• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dino Crisis Released 25 Years Ago Today (July 1st)

I know the mod community deserves all the praise for their commitment and free updates to all they do, but sometimes I wonder, after all the effort they put into this patches/mods if they can just go the extra mile and improve their "Getting Started" guides. Whenever I go into any of their websites is always a cluster of terms and words that sometimes make only sense to them and not to the regular player. Example: https://classicrebirth.com/index.php/dino-crisis-classic-rebirth/

WHAT’S CLASSIC REBIRTH?​

Classic REbirth is a set of patches for CAPCOM’s Survival Horror PC ports, currently supporting Resident Evil 1-2-3 and Dino Crisis 1-2. This patch is specifically aimed at the Japanese SourceNext release: it won’t work with the MediaKite release (the two executables are virtually identical and yet very different for some reason), but if you have the install data from any Japanese version you can use the SourceNext patch provided in the download section to make it compatible with Classic REbirth.

Japanese SourceNext release - What is this?
it won’t work with the MediaKite release - What is this?

Not to mention what would you even need to download (and install?) from the download links provided. Maybe this is not the best example but I see this everywhere on the mod websites.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I know the mod community deserves all the praise for their commitment and free updates to all they do, but sometimes I wonder, after all the effort they put into this patches/mods if they can just go the extra mile and improve their "Getting Started" guides. Whenever I go into any of their websites is always a cluster of terms and words that sometimes make only sense to them and not to the regular player. Example: https://classicrebirth.com/index.php/dino-crisis-classic-rebirth/

Japanese SourceNext release - What is this?

Not to mention what would you even need to download (and install?) from the download links provided. Maybe this is not the best example but I see this everywhere on the mod websites.

The wording is a bit vague, I agree. But I guess the understanding is that people using this Classic Rebirth mod are familiar with the previous ones for the RE games.

I'll try my best to answer these for you.

-

apanese SourceNext release - What is this?

Mediakite and Sourcenext are small Japanese only distributors / porters who handled the RE / Biohazard / Dino Crisis (and other) ports in Japan.

Mediakite is basically the original PC release of the game.

SourceNext re-released the games in the mid 2000's to make them more compatible with modern OS. It's like Good old Games re-releasing older PC games to be compatible with newer computers.

This, Dino Crisis patch, specifically only works with the Sourcenext re-release. You will need to acquire a copy of that yourself.

-

In this specific example, the only thing you *need* is the .dll file that goes in the same folder as your games main executable. After that, whenever you launch the game, it will open to a config menu before booting where you can change resolutions and other settings to be more compatible with modern PC's.

There are other optional packs like higher quality movie and audio files, and the steps on where those are copy pasted are in the readme files within those packages, fairly straight forward stuff.

-

skit_data

Would be so damn cool they gave it the RE Remakes-treatment. I only played the original waay later. Crazy to think that I missed out on such an iconic dinosaur game at the time being, I assume my 8 year old self just started to distance himself from the subject due to the fear of being called nerdy.
What a fucking coward.

I skipped Dino Crisis back in the day. I just vaguely remember thinking it looked kinda dumb.

I don't think I missed out on much.
The original I dislike strongly (inventory system is a nightmare, weapons suck, progression is convoluted), but the gameplay in the second game puts a lot of PS2 action games to shame and never overstays its welcome. You should take a look at some gameplay footage to decide whether it interests you.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I skipped Dino Crisis back in the day. I just vaguely remember thinking it looked kinda dumb.

I don't think I missed out on much.

Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Good times, I might replay the whole series.

Crazy to think we only got 2 games from this.

I hope they remake 1 and make a 3rd game one day.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Not a fan, it's one of those games people my age elevate because we grew up with or enjoyed the games in the past. Like Twisted Metal or Parasite Eve for example. Developer thinks there's a big demand for the title because of a nostalgia fueled loudmouth minority and the sales end up disappointing.

DC would still be the better bet compared to Exoprimal (mega flop) and Kunitsu gami (it will most definitely flop hard).

Facts/sales show that Capcom has been riding this new found goodwill due to remakes exclusively (dmc5 and mohun excluded), most of their other newer IP's...they tend to flop - DD2 included which is being met with a lukewarm reception.

It is what it is, but, a new dino crisis remake in the vein of re2re/re3re/re4re would sell well imo

Last edited:

Generic

DC would still be the better bet compared to Exoprimal (mega flop) and Kunitsu gami (it will most definitely flop hard).

Facts/sales show that Capcom has been riding this new found goodwill due to remakes exclusively (dmc5 and mohun excluded), most of their other newer IP's...they tend to flop - DD2 included which is being met with a lukewarm reception.

It is what it is, but, a new dino crisis remake in the vein of re2re/re3re/re4re would sell well imo
I wonder what will happen with Capcom when the remake fountain runs dry.

PSYGN

My parents were strict about what games I could play. They were like nah to zombies but shooting dinosaurs was ok 🤷‍♂️

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I wonder what will happen with Capcom when the remake fountain runs dry.

I mean, they always have MoHun and SF to fall back to AND they will continue to make RE sequels - those are the safe bets since they already have a fan base, plus, their "layout" is already established.

The problem lies in creating new IPs - how long ago was Pragmata unveiled ? besides the "sorry for the delay" dev messages we still don't know if it's indeed coming or if it's gonna be scrapped all together.
Also, remember deep down ? that never came to be...

Dead rising could be another franchise that's about to be rejuvenated/ receive either a sequel or a couple of remakes (the new DR deluxe remaster points towards that).

Shit man, Capcom has so many nice IPs that could work with but instead they choose the obvious, easy way.
What about a new Onimusha ? A new Viewtiful Joe ? A new Lost planet ? A new Maximo/proper, full 3D Ghost n goblins ? What about Gargoyle's quest ? How about revisiting (again) Bionic commando ? (the western developed PS360 reboot wasn't great).

Mother fuckers be sitting on a goldmine of franchises /IPs and yet...

Top Bottom