• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Halo on Unreal Engine 5 makes it easier to port it for PS5, fueling multiplatform rumors

Draugoth

Gold Member
halo-foundryue5-04-1728258185334.png

Speaking to Eurogamer, Digital Foundry chief Richard Leadbetter said moving to Unreal 5 makes for “easier” multi-platform development than porting across the existing Slipspace engine.

"It stands to reason that an engine designed for deployment across multiple platforms would be easier to work with than existing technology built for Xbox and PC,” Leadbetter said.

Source

LordOfChaos

It's crazy that they spent 6 years between games in large part building the Slipstream engine, only to use it for one entry with apparently zero single player DLC (which was promised as a 10 year game at that) and then moving on.

But I'd be glad to have the next major game on PS5 without needing anything else if that's where this is headed. PS land has a lack of first party AAA shooters imo, Halo would be great here, and hopefully expand its market enough to ensure its future. I really hope the mismanagement of Halo is over.

But also, not really even a "rumour" at all, it's just one guy's pure speculation

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
What a travesty. Take the two Halo characters out of the picture in OP and the frame literally looks like a frame from any other UE5 demo we've seen a million times over. The SlipSpace engine demo was much more appealing, artistically unique, and more faithful to Halo. It looks miles better in all areas that actually matter when it comes to a AAA franchise establishing and maintaining its identity.

LordOfChaos

What a travesty. Take the two Halo characters out of the picture in OP and the frame literally looks like a frame from any other UE5 demo we've seen a million times over. The SlipSpace engine demo was much more appealing, artistically unique, and more faithful to Halo. It looks miles better in all areas that actually matter when it comes to a AAA franchise establishing and maintaining its identity.

This engine demo still makes me sad. Too bad the game didn't really live up to these promises at all. No different biomes, no interesting wild life, not really much interesting ancient caves or whatever to explore

XXL

Well that and the fact....in all media and presentations they released, they never even mentioned Xbox once aside from in the past tense.

Darsxx82

Typical "innocent" article by Tom Philips.... and the worst thing is to involve Rich in his usual clikbait console war.

Xbox currently has a lot of projects using UE5 for years. (Gears E-Day, PerfectDark, Avowed, ProjectMara, SOD 3, SOM, Clockwork REv, EverWild, etc...)

It's funny that the idea he wants to incite is that the change from Halo to UE 5 should be specifically to facilitate a port to PS5 when the reasons go much further and began several years ago.

Halo on PS may well be a reality in the future. But that the change to UE5 is for the sole reason of bringing the franchise to PS is ridiculous. Simply SSengine was outdated, hiring trained developers was very difficult, and upgrading the engine and matching UE5 in capabilities was expensive. Simply 343 has made the same decision and for the same reasons as CDProjekt by abandoning the CRed engine for UE5.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Nothing they develop will be for current gen consoles if they are truly going for a tour de force graphics wise, so neither series consoles or Ps5 will be in the frame.

NextBox and PC will be the target.

PS6 if their NextBox fails to gain traction.

This is not what the game ended up looking like and you know it. Secondly. The foliage in Halo Infinite is trash and it's the one thing that shows up everywhere. The graphics were sub-par, even though I enjoyed the game.

ur right but it was the only way to make the game actually workable for devs cuz of the mess microsoft and 343 made when creating the proprietary engine in the first place

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This is not what the game ended up looking like and you know it. Secondly. The foliage in Halo Infinite is trash and it's the one thing that shows up everywhere. The graphics were sub-par, even though I enjoyed the game.

Pay attention - I am comparing apples to apples with the SlipSpace engine demo vs UE5 engine demo (I hope you don't think they are showing an actual game even after the dev in the video confirmed what you're seeing is a "project" and not a game being worked on). This has nothing to do with what the shipped product looked like on consumer hardware.

Pay attention - I am comparing apples to apples with the SlipSpace engine demo vs UE5 engine demo (I hope you don't think they are showing an actual game even after the dev in the video confirmed what you're seeing is a "project" and not a game being worked on). This has nothing to do with what the shipped product looked like on consumer hardware.
oh sure, it even says it's rendered in UE5 at the bottom, not in-game. Will it look like this on PS5, XSX and XSS? Of course not. Will it look like this on PS5 Pro? Maybe. Will it look like this on PC? I'm sure it will. Not to mention UE5 is incredibly easy to MOD on PC. So i'm super excited.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is a PS6 and next gen xbox game. I doubt they will ship on the series s.

