• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

I managed to get it to feel good, though some people in the steam community discussion say it works, others say it does nothing, everyone's setup is different so of course YMMV.
I've tried it on a T500, TX and I even resurrected my old DFP out of desperation... they all exhibit the same bizarre behaviour. It doesn't feel right at all, it's almost (but not quite) like the feedback is inverted.

Can justbiglee or anyone confirm if the game is protected against modding or if CM are just "neutral" on it like DiRT 3? I'm loving the Group B cars in the game but I'm secretly hoping someone will make their historic liveries.

Someone on the forums for the main Dirt website has started some mod work and put up a couple screenshots. I'd like to see them add a custom livery designer (like how Forza handles it). I know that type of system would take a while to implement though.

310560_2015-04-29_000ptur5.png

310560_2015-04-29_00054um8.png

310560_2015-04-29_000qiu3t.png

310560_2015-04-29_000gsuld.png

310560_2015-04-29_00070u6o.png

Loving it.

flashmouth

Neo Member
Enjoying every video + screen, since I still can't even start the game. It's either Error 41 or the logo disappears after 1sec and nothing happens. Bummer.

justbiglee

Neo Member
Yep, thought the same so I took a (terrible) off-screen, slow-motion Vine

water splash is so cool and we have come a long way from colin mcrae rally 1's water splash effect

Just had an email from Pete the VFX guy, he says...

"can you send along a thanks form the vfx guy? I’m really happy they’re enjoying the water splashes (and the game) ;)"

Enjoying every video + screen, since I still can't even start the game. It's either Error 41 or the logo disappears after 1sec and nothing happens. Bummer.

We're talking to Valve about this and trying to work out what it is, we think it might be something to do with the download servers but not 100% sure yet. Will let you know when I hear more.

riflen

How much free space do you have on your system volume? If you read the thread you'll see that others have solved Error 41 by freeing up at least 3GB.

robatw

So I have a Logitech G27 wheel and a Xbox 360 Controller. Is it really better and more fun with the wheel? Cause I don't like to play racing games which are not optimized for wheels. Are there good setting available for the G27?

Or should i just play with the controller?

MaLDo

Just had an email from Pete the VFX guy, he says...

"can you send along a thanks form the vfx guy? I’m really happy they’re enjoying the water splashes (and the game) ;)"

We're talking to Valve about this and trying to work out what it is, we think it might be something to do with the download servers but not 100% sure yet. Will let you know when I hear more.

Hi Lee. Congrats on the new development approach in this saga.

Taking advantage of this situation I would like to propose something I think is essential about that Error 41 that some users are suffering because not having 3 free gigas in their C: unit. Codemasters games replays take up too much HD space. Too much.

On one hand, it is important that this requirement was a reduced a bit. And secondly, it is essential you will allow users to change the path where it is stored. Nowadays many people try to have the operating system in a SSD where user folder is stored by default. Having a few gigas for every installed Codemasters game only for replays is crazy. Another idea would be to share the same replay file for all your games, as should be emptied by closing each game. I remember a few years ago creating empty replay files with 'only read' checked to save HD space playing F1 and Grid titles :(

flashmouth

Neo Member
How much free space do you have on your system volume? If you read the thread you'll see that others have solved Error 41 by freeing up at least 3GB.

Yeah, read that, but I got somewhere 70gb of space, it's an ssd with only DiRT installed besides OS and stuff.
I also tried everything else you can read about error 41 multiple times, but nothing helped yet. Really weird since everything is working fine on my laptop.

Jibbed

So I have a Logitech G27 wheel and a Xbox 360 Controller. Is it really better and more fun with the wheel? Cause I don't like to play racing games which are not optimized for wheels. Are there good setting available for the G27?

Or should i just play with the controller?

This is definitely a wheel-orientated game, trust me. It's a simulator, don't let the 'DiRT' in the title throw you off.

270 degrees in the Logitech profiler, everything else default. You can then tweak the FFB, vibration etc. to your liking in the game menus.

The_Monk

For those who still don't have the game, please keep those screenshots coming my good people, I'm loving these! The game is looking great, can't wait to try myself those sections with rain and snow.

This is definitely a wheel-orientated game, trust me. It's a simulator, don't let the 'DiRT' in the title throw you off.

270 degrees in the Logitech profiler, everything else default. You can then tweak the FFB, vibration etc. to your liking in the game menus.
That may be the intention but at the moment it is highly questionable. If robatw doesn't like playing games 'not optimised for wheels', I would not recommend this title in its current state, as I would describe it as exactly that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
while the game doesnt look bleeding edge great (graphically speaking), the helicopter replay cameras, showing the VAST draw distances at the same level of detail as the track side stuff, sure is STUNNING. really makes the track seem "seated" in an actual real, solid, environment. no fake 2-d backdrops, no immersion breaking corners cut. i'd love to see that be a user selectable replay angle to drool over full replays showing off these lovely environments.

Jibbed

That may be the intention but at the moment it is highly questionable. If robatw doesn't like playing games 'not optimised for wheels', I would not recommend this title in its current state, as I would describe it as exactly that.

