• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Dragon's Dogma 2 Patched: Big Improvements - But Is It Fully Fixed?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Dragon's Dogma 2 is now onto Patch 7, promising new graphics options, 120Hz support for PlayStation 5 and much-needed CPU optimisations - but what does that look like in the actual game? Oliver Mackenzie takes a look, finding that the improvements are genuine with most of our suggestions for the game taken onboard to a certain extent - but it's still far from perfect.

00:00 Overview
00:55 Xbox Series X Analysis
05:44 PlayStation 5 Analysis
08:14 Xbox Series S Analysis
09:49 Analysis and conclusion

Last edited:

adamsapple

- Patch 7 adds more visual toggles to the game
- Graphics Quality setting added for Low and High
- Low and High just disable RT and Motion Blur
- Any improvement here will come from RT bein off as motion blur is barely an impact on performance
- 120hz support also added (primarily for LFC on PS5 as the game doesn't really go anywhere close to actual 120fps on any console)

- Series X:
- Launched with checker-boarding issues, this patch makes them much less noticeable
- Artifacts are 'mostly gone' (same on Series S) but resolve can look a bit softer compared to PS5
- RT On performance is give or take the same as the previous patched version in general
- Patch 2 included 30 FPS cap that had bad frame-pacing, which is still the same
- CPU bound areas like Cities receive a decent performance uplift with the update
- No real difference in civilian draw etc noted so DF thinks the improvements are coming from other optimizations
- 120hz mode can sometimes go above 60 when just looking at the sky with RT off
- LFC is enabled on Xbox at all times regardless
- VRR is the best way to play the game thanks to low frame-rate compensation.

PS5:
- Patch 2 reduced PS5's AO coverage which has been fixed now
- Cities see an improvement over patch 2 on PS5 as well, like SX.
- CPU bound areas (cities) can still run around 4.9% faster on PS5
- While GPU bound areas can run up-to 10% faster on Series X
- Frame pacing issues at 30 FPS cap still present like SX
- 120hz mode adds LFC to the PS5 version making it feel smoother than at launch on 120hz displays
- Looking at sky on PS5 with RT off can go just above 60 like SX

Series S:
- Patch 7 improves AO coverage like PS5
- Checker board resolve is a bit softer but artifacts are mostly gone (like Series X)
- Other visual settings are identical to previous patch with no RT present
- Performance wise, GPU bound are mostly identical and CPU bound areas are just a little shy of Series X
- 120hz option present here like the above but never goes above 60
- 30 FPS cap has frame pacing issues like the other versions

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Patch 7 can be described in "Good intentions" but there is still a lot to do. The gaming experience has barely changed.

That said, it is appreciated that they continue working on improving those ugliest details and it seems that they are on the right track.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Patch 7 can be described in "Good intentions" but there is still a lot to do. The gaming experience has barely changed.

That said, it is appreciated that they continue working on improving those ugliest details and it seems that they are on the right track.
The game is 6 months old how long until they drop support? Games receive patches for as long as they make money.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
The game is 6 months old
Nick Young Wtf GIF

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The lower CPU spikes and frame generation make for a pretty good experience on PC now as well.
Have they introduced frame generation in an official way? Or do you still ha e to use a mod to enable it?

Fbh

I tried the demo and was surprised by how smooth the early area felt with RT off.
But looking at this videos it seems later on it still runs like shit, a shame, specially because it looks last gen as fuck too (at least from what I played)

Fbh

Wait I think DF is wrong here.
The graphical setting for High/Low is definitely doing more than just enabling RT and Motion Blur.

I just tested it out in the trial and the game runs notoriously smoother if you set the graphics quality to low VS manually disabling RT and Motion Blur (which makes the graphics mode say "Custom").
I don't have any way of measuring it but on a random empty field the performance with graphics on low feels 60fps ish while the manually disabling RT and Motion Blur doesn't

Last edited:
i'm seriously baffled as to how better, or even flawless, graphics somehow make what's otherwise a mediocre gaming experience 'improved'. as is, with no other major gameplay-related additions/elements, dd2 will always be an over-all disappointment, perfect graphical performance or not...

Last edited:

adamsapple

DF have updated the article with new info.

UPDATE: We're updating this article to correct an error. The low/high settings toggle does more than disabling motion blur and RT. In side-by-side shots on Series X, the game is clearly less detailed and lowerin resolution with the low settings preset enabled, as opposed to the game running with the high settings preset with RT and motion blur disabled. Other visual settings seem to be identical. The game running with the low preset also runs faster than the game set to high with RT and motion blur disabled, at least in GPU-limited areas. The PS5 is similar to Series X with the low preset in image quality.

Similar to other GPU-limited areas of the game, the PS5 runs somewhat slower than Series X with the low preset. We've put together a short video that shows the differences and the performance uplift using the low setting in a GPU-limited scenario.

Top Bottom