There is no game and whatever they are developing is likely 5 years away.

Save your energy. lots of other things to war about.

Edellus

I guess, but I imagine that if they want to release the next Halo game on Playstation, then they'll also likely want to get the user base hyped about it's continuation. If they'd want to do that, the most logical thing is to port the other games (individually or via collections). In that case they'd have to make their tech resources Playstation compatible either way.

kevboard

There is far more to platform support than a rendering API

on current consoles... there isn't really much more than that no.
these systems are quite literally just laptop PCs built into a fancy case. not only laptop PCs, but Laptop PCs that use the exact same architecture as well

Last edited:

XXL

People who don't think this is coming to PlayStation are in denial.

The last few new announcements (like Gears or Perfect Dark) they haven't even officially announced any platforms or even mentioned exclusivity once.

Halo is a dead franchise, multiplatform won't save it.
20 Million people played Halo Infinite with a net Revenue of $2.8 Billion. While we don't know the profit of that revenue, these (unofficial) numbers in the link prove you're wrong. So wrong, in fact, there is going to be a Halo 7 on Unreal Engine, given all the headlines this morning. Surely, a non-profitable game wouldn't get a sequel, would it? A non-profitable game wouldn't get updates, would it? Yet, new seasons keep coming and they're even adding the E3 2006 demo to MCC. Man, maybe you're right? Maybe this $10 Billion franchise is dead.

What's it like to be so fucking wrong? I'm sure you will turn a blind eye and keep echoing every other Halo nay-sayer. enjoy.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
People who don't think this is coming to PlayStation are in denial.

The last few new announcements (like Gears or Perfect Dark) they haven't even officially announced any platforms or even mentioned exclusivity once.

They haven't announced platform(s) for the same reason the Elder Scrolls VI trailer didn't announce platforms in 2018. It's probably not coming this generation.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
Does it make it easier to port a UE5 game to PS? - Yes
Does this mean Halo is coming to PS? - No
Will Halo come to PS (and other systems) - Most likely yes

They haven't announced platform(s) for the same reason the Elder Scrolls VI trailer didn't announce platforms in 2018. It's probably not coming this generation.
They mention games in the video. I assume the Halo CE remake rumor is true and that Halo 7 will be Next-Gen. But I do believe this shift to UE5 will unleash Halo to PS5 which doesn't matter to me.

Last edited:

XXL

You may be right, but it's still pretty strange regardless.

Is Blade coming this generation?Because it was the first one to not announce platforms and the follow up questions to that were sketchy.

Last edited:

adamsapple

You may be right, but it's still pretty strange regardless.

Is Blade coming this generation?Because it was the first one to not announce platforms and the follow up questions to that were sketchy.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's not this gen, or cross-gen. There's no update on development, release window etc.

It's probably still very early in development.

Last edited:

FlaffySheeby

Neo Member
UE5 doesn't have me super excited or anything, but hey using a universal engine is a good start.
It might make staffing a lot easier too because they don't have to learn your in-house tools they can just be hired on and ready to use UE5, nice.

But the question really is, Halo on Playstation, but it's a timed exclusive for Xbox?

XXL

Wouldn't be surprised if it's not this gen, or cross-gen. There's no update on development, release window etc.

It's probably still very early in development.
Sure, but Indiana Jones announced platforms and then added PS5 before it even released.

There is definitely a pattern emerging here.

adamsapple

Sure, but Indiana Jones announced platforms and then added PS5 before it even released.

There is definitely a pattern emerging here.

Sure, a multi-platform engine makes multi-platform development easier, that part is definitely true.

But most importantly for the franchise, it takes them away from the reportedly very difficult Slip-space engine, which per Schreier was kind of a nightmare to work on.

Future Halo games probably won't take as long to make once they get the pipeline down.

Last edited:

XXL

Sure, a multi-platform engine makes multi-platform development easier, that part is definitely true.

But most importantly for the franchise, it takes them away from the reportedly very difficult Slip-space engine, which per Schreier was kind of a nightmare to work on.

Future Halo games probably won't take as long to make once they get the pipeline down.
I agree with that.

Top Bottom