• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

aravuus

Damn, PlatNumemons take 16 memory? I'll still grind the chapter 4 side quest dungeon until I have 3 of them, but it looks like I gotta wait a bit until I'll be able to use a full party of them.

Most questionable design and localization decisions in this series happened back when Digimon was actually meant for children, really - the 'mon' naming 'suffix' (it's still the butt of jokes now, but I'd totally see it working as a ".mon" file-type extension thing), the evolution scheme (both the naming and the number of evolution levels), dozens of bizarre name changes that make no sense (remember when certain characters in 02 from English-speaking countries got their names changed, such as Sam to Phil and Wallace to Willis? Yeah, that was dumb as hell).

Mon suffix? Don't you mean the Digi prefix? Cause that's the one I noticed they put in everything. For example "Chosen Children" -> "Digi-destined".

Granted, it didn't stop being that way till recently, despite certain series pushing it (Tamers, Savers). It's partly why I think Digimon should be retooled sensibly for the new direction Cyber Sleuth seems to taking it, since Pokemon and Yokai Watch already have the kids audience for the genre locked down tight. Wiping the slate clean and tossing most of the localization changes that occurred over the past couple of decades would be a good start, and keep certain human name changes as nicknames to appease the fans, since they were already doing that with the Adventure cast anyway.

Nostalgia is a helluva thing. I don't know if they could change some of these things even if they wanted to. Nor would it make much difference.

grimmiq

So training counts for stats concerning evolution, but equipment doesn't?

Hopefully this set of training gives me 29SP, then I'll have Lilithmon ready to level.

I don't think this game is appropriate for a child. There's a lot of fucked up stuff so far.

There's 1 boss fight later on (I think the middle of the game)
with a young girl strapped to the front with a tentacles holding her legs, arms bound and a ball gag in her mouth

silva1991

So training counts for stats concerning evolution, but equipment doesn't?

Hopefully this set of training gives me 29SP, then I'll have Lilithmon ready to level.

with a young girl strapped to the front with a tentacles holding her legs, arms bound and a ball gag in her mouth

yeah that boss was disturbing and somehow reminded me of shadow Chie.

True Fire

I just downloaded the 1.03 patch.

Btw, has anyone actually shown this gameto a child? I bet they would love it.

Hopefully an overprotective mother buys this game for Little Jimmy and goes to the mainstream media after a "certain" questionable boss fight.

This game needs all of the attention it can get.

aravuus

where did you get it?

Digivolved it. PlatSukamon (@ lvl 26 with 75 Max SP, 75 DEF, 65 SPD) -> Etemon (lvl 65, 10 ABI) -> PlatinumNumemon. Raising PlatSukamon to 26 takes only a couple of battles in the Haguromon dungeon, but getting Etemon to level 65 takes around a couple of hours, so it is a bit time-consuming. Takes 3 battles to level him up when he's lvl60+.

Lol

e: Man I cannot handle how edgy some of these digimon designs are. I do remember finding many of them cool when I was younger, so I guess they do their job tho.

e: Man I cannot handle how edgy some of these digimon designs are. I do remember finding many of them cool when I was younger, so I guess they do their job tho.

85Q0bkX.jpg

The designs actually mostly got less edgy since they changed the art style for the mons changed from early on. Though recently there's more fanservicey designs.

Mon suffix? Don't you mean the Digi prefix? Cause that's the one I noticed they put in everything. For example "Chosen Children" -> "Digi-destined".

Eh, both, I'd say. Though there's that one instance where the localizers went the other way for some reason, with "Digisoul" -> "D.N.A (Digimon Natural Ability)", though I guess it's because of the 'soul' part that the localization team wanted to avoid like the plague (Savers/Data Squad was being localized under the watch of Disney at the time, hence why the whole BomberNanimon getting turned into a massive Bobobo reference just so it would pass the censors, and even then the director had to fight so the episode would even air).

Nostalgia is a helluva thing. I don't know if they could change some of these things even if they wanted to. Nor would it make much difference.

