• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Halo on Unreal Engine 5 makes it easier to port it for PS5, fueling multiplatform rumors

FireFly

What a travesty. Take the two Halo characters out of the picture in OP and the frame literally looks like a frame from any other UE5 demo we've seen a million times over. The SlipSpace engine demo was much more appealing, artistically unique, and more faithful to Halo. It looks miles better in all areas that actually matter when it comes to a AAA franchise establishing and maintaining its identity.

If you watch the making of video for the 2018 trailer, you'll discover it was intended to be a vision of what a new Halo title could be. It was engineered from the ground up to create "Halo" feelings, whether or not anything that was shown was shippable in a game. On the other hand Project Foundry was an internal project to build content that could ship in future titles, and was not intended for outside viewing.

“Where this type of work’s been done historically, across the industry, it can contain a lot of smoke and mirrors,” explains Matthews. “It sometimes leads players down paths where they believe it’s going to be one thing, and then something else happens. The ethos of Foundry is vigorously the opposite of that.

"Everything we've made is built to the kind of standards that we need to build for the future of our games," Matthews said. "We were very intentional about not stepping into tech demo territory. We built things that we truly believe in, and the content that we've built--or at least a good percentage of it--could travel anywhere inside our games in the future if we so desire it."

Despite all this, if you take a random shot of the 2018 trailer without any of the characters, I don't think anyone could tell that it was supposed to be from the Halo Universe. Indeed when it was shown live, streamers were speculating that it was a Far Cry or Rage sequel! It has cinematography and emotion and perfectly scored music, and then when you add in the Halo characters, it seems incredible. But really the excitement is for smoke and mirrors. While with Nanite, everything we've seen could appear in a game.

Edit: And actually if the classic Halo biomes are Pacific Northwest forest, Artic and Floodified zones, then I think the latest footage does a much better job of realising these elements than the 2018 trailer, which mainly features large open spaces that could be from a Far Cry game.

Last edited:
Halo is a dead franchise, multiplatform won't save it.

Pretty much this

I’d possibly get MCC on PS5 for the nostalgia but that’s it.

I remember the weekend I played Halo 4 and being so disappointed with it. I’ve certainly had no interest in playing 5 or Infinite.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member

"Fucken cunt scum".

HHzdRNz.gif

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Halo is going to PlayStation out of desperation their fans have low self esteem, and I’ll give infinite credit it’s pretty but Microsoft got too comfortable with halo, just being honest.

like a boss mic drop GIF

intbal

First, there was NetImmerse. Then it was modified and renamed to Gamebryo. Then it was modified and renamed to Creation Engine. It's not uncommon for engines to last for decades without a clean sheet start. Source Engine is nothing more than a long string of upgrades from the original Quake engine from the mid-90s.

I'm sure that Slipspace is just a downstream variant of the same Bungie engine that's been in use since the first Halo game. But, after Guardians, they had to make heavy modifications to bring it up to modern (at the time) visual standards at 60fps (on One X), while still being compatible with the hideously underpowered and esoteric Xbox One, and also allowing for the newer architecture and visual features possible with the Series consoles.
I'm betting it's bloated beyond belief in its attempt to work well with all those machines and requirements.

Regardless of the potential multi-platform nature of future Halo installments, Slipspace needed to go.

clarky

Gold Member
The worst thing about all this Halo news is the next installment is its likely at least 5 years away on current dev cycles and that would be 8 years since the last entry.

One thing is for certain is aint coming to Playstation any time soon, or xbox for that matter

It better be good.

Astray

The worst thing about all this Halo news is the next installment is its likely at least 5 years away on current dev cycles and that would be 8 years since the last entry.

One thing is for certain is aint coming to Playstation any time soon, or xbox for that matter

It better be good.
That latest trailer is clearly for recruitment purposes too.

Herr Edgy

on current consoles... there isn't really much more than that no.
these systems are quite literally just laptop PCs built into a fancy case. not only laptop PCs, but Laptop PCs that use the exact same architecture as well
No, that's really not true. There is far more than hardware and CPU architecture.
Dev Kits, CI/CD, platform APIs (file system, input system, achievements, online platform to name a few), scalability settings.
These things do not just work out of the box.

Iced Arcade

I can see Halo remakes releasing on PlayStation and new mainline games remaining on Xbox/PC.

But it's phil and they change directions every 3 months so who knows lol

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
What a travesty. Take the two Halo characters out of the picture in OP and the frame literally looks like a frame from any other UE5 demo we've seen a million times over. The SlipSpace engine demo was much more appealing, artistically unique, and more faithful to Halo. It looks miles better in all areas that actually matter when it comes to a AAA franchise establishing and maintaining its identity.

