• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

Helznicht

Hey guys, is WRC 4 on PS3 worth $20 ?

I bought it on PC for $7 and feel cheated. Tracks got more hair pins than:

powdered-wig_5.jpg

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Nice run!

Was that the co-driver speaking to you in Spanish? How do I enable that feature in English? Last night my co-driver was only telling me about blown tires. Also, are those turn prompts another feature I can enable?

It's an awful bug that seems to be affecting 90% of the people with the game... no prompts or co-driver vocals.

Codemasters has apparently fixed it but they still haven't released the patch.

It's an awful bug that seems to be affecting 90% of the people with the game... no prompts or co-driver vocals.

they're testing it internally to make sure it doesn't cause other issues...I'm sure they'll have it up soon

plus the CM guy said he'd be back to say when it goes up

Looks awesome, don't know if I can hold out till co-pilot and DFGT patches...............

well the wheel updates don't really have a timeframe of being done...they'll add support to more wheels as they go along but there's no telling how long it will take for each wheel

mrlion

is it me or is there a hooded figure on the right side at the beginning of the gameplay video? kinda creeped me out...

they're testing it internally to make sure it doesn't cause other issues...I'm sure they'll have it up soon

plus the CM guy said he'd be back to say when it goes up

Damn, I must have missed the details about that bug when I was reading through the thread yesterday.

Those features will definitely help me improve my splits!

Deepo

I've never been so proud of a 4th place in a championship before. Absolutely adore the game so far. Playing with a pad so far, waiting for official DFGT support.

Afro

This the most satisfying, rewarding feeling racer I've played in a very, very long time. I can honestly just hop into a custom event and run the same route in Greece in the same Lancia S4 over and over and each run is just as exhilarating as the last. Haven't even touched career mode. Never thought it'd be possible for an Early Access game to be my GOTY.

Using an Xbone pad btw. Sensitivity/linearity maxed, manual trans, handbrake mapped to LB, no assists besides ABS. I'm in love.

ruttyboy

Well I bought it. Can't wait to see how it runs on my sub-minimum spec Dual Core/8800GT/2MB DDR2 beast :D

Even if I can't run it yet, I'm happy to support a proper rally sim, I never thought we'd see another!

murgo

Holy shit, this game is the real deal. I actually had to practice before surviving a track without totalling my car. I LOVE YOU CODIES! :)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It seems that only the US version of the game has the co driver / no indicators bug. Is there a way to trick Steam into grabbing the EU version?

MizzouRah

Just picked it up and did some benchmarks at Ultra Settings 8x MSAA and 1920 x 1080 for those interested. Will update with triple screen benchmarks this evening. Looks like pretty good SLI scaling.

i7-4790k stock
G1 gaming 970 stock
16 gig ram

Min: 62.34 fps
Avg: 72.02 fps
Max: 90.36 fps

i7-4790k stock
2x G1 gaming 970 stock sli
16 gig ram

Min: 90.80 fps
Avg: 108.18 fps
Max: 122.29 fps

Update 5760 x 1080
Avg: 73.05
Min: 60.50
Max: 82.04

This is exactly the game I wanted Codemasters to make! Can't wait to try this out in VR. Also here's my benchmark result:

i5 3570k, GTX970 oc'd. 1080p, MSAA 4x, ultra

<fps_race min_fps="81.955246" max_fps="116.437691" av_fps="95.330803" min_fps_ms="12.201781" max_fps_ms="8.588284" av_fps_ms="10.489789" />

cackhyena

Welp, I've been wanting another Dirt game for a long time. I just bought this on a whim. Hope it can run smooth enough on my i5 3570k and a 670.

Raknar

Neo Member
Welp, I've been wanting another Dirt game for a long time. I just bought this on a whim. Hope it can run smooth enough on my i5 3570k and a 670.

That's my exact setup. You'll be able to max the game no problem. I was recording earlier at 60 fps & 1080p and the game was still running at 60 fps.

saladine1

If you did manage to find a fix for this I'd love to know.

EDIT

We're on it and have fixed it internally - just testing now and I'll swing back and let you know when we have the fix live.

