• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
My local store already sells this game. 2 Copies left. Woot!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Bebpo said:
Any word on how the PC version runs? Dirt 2 despite looking PHENOMINAL, ran pretty close to 60fps near-maxing on my very modest setup. If the performance is around the same as Dirt 2 I'll day 1 this for sure since it'll look and run great. If it needs higher specs...will have to wait until I get a new 3d card.
I only saw it running on a Q6600 with a GTX570 at a 1680x1050. It ran really well with everything maxed out (iirc). Can't compare to Dirt 2, unfortunately.

Bebpo

Banned
Blimblim said:
I only saw it running on a Q6600 with a GTX570 at a 1680x1050. It ran really well with everything maxed out (iirc). Can't compare to Dirt 2, unfortunately.

Well my card is a GTX260 running at 1920x1080 soooooo yeah, that's a bit different :p I was really surprised how amazingly well Dirt 2 ran on that. I turned some things down a bit like shadows, but for the most part all the textures/lighting/models were maxed and it'd run 60fps even with some AA and 16x AF. It was just really well coded.

Dirt 1:
+ Great tracks (especially Australia)
+ Great car selection
+ Very clean UI
+ Championship mode
- Handling not great (esp. braking)
+/- Online. Good in that everyone raced in exactly the same car, in a time trial, but it felt a little impersonal.

Dirt 2:
+ Beautiful
+ Great soundtrack (My delirium!)
+ Great rallycross events and venues
+ Much improved handling
- Far too few rally tracks, none with the "European" rally feel
- Car selection
- Online dominated by a few cars

All in all I preferred Dirt 1.
Dirt 3 looks great, but I would still prefer online modes where everyboy races in the same car.

Bebpo

Banned
BrokenSymmetry said:
Dirt 1:
+ Great tracks (especially Australia)
+ Great car selection
+ Very clean UI
+ Championship mode
- Handling not great (esp. braking)
+/- Online. Good in that everyone raced in exactly the same car, in a time trial, but it felt a little impersonal.

Dirt 2:
+ Beautiful
+ Great soundtrack (My delirium!)
+ Great rallycross events and venues
+ Much improved handling
- Far too few rally tracks, none with the "European" rally feel
- Car selection
- Online dominated by a few cars

All in all I preferred Dirt 1.
Dirt 3 looks great, but I would still prefer online modes where everyboy races in the same car.

Eh. I thought Dirt 1's career mode was too long and boring and the handling sucked. Dirt 2 came along with much better handling, a faster paced career mode, and a huge visual jump. The only real downside was the lack of tracks so you ended up doing the same ones over and over and over again after a half-dozen hours. Plus the lack of Rally tracks and short length of the Rally tracks.

All I want out of Dirt 3 is Dirt 2 with a much higher track count, more % rally tracks and a well paced career mode where you feel like you're always making progress.

That's true. At the end of a region in Dirt 2 you mastered the hell out of a track to the point you could be sleepy and still do the turns like a pro.

saladine1

So has anyone got the game yet?

I really hope that the handling has been reworked to add a little more realism. I understand Codies going the half/half route for the casuals out there, but at least err on the side of sim rather than arcade. I'll be more than happy if they just added some weight to the cars.
Either way, looking forward to some pure rally once again..

saladine1 said:
So has anyone got the game yet?

I really hope that the handling has been reworked to add a little more realism. I understand Codies going the half/half route for the casuals out there, but at least err on the side of sim rather than arcade. I'll be more than happy if they just added some weight to the cars.
Either way, looking forward to some pure rally once again..
My game was sent in the post yesterday, hopefully it arrives tomorrow for the weekend.

nofi

cjelly said:
All the videos I've seen show rally stages that are between 60-90 seconds, which is just pathetic.

Yeah, they're quite short. Not enough rallying in the game either, shitty rallycross is shitty.

Stubo

CTRL+F "Trophy trucks" 0 results
CTRL+F "Trucks" ...
Shaneus said:
Day 1, suckers. Am I right in noticing that there aren't any trucks or any other non-sedan (you know what I mean) vehicles? Fucking hope so.
Oh yes, hype get!!

Shaneus

I did read somewhere (I think it was in that Codies post) that there was a Hummer in there. Expectations lowered slightly, but I'm glad we're on the same page :)

Ranger X

Stubo said:
CTRL+F "Trophy trucks" 0 results
CTRL+F "Trucks" ...

Oh yes, hype get!!

Wrong!

preorder cars said:
Texaco Racing Team
Ford Fiesta Open Class
Opel Manta 400
Monster Sport SX4 Hillclimb Special
Stadium Truck

Brembo Racing Team
Fiat 131 Abarth
Toyota Tacoma
Abarth Grande Punto S2000
Stadium Buggy

Team Yokohama
Lancia Delta HF Integrale
Renault Alpine A110 1600S
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JUN

Mobil 1 Performance Team
Audi Sport Quattro Rallye
Ford RS200 RallyX
VW Race Touareg 2

So yeah, all the non-sedan vehicles are in the game, they are simply not showing them. It's just like Dirt 2.

Shaneus

They didn't show them in trailers/previews for Dirt 2? Obviously they know that most people don't like them, why put them in in the first place?

Grrr.

If the rally sections are good, it will be an instant purchase. Looking for some of the reviews mentioned in the first post (there are 6 or so), but as of this moment, I cant even find it on metacritic.

