• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Community Thread |OT| For all the Digidestined on GAF

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
After finally finishing Re:Digitize... yeah no, I still think World 1 is better than that as far as integrating the virtual pet aspect and well, the general game. Yeah it has better stuff like easier stat tracking and mon recording, but man everything else it feels watered down.

I haven't seen much of Xros Wars so I can't really comment on it. Adventure to Savers though? Yes.

I disagree, 02 overall is worse than Frontier.

After finally finishing Re:Digitize... yeah no, I still think World 1 is better than that as far as integrating the virtual pet aspect and well, the general game. Yeah it has better stuff like easier stat tracking and mon recording, but man everything else it feels watered down.

I disagree, 02 overall is worse than Frontier.

Overall I agree. The first half of Frontier is pretty good because it has really good development of the digidestined. The final arc though with the two Royal Knights was awful and worse than the worst parts of 02.

Cyber Sleuth has put me in a Digimon mood. I don't know if I'm ready to finish the slow, uninspired slog known as Digimon Frontier (I'm at like episode 31 or so) but I guess I'll check out Digimon Tri, even though the impressions from some of my Digimon fans friends has been quite mixed.
Tri (at least the first two parts) suffers from "all flavor, no substance" at some points. If you're in it to see the characters again and the random things they do, then it's fine, but if you're in it for plot or actual development, be prepared to wait.

It's too bad Next Order seems to be continuing in that direction. I'll probably like it (I liked Re: Digitize despite it's short-comings), but I really want something more like World 1 again.

Boss Doggie

I always summarize tri as "at the end of the day, it's just a nostalgia cashgrab with mediocre to poorly drawn animation and artstyle". That's what they're doing with all the revelations of "reset" and the Dark Masters returning - aping on the noteworthy things Adventure did.

Wazzy

Banned
Okay this was by far the best chapter for Tri. The show was kind of dull but this hit all the emotional moments perfectly and we're finally getting somewhere with the storyline.

As for part 4 poster...
RETCON MattxSora plz and thank you.
I also really hope we get some
02 cast in next part as it's really weird having them be hinted at but not shown except for Ken.

Part 3 was the first one they really got the pacing right. Part 1 started slow but it was kind of expected because they were reintroducing everyone. Part 2 started really slow and about half of this movie was basically filler that added nothing. Part 3 is where they finally got it right, especially the drama which was awful except for the Joe and Mimi scene in 2.

Syntsui

I for one enjoyed the slow pace of the first two movies, it's been more than a decade since we've had a great Digimon anime (even though it will be so short) that I really can't complain about anything.

Just saw the third part and oh my god, the feels... I just couldn't take it, can't wait for the next one.

Lynx_7

I'm interested on trying Re:Digitize but I don't have a PSP. They're working on a 3DS translation, right? I might give it a try whenever they finish it. My only gripe with what I've seen of those current Digimon games, and going by my own experience with Cyber Sleuth, is that they have too much otaku pandering. Scantily dressed waifus, super tropey characters, a general otaku anime vibe to their presentation. That's just not what I associate Digimon with and it's sad to see the franchise leaning in that direction. I remember World 1 having a pretty cool, mysterious atmosphere that fit the franchise a lot better. Hell, remove all the more aggravating stuff from Cyber Sleuth and it'd fit in perfectly with the tone set by Bokura no War too.

I should probably give the PS1 games another shot. Last time I played World 1, 2 and 3 I couldn't even understand English and never got very far in any of them. 1 was cryptic as hell, 2 had the whole limited steps thing which I couldn't quite grasp at the time, and on 3 I just hit a roadblock and didn't know how to progress (I also remember it being quite hard for my 10 year old self). Loved Rumble Arena though.