And with today's tech, this demo looks doable. Hell, I'd say there's more than enough power in the Series X to make a better looking game with the same aesthetics.

shamoomoo

This trailer isn't really proof of what the Slipspace engine is capable of, this could've just been a proof of concept.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This trailer isn't really proof of what the Slipspace engine is capable of, this could've just been a proof of concept.
Wasn't the point he was making. The point that he was making was that the Slipsace engine just looked more attractive and faithful to Halo and that it's a travesty that it never panned out and they're now moving to a more mainstream and generic engine.

clarky

Gold Member
Wasn't the point he was making. The point that he was making was that the Slipsace engine just looked more attractive and faithful to Halo and that it's a travesty that it never panned out and they're now moving to a more mainstream and generic engine.
That trailer did, however the final product was so far removed from it, its hardly believeable that the final game and that trailer are even running the same engine at all.

The trailer nailed the look completely. Infinite not so much.

The new renders they showed yesterday, worse than both imo.

shamoomoo

Sure,but UE5 can be custom tuned,the biggest issue with switching engine is the feel of a game.

NonPhixion

Pretty sure they’re doing a warm up project of remaking Halo: Combat Evolved. We may see this soon(TM) and perhaps on more than Xbox/pc.

Halo 7(?) is obviously a few years away and will just be a next gen Xbox/pc title.

clarky

Gold Member
Pretty sure they’re doing a warm up project of remaking Halo: Combat Evolved. We may see this soon(TM) and perhaps on more than Xbox/pc.

Halo 7(?) is obviously a few years away and will just be a next gen Xbox/pc title.
The chatter is a CE remake on all platforms with a multiplayer only title to follow, again on all platforms.

Personally a full remake of CE with the shit bits cut(all the repeating assets) and new bits shoved in is a dream if they get it right.

Last edited:

kevboard

No, that's really not true. There is far more than hardware and CPU architecture.
Dev Kits, CI/CD, platform APIs (file system, input system, achievements, online platform to name a few), scalability settings.
These things do not just work out of the box.

these things also don't stop anyone from making a PS5 port of a game that already runs on the same architecture with broadly the same hardware features.

my point is that UE5 is not an indication of them wanting to port to PS5. they can already do that now without any issue

Mattyp

Gold Member
Playstation was unable to run whatever engine Halo used to be running?

Could have easily, Slipspace is just a renamed and modified Blam! Engine that Destiny still runs on now.

The numbers on this game would be huge if it launched on PS6 and Xbox at the same time.

Unreal engine swap I could see as an excuse to redo MCC perfection yet one more time and day drop on both next gen consoles as well.

Last edited:

Fess

Wow, who would have thought about that? Thanks digital laundry for your superb insights
Lol yeah, in short DF is just out fishing for clicks. Console war puts food on their table and what better way is there to engage fanboys than hinting that Playstation fans might get Halo and Xbox fans might lose Halo exclusivity?

The less exciting reality is that this is likely many years away, like 5 or more, Microsoft will have already had their PC-Xbox out for a couple years and PS6 will be out as well. Who knows how the gaming landscape will look at that point? Microsoft might already be a 3rd party publisher. And I doubt that PS5 versions would be an interesting topic. But DF wants their clicks.

Shrap

Who gives a fuck. Porting it might be the final nail in the coffin for Xbox as a console platform but Halo has been dead for a long time anyway.

Herr Edgy

these things also don't stop anyone from making a PS5 port of a game that already runs on the same architecture with broadly the same hardware features.

my point is that UE5 is not an indication of them wanting to port to PS5. they can already do that now without any issue
I agree moving to UE5 does not imply wanting to port.

I guess with IGN now owning DF one needs to get used to the trolling.

I take it given we've had a needless remake of Until Dawn whose engine also switched to Unreal 5, it's coming to the Xbox *rollseyes*

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I guess with IGN now owning DF one needs to get used to the trolling.

I take it given we've had a needless remake of Until Dawn whose engine also switched to Unreal 5, it's coming to the Xbox *rollseyes*
Sounds like you need to take a vacation to an island somewhere.

Last edited:
The ports only seem to be going in one direction.
We'll see have to see. I think this was done more for an engine issue than a porting issue. It's not like Indy switched over to Unreal to make a porting job easier and like we've seen with SEGA's Dragon engine and the like Games can be ported pretty easily to both consoles, even if a game used propriety tech built around one console.

Top Bottom