• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

jlevel13

Kaijima said:
I didn't mind the change in focus from Dirt 1 to 2, but the campaign in Dirt 2 was an unbelievably repetitive grind past around the halfway mark. Literally no new content, just tiny alternations of previous events. Usually "race this exact same event over again, with a car model that is virtually identical to the model used the first time".

Dirt 1, although it seemed to have a little more variety, got to be a bit of a grind too - that huge pyramid of events! At least with 2 & 3 we got/get proper online modes - which is where most of the fun is anyway.

Neuromancer said:
This seems to be a problem with driving games in general, at least for me. I'm not sure what the solution is when there are only so many tracks in the game.

But Dirt 2 was low on content beyond all other games. As soon as I was level 10 (that's like what, 2/3 hours of game time?) I was repeating tracks left and right. Dirt 3 gives you more rally tracks, yet only 4 locations, I don't like that, how hard is it to put 2 tracks in 2 or 3 of the other locations that you have in the game? But apart from that, there's more locations overall and more variety, and it seems you'll have fresh content for a reasonable amount of time. That's great.

I would honestly not mind if they put Dirt 1/2 tracks on 3. It'd be a fantastic package overall.

The games are extremely fun though and I played Dirt 2 online quite a bit. Looking forward to this one.

I do prefer Dirt over Dirt 2, it felt like a Colin McCrae A LOT more than the Dude Bro Dirt 2. While D2 was still fun, the X-games approach and general atmosphere of the game just felt too....

2h4al1x.jpg

While I congratulate the developers for putting out a quality game that is more about rallying this time than shitty repetitive X-games events, I just can't get behind it because of the abomination that is GFWL. Therefore, I will be waiting until it's on sale for 25% of the rrp.

Square Triangle said:
I do prefer Dirt over Dirt 2, it felt like a Colin McCrae A LOT more than the Dude Bro Dirt 2. While D2 was still fun, the X-games approach and general atmosphere of the game just felt too....

2h4al1x.jpg
Supposedly that extreme attitude stuff was tuned down a little for this game. Should be an improvement.

Peterthumpa

I NEED SCISSORS said:
While I congratulate the developers for putting out a quality game that is more about rallying this time than shitty repetitive X-games events, I just can't get behind it because of the abomination that is GFWL. Therefore, I will be waiting until it's on sale for 25% of the rrp.
Wait, wait, so GFWL is an abomination but for 25% off it becomes a non-issue? Go figure.

Loxley

Just used my L.A. Noire $20 pre-order credit from Amazon on my pre-order for this, $39.99 with day one shipping.

<3 Amazon, can't wait for Tuesday.

*edit - PS3 version

felipepl said:
Wait, wait, so GFWL is an abomination but for 25% off it becomes a non-issue? Go figure.

75% off.

I refuse to support shit, so i'll be voting with my dollars by not giving them the full asking price. If they want all the money, they have to remove GFWL.

dubc35

Neuromancer said:
Supposedly that extreme attitude stuff was tuned down a little for this game. Should be an improvement.
Agreed, the game should more closely mirror WRC/IRC and not gymkhana. I'm not against a gymkhana or autocross game but don't disguise it as a rally game. ...and the less dude bro, the more win IMO

Kuran

Banned
Is this anywhere near as good as the original Colin McRae for PS1? That game was ludicrously fun to play.. these latest Codemasters game seem like they are too flashy for their own good.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Square Triangle said:

2h4al1x.jpg

I get why they went there with Dirt 2 because in real life that part of the sport was getting a lot of attention. The part Rally part Action Sports thing was really getting sort of hot despite what the purests thought. It also helped that it was part of the X Games thing so it piggy backed into events and tv spots where Rally never really would have been shown like ESPN. Obviously the sport has more traction in the EU.

That being said I don't mind them going that route with Dirt, BUT only if I knew we were also getting something more akin to the OG CM series. Sort of like I don't mind their being different takes on sports games or even other racers. I see there is room for the gamut from the hardcore sim, to the middle of the road, to the arcade thing, and beyond. We just aren't getting that sim or something closer to sim aspect filled right now.