I'm interested on trying Re:Digitize but I don't have a PSP. They're working on a 3DS translation, right? I might give it a try whenever they finish it. My only gripe with what I've seen of those current Digimon games, and going by my own experience with Cyber Sleuth, is that they have too much otaku pandering. Scantily dressed waifus, super tropey characters, a general otaku anime vibe to their presentation. That's just not what I associate Digimon with and it's sad to see the franchise leaning in that direction. I remember World 1 having a pretty cool, mysterious atmosphere that fit the franchise a lot better. Hell, remove all the more aggravating stuff from Cyber Sleuth and it'd fit in perfectly with the tone set by Bokura no War too.

I should probably give the PS1 games another shot. Last time I played World 1, 2 and 3 I couldn't even understand English and never got very far in any of them. 1 was cryptic as hell, 2 had the whole limited steps thing which I couldn't quite grasp at the time, and on 3 I just hit a roadblock and didn't know how to progress (I also remember it being quite hard for my 10 year old self). Loved Rumble Arena though.

Re digitized is better emulated anyways. There's rumble arena 2 on ps2 as well. Digimon isn't leaning towards otaku culture, it was basically that game alone, the translation only made the problem worse though.

Also, appmon airs next week,very cautious about this digimon universe stuff atm.

Lynx_7

Re digitized is better emulated anyways. There's rumble arena 2 on ps2 as well. Digimon isn't leaning towards otaku culture, it was basically that game alone, the translation only made the problem worse though.

I can believe that the other games are better on that front than Cyber Sleuth, but you gotta admit that there's a big leap in aesthetic from something like this
01200000031299134373752827842.jpg

Digimon_Tamers_box_set.jpg
to this
Come on, we all know which kind of audience they were targeting with that green haired chick. :p
Even Savers, which is a big departure in therms of looks from Frontier, Tamers and Adventures, still retains a general aesthetic that doesn't feel too out of place for Digimon. It's not a big deal when the games are good and tbf I'm mostly used to it at this point, it's just that I'd prefer a Bokura no War or Digimon Tri-esque look for the games. Would make it easier for me to recommend them to other people too.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I can believe that the other games are better on that front than Cyber Sleuth, but you gotta admit that there's a big leap in aesthetic from something like this

to this

Come on, we all know which kind of audience they were targeting with that green haired chick. :p
Even Savers, which is a big departure in therms of looks from Frontier, Tamers and Adventures, still retains a general aesthetic that doesn't feel too out of place for Digimon. It's not a big deal when the games are good and tbf I'm mostly used to it at this point, it's just that I'd prefer a Bokura no War or Digimon Tri-esque look for the games. Would make it easier for me to recommend them to other people too.

They know that their audience has grown up, though. Using a different art person too, and yeah you'll come out with different things than just "it's a kids show featuring 10 year olds, so make them where kid's clothes". That artist does similar styles in Devil Survivor already, so this isn't new, and they aren't children in it, either.

yami4ct

The 'otaku-ness' and fan service isn't even the worst part of Yasuda's art. Dude is a bane on the anime and japanese video game industry.

Lynx_7

They know that their audience has grown up, though. Using a different art person too, and yeah you'll come out with different things than just "it's a kids show featuring 10 year olds, so make them where kid's clothes". That artist does similar styles in Devil Survivor already, so this isn't new, and they aren't children in it, either.

