• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Halo on Unreal Engine 5 makes it easier to port it for PS5, fueling multiplatform rumors

there is no need to be upset GIF
Not using the Craig version was a real missed opportunity.

SimTourist

What a travesty. Take the two Halo characters out of the picture in OP and the frame literally looks like a frame from any other UE5 demo we've seen a million times over. The SlipSpace engine demo was much more appealing, artistically unique, and more faithful to Halo. It looks miles better in all areas that actually matter when it comes to a AAA franchise establishing and maintaining its identity.

Bruh, that was a CGI video made by a contracted studio, nothing to do at all with the actual engine or 343 in general. A complete fabrication lol

clarky

Gold Member
I mean, it's kind of obvious.

Same reason Sea of Thieves went to Playstation... it's a live service game.

Also, the more players, the better.
Please expand on this inside information as to what the next Halo title is.

As far as the rumours go they are remaking CE first. Not a live service title. Unless you know different.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
What a travesty. Take the two Halo characters out of the picture in OP and the frame literally looks like a frame from any other UE5 demo we've seen a million times over. The SlipSpace engine demo was much more appealing, artistically unique, and more faithful to Halo. It looks miles better in all areas that actually matter when it comes to a AAA franchise establishing and maintaining its identity.

I guess you didn't notice all the reports talking about the technical challenges they had with the engine.

Especially technical debt from 25 year old legacy code adding complexity and restricting flexibility.

Imagine doing training and troubleshooting under such conditions... Resource-wise it would be completely unsustainable.

And btw, the general look and feel is not supposed to be coming from the engine per-se but the artists.

Last edited:

Z O N E

Please expand on this inside information as to what the next Halo title is.

As far as the rumours go they are remaking CE first. Not a live service title. Unless you know different.

They said they're working on MULTIPLE Halo projects, not just CE.

It's very obvious they'll release the next Halo MP title free like they did with Infinite. Releasing a full priced multiplayer game these days is pretty much asking for it to be DOA.

clarky

Gold Member
They said they're working on MULTIPLE Halo projects, not just CE.

It's very obvious they'll release the next Halo MP title free like they did with Infinite. Releasing a full priced multiplayer game these days is pretty much asking for it to be DOA.
Thats a lot of assumptions.

Flintty

Am I supposed to be triggered? I’m not. If Halo is gonna be on PlayStation going forward, it’s one less reason to own every console next gen 🤷🏻‍♂️ If I don’t need the new Xbox, I won’t get one.

Top tip: Devote your loyalty to the game franchises you love, not the console maker 🤡

clarky

Gold Member
Am I supposed to be triggered? I’m not. If Halo is gonna be on PlayStation going forward, it’s one less reason to own every console next gen 🤷🏻‍♂️ If I don’t need the new Xbox, I won’t get one.

Top tip: Devote your loyalty to the game franchises you love, not the console maker 🤡

Sounds like your trying to convince yourself there champ.

Z O N E

Not a live service title. Unless you know different.

I mean, just like your assumption? That's literally every discussion online. Assumptions.

So, yes, I AM assuming we'll have a free multiplayer portion like we got with Infinite. Not sure why you're trying so hard to want to be right. People online can have DIFFERENT opinions when no facts are out there.

clarky

Gold Member
I mean, just like your assumption? That's literally every discussion online. Assumptions.

So, yes, I AM assuming we'll have a free multiplayer portion like we got with Infinite. Not sure why you're trying so hard to want to be right. People online can have DIFFERENT opinions when no facts are out there.
Just going off the rumor that the next game is CE, which as far as im aware is not a live service game. I asked if you had heard different no need to get your back up.

Z O N E

Just going off the rumor that the next game is CE, which as far as im aware is not a live service game. I asked if you had heard different no need to get your back up.

I never said CE is going to be a live service game...

The next main Halo project will most likely be one as they will obviously need to make money back with seaon passes/store or something similar.

No one releases big IP multiplayer games these days without some sort of live service behind.

clarky

Gold Member
I never said CE is going to be a live service game...

The next main Halo project will most likely be one as they will obviously need to make money back with seaon passes/store or something similar.

No one releases big IP multiplayer games these days without some sort of live service behind.
Looks like we have our wires crossed because i was thinking of the next strongly rumoured Halo game.

But in theory yes I agree with you if they released a mp only live serice Halo title then yes it would make sense for it to be multiplatform

Radical_3d

100% me! Is it ever possible to really get bored of Halo CE? Straight in for Legendary difficulty if they do, I'd love to see it all again if it's the quality they put out in the Foundry video.
You can’t get bored of it. It’s not the most advance form of the formula but it’s the purest form of it.

Z O N E

Looks like we have our wires crossed because i was thinking of the next strongly rumoured Halo game.

But in theory yes I agree with you if they released a mp only live serice Halo title then yes it would make sense for it to be multiplatform

I think they're probably using the CE remake as a way to get experience using UE before they use it for the next mainline Halo titles.

Easier to work on a game when you already have all the locations, scenes and stuff from the previous title and can then focus on seeing how to implement it to work with UE.

clarky

Gold Member
100% me! Is it ever possible to really get bored of Halo CE? Straight in for Legendary difficulty if they do, I'd love to see it all again if it's the quality they put out in the Foundry video.
I would be 100% down for a full remake of CE. I absolutely love it but there is loads they could improve on, the repeating stuff, more enemies ( for parts the beach landing) etc etc.

Plus if they can't even get that right then theres no need to be excited for Halo ever again. Get it right though and it could reignite the flame.

Flintty

I guess this is the current Halo thread so here ya guys go

Yeah, I don't think Halo being ported or not ported to other platforms is the biggest problem for the franchise right now

100% and there have been other really good videos talking about the disease currently infesting 343 (Bubba is great for this)

I’m not 100% sold but the Foundry video showed what appears to be a bunch of normal people who actually live Halo. So I’m tentatively hoping for the best, but preparing for disappointment I guess.

Edit: Oof (regarding the above post)

Last edited:
Unfortunately for Richard this has nothing to do with Multiplatform porting (regardless if it happens) but more to the fact that the Slip space engine is simply a revision of the original Blam engine which dates back to Halo CE. It's simply not up to the task with generating state of the art visuals anymore.

jataple

Neo Member
I still have my doubts about halo going to other consoles that arent xbox, but if this really happens some day, I will not log in in forums, I will just watch how this plays out, will be one of these days that everyone will always remember, not because of the halo going to playstation or nintendo, it will be remembered because of the all the defenders of consoles having an epic battle online, oh man, it will be crazy I think if this happens

Top Bottom