• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Director doesn't rule out switching to Unreal Engine 5 for Part 3 of Final Fantasy VII Remake

Duchess

Some purists will try and convince you to play the original on PS5 because everything new somehow sucks
Rebirth is my GOTY, for sure. It was rather funny, as I haven't played FF7 since 1998, and I was quite certain they had changed a load of the events in the update.

Imagine my surprise when I looked at a walkthrough for the original game, and it's damn near identical, including some of the mini games. I was quite surprised at just how faithful they had actually been.

But if there was one thing I could change about Rebirth, just one little thing (Warning - MASSIVE, MASSIVE SPOILER):

I wish they had held back the Cloud + Aerith vs Sephiroth battle for literally the final fight in Part 3, just before Cloud uses Omnislash V5 against Sephiroth. That would've been perfect. I'm glad we got to experience the battle, but I wish they'd saved it for Part 3. There's a number of ways that Cloud could've continued to do stuff with Aerith, since I recall that at one point Cloud falls into the life stream, and disappears for a chunk of the game.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Great idea!

They could then remake part 1 and part 2 of the remake in new remakes.
And also possibly split them up, so we could have:

Final Fantasy 7: Remake: Part 1: Remake 2: Part 1
&
Final Fantasy 7: Remake: Part 1: Remake 2: Part 2

This whole remake thing of FF7 is just an exercise in real world satire.
This used to be one game at the cost of one game, FFS!

🤡🤡🤡

Last edited:

Three

A lot of ignorant answers in this thread. Changing to UE5 would allow them to work faster and implement better textures and lighting which the franchise really needed on the first place.

The lighting and textures in both Rebirth and Remake are terrible. These guys dont know how to handle properly UE4 and I am sure that UE5 would make their life much easier
This may be the case once you're up and running with the workflow in UE5 but it often is time-consuming to change the workflow/tools already set in place for your studio for another engine.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
FF7 Rebirth is a great game. Made in just 4 years, with impressive visuals and 60 fps smoothness. It's super fun to play, the combat system is awesome and the world building is superb with lots of fun things to discover. Just stick to what you know and don't fuck it up by switching to a trash engine like UE5, and then have the final game come out 4 years late and completely broken.
This may be the case once you're up and running with the workflow in UE5 but it often is time-consuming to change the workflow/tools already set in place for your studio for another engine.
UE5 is not trash.

I'm guessing they have a project that isn't FF7R3 running and in development using UE5 already and they have those workflows figured out. Square wouldn't experiment with the development of their cash cow. Especially after whining about how much it underperformed.

Three

I'm guessing they have a project that isn't FF7R3 running and in development using UE5 already and they have those workflows figured out. Square wouldn't experiment with the development of their cash cow. Especially after whining about how much it underperformed.
Possibly but it seems they're making that decision still even on FF7R3:

He says he will make a decision based on whether it will be faster to switch engines or whether it is best to make it all at once as it is now.

I was just pointing out that sometimes a "faster to develop for engine" isn't so 'fast' if you need to rework your studios workflow and tools for it so they will take that into consideration too.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

They've been working on the final entry since around June 2022. When they announced Rebirth there was a dev comment saying work on the final entry is already underway.
If that’s the case how is it possible that they are even still thinking about switching engines!?

That’s quite laborious endeavor and there is no way it wouldn’t result in delays.

Last edited:
I don't think UE5 will help them with their texture issues, tho. LOD stuff? Sure. Lightning? Possibly (they still need to know what they're doing but they have an easier time to do it). I don't know how their build systems and tool pipeline looks like, so who knows if that move will make their lives easier. It's up to them to evaluate that, I guess. UE5, much like UE4, has a lot of good things and a lot of bad things. So it really depends on what you want to do and how you go about doing it.
Some of the cool things that UE5 allows you to move certain environments around in real-time which should make level design less tedious. Also, moving to a new engine sets up a framework for their future games instead building from scratch when they are done with FF7.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The recent Hellblade 2 DF interview stated that the video they showed with that Giant fight was actually in Unreal 4, and that switching to Unreal 5 was not as difficult as you would think and was done later than you would expect. I think they would mostly be able to carry over what they have now, and are just assessing if doing that would save time or add time.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
The recent Hellblade 2 DF interview stated that the video they showed with that Giant fight was actually in Unreal 4, and that switching to Unreal 5 was not as difficult as you would think and was done later than you would expect. I think they would mostly be able to carry over what they have now, and are just assessing if doing that would save time or add time.

It depends on how much custom code a game has.
A complex game like FF VII probably has a lot more custom code, than a tech demo like Hellblade 2.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
It depends on how much custom code a game has.
A complex game like FF VII probably has a lot more custom code, than a tech demo like Hellblade 2.
They talked about working for years just to get the streaming fast enough on the helicopter shot transitions. But yeah, cool dig at Hellblade bro.

If they’re gonna do it, just do it and rip off the band-aid. It’ll probably add a year+ to their development timetable tho. And it might not make this current-gen before PS6 launches.