You're missing the point. I'm not arguing they should be children or sticking to an identical artstyle to those found in the first 4 series, I even complimented Savers on that front. Digimon Tri also has a grown up visual style but done more tastefully in a way that wouldn't alienate the casual portion of the fanbase, so that's not a good excuse for the fanservicey designs of the modern games. I generally like Yasuda's designs for DeSu (he's no Doi or Soejima, but it's ok), though that also has its fair share of characters I'm not a fan of. To be fair,Next Order seems much better on that front and I still like Cyber Sleuth's visuals all things considered, it has somewhat of a Summer Wars flair to it that I really appreciate in its environmental design, my problem lies specifically within a certain subset of its characters. It's a matter of personal preference and not a big deal as far as the overall quality of the products are concerned, but it is what it is. I guess I should also clarify that I have no problem with designs like, say, the female protagonist of Cyber Sleuth. She's using a mini-skirt and it looks fine, like something a girl in her world would use in everyday life. It fits. Nokia on the other hand seems like she was ripped straight out of a hentai doujinshi. Showing skin or cleavage is fine, it's only the more fetishistic designs that look almost comically exaggerated and is only there to pander to horny otaku that feels out of place. Like, Kyoko looks legit like she's about to strip when you first meet her.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Nokia on the other hand seems like she was ripped straight out of a hentai doujinshi. Showing skin or cleavage is fine, it's only the more fetishistic designs that look almost comically exaggerated and is only there to pander to horny otaku that feels out of place. Like, Kyoko looks legit like she's about to strip when you first meet her.

I had to look up the characters, but I don't find them that bad, or even "fetishy" at all. I just don't let character designs get in the way of a game, or look too much into their designs, even if it is Digimon. I do really like Yasuda's art, though.

to this

I was arguing about the game as a whole rather than just the designs. Yeah I think his designs look cool but are way too weeby & they don't fit digimon at all, some designs like kyokos & Nokia's are impractical as well. That pink haired girl wasn't too bad in game, but I totally forgot about the decode protagonist. Cyber sleuth definitely went overboard though. I guess it's become the norm with jrpgs so I tend to ignore it, I've been playing God eater recently and that has ridiculous designs as well.

Next doesn't seem to be too bad though, I remember that numemon girl looking weird though.

Lynx_7

That pink haired girl wasn't too bad in game, but I totally forgot about the decode protagonist. Cyber sleuth definitely went overboard though. I guess it's become the norm with jrpgs so I tend to ignore it, I've been playing God eater recently and that has ridiculous designs as well.
I also don't pay much attention to it by now, it comes with the territory. In my mind Digimon should be closer to Ni No Kuni than to Neptunia, but I digress.
Speaking of Next, I really hope it doesn't release too close to Nier Automata and Persona. The beginning of next year is already stacked as it is and I'd like to give the monster raising Digimon games a shot.

Is the third Digimon Tri episode already available? I can only seem to find the first two.
Also, is Xros Wars worth a shot?

I also don't pay much attention to it by now, it comes with the territory. In my mind Digimon should be closer to Ni No Kuni than to Neptunia, but I digress.

Speaking of Next, I really hope it doesn't release too close to Nier Automata and Persona. The beginning of next year is already stacked as it is and I'd like to give the monster raising Digimon games a shot.

Is the third Digimon Tri episode already available? I can only seem to find the first two.
Yes, it's available.

I just watched the third set of Tri episodes under the belief that they were the final episodes. Naturally, I was left distraught at the end. I don't know why I didn't know there were 3 more movies.

The final two episodes finally felt like they got some of the pacing right, which now that I know they have considerably more time doesn't feel like they've wasted so much.

Yeah I agree Digimon works better when it's more ni no kuni(to be fair/full disclosure etc - I haven't played any Neptunia games ), but this was aimed at Japanese teenagers since at the time , the last two Digimon games hadn't been brought over due to low sales, so localisation probably wasn't considered when making it.
Digimon tri part 3 is available on crunchy roll premium officially and less officially on other anime streaming websites. It'll take a month before its free on crunchyroll. Xross wars is aimed at children(whereas I'd argue ni no kuni was aimed at bot hadults&children - it's not an easy game) and is very messy, the manga does some cool stuff though, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I just watched the third set of Tri episodes under the belief that they were the final episodes. Naturally, I was left distraught at the end. I don't know why I didn't know there were 3 more movies.

The final two episodes finally felt like they got some of the pacing right, which now that I know they have considerably more time doesn't feel like they've wasted so much.

Well there's not much slice of life /human stuff they can do
in the digital world
& yeah the wait is going to be killer this time around.

