• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Community Thread |OT| For all the Digidestined on GAF

Saw this on With the Will. Digimon World: Next Order Vita vs PS4 comparison from a Chinese article.

Jg04EbE.jpg

If this is accurate (I don't know how trustworthy the source is), the Decode comparison might actually be more than just words.
Holy crap.

Ps4 Spanish gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LO-l3Z97GE&feature=share

Playthrough of same area in the Vita version for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77FbAPt-xcI

Love how improved the textures are.

Holy crap.

Ps4 Spanish gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LO-l3Z97GE&feature=share

Playthrough of same area in the Vita version for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77FbAPt-xcI

Love how improved the textures are.

I originally pre-ordered Next Order just to support the franchise in the hopes of a future Cyber Sleuth 2 but after seeing that PS4 gameplay I'm legit hyped for this port, can't wait... but still no Bancho Lilimon or BelleStarmon :(

Regarding that gameplay vid, I saw that at 4:30 there is the list of Digimon and it has been increased to 232. If you compare it to Vita version + DLC, it actually means that 13 new Digimons were added, not just 12.
... Thats something?

Also those graphics are massively improved. I expected much less honestly.

Also a small cringe, Panjyamon was referred as Iceleomon.

I wouldn't be surprised if they add more as they go along (especially recolors, ohohohoho).

Actually, I think they are almost out of recolors... Unless you wanna go Super duper obscure.

Interestingly there is Zassomon aka OG Digimon Worlds worst customer.

Uhhh Black Gargomon line?

Black Growmon? Black Vmon line-ish?

Uhhh another blue Veedramon? Would Mastertyrannomon count?

Interesting fact that I got reminded of. I believe Megaseadramon and Metalseadramon have almost always been clones in other games. They share same animations in DW1, DW3, Cyber Sleuth and Next Order. Do they count as recolors? :v

I'm not too fussed about the graphical upgrades, but I hope that at the very least the new Digimon get patched into the Vita version.

It looks really nice. Glad Juri and Leomon are getting this treatment. I'm sure we'll be getting Jianliang and Terriermon announced soon, but hopefully we can also get a Shaochung and Lopmon figure.

Actually, I think they are almost out of recolors... Unless you wanna go Super duper obscure.

Interestingly there is Zassomon aka OG Digimon Worlds worst customer.

Uhhh Black Gargomon line?

Black Growmon? Black Vmon line-ish?

Uhhh another blue Veedramon? Would Mastertyrannomon count?

Interesting fact that i got reminded of. I believe Megaseadramon and Metalseadramon have almost always been clones in other games. They share same animations in DW1, DW3, Cyber Sleuth and Next Order. Do they count as recolors? :v

There's always the black Imperialdramon versions and the Black Gaogamon line. Black Guilmon and Black Growmon weren't in Next Order, either, despite Black Megalo Growmon being in it. Also the evil versions of all 3 great angels.

They'll never run out of recolors. And if they do, they can always just make up some more like that totally random Guardromon (Gold) they created for Next Order.

There's always the black Imperialdramon versions and the Black Gaogamon line. Black Guilmon and Black Growmon weren't in Next Order, either, despite Black Megalo Growmon being in it. Also the evil versions of all 3 great angels.

They'll never run out of recolors. And if they do, they can always just make up some more like that totally random Guardromon (Gold) they created for Next Order.

I did mention Black Vmon line? Granted Black Vmon and Black Paildramon doesnt exists but XV-mon, Imperialdramon and FM does. Black I-dramon FM is weird tho. It only appeared in ONE CARD. And never used again.

…Maybe he could be used? I was happy that BlackKingNumemon returned after being only used in a card and DW3.

A pet peeve of mine is that Next Order doesnt have enough ultimates/perfects. Theres more champions/adults which feels wrong, even if its because of recolors.

Guardromon Gold shouldve been ultimate I guess.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Appmon had a very solid start, enjoyed Episode 1 and how different Haru was. Whiny, but not necessarily in an annoying way.

I also think it has a bit of an edge as a "reboot" compared to the regular Digimon since I feel it uses the digital theme far better, the Appmon having a greater sense of cohesion in their designs and themes as opposed to classic Digimon which always sort of bounced between weird pseudo-realistic creatures and bizarre monstrosities.

Wow, took them long enough for Super...

No kidding.

Appmon had a very solid start, enjoyed Episode 1 and how different Haru was. Whiny, but not necessarily in an annoying way.