They could probably easily get away with reverting some of the more ridiculous changes (Creepymon, King Drasil, etc), and keep human localized names as nicknames, which, again, they already did for the Adventure cast and nobody complained. Some of the more fundamental things might be intractable, but not impossible to change, though who knows how fans might react. Sonic Adventure threw out the entire western Sonic 'canon' (which was basically entirely manufactured by SEGA of America) and only kept 'Ivo Robotnik' as Eggman's real name with Eggman as an alias, but it took a long time for the fanbase to get over it.

silva1991

The hell is that? o.o

Blackgarurogreymon I guess :p

Digivolved it. PlatSukamon (@ lvl 26 with 75 Max SP, 75 DEF, 65 SPD) -> Etemon (lvl 65, 10 ABI) -> PlatinumNumemon. Raising PlatSukamon to 26 takes only a couple of battles in the Haguromon dungeon, but getting Etemon to level 65 takes around a couple of hours, so it is a bit time-consuming. Takes 3 battles to level him up when he's lvl60+.

I have PlatSukamon!

is PlatinumNumemon much better than Sukamon?

kierwynn

Welp, just reached the request dungeon in chp 4. Guess it's time to get to the grind- I was thinking I could just spend a little time in here, but the exp is really good. I hadn't given much thought to what kind of team I wanted to aim for, but I guess I should think about that before I get in too deep.

I didn't think the digivolution system would be this addicting, but I was wrong.

aravuus

Haha goddamn, from the black-and-red color scheme and endless sharp edges to the spikes, red sword with cool foreign characters and a fucking cannon that's apparently loading up to shoot a beam of dark energy, this one has it all

It transcends the edge and reaches a whole new universe of edgyness

It's so edgy, it can probably cut reality itself

I have PlatSukamon!

is PlatinumNumemon much better than Sukamon?

Hard to say, really. Going by their lvl 99 base stats, it looks like Numemon isn't THAT much better:
Lvl 99 PlatSukamon
HP: 2020
SP: 152
ATK: 123
INT: 123
DEF: 202
SPD: 118

Lvl99 PlatNumemon
HP: 2470
SP: 186
ATK: 138
INT: 153
DEF: 242
SPD: 159

In addition to the skills inherited from the earlier digimons in the evolution branch, it looks like Numemon only gets 4 main stat debuff skills (ATK/DEF/INT/SPD -10%, all foes - that's one stat per skill, i.e. Attack Break Field inflicts -10% ATK) which I'm not sure will end up being very useful.

Like I said, it took me an hour or two of grinding to get just one, so I'm not sure if they're actually worth it. Most (all?) enemies so far have been easily taken care of with 3 Sukamons.

e: also, Sukamons can be easily digivolved and de-digivolved at almost any time to bring them back to level 1, which means tons of free HP/SP during grinding.

They could probably easily get away with reverting some of the more ridiculous changes (Creepymon, King Drasil, etc), and keep human localized names as nicknames, which, again, they already did for the Adventure cast and nobody complained. Some of the more fundamental things might be intractable, but not impossible to change, though who knows how fans might react. Sonic Adventure threw out the entire western Sonic 'canon' (which was basically entirely manufactured by SEGA of America) and only kept 'Ivo Robotnik' as Eggman's real name with Eggman as an alias, but it took a long time for the fanbase to get over it.

I'd say there's no other way about it. If they really intend to continue targeting Digimon at older fans, they need to do away with all of these silly legacy changes that were made when the show was getting one of the most incompetent dubs ever produced. There wasn't even much point for some of these changes when kids were the target audience; there's no point with adults being a key target audience. Particularly if they intend to draw in new fans, as is the stated goal of the modern games.

I'd say there's no other way about it. If they really intend to continue targeting Digimon at older fans, they need to do away with all of these silly legacy changes that were made when the show was getting one of the most incompetent dubs ever produced. There wasn't even much point for some of these changes when kids were the target audience; there's no point with adults being a key target audience. Particularly if they intend to draw in new fans, as is the stated goal of the modern games.

I remember I saw an article where they comment about the possibility of a Cyber Sleuth Anime depending on reception.

I'm trying to dig it up now.

EDIT:

Are there plans to expand Cyber Sleuth into anime and toys and translated manga in North America, or will it remain just a video game?

If the English version get rated really well, we would like to make toys and animation based on this narrative and world. But the first is to see if we can be successful in North America!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-x-button/2015-11-19/one-sleuth-prevails/.95538 (have to scroll down)

silva1991

Paildramon get!!

he evolves to imperialmon right?