Lynx_7

Yeah I agree Digimon works better when it's more ni no kuni(to be fair/full disclosure etc - I haven't played any Neptunia games ), but this was aimed at Japanese teenagers since at the time , the last two Digimon games hadn't been brought over due to low sales, so localisation probably wasn't considered when making it.
Digimon tri part 3 is available on crunchy roll premium officially and less officially on other anime streaming websites. It'll take a month before its free on crunchyroll. Xross wars is aimed at children(whereas I'd argue ni no kuni was aimed at bot hadults&children - it's not an easy game) and is very messy, the manga does some cool stuff though, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Hmm, I remember hearing that the Aku General whatsitsname season was supposedly pretty good, but I also heard the one with the crossover was terrible. If it's that much of a mixed bag then I probably won't bother, I don't have much free time nowadays so it's better not to spend what little time I do have on a messy anime.

I just watched the first episode of Tri and I liked it. It was actually much better than I was expecting from modern Toei! Funnily enough, I enjoyed the slower, slice of life bits more than the action scenes which were fairly average.
It's just so good to be able to see these characters interact with each other again and see how they've changed. Takeru is such a player now lol. Koujirou being Mimi's new shiptease when that used to be Jou is... Unexpected. Digimon 1 sure loves its baits and switches when it comes to pairings. Not that I'm complaining, people don't stay in love with the same person forever, so it's actually refreshing to see an anime that handles this kind of thing more realistically. But when the hell did Tai become such a little whiner? You fought a goddamn Venommyotismon in the middle of Tokyo and now you're concerned about public damage because of a few Kuwagamon? His conflict felt so contrived and forced, just didn't make any sense to me. Besides that little conundrum, I was pleasantly surprised with how well they handled the cast. Glasses girl felt tacked in though and I suspect she's just gonna be Tai's consolation prize for when Sora inevitably chooses Yamato. Hope the writters prove me wrong.
Shame Jou got the short end of the stick, it's almost like they don't know what to do with the guy.

Hmm, I remember hearing that the Aku General whatsitsname season was supposedly pretty good, but I also heard the one with the crossover was terrible. If it's that much of a mixed bag then I probably won't bother, I don't have much free time nowadays so it's better not to spend what little time I do have on a messy anime.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend it, there's some people that enjoyed it though, the corssover at the end of the last season is pretty cool though, I'd say watch that and maybe the first episode to get acquainted with the main char/partner , I watched a couple epsiodes of that season (it was waaay worse than Digimon Fusion - or I just didn't have it in me to watch more Fusion idk) and skipped to the end and it was fine. Also, the manga has crossovers with other Digimon seasons from a certain chapter which are cool for similar reasons.

I just watched the first episode of Tri and I liked it. It was actually much better than I was expecting from modern Toei! Funnily enough, I enjoyed the slower, slice of life bits more than the action scenes which were fairly average.
It's just so good to be able to see these characters interact with each other again and see how they've changed. Takeru is such a player now lol. Koujirou being Mimi's new shiptease when that used to be Jou is... Unexpected. Digimon 1 sure loves its baits and switches when it comes to pairings. Not that I'm complaining, people don't stay in love with the same person forever, so it's actually refreshing to see an anime that handles this kind of thing more realistically. But when the hell did Tai become such a little whiner? You fought a goddamn Venommyotismon in the middle of Tokyo and now you're concerned about public damage because of a few Kuwagamon? His conflict felt so contrived and forced, just didn't make any sense to me. Besides that little conundrum, I was pleasantly surprised with how well they handled the cast. Glasses girl felt tacked in though and I suspect she's just gonna be Tai's consolation prize for when Sora inevitably chooses Yamato. Hope the writters prove me wrong.
Shame Jou got the short end of the stick, it's almost like they don't know what to do with the guy.