I also think it has a bit of an edge as a "reboot" compared to the regular Digimon since I feel it uses the digital theme far better, the Appmon having a greater sense of cohesion in their designs and themes as opposed to classic Digimon which always sort of bounced between weird pseudo-realistic creatures and bizarre monstrosities.

I like that Haru is more of a Takato-like protagonist. It's also nice that he was involved in the battle with Gatchmon. Google-fu is a real skill people!

I'm looking forward to the other characters, though I'm a bit wary of idol girl.

I like that Haru is more of a Takato-like protagonist. It's also nice that he was involved in the battle with Gatchmon. Google-fu is a real skill people!

I'm looking forward to the other characters, though I'm a bit wary of idol girl.

Yeah, Haru being involved in the fight was a nice touch. I really like the dynamic that he and Gatchmon have. The bit where he was running his hands through him earlier in the episode was really nice. I'm hoping that the other main characters all have similarly strong dynamics with their partners.

woodland

So, late to the party, but I just finished all of Tri 3 and man it's so good to see everyone in action again, but it's just a disappointment.
Agumon literally only caring about food?
Digimon not knowing what "memories" are?
Everyone speaks like a robot, it just feels so scripted

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Now that someone is actually working on it, I just watched ep 1 of AppliMon. It was interesting, and the concept is different, but not bad! Lots of Tamers references, so I can see what people are saying when they compare the two.

Nice, looks like someone else picked up AppliMon. I'm glad I don't have to sit through raws, cause I'd rather understand 100% of the script. Still hoping that CR picks it up at some point, but I doubt it.

EDIT: Speaking of AppliMon It doesn't sound like we will be getting the game, cause "for kids!" :/ Too bad, I heard good impressions from the demo.

I imagine they would (or think they would) have to rely on a younger audience to sell an Appli Monster game. Cyber Sleuth and Next Order appeal to fans of the older seasons. I can see Appmon failing with a lot of that audience just for not having Agumon in it.

If it finds success with a dub, they might reconsider it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Episode 2 of Appmon was good as well. I'm really happy with how the show is turning out so far.

Navimon was in this one! :D He has to be one of my favorite Appmon designs.

I also like how full of himself Cameramon is. Just what you'd expect a camera app to be.

It feels a bit like Yokai Watch so far, and I don't say that as a bad thing. Appmon of the week causing an inconvenience people can relate to, Gatchmon looks them up, Haru collects them as chips, etc. Obviously stakes are higher in this show, and there's a lot more action/plot going on.

Navimon was in this one! :D He has to be one of my favorite Appmon designs.

I also like how full of himself Cameramon is. Just what you'd expect a camera app to be.

It feels a bit like Yokai Watch so far, and I don't say that as a bad thing. Appmon of the week causing an inconvenience people can relate to, Gatchmon looks them up, Haru collects them as chips, etc. Obviously stakes are higher in this show, and there's a lot more action/plot going on.

Yeah, Navimon's design is just awesome. He really looked great in the episode. And I loved how down to earth the whole idea of a GPS app wreaking havoc was. It was a really strong showing for the concept of the series.

And Cameramon was a really pleasant surprise for me. Based on the first episode I was expecting more of a stoic type of villain given how he was acting, but he turned out to be a complete narcissist. It does make sense, like you say, with him being a camera app, but it really took me by surprise and cracked me up. I'm hoping we have him around for awhile to liven things up.

Yeah, Navimon's design is just awesome. He really looked great in the episode. And I loved how down to earth the whole idea of a GPS app wreaking havoc was. It was a really strong showing for the concept of the series.

I honestly think if they push the dubs hard enough, they would find success with this concept outside of Japan. A problem Yokai Watch has is that it is rooted in Japanese culture, and even if the English dub didn't struggle to hide that fact, you still lose something in translation to a young foreign audience. Apps are much more universal by comparison.

Unfortunately, I don't see anyone taking a chance to push it that much after Fusion.

And Cameramon was a really pleasant surprise for me. Based on the first episode I was expecting more of a stoic type of villain given how he was acting, but he turned out to be a complete narcissist. It does make sense, like you say, with him being a camera app, but it really took me by surprise and cracked me up. I'm hoping we have him around for awhile to liven things up.

I hope he stays around in some way when the bigger bads show up.

Yeah, Appmon has a lot of hooks that could lead to a dub actually finding success, but I don't see it getting that chance in the US given the recent performance of the franchise.

I hope he stays around in some way when the bigger bads show up.