PS: Are we getting a demo?

Peterthumpa

I NEED SCISSORS said:
75% off.

I refuse to support shit, so i'll be voting with my dollars by not giving them the full asking price. If they want all the money, they have to remove GFWL.
LOL

Anyway, a pity for you , and good for me I guess, never had any problems with GFWL.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On a side note it's amazing how I was glued to my seat watching the IGN Plan B trailer from the OP but the Gymkhana IGN Trailer I didn't even make it through 30 seconds off. If it was 110% the former I'd be buying this day 1, but since it's got a lot of the latter I'm waiting for the sale.

Full Recovery said:
So what improvements from dirt 2 to dirt 3 engine wise? (console)
Well at the very least there will be weather effects (rain and snow) and time of day options, both of which are new.

Brettison said:
PS: Are we getting a demo?
I don't think so, this time around. Dirt 1 and 2 both had prerelease demos so I think it would have been out already.

Shaneus

Day 1, suckers. Am I right in noticing that there aren't any trucks or any other non-sedan (you know what I mean) vehicles? Fucking hope so.

BTW Even though the OP mentions Steam, it'll be using GFWL so PC users will need to post their Live ID for sweet, sweet multiplayer action.

Edit: My Live ID is Shaneus2k2 (should be the same for GFWL), +10 GMT (Eastern Australia)

Great OP, too. RIP Colin :(

Square Triangle said:

2h4al1x.jpg

Amen, D2 was awesome, but I had to turn down the voices to 0 to get through the menus. I think I might either get this for my PS3 (1080p 42") or the PC (24" WS LCD 1080p) because I have the Fanatec Porsche Wheel that works with both.

Decisions, decisions ....

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Gonna wait until my birthday in a little over 2 weeks to play this :D Can't wait and will see you guys online(PC version) :)

Ballistik

PC or 360... decisions decisions. I know my PC can handle it and it is cheaper, and you do get Dirt 2 for free, but I play on my 360 and I know some friends that might get it on the 360. Gaaahh...

Shaneus

flyinpiranha said:
Amen, D2 was awesome, but I had to turn down the voices to 0 to get through the menus. I think I might either get this for my PS3 (1080p 42") or the PC (24" WS LCD 1080p) because I have the Fanatec Porsche Wheel that works with both.

Decisions, decisions ....
Technically you won't be playing it at 1080p on PS3. You'd also have a better chance of playing it at 60fps if you're on PC.

PS. *Still* with the GFWL hate, people? If you buy it on Steam you barely even know it's there. If I had a choice b/w 60fps 1080p w/ GFWL or 30fps 720p with XBL or PSN (lol) I know what I'd choose.

Shaneus said:
PS. *Still* with the GFWL hate, people? If you buy it on Steam you barely even know it's there. If I had a choice b/w 60fps 1080p w/ GFWL or 30fps 720p with XBL or PSN (lol) I know what I'd choose.

Yes, because the hate is totally unwarranted... we are just going to roll over and forget all the anguish that it continues to cause.

Due to GFWL shitiness, one day I stopped being able to sign in to my XBL account. I lost my Dirt 2 and Dead Rising 2 saves because you need to be signed in to use saves (wat). I also lost the ability to get achievements, play online, get patches, and also get future DLC. I am not going to go back to consoles because of it; but it's frustrating nontheless since a far better competitor in the form of Steamworks exists. I'd rather just pick up Dirt 3 at a heavily reduced price since i'm relegated to offline and can't use half its features.

Bebpo

Banned
Any word on how the PC version runs? Dirt 2 despite looking PHENOMINAL, ran pretty close to 60fps near-maxing on my very modest setup. If the performance is around the same as Dirt 2 I'll day 1 this for sure since it'll look and run great. If it needs higher specs...will have to wait until I get a new 3d card.

Blimblim said:
Embargo up tomorrow at 3PM CET. 8 videos to go with my review :)

please post when your review is up!

Looking forward to every delectable minute of footage and reading.

For those wondering, 3PM CET is 7AM PST.

Top Bottom