• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Blimblim said:
Yeah, I don't care about these, I just pass them if I don't need them to get enough points to move on

I thought they were kind of fun back then :p

so the career is a bit more like dirt 1 or rsc2, where you can pick events you want to race only, skipping the shit ones, and still earn enough to progress?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
op_ivy said:
so the career is a bit more like dirt 1 or rsc2, where you can pick events you want to race only, skipping the shit ones, and still earn enough to progress?
Yep. I didn't try doing only the Rally events (I actually find the Gymkhana fun for what it is) so I can't tell for sure if it's doable or not. Of course, you need to get the gold in every single event if you want your the triangle that represent that season to turn gold too, but the next seasons are still unlocked without it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man these short rally race reports had me back away from the pre-purchase button.

Why the fuck can't Codemasters just do a game full of point-to-points/hill climbs that are all 10+ miles?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Stallion Free said:
Why the fuck can't Codemasters just do a game full of point-to-points/hill climbs that are all 10+ miles?
Because modeling such huge environments with credible details would be cost prohibitive, most likely. It's not like they only have to create a track and let you race on it.

Blimblim said:
Because modeling such huge environments with credible details would be cost prohibitive, most likely. It's not like they only have to create a track and let you race on it.
I don't know. Dirt 1 had a lot of rally tracks and they were really long (maybe not 10 miles but longer than Dirt 2's), and they looked great.

1-D_FTW

Dirt 2 had a number of tracks that were 3 minutes long. From what I can tell of Dirt 3, it seems they all max out at about 1.5.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blimblim said:
Pikes Peak in Dirt 1 was exactly what I want. And really? I mean playing the cost card? I play NFS Hot Pursuit and I have loads to tracks that are 10+ miles. I don't mind if they remix tracks. reuse assets from each location.

Drop the trucks and all that other silly bullshit and then those people can work on real racing content. Stadium tracks prolly require more detail and effort than a 10+ mile hill climb.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Stallion Free said:
Pikes Peak in Dirt 1 was exactly what I want. And really? I mean playing the cost card? I play NFS Hot Pursuit and I have loads to tracks that are 10+ miles. I don't mind if they remix tracks. reuse assets from each location.

Drop the trucks and all that other silly bullshit and then those people can work on real racing content. Stadium tracks prolly require more detail and effort than a 10+ mile hill climb.
NFS:HP is an open world game. And while the environnements look very good, they are nowhere near as detailed as Dirt 3's.
If stadium races are what help pay for another great Rally racing game because they bring more audience to the title, then so be it. Look at how poor Milestone's WRC title looked for an example of what I don't want to see ;)
Neuromancer said:
Hey Blimblim, how many options are there for co-drivers' voices and what are they? Thanks.
Two options, simple indications like the one in my videos, or advanced indications.

1-D_FTW

Blimblim said:
Nah, some tracks are quite long too.

Good to know.

Blimblim said:
NFS:HP is an open world game. And while the environnements look very good, they are nowhere near as detailed as Dirt 3's.
If stadium races are what help pay for another great Rally racing game because they bring more audience to the title, then so be it. Look at how poor Milestone's WRC title looked for an example of what I don't want to see ;)

Two options, simple indications like the one in my videos, or advanced indications.

Actually loved the Santa Monica, London, Tokyo tracks in Dirt 2. But those were really short. I was just worried because I saw like 5 stages of Finland and they all seemed to end after 1:30.

Blimblim said:
No I mean like are there different co-drivers to choose from? Dirt had 1 (a dude), Dirt 2 had two (a dude and a girl). Thanks.

In dirt 2 if you selected time trial you could race any class car on any track, was fun to drive rally cars on circuits and trails you never get to do in single player career stuff, you could do this online in private matches too.

op_ivy

Blimblim said:
Yep. I didn't try doing only the Rally events (I actually find the Gymkhana fun for what it is) so I can't tell for sure if it's doable or not. Of course, you need to get the gold in every single event if you want your the triangle that represent that season to turn gold too, but the next seasons are still unlocked without it.

if i can stick with rally, trailblazer, rally cross, and gymkhana all the way through the career (should be easily doable!) i'm thrilled.

Diablohead said:
In dirt 2 if you selected time trial you could race any class car on any track, was fun to drive rally cars on circuits and trails you never get to do in single player career stuff, you could do this online in private matches too.
Yeah doing the landrush events with rally cars was awesome, that Baja Peninsula track was beautiful.

op_ivy

Speedymanic said:

"Dirt 3 may tick all the expected boxes, but it only rarely musters the ambition to step beyond these parameters. It’s a fun racing game, but it plays almost painfully by the numbers in terms of the wider experience"

thats an odd statement for a game that features such diverse racing disciplines, a gymkhana stunt arena (a first!), and some really intriguing mulitplayer party games which typically are only featured in "party mode" centric games like midtown madness.

HeliosT10

op_ivy said:
"Dirt 3 may tick all the expected boxes, but it only rarely musters the ambition to step beyond these parameters. It’s a fun racing game, but it plays almost painfully by the numbers in terms of the wider experience"

thats an odd statement for a game that features such diverse racing disciplines, a gymkhana stunt arena (a first!), and some really intriguing mulitplayer party games which typically are only featured in "party mode" centric games like midtown madness.