Eurogamer gave it a 9 -- http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-20-dirt-3-review

And for the main event, Codemasters has succeeded in curating another superlative festival of driving. It’s a package more inclusive than any of its predecessors, shot through with the quiet innovations that have defined the studio’s more recent efforts. With its off-road events celebrating the series’ past and Gymkhana presenting a potentially bright new future, it’s another great racing game from an outfit that’s proving itself to be a master of its craft.

iNvid02

cant believe they scrapped retail in UK, i bought DIRT 2 quite late for just £5.
will wait for a price drop

Blimblim

The Inside Track
kamorra said:
Is there a big difference between the 360 and PS3 version?
If the previous Codemasters racing games are any indication, the differences should be minimal. PS3 has the edge over racing wheels support, as usual.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Sanjay said:
No I meant did you pick up the PC version? or did you see it on sale and just walked by saying Woot!

Would like to see the graphics options and maxed out pictures.
Oh, no. I haven't bought it yet. I will get the PC version from Steam. Quick question: If i buy the game today (PC) from that store i can't play it right? Game = Steam only activation?

Raggy

Banned
Blimblim said:
My review is up, along with 8 videos (usually race followed by replay). This game is *awesome*. Great job by Codemasters.
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gamersyde_review_dirt_3-11094_en.html

English text isn't as good as I wish it would be, but I did not have time to have it proof read by a native English speaker.

Thanks

DiRT 3 is an excellent game, and Codemasters should be commended for not just doing yet another sequel with no real additions when they are basically the only ones still releasing Rally titles. Unless you are completely uninterested in this nice racing style, DiRT 3 is a title that should find a place of choice in your collection.

You have the WRC game released last year.

Anyhow; Can you play local MP against each other like in Colin 01-05? With a ghost car?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Raggy said:
You have the WRC game released last year.
I've blocked this game out of my mind ;)

Raggy said:
Anyhow; Can you play local MP against each other like in Colin 01-05? With a ghost car?
I believe I've mentionned it in my review, but yes you can (and you can add up to 6 AI cars at the same time if you want)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
epmode said:
Nothing ever is (...as good as rallisport challenge 2). SIGH

Can't believe we never got a PC port of that one. I hate dragging out the OG Xbox.

at least your OG xbox is working. i dragged mine out of the garage a few months back to play rsc2 and it wouldnt read any discs :(

---

why has there been zero media (screens/video) on the buggies or trucks? i'm not a fan, but i am curious to see how the handling improvements crossed over to the different modes

saladine1

Blimblim said:
My review is up, along with 8 videos (usually race followed by replay). This game is *awesome*. Great job by Codemasters.
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gamersyde_review_dirt_3-11094_en.html

English text isn't as good as I wish it would be, but I did not have time to have it proof read by a native English speaker.
Thanks Blim. Excellent write-up.
Sounds very promising especially the added weight of the cars.

Some people believe that adding weather or night racing is a waste of resources that could've been used elsewhere. I say bullshit. When it comes to racing games, featuring weather conditions and time variation gives legs, adds variety to an otherwise seemingly mundane task of driving around in circles or to a point under the exact same conditions over and over and over again. I'm ecstatic that Codies finally delivered in this respect for DIRT 3 and hopefully, Turn 10 will follow suit with their racing game..

Blimblim

The Inside Track
op_ivy said:
why has there been zero media (screens/video) on the buggies or trucks? i'm not a fan, but i am curious to see how the handling improvements crossed over to the different modes
No buggies. No trucks.

op_ivy

are... you serious?

when they said 60% rally, i assumed that meant 40% bullshit (buggies and trucks). there are no buggies or trucks in landrush even?

holy shit if true, this just skyrocketed the game into rsc levels of awesomeness

Blim's review said:
Let’s continue with the Rallycross and Landrush events, fun but not so original races for 8 cars or trucks.

wait, what?

sneaky77

I thought I saw a preview from vvv on Youtube that had buggies on it. Either way codemasters did say they toned down that kind of racing

op_ivy

sneaky77 said:
I thought I saw a preview from vvv on Youtube that had buggies on it. Either way codemasters did say they toned down that kind of racing

yeah, i think blim just wont do videos of them ;)

i wonder what percent of the game features buggies/trucks if the rally (and trailblazer) component is 60%. between rally cross, gymkhana, and landrush, it cant be much.... right?

BlimBlim said:

ahhh, those! thankfully codies ditched them after dirt 1 - never to be seen again

Wow nice reviews, was on fence before that

Presumably I can use my 360 controller to play the PC version?

Also, is there a reason to play Dirt 2 if I am getting Dirt 3? I only like rally driving events through beautiful terrain, am not interested in circuits/races that kind of thing. So it may make Dirt 2 useless to me.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
op_ivy said:
yeah, i think blim just wont do videos of them ;)
Yeah, I don't care about these, I just pass them if I don't need them to get enough points to move on

op_ivy said:
ahhh, those! thankfully codies ditched them after dirt 1 - never to be seen again
I thought they were kind of fun back then :p

nib95

Banned
PS3 or PC....hmm...

50" Plasma or 24" monitor. Can't be arsed to connect the PC to the plasma, just thinking about the electricity consumption + the G25 scares me lol.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Blimblim said:
If the previous Codemasters racing games are any indication, the differences should be minimal. PS3 has the edge over racing wheels support, as usual.

Sounds good, thanks!

Anyone know why the PC version isn't available for purchase on Amazon? I know Steam is an option, but I'd rather use the credit I have saved up.

EDIT: Sorry, missed there part where there is no PC Retail release of this. That kinda sucks. Oh well, Steam it is.

Top Bottom