The only thing 'lacking optimisation' is the FFB. I've had the odd issue with my DFGT but for the most part it seems like wheel users are having fun.

I've heard bad things about trying it with a controller.

justbiglee

Neo Member
Hi all as promised here are the wheel settings the team use (original post)

While DiRT Rally is yours to tinker with we don’t want to encourage modifying the force feedback effectsetup.xml and devicesetup.xml files as we've noticed some users are.

Modifying the wheel to use parameters defined for the controller (pad) or replacing incompatible previous game FFB files are likely to compromise your experience of the game. It’s not how the game is made to be played and we can’t offer any support for the consequences of modifying this data and how it will affect the game.

We are totally open to feedback and if you feel that the FFB is not behaving how you would like you need to talk to us about it, together we can make DiRT Rally better for everyone.

For now the team has collated their recommended steering wheel settings for the officially supported wheels, Try these out and let us know what you think below, we're happy to work with you all on getting this right but we would advise against the modification to the xml files we've seen floating around the web.

All Wheels - Recommend using 200 – 540 degree (however 270-400 is the sweet spot)

Vibration & Feedback Settings (Recommended)

kAQAsan.png

Advanced Wheel Settings (Recommended)

llvHBd8.png

Logitech G25 & G27

Logitech Profiler Version 5.10.127

Logitech Driver Version 5.10.127

Logitech Profiler Settings

Options -> Global Device Settings

ZmZUtp5.png

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> Logitech G25/G27 -> Properties -> Logitech G25/G27 Racing Wheel Properties -> Settings

3avE5Ko.png

Fanatec Clubsport Base v1 & v2

Driver Version : 205 (BETA)

Firmware version: 53

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers

Note: Connect the Fanatec Pedals via USB

Y8SEyy4.png

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> ClubSport Wheel -> Properties -> Settings

Dj5S2ja.png

Fanatec Clubsport Base Device Tuning Menu

SEN (Sensitivity): SEN default: OFF

FF (Force Feedback): FF default: 100

SHO (Shock): SHO default: 100

ABS default: OFF

LIN (Linearity): LIN default: OFF

DEA (Deadzone): DEA default: OFF

DRI (Drift mode): DRI default: OFF

FOR (force): FOR default: 100

SPR (spring): SPR default: 100

DPR (damper): DPR default: 100

We recommend this official Fanatec Clubsport Wheel setup video:

https://youtu.be/cMP-CDJVock

Thrustmaster T500 RS/F1 Racing Wheel

Firmware: 43

Driver: 2.8.16.0

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> Thrustmaster T500 Racing Wheel -> Properties

Thrustmaster T500 RS Control Panel -> Test Input Tab

lCp22hT.png

Thrustmaster T500 RS Control Panel -> Gain Settings Tab

yB2ryjs.png

Set the wheel’s ‘Pedal Set Position’ mode (LED red/green) depending on your pedal orientation.

Hope that helps you guys out - Please let us know what you think.

Finally started a Career now that the co-driver and pace notes work and....drum roll....I still suck...lmao

I'm ok with it though. I knew it would be an uphill battle for me to get even to a mediocre level of driving. I did the first event on the 60's Open and got 4th for the event with a third place finish in the 4th Stage so I'm actually happy about that. The penalties are what kills me. I still would have finished 4th overall but it would have at least been over a minute closer. I'll try the second event later.

My Mini Cooper got the first engine upgrade though and I hired my first engineer so hopefully soon I can at least try to make a podium finish overall. For an Early Access game I'm loving it and I can't wait for July and August to get here so I can play some Rallycross and be just as bad in that...lol

One question though for people who have a lot more knowledge on this...I'm using a controller so should I attempt to change the Linearity and Sensitivity and if so what settings are good? I know in some games these have to be changed to get a good sweet spot so any help would be appreciated.

The only thing 'lacking optimisation' is the FFB. I've had the odd issue with my DFGT but for the most part it seems like wheel users are having fun.

I've heard bad things about trying it with a controller.
I disagree. There is no proper 900/1080 rotation support, no clutch, exactly the same strange linearity/saturation/vibration sliders as all the last-gen Codemasters games, no 1:1 animation in the cockpit view (in terms of rotation and an animation filter) and no options to disable hands/wheel.

If someone were to just look at the menus for this game, they'd be forgiven for assuming this was another arcade game from Codemasters, where gamepad was the clear priority.

Hi all as promised here are the wheel settings the team use (original post)

Hope that helps you guys out - Please let us know what you think.
Thanks Lee, is there still an FFB update coming today?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm ok with it though. I knew it would be an uphill battle for me to get even to a mediocre level of driving. I did the first event on the 60's Open and got 4th for the event with a third place finish in the 4th Stage so I'm actually happy about that. The penalties are what kills me. I still would have finished 4th overall but it would have at least been over a minute closer. I'll try the second event later.

Yeah, I'm going to buy this later in the week but to be honest I'm worried it might be TOO hard for me. I find Dirt 1 and 2 challenging for me at times and I even have a G27. I mean I don't mind losing, but I'm wondering if it's possible to progress and earn stuff at all if you never win races?