I don't want to spoil anything by discussing Tri , so I'll say watch up to part 3 which as you can probably see most people are saying is the best so far, literally everyone has/had the same questions you did in part 1,again I don't want to give anything away by confirming or not confirming/hinting etc. They went with the it's not always doom & gloom with the first movie to show these kids actually enjoy themselves which was a great throwback/re-introduction to them imo.
As for the shipping, they're playing with people's hearts with these movies lol. So many little jabs.

Also, for anybody who's read up on decoded, is there actual story for why Lily from Tekken is in it or is it just filler?

Boss Doggie

Well, the nostalgic, paying audience they want to make money with. Which is actually the definition of most otaku-based markets.

Very, very much. It's Digimon trying something different. Also has the best Digimon protagonist and posse.

Lynx_7

I'm starting to see the reason behind some of the mixed comments I've read about Tri. Episode 2 was still entertaining and gave me more of what I liked about the first one, which was hanging out with the digidestined and getting reacquainted with them, but the whole thing was just kind of a mess as far as plot is concerned. The character drama in this series just sounds so unconvincing to me, like they just put it there as an excuse to create conflict without giving it much thought or closure. Tai's character still makes no sense and the only reason behind his hesitation so far is so we can have more bickering between him and Yamato. Mimi's "problem" is just kind of brushed off and that's that. Joe's conflict feels like the only justified one yet, being the most convincing and relatable of the bunch, but then it's resolved by Kairi literally just going "why? Because who gives a shit. Now go help Gomamon or whatever". The mega evolutions also felt unearned. Tai and Yamato must be feeling silly right now having had to receive two angel arrows and hold hands to achieve megas while Mimi and Joe can do it no probs by just screaming a little bit because the plot demands it. And then at the end of the episode you have Leomon's laziest death ever. Somewhere, Tamers Leomon sheds a single tear. "Loli saber cats? What the hell happened, fam?", he ponders.

Since we're doing the whole evolution thing again I wonder if HolyAngemon is gonna evolve at the last 10 minutes of the very last movie and save everyone's ass just to keep up with tradition. Takeru is Adventures' John Cena after all.

TL;DR: I enjoyed Tri part 2 and thought it was pretty fun. I also thought it was all over the place and less well put together than part 1. Here's hoping part 3 picks it up again.

Anyone know how much this earned over the weekend in Japan? Was it on par with the previous two OVAs?

We got some numbers today/yesterday.
The film's first weekend gross from Saturday and Sunday was 44 million yen, which was slightly down from the second part's 46 million yen, while the first part made 59 million yen. The total box office gross of the first part was 230 million yen and that of the second was 160 million yen. Judging from the decline, the third part is expected to end its domestic run with around 120-130 million yen.

-from Crunchyroll

Had a drinking party with my fellow teachers last night but couldn't resist waking up early to catch the first episode of AppliMonsters this morning on TV. It was pretty entertaining -- excited to see where the series goes from here.

Had a drinking party with my fellow teachers last night but couldn't resist waking up early to catch the first episode of AppliMonsters this morning on TV. It was pretty entertaining -- excited to see where the series goes from here.

Hope it's good. With all of the anniversary stuff, I kind of just want something new.

Speaking of Appmon, the website's encyclopedia has been updated recently (only had Gatchmon previously). I don't think it's all of them, but if people want to see more designs they can look there.

It's nice to see "over-the-top" is still very present in Digimon design.
q5XU3kU.png

I'm surprised no one picked it up for streaming. No subs or anything yet, either.

Hopefully at least one of those things will change soon.

This is our first new Digimon anime in over 4 years, so I'm pretty excited.

I'm just going to watch the first episode in Japanese, but hopefully we'll get subs soon enough. I'd really hope that Crunchyroll would pick the show up.

Cross posting from the anime thread:

Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters 1:

This is basically all I could have asked for from this show. I was kind of worried to begin with. I thought it was going to be some sort of show that was not "for" me, or that it just wouldn't connect, but I thought this was a fantastic episode. The staff got what the soul of Digimon was, but it was also a completely new thing. I get what they were talking about now about discarding the past, but it still very much feels like Digimon, and I think this an interesting direction to take the series in.