Cameramon totally has potential as the sort of recurring PicoDevimon/Makuramon character for Appmon. I hope he can live up to that and stick around for awhile.

Tusk

Cameramon will probably stick around up to his ultimate grade, unless he has an unrevealed god grade.

Speaking of God Grades, The main characters of the anime, Onmon and Offmons, and the main villain for the games God Grades are all known now, including what fusions are needed to get to them.

Big spoilers if you care for the plot at all, but for Haru's Gatchmon to reach God Grade his
Globemon needs to fuse with Charismon which is an evil counterpart to Globemon. They have very similar designs, so it's obvious they had some connection. It's a big surprise that he'd turn good and fuse with Globemon though

You can see them all here, if you don't mind spoilers http://www.geocities.jp/digimonxiii/appmon.html

Pretty disappointing if Appmon doesn't get localized. I liked Cyber Sleuth a lot, but I can honestly say I much prefer Appmon to it, and would take it over Cyber Sleuth any day. The gameplay is much better. Already put in a ton of time into Cyber Arena.

what's the grading tier in appmon? normal > ??? > ??? > god?
edit: oh I should've checked the geocities link. normal > super > extreme > god eh

Tusk

It's actually ultimate, not extreme. I can't wait to see the God designs. The ultimates are great, was really surprised to see them as not-chibi. I hope the God Appmon get even bigger.

It's actually ultimate, not extreme. I can't wait to see the God designs. The ultimates are great, was really surprised to see them as not-chibi. I hope the God Appmon get even bigger.

ahh yeah makes sense. I just took 極 as a stand alone word, instead of being part of the usual 究極体 term. my bad
edit: since you said you can't wait to see the god grade designs, I guess those that has lock on that page doesn't have its design revealed yet?

Tusk

ahh yeah makes sense. I just took 極 as a stand alone word, instead of being part of the usual 究極体 term. my bad
edit: since you said you can't wait to see the god grade designs, I guess those that has lock on that page doesn't have its design revealed yet?

Yeah, they're not revealed yet. Wont be until the main game is released in December.

Big spoilers if you care for the plot at all, but for Haru's Gatchmon to reach God Grade his
Globemon needs to fuse with Charismon which is an evil counterpart to Globemon. They have very similar designs, so it's obvious they had some connection. It's a big surprise that he'd turn good and fuse with Globemon though
All of the God Grade stuff is pretty interesting.
You have Revivemon pairing with Biomon (making Hadesmon), Oujamon with Beautymon (making Poseidomon), and Entermon with Fakemon (making Uranusmon).

I can see them going pretty cool directions with all of them. They better not disappoint!

Anyone know somewhere I can listen to Digimon Tri's soundtrack at? I normally go to YouTube to listen to music but I can't find anything besides the theme and ending songs on it.

Lynx_7

Just watched Digimon Tri part 3. Gonna be interesting to see where things go from here. It's too late to write my full thoughts but I'll just leave this here: WHY WON'T YOU MEGA/ULTRA DIGIVOLVE FROM THE START? You guys can do it, so what the hell are you doing fighting in champion form?!
Though I like how, in true Adventures fashion, Kairi and Takeru are gonna be the last ones to get new forms. God bless you writers.

But who was that dude at the end supposed to be? Is he someone new or was that supposed to be a throwback to a character I can't remember?

Just watched Digimon Tri part 3. Gonna be interesting to see where things go from here. It's too late to write my full thoughts but I'll just leave this here: WHY WON'T YOU MEGA/ULTRA DIGIVOLVE FROM THE START? You guys can do it, so what the hell are you doing fighting in champion form?!
Though I like how, in true Adventures fashion, Kairi and Takeru are gonna be the last ones to get new forms. God bless you writers.

But who was that dude at the end supposed to be? Is he someone new or was that supposed to be a throwback to a character I can't remember?

That's Gennai's 02 look (in Adventure he was a really old guy).

That's Gennai's 02 look (in Adventure he was a really old guy).

It's actually his younger form, there's a flashback when Kari gets possessed(By homeostasis?). In 02 he's back to this form, with various copies of himself. He plays a very important role in all the adventure series, they're also doing alot of throwbacks to the original series in the third part so a rewatch of the original will definetly make the movies better.

EDIT- So it's episode 45 of Adventure 01 , this is the episode with the most throwbacks to tri , so watch this at the very least if you haven't watched adventure in a long time!
That black orb piedmon puts into Gennai hasn't been addressed either.
Also, there's the obvious question as to why Nyaromon is with the other digimon at the end of part 3.