Lee, who is responsible for the audio?

I don't know if there has been any significant changes from previous games but to my ears, it seems to me that someone at Codies has stepped up their game in this department.

Is the audio/design final?

what's up with the engineer perks? all of mine are for 5% decreases to upgrade times. but why would you select a single car, when you can select a drivetype for the same price? or class? also 5% isn't shit lol so i don't feel like those are worth it?

also damn the stratos is a whole new beast to tame, i actually miss my mini. stratos spins out on a dime, it sucks. the grind to get a better car is real now. i can't sell this can i?

what's up with the engineer perks? all of mine are for 5% decreases to upgrade times. but why would you select a single car, when you can select a drivetype for the same price? or class? also 5% isn't shit lol so i don't feel like those are worth it?

also damn the stratos is a whole new beast to tame, i actually miss my mini. stratos spins out on a dime, it sucks. the grind to get a better car is real now. i can't sell this can i?

I think all the perks are tied to mileage driven. So the further you've driven in your career, the better the perks become. But I could be wrong.

Darn. I was thinking it might be pretty good. So what about DiRT 3 and what other options are there on PS3 ?

I played DiRT 3 on PC (therefore can't comment on the port quality) and really enoyed it. Not 10/10 game by any means and don't expect hardcore sim, but for a few races on a lazy afternoon it was really enjoyable.

Jibbed

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. But I'm still hesitant about giving Codies any money, I'm still sore on the F1 games.

Similar boat... was a last-chance purchase for me, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. The F1 game on the other hand... need to wait and see.

Seriously, it's great. Feels like a proper new Colin McRae Rally, rather than DiRT 4 or whatever.

justbiglee

Neo Member
G27 working good for everyone? gonna pick this up tonight I think, probably gonna get wrecked using the H shifter though.

Just as a tip (because its a question we've been getting a lot)

We set the sensitivity in windows to 270 for the G27 in the studio. Hope you enjoy it, would love to hear what you think :)

(and go easy on the shifter :p)

Well I had an outside hope the co-driver bug patch would go up today but sense it's probably almost 1 AM in the UK right now I guess it'll be tomorrow or later...oh well just gotta keep being patient

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Finally decided to boot this up and its telling me the Steam servers are too busy (error 41). I'm now validating game cache. Hopefully that helps.

We set the sensitivity in windows to 270 for the G27 in the studio. Hope you enjoy it, would love to hear what you think :)

Any ideas when we can expect new wheel profiles? My TX needs some love

Jibbed

Can we not just have a wheel wizard-type thing in the game like most racing sims? Or even just a slider where we set it anywhere from like, 270-900?

Just so the game automatically accounts for overall wheel rotation and then it's spot on. I find it really off-putting when the wheel movements don't match that of my own.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Just read in their forums that error 41 is a known issue. I'm getting Dirt flashbacks when that game would fail to start. Not cool.

Mohonky

For those wondering about the sort of high recommendarions of a 780, I'm running a 670 on High preset 1080p, min fps was 62, average in the 80's.

Game is damn awesome. Using a 360 wireless pad, but the way the cars behave is excellent. Its definitely not like other Dirt games where you could take liberty with the edge of the road, if you find yourself straying to the edge of the traxk its easy to hit just a little build up on the side and you are in for an ass clenching ride. I actually find the high speed sections of the track the hardest simply because if the car starts to go out of shape or you just take too much of the inside of the road or wash out to the other side it can instantly ruin your race and there is no rewind. I constantly find myself metering my soeed because once you hit 100kmh it feels like you're doing double and one error will have you cart wheeling or disappearing of the side of a hill.

Serious butt clenching nad shrivelling stuff. I am comfortable now with the 60's vehicles, but I couldnt for the life of me drive the Stratos, the second it began to oversteer I just couldn't catch it, too much momentum, enjoyed the Fiat Abarth though; and when that thing hits 8k rom, you just want to sit on it to listen to it scream.

Only had a single win so far, mostly seconds and thirds at best, and thats pushing it. God knows how hard these later vehicles are going to be...

Top Bottom