! Cut it!
Director: Oookay, but when Daredevil beats the Kingpin in a fight, and Kingpin is laughing saying that he’s still not going to jail, and then Daredevil reveals that the police now have evidence of Kingpin’s crimes, the audience is going to be very confused as to where that evidence came from. Don’t you think the method in how they beat the main villain himself is kinda import-
Editor: DAMN IT, man! Fuck your respect for the nature of cinema! I’m trying to think of those with weak ass bladder control! Now cut it, I say!

A certain YouTube movie review channel speculated if CGI Ash was Disney’s idea and made a connection to rogue one.

QTtg1ZM.jpeg

It got me thinking that Romulus 2 could have CGI Lance Hendrickson, but then there could be a reveal that they’re just playing a Cameron 4K Blu-ray.
According to an interview with Alvarez it was Ridley Scott's idea... It's in Variety I think. But in the same interview he says he didn't realise that the ending was Alien Resurrection 2, which is a blatant lie.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That scene made me chuckle with the lines:

"You've only got one magazine."

Me: That's not good

"450 rounds"
I guess every bullet is the size of a BB, no wonder it takes an entire mag to stop a xeno!

And I wish they had some subtley with the call backs, imagine if someone had an assault rifle they called "Harsh Language", now THAT'S an Easter egg!

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Romulus did well over the weekend. Smart move to release in theaters instead of dumping it on Hulu.

In a perfect world Disney will fund more sequels and let Ridley finish his trilogy.

I saw it on Monday night - admittedly the last showing of the day. My girlfriend and I plus one other couple were the audience for the screening. I hope that was a blip!

find your own gif of a motion tracker, please.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

I'm quick to shit on him and call him out but once again our opinions align. But the film was trying to pay tribute in a cringy way, not stealing. lol.

violence

I'm quick to shit on him and call him out but once again our opinions align. But the film was trying to pay tribute in a cringy way, not stealing. lol.

Fanservice. Better the movie avoided it.

Prey using "if I bleeds, we can kill it" worked. It made perfect sense in the time period. "Get away from her you female dog, yolo" Doesn't make sense for the robots to say of course.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm wondering if we'll ever see a male lead in an Alien film? Wouldn't that subvert expectations?
Did you just assume an Aluen Queens pronouns???

But yeah, seems like fair play to take this series which is batting like 8/9 for female leads (was there a female lead for avp2 or convenant?) to become more diverse and inclusive and have Glen Powell star in the next one :p

Doom85

was there a female lead for avp2

Nope, male lead, but it‘s understandable you wouldn’t be sure since as I said above, the movie’s so damn poorly lit that you’d have to stay for the credits to even know who was in the film you just saw.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Nope, male lead, but it‘s understandable you wouldn’t be sure since as I said above, the movie’s so damn poorly lit that you’d have to stay for the credits to even know who was in the film you just saw.
Yeah, about all I remember from avp2 is the hot blonde girl getting sliced in half on the wall with the disc and the ob ward full of laboring women getting impregnated by the predalien. Dark shit in that flick.

Top Bottom