• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

ruttyboy

It's the "busy server" error ? I got it with F1 2014 last year, in the Steam folder, then "depotcache" folder, move the file starting with "310560" (it's the Dirt Rally app ID) to another folder (or delete it, but save it just in case).

Then try to install again, should work right away.

It's 310561 for me, but sadly it doesn't work. Unless you meant delete and reinstall the whole 8GB rather than try to 'Play' as I did once I'd moved the file?

Although now I don't get the Error 41, I just get a half second of splash screen logo and then nothing...

flashmouth

Neo Member
It's the "busy server" error ? I got it with F1 2014 last year, in the Steam folder, then "depotcache" folder, move the file starting with "310560" (it's the Dirt Rally app ID) to another folder (or delete it, but save it just in case).

Then try to install again, should work right away.

thx, haven't read that before, but didn't work for me neither.

saladine1

So my clutch isn't being detected in the game anymore. I'm using the Fanatec Clubsport pedals. It's being recognized in the Fanatec wheel setup utility but not in game. Brake and accelerator are working as is the H pattern shifter.

Any ideas?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
It's 310561 for me, but sadly it doesn't work. Unless you meant delete and reinstall the whole 8GB rather than try to 'Play' as I did once I'd moved the file?

Although now I don't get the Error 41, I just get a half second of splash screen logo and then nothing...

In my "depotcache" folder I got two files related to Dirt Rally : one starting with 310561 and one with 310562, have you tried moving both and maybe restarting Steam ?
I thought 310560 would be there as it's the game ID but no.

thx, haven't read that before, but didn't work for me neither.

I found it by myself getting bored of not being able to install F1 2014 during more than one month, worked twice (on my old and new PC).

Man, this game is tough but addicting. I need to upgrade from this Mini Cooper at some point.

honestly i preferred my mini to the stratos i 'upgraded' to. in a few years i'll be able to wheel that wrx -.-

gonna stream now if anyone wants to check it out, im not gonna blab game sounds with some spotify tunes behind it. first time i'll have a codriver! can't steal the show from that bastard who took the first few days off. gonna finally be able to use first person mode without feeling way too hampered by not knowing the tracks.

gotta slam that monthly challenge first though, only a few days left for it.

haha got unrecoverable right close to the top tier line. oh well, it was kinda bs i coulda drove out of it. gotta take that monthly one like a grandman cos its a freaking endurance which is awesome

So my clutch isn't being detected in the game anymore. I'm using the Fanatec Clubsport pedals. It's being recognized in the Fanatec wheel setup utility but not in game. Brake and accelerator are working as is the H pattern shifter.

Any ideas?
You say 'anymore'... which suggests you were using it before? I don't see any clutch option in the menu...

Gandie

Man, what a game.

This is the game I've always been waiting for. Thank you Codies for listening to the fans. Pure rally, simulation-grade physics.

It's hard with a controller though. I keep oogling wheels on Amazon, not this year though sadly.

Will play a lot more of this the coming days. Beyond excited for Pikes Peak.

Fëanorian;162123658 said:
How big is the download guys?

7,4 GB

dodgeme

Bought this game last night and was having fun with my Dualshock 4, but felt like a lot of other games when using a controller.

However, I got my hands on an older Logitech Driving Force Pro from a Thrift Store today for $10, kind of a coincidence honestly, been looking for a wheel for a while and finally found a decent albeit older one.

Let me say it changes this game 100% using a wheel, can't believe I made it so long before without a wheel. By far the most fun I've had with games in a while.

It's in preferences or driver details. Manual, Manual + H-pattern etc.
Oh! Never came up as an option here - and still doesn't. I have a TH8RS plugged in... 'manual sequential' is my most 'manual' option.

Well I'm glad it's apparently there anyway - I was going to criticise that in my video as a significant oversight!

Afro

What's the incentive for completing the daily/monthly events? Also, should I be able to see my lap time on the leaderboards or do I have to create and link a racenet account?

What's the incentive for completing the daily/monthly events? Also, should I be able to see my lap time on the leaderboards or do I have to create and link a racenet account?

i didn't notice anything from the daily but maybe i missed it. monthly event has huge pots. mid tier is over 100k and not even that hard if you're cautious. top is 200-400k which again is just about patience more than anything really and not gunning it too much

i didn't notice anything from the daily but maybe i missed it. monthly event has huge pots. mid tier is over 100k and not even that hard if you're cautious. top is 200-400k which again is just about patience more than anything really and not gunning it too much

the patch notes mentioned "Fixed the Daily Online events so you will now be correctly rewarded for completing the event" so there's supposed to be something for doing them

benzy

I haven't even touched the career or daily events yet, just been trying out different tracks and cars. Did a rainy night race in Wales with the Impreza.

https://youtu.be/x-30Ul4HV8g

dgsirp.png

DD

Hmm, I get no rain effect when the weather is set at high, but it shows on low. Am I alone on this?

bathsalts

Is the game fun even if you're awful?

Sure is, one of those rare racing games where you don't instant restart if you don't place first in everything. Still manage to feel very good about a squeaking through some tough technical sections or nailing the apex on a hairpin even if you're hella behind on the split time. And you get progress for all the km's driven so it's a really well thought out curve imo.