Lynx_7

I think it's been like, 5 or 6 years since I last watched Adventures. I remember Gennai having a younger form, it just didn't click with me that that was him. I don't remember much from 02 though so I have no idea what his role was on that one. I was gonna theorize that him being back to his younger self was due to
the reboot
but if he was already like that on 02 then that's a moot point.

I wonder if they'll bring back Devimon, Etemon and Myotismon. I guess bringing back Myotismon again might be a bit too much considering they already shoehorned him in as 02's big bad but I wouldn't mind, guy's still the best villain of the franchise. I already heard they're bringing
Piedmon and the others
back, hope they're done justice. I want to see them used in new ways and situations though, if this is just a retread of what they already did back in Adventures then I'll be disappointed.

I think it's been like, 5 or 6 years since I last watched Adventures. I remember Gennai having a younger form, it just didn't click with me that that was him. I don't remember much from 02 though so I have no idea what his role was on that one. I was gonna theorize that him being back to his younger self was due to
the reboot
but if he was already like that on 02 then that's a moot point.

I wonder if they'll bring back Devimon, Etemon and Myotismon. I guess bringing back Myotismon again might be a bit too much considering they already shoehorned him in as 02's big bad but I wouldn't mind, guy's still the best villain of the franchise. I already heard they're bringing
Piedmon and the others
back, hope they're done justice. I want to see them used in new ways and situations though, if this is just a retread of what they already did back in Adventures then I'll be disappointed.

Yeah I liked Adventure Myotismon as well. The thing with the reboot is, we don't know how far back the digital world's history goes. There's also the "original" digidestined which were mentioned in season 1 and then never mentioned again. There's also Apocalimon(the big bad villain from 01, who caused the Dark masters to be created) . Tri part 4 is going to be a Digimon fans wet dream since there's so much they can do, but there's also the time restraint of it being a movie T_T.
At the very least you should read up on Gennai since he's been an integral part of both Adventure 01 & 02 , he's the reason the kids don't have their crests anymore either (which is basically just a plot point and seems shoehorned in).
Only Machindramon is confirmed , since all we have on the next movie is that poster afaik. There's the machinedramon from Ryo's story/game as well, Ryo's travelled worlds to the tamers universe so him coming back isn't out of the ordinary.

Lynx_7

Yes it is. Awesome to see this clearly! Ok let's interpret... Sora is holding onto Taichi, but he's grabbing onto Yamato's arm :p
Here's the correct interpretation: Tai is holding Yamato's arm because, as we all know, he kinda has the hots for him. Meanwhile, Sora is like "nuh-uh, you take your hands off my husbando or I'll throw you inside Machinedramon's cannon" while grabbing him by his collar to assert her dominance. Meanwhile, Yamato takes advantage of the situation to stare at Sora's boobs.
So, what does this all mean? Well, here's how it'll play out in the movie:
none of it matters because who cares about Sora, just give me more Kairi and Mimi :p

Tri part 4 is going to be a Digimon fans wet dream since there's so much they can do, but there's also the time restraint of it being a movie T_T.
At the very least you should read up on Gennai since he's been an integral part of both Adventure 01 & 02 , he's the reason the kids don't have their crests anymore either (which is basically just a plot point and seems shoehorned in).
Only Machindramon is confirmed , since all we have on the next movie is that poster afaik. There's the machinedramon from Ryo's story/game as well, Ryo's travelled worlds to the tamers universe so him coming back isn't out of the ordinary.
The fact that they have "just" 3 more movies makes me wonder how the whole "the digimon don't remember anything!" thing will play out. The logical development, were this paced like a TV anime, would be to slowly work through their relationships one by one, with episodes dedicated to each of the digimon and their respective digidestined. However, since they only have so much time to work with in a movie format, they'll have to opt for a quicker alternative, which is a bit risky if they don't execute it properly. I imagine they're gonna want to have everyone properly evolved by the end of the series and right now they're basically back to square one, so I'm interested in seeing how they'll handle that.
As for Ryo, while possible, I wouldn't bet on it. He seems too ingrained into Tamers and hasn't really been relevant for the franchise in a while. I'm not ruling it out, but it makes little sense for a series that is basically fanservice for fans of Adventures.
They're obviously saving him for the inevitable Digimon Tamers sequel with Chiaki Konaka back to write the new script. Please Toei just make me happy this once I promise I won't ask for anything else

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
AppliMon ep 2.