Haru is a very non-traditional protagonist (a point that they hammer home quite frequently) by Digimon standards, but he's quite likable. And I like that he's not the typical athletic protagonist. The real star, though, is Gatchmon, who just excels in every single scene. The two of them together make quite the pair. I'm looking forward to seeing where their journey takes them. The supporting cast haven't really been introduced yet, but there seems to be a lot to look forward to on that front as well.

While the animation was nothing spectacular (although there were a few good cuts mixed in here and there), there were some very nice bits of storyboarding here and there throughout the episode. This isn't really going to be a show that's considered a visual treat or anything, but it at least seems like there's some talented people who actually give a shit working on the episode. Scenes like Haru finding the Applidriver and the conversation with him and Gatchmon in his bedroom were a lot more interesting than they otherwise would have been due to some creative choices in how the scenes were framed, and the AR Field scenes looked quite nice. They had a lot of the visual creativity that Digimon Frontier had.

The new composer really did a good job, too. While he has some big shoes to fill, particularly in comparison to the late Takanori Arisawa, I think this was a good first showing, with several scenes that were really enhanced by the music. Overall, I think the whole staff should be really proud of this premier. It had great energy, it set the premise up really well, and there's a lot of promise for some interesting stories going forward, especially with that final scene. I can't wait to see where the show goes next.

Boss Doggie

I'm not really Applimon, the base forms are same-looking but was hoping the evos would be a bit better, but they feel lackluster.

Also Gatchmon really screams of aping Shoutmon.

Just rewatched Digimon Tri part 3. I got a little misty eyed the first time watching it, but I started crying watching it the second time because of one scene. In the 3rd episode
when it's showing everyone with their Digimon one last time, TK is on the floor crying holding onto Patamon because he knows what's going to eventually happened. It reminded of when we put our cat to sleep a few months ago that we had since I was 3. I hated doing it but I knew deep down it was the right decision.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Oh nice one group is interest in subbing Appli-

Made in about 3 and a half hours by someone who's never subbed before. Don't expect episode 2, this was hell.

Oh that's right. There's only like 5 subbing groups that even exist anymore, because everyone just rips from Crunchy and stuff now, and doesn't actually do the work themselves :/

I have to admit, this new Digimon reminds me a lot of Megaman EXE/Battle Network/NT Warrior.

Pretty good so far, and radically different from previous entries since we're not dealing with the classic digital monsters anymore, but monsters from everyday mobile apps, which makes the whole thing fresh.

Lynx_7

I have to admit, this new Digimon reminds me a lot of Megaman EXE/Battle Network/NT Warrior.

Pretty good so far, and radically different from previous entries since we're not dealing with the classic digital monsters anymore, but monsters from everyday mobile apps, which makes the whole thing fresh.

So it's Digimon's Unova equivalent? Sounds interesting on paper but I'll wait for more episodes and impressions before jumping in.

Very, very much. It's Digimon trying something different. Also has the best Digimon protagonist and posse.
Guess I'll give it the 3 episodes test drive and if I like what I see I'll keep going.

Zubz

Banned
Saw this on With the Will. Digimon World: Next Order Vita vs PS4 comparison from a Chinese article.

Jg04EbE.jpg

If this is accurate (I don't know how trustworthy the source is), the Decode comparison might actually be more than just words.

Vita stays losing Man, that's a big leap! I've barely looked into the original because I want to be surprised, but I'm happy to know they're putting a lot of time and energy into Next Order.

My favorite thing about that image is the cool details added to the bridge.

The near side is wooden while the far side is more modern. The middle is in an unfinished digital-ish state. If I had to guess, this is a transition to another area. It certainly adds a lot more flavor to a previously drabber-looking place.

Top Bottom