Wales has taught me that straights are more dangerous than turns.

Monte Carlo has taught me that just because I have grip doesn't mean I'm automatically better.

Somehow I get more green splits on the snowy tracks even though I feel way less in control.

got a podium finish (3rd) for the second event of the 60's Open...that was stressful...every time I screwed up I was like "well there goes my podium" but I got it...one event to go and I'll see what happens (have to do it tomorrow)

also...that Fiat Abarth in the Daily Challenge can go screw itself...lol

Last night I was handling relatively well with the 360 pad but today I cannot stay on the track. Controller dead zone almost seems to have increases, keep just zig zagging across road.

What settings are people using for pad?

paskowitz

Holy crap this game is awesome with the Oculus Rift (DK2). Crashing is absolutely terrifying. Falling off of a cliff at 100mph is something I never wish to experience in real life. I find it more useful than in a circuit racing game like pCARS or AC. In rally, you are constantly looking ahead and in different directions. Also, tiny details like a small rock or rut on the side of the road are critical. This all comes into greater focus with the DK2. If you have one, definitely use it.

Gandie

The co-driver is recorded separately for every track right? Feels that way. And I love the subtle effect on his voice. Really adds to the immersion.

Ark

Having watched several videos of this I'm definitely going to pick it up some time next week I reckon.

Or maybe this weekend, since I've got Monday off. Hmm.

justbiglee

Neo Member
The co-driver is recorded separately for every track right? Feels that way. And I love the subtle effect on his voice. Really adds to the immersion.

Yup, I'm putting a blog post up about them on dirtgame.com later about how we recorded them and what they mean. Our Chief Game Designer is the voice of the co-driver and he actually does rally in the real world.

Here is a video of him and Jon Tucker on stage a few weekends ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPc_VByiNh4

Jon worked at Codemasters as Project Manager and if it wasn't for him, the handling team and a lot of other people in the studio pushing for that feeling you get when you are on stage you could have wound up with another DiRT 3 feeling game.

EDIT (Before I get told off): Not that there was anything wrong with DiRT 3.

Makikou

Yup, I'm putting a blog post up about them on dirtgame.com later about how we recorded them and what they mean. Our Chief Game Designer is the voice of the co-driver and he actually does rally in the real world.

Jon worked at Codemasters as Project Manager and if it wasn't for him, the handling team and a lot of other people in the studio pushing for that feeling you get when you are on stage you could have wound up with another DiRT 3 feeling game.

EDIT (Before I get told off): Not that there was anything wrong with DiRT 3.

First time going through Wales with a 70's Stratos and the co-driver goes "jump stay middle.. maybe".. Like there's a slight bit of hesitation as to should you stay middle. Ahh... :D

benzy

That's awesome. You guys even included that cam in the game.

Night racing is fantastic. Love the real-time headlamps causing all objects to cast shadows. Any chance you guys can give us an option save our replays by the way?

zuuxcd.gif

Hip Hop

Hey guys, what does it mean when you are coming into to a corner and it says DC or Don't Cut? What is the penalty?

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Don't cut basically means there you shouldn't cut the corner because there are rocks close to the edge of the road or other obstacles that can potentially damage your car.

PS:

Longer example and explanation of what everything means (from here)
Pace notes from Acropolis Rally 2004: SS4 / SS7 Pavliani:

1. Start, 30, Keep left over a crest into short 4 right plus opens, 60, crest and 6 right plus and don't cut short 6 left minus.

2. 60, line into 2 right minus over a bump tightens to a hairpin over a ditch.

3. Into 6 left long opens over a crest, 30, 6 right into 3 left plus long don't cut tightens to 1, into a short 1 right plus and short 2 left minus tightens at junction (junction 2 at 0.6kms) 20.

Translation:

1. Start, drive 30 metres then keep left over a crest into a fast fourth gear right-hand corner, accelerate for 60 metres to a crest, then stay in the middle of the road for a sixth gear left hand corner in half throttle.

2. Drive 60 metres, keep to the left hand side of the road for a second-gear right-hand corner, which tightens very badly over a bump, at the same time brake hard for a hairpin over a drainage ditch.

3. Accelerate flat out into a sixth-gear long, left-hand corner over a crest, drive 30 metres then into a sixth gear right-hand corner, brake hard for a third gear left-hand corner in half throttle. Stay in the middle of the road for their are some bad rocks on the inside, and then brake as it tightens to first-gear, immediately changing direction into a fast, first-gear right-hand corner. Then accelerate into a second-gear left-corner past a junction (junction No 2 in the road book at 0.6 Kms), carry on for 20 metres.

Cirruss

Argh, I can't stop playing, I have things to do but i gotta keep trying to improve my times.

I'm just managing to scrape a podium place now, any lapse in concentration during the event and I'm almost straight off the track.

Hey guys, what does it mean when you are coming into to a corner and it says DC or Don't Cut? What is the penalty?

I think it just means there is a hazard if you try to cut it, like an incline or a rock.

Top Bottom