Strange comment about not liking the branding on the liveries as well, that's what they are like in real life and I'm sure we'd take a lot of flak if we didn't recreate them accurately :p

If when you guys get the game you run across any bugs btw, please post them up in our official bug reporting thread - http://community.codemasters.com/fo...5-official-bug-reporting-thread-new-post.html

Cracking job on the |OT| btw, looks ace :D

Everdred

Just Pre-Ordered on steam. Really looking forward to it. Only thing that can fill the absence of Rallisport Challenge.

op_ivy

Helios_CM said:
Strange comment about not liking the branding on the liveries as well, that's what they are like in real life and I'm sure we'd take a lot of flak if we didn't recreate them accurately :p

If when you guys get the game you run across any bugs btw, please post them up in our official bug reporting thread - http://community.codemasters.com/fo...5-official-bug-reporting-thread-new-post.html

Cracking job on the |OT| btw, looks ace :D

yeah, i thought that was funny as well. clearly not a fan of the genre

1-D_FTW

Bloodworth said:

Looks even better than I anticipated. I'll completely ignore the drifting events, but otherwise, so good.

It's a shame PC doesn't let you have longer replays, though. This surely has to be a memory limitation.

Blimblim said:
My review is up, along with 8 videos (usually race followed by replay). This game is *awesome*. Great job by Codemasters.
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gamersyde_review_dirt_3-11094_en.html

English text isn't as good as I wish it would be, but I did not have time to have it proof read by a native English speaker.

Also finally got around to Blim's review. You guys aren't making it easy on me holding out till June. I might break.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Are there any PC reviews?

Can't wait to slide around a corner in an STi @ 1080p60fps on my KURO

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
op_ivy said:
at least your OG xbox is working. i dragged mine out of the garage a few months back to play rsc2 and it wouldnt read any discs :(

The end of a era. That tournament we had here was a blast.

DKo5 said:
Are there any PC reviews?

Can't wait to slide around a corner in an STi @ 1080p60fps on my KURO
I wonder how well it will perform, Dirt 2 ran really well for me with drops in places, I am tempted to cap this game at 30fps but slap all that honey on and make it look like a bullshot in motion.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Diablohead said:
I wonder how well it will perform, Dirt 2 ran really well for me with drops in places, I am tempted to cap this game at 30fps but slap all that honey on and make it look like a bullshot in motion.

Thats my question. I can do DiRT 2 + Shift 2 with everything cranked at 60fps at 1080p. I'm hoping I won't get any upgrade itches for DiRT 3. Haha, in fact, DiRT 2 is what made me upgrade my GPU when it came out, I've been rocking a Radeon HD5870 since.

op_ivy

Crag Dweller said:
The end of a era. That tournament we had here was a blast.

Yup. were you around waaaay back in the day for the rsc1 tourney stuff at TXB?

hopefully we can get some time attack going here - based on the lists of accounts in the OP, it should be no problem (even cross platform)

Diablohead said:
the opening visuals with the mini doing a rally made my jaw drop, this really is one of the best looking games out there, and i'm guessing it's 360 footage right? my pc is going to cry tears of joy trying to run this and it will LOVE IT!
Yeah, the review is mostly 360 with a bit of PS3. They weren't giving out early PC copies for whatever reason.

AcridMeat

Banned
op_ivy said:
Yup. were you around waaaay back in the day for the rsc1 tourney stuff at TXB?

hopefully we can get some time attack going here - based on the lists of accounts in the OP, it should be no problem (even cross platform)

I've been talking to a few people about setting up a league similar to the F1 2010 we had. I just need to see how all of the multiplayer stuff works.

op_ivy

from the GT review: "... youtube (and its 30 sec cap) is the only way of saving replays, meaning that you will never be able to save a full race"

is this true? you arent able to, in game, save a full replay? wtf.

op_ivy said:
from the GT review: "... youtube (and its 30 sec cap) is the only way of saving replays, meaning that you will never be able to save a full race"

is this true? you arent able to, in game, save a full replay? wtf.
it's one thing many codemasters racing games lack, replay saves :(

So many f1 2010 replays I would have loved to save but can't, it's rather bullshit really.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Diablohead said:
it's one thing many codemasters racing games lack, replay saves :(

So many f1 2010 replays I would have loved to save but can't, it's rather bullshit really.
That's because they're not really replays. ;)

InertiaXr

I want to buy this at full price so badly, but I just can't.

-Not 100% rally yet.
-UI is too bright and already annoying in the super short videos we've seen. Maybe you can change colors like Fallout has or it at least includes the Dirt 2 UI colors, or even just some transparency setting for it? The bright baby blue looks horrific.
-Rally courses on avg 1min30sec each? What have they done for a full year and a half since Dirt 2?
-GFWL.
-Still no terrain deformation.
-No saving of replays, in 2011.

Steam Winter Sale for $15 for me.

Arklite

InertiaXr said:
I want to buy this at full price so badly, but I just can't.
-GFWL.
Steam Winter Sale for $15 for me.

I'm confused. Does this game still require GFWL install even if bought through Steam?

Top Bottom