You know, I like the idea of phone epps becoming personified, or well, monsterfied. Kind of amusing that GPS was this episode's, just thinking back to the official iPhone GPS system :p Possible inspiration?

Appmon Episode 3 was another good episode. The way that Roleplaymon wound up being integrated was pretty amusing, and I wasn't expecting some of those methods of wreaking havoc with people.

Next week's episode looks incredible based on the preview and title. If the show hits on it right it should easily be the best episode yet.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
AppliMon ep 3.

DoGatchmon really looks like a cross between Shoutmon and Dukemon :p Well, this episode is starting to have plot happen. We also find out that
links can actually.... fail. Sort of "Skullgreymon Effect", but not exactly forced/evil.

Watch Da Birdie

Appmon's honestly pretty on-point, surprisingly funny too...took the best parts of Yokai Watch imo (the summon scenes are a bit too long though) but with enough of its own thing, the way they've used each Appmon is clever and so far this show does a great job at really living up to the "Digital" element of Digital Monsters.

Also pleasantly surprised to see Haru defeat Roleplaymon indirectly like that, he's a nice shift in protagonists.

Love the running gag with that afro'd dude.

The summoning scenes are a bit much. It doesn't help that there are evolution/link and search scenes as well. As the season goes on, they'll probably get shorter or at least have more variety.

Couple bits of news:

V-Jump has revealed a new Wyvern-ish Ultimate Digimon for Links. I can't post the scan, but it shouldn't be hard to find. Watch it be Meicoomon's random dragon evolution to mirror Holydramon. ;P

Digimon World: Next Order is getting a PS4 release in Japan called the "International Edition". It's good that Japanese players will get access to the improved version, but I imagine that this means the Vita version won't be getting any updates.

Edit: The new website says the Vita version will get the 12 new Digimon.

Lynx_7

How is Applimon doing in Japan? Is it getting good ratings, word of mouth and all that or is it too early to tell?

Also, now that the we know for sure what the NX (gonna take a while before I Switch the names around) is and that it's confirmed for March 2017, I expect Vita support to drop fast. No use making games for a platform with no future, so I guess it's reasonable to expect the next "serious" Digimon game to be on PS4/Switch, which should bring some nice visual improvements like we're seeing with the PS4 port of Next Order. I imagine that's going to be the norm in Japan from now on.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
AppliMon ep 4.

Now THERE'S something you don't see every day: a Halloween anime episode! For the longest time, I actually wondered if people in Japan even celebrated Halloween, due to hearing so little about it there. You know about things like Valentines'/White Day, cultural festivals in the summer and at school, and Christmas, but you never hear about Halloween. I think I heard how only a couple anime have even touched on the 'holiday', so it was neat to see it in this AppliMon ep!

Watch Da Birdie

I believe the dress up part is pretty popular recently but Trick-or-Treat isn't really done...

I recall seeing official Digimon Adventure art though long ago that was Halloween themed though.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I believe the dress up part is pretty popular recently but Trick-or-Treat isn't really done...

I recall seeing official Digimon Adventure art though long ago that was Halloween themed though.

Yeah I've definitely seen a lot of Halloween-themed art, before. I figured that it was a newer thing they were getting to, and I only thought it was more as a cosplay party. Surprised that they actual did a sort of "trick-or-treat" in the episode.

Man, I wish there was more discussion about Appmon here. This thread pretty much dies until the next Tri movie.

Anyway, I'm excited for next week's episode. I love Gatchmon, but I want to see the other Appmon and their partners.

Appmon really has been fantastic. I think Episode 4 was one of the best yet, between Cameramon being awesome, seeing Haru and Gatchmon on their own, just how cute Gatchmon in his costume was going trick or treating, and the whole resolution to the conflict. And the scenes where Haru was on the run were surprisingly well done and tense, particularly as he realized that almost everything could be a camera.

And that ending really makes me want to see what comes next. But first up, we finally get to meet Eri. I'm looking forward to that.

Missed this when it first came up. Glad that I'll be able to have those new Digimon and not need to double dip or anything.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I wish there was more discussion about Appmon here. This thread pretty much dies until the next Tri movie.

None of the other places I visit online (haven't gone to WtW since it opened :x) discuss it, so I'll still be using this as my designated weekly discussion (or at least whenever the next subs go up). So I'll try and make it more active! There's still.... a couple of us in here.

I'm also re-watching Tri Movie 3. So much feels! Geeze the wait for the next movie...

Top Bottom