• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Beyond Good & Evil 20th Anniversary Edition - PS5/Xbox/Switch Review - A Near Perfect Remaster?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Developer Ubisoft gives its 2003 cult classic some much-needed attention - this time giving its textures and shaders a satisfying overhaul. PS5 and Series X also enjoy a boost to 4K resolution, on the resolution mode, while each run at 1440p on their performance modes. However the Switch release is less assured in its delivery, with expected cutbacks in its visuals - but also dips below the 30fps mark during gameplay - as Tom covers in this DF tech review.

00:00:00 Introduction
00:02:46 Original vs HD Edition vs 20th Anniversary Edition Comparison
00:07:30 PS5/Series X/Series S Frame-Rate Tests
00:10:51 Nintendo Switch vs PS5 Comparison
00:13:08 Switch Frame-Rate Test
00:15:01 Verdict

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
I thought they did a pretty good job. They did not drastically change the textures, which is good.

It still feels like the original just with better lighting and textures.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Upgrades:

- HD release on 360/PS3 had higher resolution and texture improvements back in the day over the original release
- New release has boosted resolution, comes with resolution and performance toggles
- Resolution mode targets 2160p. HUD and in-game assets are also revised
- Ground textures, skybox etc are all replaced. Some elements seem to use AI to up-scale
- Retains original design but sharper
- New specular highlights, geometry and shaders added to compliment character models

PS5/Series:

- All current gen consoles have performance / resolution toggle
- Resolution mode runs at 2160p on PS5/SX
- Resolution mode uses double buffer V-sync so some cut-scenes can drop to 30 fps for a second or two, happens in both cut-scenes and game play.
- 99% locked to 60 otherwise. Applies to both SX and PS5
- Changing to Performance mode drops resolution to 1440p
- Hits 60 FPS most of the time without any issue on PS5/SX
- Series S runs at 1440p in both Resolution and Performance modes
- Same 30 FPS double buffer V-sync drops as PS5/SX and runs in a similar performance profile

Switch:

- Switch: Docked DRS 900p to 1080p. Portable: 720p
- Switch misses out on a lot of texture upgrades from PS/Xbox versions
- Mixed results but generally better than the HD re-release on PS3/360
- Reflections are half resolution compared to PS5//Xbox
- Switch runs at a 30 FPS target but at least has even frame pacing
- Drops heavily under 30 in some points, lowest drop of 11~12 FPS seen in DF testing
- Battles with a large amount of enemies can make segments run at 20 FPS

- The OG Xbox 1 version targeted an unlocked frame rate and reached 60fps in a lot of places, for comparison with Switch not being able to deliver a consistent 30

- DF noted that they ran into a few bugs in their testing including some soft locks.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Going to buy Beyond Good & Evil 20th Anniversary Edition for both XSX and PS5. Whoops, this is not the unboxing video for the game. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Anyway, kinda hate that they're using double buffering instead of triple buffering. Those small dips in frame-rate during certain scenes causing to vsync at 30 is bonkers.

Krathoon

Gold Member
The symbols they use to represent the keyboard keys are confusing. You use capslock to use the camera.

Really, it is better to play it with a XBox One controller. I think it has rumble. Anyone know if it has rumble?

I may start over with a controller.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Of course, I was going to try my PS5 controller on the PC version of the game and it needs an update.

TVexperto

a bit off topic but anybody know the same of the song of the launch trailer of the 20th anniversary collection?

acm2000

just looks like they gave the project to one person who chucked it through AI, no excuses not for locked 60fps 4k resolution.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I have the HD edition on PS3 but this remaster seems to be leagues ahead of that. Think it's too expensive though. Shave off a tenner and we'll talk.

LordCBH

So it’s not just a straight port of the shitty PS3/360 version. I’m actually shocked considering how lazy Ubisoft likes to be.

$20 on Steam. Looks good, I just put it in my Steam Wishlist. Heading to GameStop this afternoon to get some Steam Wallet scratch off codes.
I played it first on PC when it released. Years later got a PS2 version. Never did finish the game on either version.

Top Bottom