Hard to say, really. Going by their lvl 99 base stats, it looks like Numemon isn't THAT much better:
Lvl 99 PlatSukamon
HP: 2020
SP: 152
ATK: 123
INT: 123
DEF: 202
SPD: 118

Lvl99 PlatNumemon
HP: 2470
SP: 186
ATK: 138
INT: 153
DEF: 242
SPD: 159

In addition to the skills inherited from the earlier digimons in the evolution branch, it looks like Numemon only gets 4 main stat debuff skills (ATK/DEF/INT/SPD -10%, all foes - that's one stat per skill, i.e. Attack Break Field inflicts -10% ATK) which I'm not sure will end up being very useful.

Like I said, it took me an hour or two of grinding to get just one, so I'm not sure if they're actually worth it. Most (all?) enemies so far have been easily taken care of with 3 Sukamons.

My bad sorry

I was referring to the exp bonus they give not the stats

since PlatNumemon is a higher level digimon I'm sure he gives more exp bonus than Sukamon.

Lexxism

Paildramon get!!

he evolves to imperialmon right?
Yeah. Btw, what does "CAM 100% Stingmon is your friend" mean? I already have ExVeemon with 100% CAM and wormmon almost 100%. Once I got a stingmon with 100% CAM, it will digivolve to Paildramon?
it increases the amount of ABI gained. Although, as the max level gets higher and higher, it becomes not worth it i think.
Ah, pretty much. Thanks

aravuus

My bad sorry

I was referring to the exp bonus they give not the stats

since PlatNumemon is a higher level digimon I'm sure he gives more exp bonus than Sukamon.

Ahh of course lol

Nah, it looks like they both give the same bonus (2x with one, 3x with two and 4x with full party)

silva1991

Yeah. Btw, what does "CAM 100% Stingmon is your friend" mean? I already have ExVeemon with 100% CAM and wormmon almost 100%. Once I got a stingmon with 100% CAM, it will digivolve to Paildramon?

It means both stingmon and exVeemoon should have 100% CAM

actually all digimons should have 100% CAM when it comes to DNA evolution from what I can see.

Yeah, if Bandai actually wants to get serious about revitalizing the series for a new audience, they're gonna have to ignore the fans who will trump nostalgia over sense and wipe the slate clean.

I remember I saw an article where they offhandedly comment about the possibility of a Cyber Sleuth Anime depending on reception.

I'm trying to dig it up now.

Considering this game's localization is very likely exceeding Bandai's sales expectations by a healthy margin, the possibility of such stuff occurring has increased, I think.

Voror

The best is UlforceVeedramon. His Support Skill allows your team to go first and was a stable for the tougher fights during the Japanese release iirc.

Neat, I'll definitely work towards that one as I get to the end of the game. I remember seeing a video of a battle against
Lucemon in his various forms that seemed really hard and I noticed they had him along with some like MarineAngemon and Mastemon

Thank you. Currently working towards those PlatSukemons so thank you for reporting about their usefulness.

Stuart444

Thanks.

Also, I'm trying to get Frigimon to Angewoman who needs 100 INT and 75 SP. Am I supposed to leave him in the farm with a lively leader to bump his SP, and then change to a brainy leader for the INT? I'm not really sure how stat growth and ABI work across de- and digivolutons.

It's faster to just grind him I'd say. Grind his level up, de-digivolve him and grind him to an even higher level.

But in terms of farm stuff, remember the stats gained from the Digifarm is based on how much ABI you have.

(ABI / 2) + 50 = how many bonus points you're allowed in total.

So with that Pic, Frigimon could split 72 bonus points between his SP and INT if you chose to.

That said based on his current stats, grinding him up to about 30 - 50ish should get his SP and INT to the needed stats for Angewomon.

On Average from what I've seen, many stats go up by 2 or 3 so both your SP and INT will probably be at the right level by level 35. And Angewomon needs to be level 30+ as a requirement anyway. So might as well grind the levels out before using the Digifarm.

(I know I'm late to reply and thus this advice may be out of date but I went to bed shortly after my last response)

Neat, I'll definitely work towards that one as I get to the end of the game. I remember seeing a video of a battle against
Lucemon in his various forms that seemed really hard and I noticed they had him along with some like MarineAngemon and Mastemon

Thank you. Currently working towards those PlatSukemons so thank you for reporting about their usefulness.