MaxiLive

Thanks Lee, is there still an FFB update coming today?

I don't think there was going to be an update it was just going to be the controller settings being posted today! I'm sure FFB is being looked into though but would take a few days to tweak I guess. For now the modded files might be more suitable for some wheel users.

Yeah, I'm going to buy this later in the week but to be honest I'm worried it might be TOO hard for me. I find Dirt 1 and 2 challenging for me at times and I even have a G27. I mean I don't mind losing, but I'm wondering if it's possible to progress and earn stuff at all if you never win races?

The reward system doesn't seem that harsh :D I came 5th in the first season and still came out with enough money to afford the next tier of car so I don't think progression is something that is blocked off. I could only afford the lowest spec car of that class though and no additional mods so the higher the place the easier it will probably get due to car upgrades!

Game look phenomenal, and it's great to see Codemasters get DiRT back to what made it great. I really wasn't much of a fan of Dirt 3 or Dirt Showdown but this looks like a massive step in the right direction. Anymore I try to stay away from early access but I'll probably be jumping on this soon when it gets DFGT support.

I don't think there was going to be an update it was just going to be the controller settings being posted today! I'm sure FFB is being looked into though but would take a few days to tweak I guess. For now the modded files might be more suitable for some wheel users.
Ah I think you're right, I misinterpreted that!

MaxiLive

Game look phenomenal, and it's great to see Codemasters get DiRT back to what made it great. I really wasn't much of a fan of Dirt 3 or Dirt Showdown but this looks like a massive step in the right direction. Anymore I try to stay away from early access but I'll probably be jumping on this soon when it gets DFGT support.

I'm not sure if it is natively supported but I have a few friends on Steam using one and they haven't reported any issues!

The "progression" is based on miles driven as far as the upgrades for the cars go. The Team Management is handled by the credits you earn so having more means you can do more things obviously but I don't think running bad really hamstrings you too much. I know others can give a lot better overview on all of this.

Delt31

The ones for the G25/G27 should work with the DFGT.

sounds good. I don't believe my DFGT has that detailed screen to configure settings like the one posted (change FFB, etc) but I just bought it, plugged it in and it worked so maybe I didn't install additional drivers necessary to have that detail?

I'm also trying to figure out the diff b/w FFB and the "centering" effect advertised. Really impressed with it considering I bought it for 40 used.

Dave_6

sounds good. I don't believe my DFGT has that detailed screen to configure settings like the one posted (change FFB, etc) but I just bought it, plugged it in and it worked so maybe I didn't install additional drivers necessary to have that detail?

I'm also trying to figure out the diff b/w FFB and the "centering" effect advertised. Really impressed with it considering I bought it for 40 used.

Yeah you need to download the Logitech Profiler. When I first hooked up my DFGT to my PC I did the same thing but I didn't know any better. The wheel just never seemed to work properly so I figured there had to be some drivers or whatnot that I was missing.

I've since upgraded to a G27 and I haven't had to change anything. Works just like the DFGT did.

You can get a DNF in an event and still continue with the tournament. You will still get credits at the end.

I believe you have to download the software listed on the support page for your wheel

http://support.logitech.com/product/driving-force-gt

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The "progression" is based on miles driven as far as the upgrades for the cars go. The Team Management is handled by the credits you earn so having more means you can do more things obviously but I don't think running bad really hamstrings you too much. I know others can give a lot better overview on all of this.

Excellent, good to hear that. I don't mind challenging games as long as content that I really want isn't locked behind extreme difficulty walls. Placing higher and higher on the podium is reward enough to keep me playing.

I'll probably get some time tomorrow night where I could play this, I think I'll buy it tonight and download it while I sleep (damn farm country ISP!). I need to hook the G27 up for some ETS2 time anyway....

Someone on the forums for the main Dirt website has started some mod work and put up a couple screenshots. I'd like to see them add a custom livery designer (like how Forza handles it). I know that type of system would take a while to implement though.

Missed this at first. That's nice, just hoping we can add new ones to the database instead of having to replace them.

Delt31

Yeah you need to download the Logitech Profiler. When I first hooked up my DFGT to my PC I did the same thing but I didn't know any better. The wheel just never seemed to work properly so I figured there had to be some drivers or whatnot that I was missing.

I've since upgraded to a G27 and I haven't had to change anything. Works just like the DFGT did.

Thanks - def will.

Is the logitech profiler now called Logitech Gaming Software? I can't seem to find the download for just the logitech profiler. I feel like I tried the gaming software and it installed fine but when I loaded it, it said no devices found so maybe I d/l the wrong thing (should have got profiler)?

Dave_6

Thanks - def will.

Is the logitech profiler now called Logitech Gaming Software? I can't seem to find the download for just the logitech profiler. I feel like I tried the gaming software and it installed fine but when I loaded it, it said no devices found so maybe I d/l the wrong thing (should have got profiler)?

Yes it's the Logitech Gaming Software. For whatever reason the wheels won't show up in the devices tab. Just go into the global device settings (like is shown above) and you can make the wheel settings changes there.

Top Bottom