MikeM

Gold Member
I just hope they release it on PC as well same time as PS. The perf mode on Rebirth made it an auto no-buy until it comes to PC which sucks as I wanted to platinum every game. Maybe PS5 Pro will fix the clarity issues though…

Hudo

I just hope they release it on PC as well same time as PS. The perf mode on Rebirth made it an auto no-buy until it comes to PC which sucks as I wanted to platinum every game. Maybe PS5 Pro will fix the clarity issues though…
Unless they have a contract with Sony that requires temporary exclusivity of the third game as well, we might have actually a good chance of seeing the third game either being released on day-one on PC as well or at least fairly close to the console release. Square's upper management said that they want to be more multi-platform.

hinch7

I'm good if they stuck to UE4. Would rather play the game sooner than them mess around with UE5 and delay/slow down progress.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
they shipped the game 6 months ago and still havent made the decision? what have they been doing the last 6 months? jerking each other off?
So games don't even have a pre-production stage anymore? You release a game and that's it, 6 months later you're in full production for the sequel like that?

They could have also worked on a PC port and PS5 Pro enhancements meanwhile, who knows.

E-Cat

The games are already a mess narratively, so all I'm interested in now is getting an as technologically up-to-date FF7 world simulator as possible. So I'm all-in for a 2028 PS6-exclusive FF Remake Part 3 running on UE5.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So games don't even have a pre-production stage anymore? You release a game and that's it, 6 months later you're in full production for the sequel like that?

They could have also worked on a PC port and PS5 Pro enhancements meanwhile, who knows.
6 months should be enough for a pre-production stage for games. At the very least they shouldve made a decision already.

Plenty of games that started development in 2020 made that decision to switch to UE5 and then shipped games in 2023 and 2024. Including hellblade 2 which didnt switch to UE5 until after 2021. They were in full production. Robocop, Immortals, Remnant 2, Black Myth, No one wants to Die. All transitioned during production.

FF7 devs shouldve had an engineering team work in tandem to upgrade their engine while the main team worked on the first sequel. They didnt. They wasted four years. Then they shouldve been hands down working on upgrading to UE5 after launching in February. They didnt. This is why game development is in such disarray. piss poor management.

SlimySnake

Seems unnecessary to change now. Just finish the trilogy on UE4.. switching will cost time and money
Good thing they are charging $70 to make some of that money back.

And much smaller c-tier devs have been able to switch to UE5 mid development. its not some insanely complicated feature for professional developers 40 years in the business.

Last edited:
And much smaller c-tier devs have been able to switch to UE5 mid development. its not some insanely complicated feature for professional developers 40 years in the business.

That's exactly because their c-tier studios with smaller scope, I imagine FF7 PT 3 is going to be an extremely large game, so more resources, time and effort will be needed to move over everything onto UE5, and also implementing the feature sets (like Lumen and Nanite) in a way which is sufficiently acceptable in regards to performance.

I rather them deliver it on UE4 if it weens we won't get a 1080p shimmering mess on UE5.

Go_Ly_Dow

If that’s the case how is it possible that they are even still thinking about switching engines!?

That’s quite laborious endeavor and there is no way it wouldn’t result in delays.
My guess is:

1. They've assessed that switching to UE5 isn't as difficult as we'd think and so it's a possibility to do that now even when they've made a good start on development

or

2. They've already decided to switch or made the switch to UE5, but won't reveal this until the game is announced and so this is an early hint of sorts.

I'm not fussed either way whether it's on a customised UE4 or UE5 but I'm going to go with 2, that they're making/have made the switch.

Astral Dog

I don't think this is worth it. The original took only 3 years to make and this will take what, 15 years? It's ridiculous.
The scope is not even close to comparable

All said and done i think FFVII Remake would be the most ambitious Remake project ever made

Sorcerer

This sounds like there telegraphing to not expect the game till Playstation 6. I wonder if Sony made a deal with Square to make sure to each part was released for successive consoles. Playstation 4, 5, and finally 6.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

My guess is:

1. They've assessed that switching to UE5 isn't as difficult as we'd think and so it's a possibility to do that now even when they've made a good start on development

or

2. They've already decided to switch or made the switch to UE5, but won't reveal this until the game is announced and so this is an early hint of sorts.

I'm not fussed either way whether it's on a customised UE4 or UE5 but I'm going to go with 2, that they're making/have made the switch.
I guess this could happen, but then we aren't going to see 3rd part in 2027 :(.

Go_Ly_Dow

I guess this could happen, but then we aren't going to see 3rd part in 2027 :(.
I was expecting 2027, 3 years after Rebirth. Rebirth was 4 years after Remake, but I think the 2nd part set the foundation in a bigger way for the final game so it should be a bit quicker.

StereoVsn

I was expecting 2027, 3 years after Rebirth. Rebirth was 4 years after Remake, but I think the 2nd part set the foundation in a bigger way for the final game so it should be a bit quicker.
That was my thought as well... but if they are switching engines in the middle, I don't see that happening. I really hope I am wrong.

SlimySnake

The engine and visuals didn’t seem like the problem with the last game.
if you watch the DF review, you will see that it actually looks worse than FF7 2020 in spots. The visuals are extremely underwhelming outside of cutscenes due to poor lighting, shadows and material quality.

Going to a more modern engine where a lot of this stuff is handled by the engine without needing artist intervention is probably a good idea.

Final-Fantasy-7-Rebirth---PlayStation-5---The-FULL-Digital-Foundry-Tech-Review-6-2-screenshot.png

Final-Fantasy-7-Rebirth---PlayStation-5---The-FULL-Digital-Foundry-Tech-Review-6-11-screenshot.png

Top Bottom