Glad to be of help. And as to
Lucemon. His first form is easy because I just used Lilithmon's Phantom Pain AFTER using PlatSukamon's Character Reversal and it hit him for MAX dmg (literally) but Chaos Mode DESTROYED me. Mercilessly. ;_;

Stuart444

Most name changes I'm fine with mostly but stuff like Creepymon (which was actually originally localized as Daemon in Adventure 02 so why the hell they changed it I don't know.) is urgh to me. Also King Drasil, is that Yggdrasil in Digimon Savers dub? (most of those names changes I didn't like (only saw the first 15 eps of the dub) but I didn't mind the dub itself funnily enough) If so, that's annoying as well, just because it's a great reference that's been in many localized things (including certain Bamco games).

But yeah, most of the name changes I'm fine with but there is defo a few that bug me to this day, especially ones that were re-localized like Daemon to Creepymon.

I do find it interesting how Toei is doing it via the Tri website info, the human characters names are the original ones but the Digimon uses most of the localized names. Like Gatomon and Biyomon.

Then again, none of the main cast in Adventure ever had name changes that bother me and I freely switch between EN and JP names depending on who I' talking to or what version of the series I'm talking about (EN names for EN version, same with JP for JP lol)

Oh wait actually, one name changed bothered me as soon as I found out about it. Yagami -> Kamiya.

Yagami is just far better and I much much prefer it.

Lore question, how many groups of 'legendary' digimons are there? Off the top of my head we got

- Thirteen Royal Knights
- Seven Demon Lords
- Four Sovereigns
- Four Great Dragons
- Three Archangels

There's also a whole slew of "Godlike" and "King of Beast" type Legendaries...

Lore question, how many groups of 'legendary' digimons are there? Off the top of my head we got

- Thirteen Royal Knights
- Seven Demon Lords
- Four Sovereigns
- Four Great Dragons
- Three Archangels

There's also a whole slew of "Godlike" and "King of Beast" type Legendaries...

The 12 Devas (they serve the Four Holy Beasts)
Olympos XII
The Banchos
10 Legendary Warriors

There's also some other groups like the Big Death Stars (these are essentially the Seven Death Generals minus Apollomon), the Crack Team and the D-Brigade, although I'm not sure how legendary those are.

Stuart444

Looks like a Dark version of Omnimon.

Bingo. It's Omegamon (Omnimon) Zwart (and I think this specific artwork was for Next Order)

While both give the same exp boost, PlatNumemon has an extra slot. This means he can hold 3 Tactician USBs, instead of only 2. This increases your exp gain even further.

That and 3 PlatNumemon's means you can have 3 Mega virus Digimon fighting for you giving lots of delicious EXP gain.

It's nothing to worry about until the last half of the game though imo.

The 12 Devas (they serve the Four Holy Beasts)
Olympos XII
The Banchos
10 Legendary Warriors

There's also some other groups like the Big Death Stars (these are essentially the Seven Death Generals minus Apollomon), the Crack Team and the D-Brigade, although I'm not sure how legendary those are.

Oh wow, the Banchos are a group an not just a mode? @_@

The Legendary Warriors are from Frontiers right?

Also, how many God tier Evil Digimons are there? I found ZeedMillenniummon and UltimateKhaosmon so far.

Bingo. It's Omegamon (Omnimon) Zwart (and I think this specific artwork was for Next Order)

I don't think it's Zwart, Zwart is just black version Omegamon.

But it should be another version of Omega.

Stuart444

It's not.

The Executor is something new. Omegamon Zwart is still in Next Order.

Really? I was sure it was. Oh well lol.

Maybe it's a Mode Change of Omegamon Zwart? hahaha. :p (it does look like him :p )

edit: Looking at it, you can see the places where the Garuru Cannon would be so yeah, it's like a twisted version of Omegamon Zwart to me.

How long is this game?

30 - 40+ hours. The more you enjoy grinding and digivolving the more time you'll get out of it.

NEO0MJ

Is it a waste of time grinding at the start to get Tsunomon's scan rate to 200%? Also, how do we raise the stats of pokemon after they reach their max? My Pabumon can't go any higher.

silva1991

While both give the same exp boost, PlatNumemon has an extra slot. This means he can hold 3 Tactician USBs, instead of only 2. This increases your exp gain even further.

I was was actually just about to ask about how many slots he has haha

thanx

that means as soon as I get the other USB's ill get PlatNumemon asap

Top Bottom